The George Washington Law School 2010 Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
jbrowning82

Bronze

Re: The George Washington Law School 2010

Post by jbrowning82 » Thu Feb 18, 2010 10:40 am

daagermy1 wrote:
azb wrote:has anyone who got deferred from Early admission to regular one heard yet?
Still waiting to hear too...
dont know if this counts but i was deferred from EA but then admitted as a RD in the same email

Cupidity

Gold

Post by Cupidity » Thu Feb 18, 2010 10:47 am

missvik218 wrote:Anyone else going to the Miami ASR?!
Seriously Considering.

it is a toss-up for me, Miami--Atlanta. I'm near Jax.

sibley

Gold

Post by sibley » Thu Feb 18, 2010 10:49 am

Cupidity wrote:
Seriously Considering.

obviously miami. atlanta = snowy.

missvik218

Silver

Post by missvik218 » Thu Feb 18, 2010 10:51 am

sibley wrote:
Cupidity wrote:
Seriously Considering.

obviously miami. atlanta = snowy.
Definitely!! When is the Atlanta one anyway?

sjj05

New

Post by sjj05 » Thu Feb 18, 2010 10:53 am

eagles111 wrote:
sjj05 wrote:I might. It's in a new hotel downtown that's supposed to be really cute.
I decided to go to the Philly ASR. The place is like 10 mins from my house so i figured what's there to lose? Plus the more the merrier so maybe we can build some momentum. Perhaps I'll see you and umichgrad there. hoping for a delicious spread. maybe we should start a rumor about an open bar?

Also waiting to hear details from anyone who went to one last year or from the early ones next week.
I like where you are going with the open bar rumor. Based on how the GWU reception shapes up, I may become an admitted students reception crasher and avail myself of delicious spreads all over the city. My idea of financial aid. :)

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

chutzpah

Bronze

Post by chutzpah » Thu Feb 18, 2010 12:28 pm

This is unrelated to Law School admissions, but still ridiclous. GW *undergrad* admissions office accidentally tells ~200 ED rejects that they're admitted - --LinkRemoved--

SAE

Silver

Post by SAE » Thu Feb 18, 2010 12:30 pm

chutzpah wrote:This is unrelated to Law School admissions, but still ridiclous. GW *undergrad* admissions office accidentally tells ~200 ED rejects that they're admitted - --LinkRemoved--
Happens all the time. At least this one came after the rejection letters.

benetnash

New

Post by benetnash » Thu Feb 18, 2010 1:33 pm

Anyone else showing up to the Seattle ASR next week?

sibley

Gold

Post by sibley » Thu Feb 18, 2010 1:35 pm

So GW gave me and lots of other people no money... but if we submit our FAFSAs...and we're poor.... maybe we'll get grants.

Anyone know how generous they are with grants? Apparently not with schollies...

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

ndirish2010

Gold

Post by ndirish2010 » Thu Feb 18, 2010 1:38 pm

sibley wrote:So GW gave me and lots of other people no money... but if we submit our FAFSAs...and we're poor.... maybe we'll get grants.

I wouldn't have a chance at need-based aid so my only chance is to negotiate with them, which they say they don't do. Do you think it's worth a try anyway?

jk11287

Bronze

Post by jk11287 » Thu Feb 18, 2010 1:40 pm

ndirish2010 wrote:
sibley wrote:So GW gave me and lots of other people no money... but if we submit our FAFSAs...and we're poor.... maybe we'll get grants.

I wouldn't have a chance at need-based aid so my only chance is to negotiate with them, which they say they don't do. Do you think it's worth a try anyway?
I don't qualify for need based aid either, so I tried leveraging my 32k Cardozo offer (not exactly comparable, I know) and they basically shut me down cold.

umichgrad

Bronze

Post by umichgrad » Thu Feb 18, 2010 1:43 pm

what do you guys think of negotiating with fairly large offers from fordham/WL/WM type schools? think GW will budge at all?

ndirish2010

Gold

Post by ndirish2010 » Thu Feb 18, 2010 1:51 pm

umichgrad wrote:what do you guys think of negotiating with fairly large offers from fordham/WL/WM type schools? think GW will budge at all?
+1. In similar situation, waiting for Fordham scholarship offer if there is one, but large offers from W&L and W&M.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

jk11287

Bronze

Post by jk11287 » Thu Feb 18, 2010 1:53 pm

umichgrad wrote:what do you guys think of negotiating with fairly large offers from fordham/WL/WM type schools? think GW will budge at all?
Um, you'd definitely have a better shot than I did. Because basically what they said to me on the phone yesterday was that every accepted GW applicant could have a full ride somewhere else; but maybe if you try to leverage Fordham, it will be seen as fairly equivalent. I don't know if I'm naive or something, but it doesn't sound like there is all that much money to give out. They said they were sort of overextended scholarship-wise this year, because I think ITE that more people are choosing to take the full ride to GW instead of other schools.

