The George Washington Law School 2010

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
td6624
Posts: 551
Joined: Sun Jan 31, 2010 6:45 pm

Re: The George Washington Law School 2010

Postby td6624 » Fri Feb 19, 2010 3:10 am

Interminable_Waiting wrote:They are starting to piss me off. I sent my financaial aid counselor (per their website) some questions about NEED-based aid and the FAFSA, and she sent me back that same generic shit that someone posted earlier in this thread.

I mean, come on... at least write me a real email.


Um, when did you send in your FAFSA? We've all sent in FAFSAs, and all FAFSAs are NEED-based. So what exactly are you whining about?

User avatar
Interminable_Waiting
Posts: 342
Joined: Tue Dec 08, 2009 12:17 pm

Re: The George Washington Law School 2010

Postby Interminable_Waiting » Fri Feb 19, 2010 8:24 am

td6624 wrote:
Interminable_Waiting wrote:They are starting to piss me off. I sent my financaial aid counselor (per their website) some questions about NEED-based aid and the FAFSA, and she sent me back that same generic shit that someone posted earlier in this thread.

I mean, come on... at least write me a real email.


Um, when did you send in your FAFSA? We've all sent in FAFSAs, and all FAFSAs are NEED-based. So what exactly are you whining about?


I am unhappy about the fact that I asked pointed questions to her relating to my situation, specifically relating to need-based aid, and she sent me back a canned response, relating primarily to merit-aid, and unrelated at all to my questions.
When I sent in my FAFSA is quite irrevelvant.

jk11287
Posts: 382
Joined: Sat Sep 26, 2009 4:27 pm

Re: The George Washington Law School 2010

Postby jk11287 » Fri Feb 19, 2010 9:29 am

Interminable_Waiting wrote:
td6624 wrote:
Interminable_Waiting wrote:They are starting to piss me off. I sent my financaial aid counselor (per their website) some questions about NEED-based aid and the FAFSA, and she sent me back that same generic shit that someone posted earlier in this thread.

I mean, come on... at least write me a real email.


Um, when did you send in your FAFSA? We've all sent in FAFSAs, and all FAFSAs are NEED-based. So what exactly are you whining about?


I am unhappy about the fact that I asked pointed questions to her relating to my situation, specifically relating to need-based aid, and she sent me back a canned response, relating primarily to merit-aid, and unrelated at all to my questions.
When I sent in my FAFSA is quite irrevelvant.

I too received a pretty annoying generic email; I found that I had much better luck calling. On the phone, the people I spoke to were nice, patient, and informative. Keep in mind that there are three "personal" financial aid counselors for thousands of people, so while its frustrating that they may take awhile to get back to you, you have to realize that you're not the only person with questions. In the meantime, i'd call FAFSA and see if they could fill in any of the blanks for you. Unless you submitted your FAFSA the week it came out, you have to assume that there are people ahead of you in "line" who are being taken care of first...

law_lover
Posts: 63
Joined: Wed May 27, 2009 12:02 pm

Re: The George Washington Law School 2010

Postby law_lover » Fri Feb 19, 2010 4:54 pm

Waitlisted today. This is going to be a fun cycle.

DCCPA
Posts: 1
Joined: Fri Feb 19, 2010 7:22 pm

Re: The George Washington Law School 2010

Postby DCCPA » Fri Feb 19, 2010 7:25 pm

Waitlist today. Should I include in my LOCI the fact that my fiance is a current GW 1L?

User avatar
ryguy
Posts: 328
Joined: Fri Sep 11, 2009 11:13 am

Re: The George Washington Law School 2010

Postby ryguy » Fri Feb 19, 2010 7:29 pm

DCCPA wrote:Waitlist today. Should I include in my LOCI the fact that my fiance is a current GW 1L?

Don't do it. They don't care about your fiance.

User avatar
cherryalamode
Posts: 301
Joined: Fri Jan 22, 2010 10:26 pm

Re: The George Washington Law School 2010

Postby cherryalamode » Fri Feb 19, 2010 7:32 pm

Got WL. SIGH.

How far do they dig into their WL?

User avatar
ccs224
Posts: 465
Joined: Fri Sep 18, 2009 11:27 pm

Re: The George Washington Law School 2010

Postby ccs224 » Fri Feb 19, 2010 7:36 pm

ryguy wrote:
DCCPA wrote:Waitlist today. Should I include in my LOCI the fact that my fiance is a current GW 1L?

Don't do it. They don't care about your fiance.


I dunno, I would mention it and say that, because of your already strong attachment to GW via your fiance, you would absolutely accept admissions if it's offered (if this is the case).