democrattotheend

Bronze

Post by democrattotheend » Thu Feb 18, 2010 1:55 pm

jk11287 wrote:
Um, you'd definitely have a better shot than I did. Because basically what they said to me on the phone yesterday was that every accepted GW applicant could have a full ride somewhere else; but maybe if you try to leverage Fordham, it will be seen as fairly equivalent. I don't know if I'm naive or something, but it doesn't sound like there is all that much money to give out. They said they were sort of overextended scholarship-wise this year, because I think ITE that more people are choosing to take the full ride to GW instead of other schools.
That's not too encouraging. I applied in mid-January and have not heard back yet, but I didn't think it was too late to get a decent scholarship offer. Now I am afraid I may have applied too late.

ndirish2010

Gold

Post by ndirish2010 » Thu Feb 18, 2010 1:56 pm

jk11287 wrote:
It is true that we could all have full rides to other schools, but they wouldn't be T30. I think I'm gonna try to negotiate once I find out if I'm getting anything from Fordham.

jk11287

Bronze

Post by jk11287 » Thu Feb 18, 2010 2:00 pm

ndirish2010 wrote:
jk11287 wrote:
It is true that we could all have full rides to other schools, but they wouldn't be T30. I think I'm gonna try to negotiate once I find out if I'm getting anything from Fordham.
Yeah, I know not from a T30 but I think that's what her point was; that having scholarship offers from other schools doesn't necessarily lead to the conclusion that GW should give you money, too. Though I do think that Fordham might carry some weight.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

jbrowning82

Bronze

Post by jbrowning82 » Thu Feb 18, 2010 2:44 pm

I tried to leverage them with half tuition at Notre Dame and 3/4 tuition at UIUC (both ranked higher than Fordham and GW) and they basically told me they don't negotiate with terrorists.

missvik218

Silver

Post by missvik218 » Thu Feb 18, 2010 3:46 pm

jbrowning82 wrote:I tried to leverage them with half tuition at Notre Dame and 3/4 tuition at UIUC (both ranked higher than Fordham and GW) and they basically told me they don't negotiate with terrorists.
:lol:

ndirish2010

Gold

Post by ndirish2010 » Thu Feb 18, 2010 3:57 pm

jbrowning82 wrote:I tried to leverage them with half tuition at Notre Dame and 3/4 tuition at UIUC (both ranked higher than Fordham and GW) and they basically told me they don't negotiate with terrorists.
Ugh, I guess we are going to have to wait to see if anything opens up then. Thanks for the info. I have the 3/4 at Illinois as well, and thought that might work in addition to W&L and W&M, but I guess not.

Interminable_Waiting

Bronze

Post by Interminable_Waiting » Thu Feb 18, 2010 9:15 pm

They are starting to piss me off. I sent my financaial aid counselor (per their website) some questions about NEED-based aid and the FAFSA, and she sent me back that same generic shit that someone posted earlier in this thread.

I mean, come on... at least write me a real email.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

ccs224

Bronze

Post by ccs224 » Thu Feb 18, 2010 9:34 pm

Interminable_Waiting wrote:They are starting to piss me off. I sent my financaial aid counselor (per their website) some questions about NEED-based aid and the FAFSA, and she sent me back that same generic shit that someone posted earlier in this thread.

The financial aid people seem to be a little less than stellar these days; probably because now is when all the financial aid shit starts to become overwhelming. I emailed my rep a simple question about the FAFSA, and it took a week to hear back. You might have better luck cc'ing the generic email as well; I've always found that folks perform better via email when they know someone else is looking. Then again, you might just annoy them that way.

ashkenazy

New

Post by ashkenazy » Thu Feb 18, 2010 11:10 pm

Interminable_Waiting wrote:They are starting to piss me off. I sent my financaial aid counselor (per their website) some questions about NEED-based aid and the FAFSA, and she sent me back that same generic shit that someone posted earlier in this thread.

+1. I was also very turned off by the canned response I got from my "personal" financial aid counselor.

dontstopbelivin

New

Post by dontstopbelivin » Fri Feb 19, 2010 12:02 am

I'm behind on reading these pages, so apologies if this has already been asked:

when does GWU send out scholarship info? Is it one big lump after they have your financial info? Or is there just no GWU $ love for me?

ccs224

Bronze

Post by ccs224 » Fri Feb 19, 2010 12:14 am

dontstopbelivin wrote:I'm behind on reading these pages, so apologies if this has already been asked:

when does GWU send out scholarship info? Is it one big lump after they have your financial info? Or is there just no GWU $ love for me?
GW sent out a bunch of scholarships along with acceptances. I don't think anyone has seen a second round so far.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”