User avatar
JusticeHarlan
Posts: 1434
Joined: Tue Dec 15, 2009 2:56 pm

Re: The George Washington Law School 2010

Postby JusticeHarlan » Fri Feb 19, 2010 7:37 pm

cherryalamode wrote:Got WL. SIGH.

How far do they dig into their WL?

Sorry to hear that. Had you been deferred from ED?

User avatar
ryguy
Posts: 328
Joined: Fri Sep 11, 2009 11:13 am

Re: The George Washington Law School 2010

Postby ryguy » Fri Feb 19, 2010 7:39 pm

ccs224 wrote:
ryguy wrote:
DCCPA wrote:Waitlist today. Should I include in my LOCI the fact that my fiance is a current GW 1L?

Don't do it. They don't care about your fiance.


I dunno, I would mention it and say that, because of your already strong attachment to GW via your fiance, you would absolutely accept admissions if it's offered (if this is the case).

Please come up with something better!

User avatar
ryguy
Posts: 328
Joined: Fri Sep 11, 2009 11:13 am

Re: The George Washington Law School 2010

Postby ryguy » Fri Feb 19, 2010 7:40 pm

cherryalamode wrote:Got WL. SIGH.

How far do they dig into their WL?

I am sorry!! It's hard to say, maybe 25 to 50.

User avatar
cherryalamode
Posts: 301
Joined: Fri Jan 22, 2010 10:26 pm

Re: The George Washington Law School 2010

Postby cherryalamode » Fri Feb 19, 2010 7:42 pm

JusticeHarlan wrote:
cherryalamode wrote:Got WL. SIGH.

How far do they dig into their WL?

Sorry to hear that. Had you been deferred from ED?


Yup.

User avatar
cherryalamode
Posts: 301
Joined: Fri Jan 22, 2010 10:26 pm

Re: The George Washington Law School 2010

Postby cherryalamode » Fri Feb 19, 2010 7:42 pm

ryguy wrote:
cherryalamode wrote:Got WL. SIGH.

How far do they dig into their WL?

I am sorry!! It's hard to say, maybe 25 to 50.


Out of.... 200? 500?

User avatar
ryguy
Posts: 328
Joined: Fri Sep 11, 2009 11:13 am

Re: The George Washington Law School 2010

Postby ryguy » Fri Feb 19, 2010 7:46 pm

cherryalamode wrote:
ryguy wrote:
cherryalamode wrote:Got WL. SIGH.

How far do they dig into their WL?

I am sorry!! It's hard to say, maybe 25 to 50.


Out of.... 200? 500?

About 200. But you could email or call and ask how big is their waitlist, and how many last year they took from said list.

User avatar
cherryalamode
Posts: 301
Joined: Fri Jan 22, 2010 10:26 pm

Re: The George Washington Law School 2010

Postby cherryalamode » Fri Feb 19, 2010 7:50 pm

ryguy wrote:
cherryalamode wrote:
ryguy wrote:
cherryalamode wrote:Got WL. SIGH.

How far do they dig into their WL?

I am sorry!! It's hard to say, maybe 25 to 50.


Out of.... 200? 500?

About 200. But you could email or call and ask how big is their waitlist, and how many last year they took from said list.


Thank you. Who are you, lol? You're quite knowledgeable. You're not a lurking GWU adcom are you? LOL.

User avatar
ryguy
Posts: 328
Joined: Fri Sep 11, 2009 11:13 am

Re: The George Washington Law School 2010

Postby ryguy » Fri Feb 19, 2010 7:58 pm

HaHa. Not an adcom, just an avid reader...Found out alot about waitlists.

User avatar
UF Gators
Posts: 207
Joined: Mon Mar 30, 2009 12:57 am

Re: The George Washington Law School 2010

Postby UF Gators » Fri Feb 19, 2010 8:13 pm

ryguy wrote:
ccs224 wrote:
ryguy wrote:
DCCPA wrote:Waitlist today. Should I include in my LOCI the fact that my fiance is a current GW 1L?

Don't do it. They don't care about your fiance.


I dunno, I would mention it and say that, because of your already strong attachment to GW via your fiance, you would absolutely accept admissions if it's offered (if this is the case).

Please come up with something better!

Horrible advice. You should go ahead and mention the fact that your fiance is a current student. It's a good idea to include any practical reasons for wanting to stay in the area.

User avatar
cherryalamode
Posts: 301
Joined: Fri Jan 22, 2010 10:26 pm

Re: The George Washington Law School 2010

Postby cherryalamode » Fri Feb 19, 2010 8:23 pm

Pussy Galore wrote:Horrible advice. You should go ahead and mention the fact that your fiance is a current student. It's a good idea to include any practical reasons for wanting to stay in the area.


Pussy may just be trying to screw you over, lol.

But seriously, I don't see why it would hurt if you did include it.

User avatar
FromRussiaWithLove
Posts: 72
Joined: Thu Jul 02, 2009 3:23 am

Re: The George Washington Law School 2010

Postby FromRussiaWithLove » Sat Feb 20, 2010 12:00 pm

I know someone recently visited the school and had a bad experience. I just wanted to put in my .02

First of all, the school was closed for a while due to the snow storm and President's Day. I visited them on the first day they were back in the swing of things. The admissions office had a giant tub of sealed envelopes just waiting to go out. So for anyone expecting a letter from them, I am guessing your letter was in this monstrous heap.

I met both the assistant director of admissions and the director of financial aid. They were all very pleasant and helpful, answered all of my questions, and made me feel welcome. I took a tour and the facilities are much nicer than the law schools I had visited last year. I will say that it is quite confusing at first to find your way around. Some students paid us no attention, others were quite friendly. During part of the tour we were looking through the glass in the door into a study room that had been reserved by a group. The tour guide did not want to disturb them, but one of the students inside opened the door and told us to come on in and check out the room. This is no monumental gesture, but it shows that not all of the students at GW are as hostile as the ones in the previous poster's experience.

I am going to be attending GW this fall so I came to DC to check out the housing situation. If anyone has any more questions about the tour or housing options, ask away.

User avatar
chicoalto0649
Posts: 1172
Joined: Sat Dec 06, 2008 11:34 pm

Re: The George Washington Law School 2010

Postby chicoalto0649 » Sat Feb 20, 2010 3:52 pm

Rejected in a letter dated feb 10th. Figured I could have gotten a lil more consideration but whatever. Not liking my chances at BC and Fordham now. Stats in profile. Went complete Jan 5th.

td6624
Posts: 551
Joined: Sun Jan 31, 2010 6:45 pm

Re: The George Washington Law School 2010

Postby td6624 » Sat Feb 20, 2010 6:05 pm

FromRussiaWithLove wrote:
I am going to be attending GW this fall so I came to DC to check out the housing situation. If anyone has any more questions about the tour or housing options, ask away.


How did the housing search go? Are you looking to live near the school?

User avatar
nematoad
Posts: 421
Joined: Thu Dec 10, 2009 3:06 pm

Re: The George Washington Law School 2010

Postby nematoad » Sat Feb 20, 2010 9:12 pm

just got dinged from ED, 162/3.4. was expecting it but depressing nonetheless. retake and maybe next year :x

User avatar
JusticeHarlan
Posts: 1434
Joined: Tue Dec 15, 2009 2:56 pm

Re: The George Washington Law School 2010

Postby JusticeHarlan » Sat Feb 20, 2010 11:20 pm

Just checked the mail, wait list from GW was waiting for me. Had been deferred ED, dates/stats in LSN in profile.

Anyone else who got wait listed, was there a form to be filled out and returned? I don't think I saw one in my envelope.

User avatar
cherryalamode
Posts: 301
Joined: Fri Jan 22, 2010 10:26 pm

Re: The George Washington Law School 2010

Postby cherryalamode » Sat Feb 20, 2010 11:38 pm

JusticeHarlan wrote:Just checked the mail, wait list from GW was waiting for me. Had been deferred ED, dates/stats in LSN in profile.

Anyone else who got wait listed, was there a form to be filled out and returned? I don't think I saw one in my envelope.


Hey JH, looks like you and I are in the same boat! There was nothing with the letter, but the letter DOES say to MAIL anything additional to them (like a LOCI). So NO emailing them the LOCI.

Do you think everyone knows to do a LOCI? It feels like every 0L goes to TLS but I know that's not true at all... but still feels like it... and we know all the tricks!

User avatar
JusticeHarlan
Posts: 1434
Joined: Tue Dec 15, 2009 2:56 pm

Re: The George Washington Law School 2010

Postby JusticeHarlan » Sun Feb 21, 2010 12:06 am

cherryalamode wrote:
JusticeHarlan wrote:Just checked the mail, wait list from GW was waiting for me. Had been deferred ED, dates/stats in LSN in profile.

Anyone else who got wait listed, was there a form to be filled out and returned? I don't think I saw one in my envelope.


Hey JH, looks like you and I are in the same boat! There was nothing with the letter, but the letter DOES say to MAIL anything additional to them (like a LOCI). So NO emailing them the LOCI.

Do you think everyone knows to do a LOCI? It feels like every 0L goes to TLS but I know that's not true at all... but still feels like it... and we know all the tricks!

Thanks cherry! I guess we'll be riding this one out together.

It's true, I'm very glad I found this website, otherwise I feel I'd be at a serious disadvantage. The stuff I've learned here has been very helpfu, including LOCI protocol.

Ah well, LOCI writing time.




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: JazzyMac, Specter1389 and 5 guests