The George Washington Law School 2010 Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
muggie

New

Re: The George Washington Law School 2010

Post by muggie » Mon Feb 08, 2010 1:15 pm

minuit wrote:So! Between the time that one gets the complete and ready for review email to the time that one receives a letter in the mail, is there any indication of an impending decision, or is it truly a surprise?? I hate being left in the dark!

It's a complete suprise! And I hope it's a GOOD suprise for you. :D

minuit

Silver

Post by minuit » Mon Feb 08, 2010 1:19 pm

muggie wrote:
minuit wrote:So! Between the time that one gets the complete and ready for review email to the time that one receives a letter in the mail, is there any indication of an impending decision, or is it truly a surprise?? I hate being left in the dark!

It's a complete suprise! And I hope it's a GOOD suprise for you. :D
I can't remember the last time I truly had a surprise, not even for my birthday or Christmas (I always know my presents!). This should be interesting! :D

chicoalto0649

Silver

Post by chicoalto0649 » Tue Feb 09, 2010 1:48 pm

I'm gunna go ahead and say that with DC absolutely crippled with snow, GW will not be sending out acceptances for a few days atleast. Anyone wanna call and see if theyre actually open?

nvm- all offices r closed over there

daagermy1

New

Post by daagermy1 » Wed Feb 10, 2010 9:14 pm

Anybody else apply PT-only and getting radio silence?

Applied mid-November. 166/3.67 with legal WE. On Georgetown's "select group" Preferred WL. In at Illinois and Wash & Lee (both w/$$).

Killing me because GW is prop my #1, maybe even if Georgetown pulls through. Hearing GW is drastically trying to cut and stack their PT.

Thoughts?

jelizabeth88

New

Post by jelizabeth88 » Wed Feb 10, 2010 9:19 pm

Your numbers are pretty solid for their part-time program so I'm going to guess that you haven't been hearing anything because they are cutting down so drastically on the number of people they are admitting part-time. Good luck!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

daagermy1

New

Post by daagermy1 » Wed Feb 10, 2010 9:21 pm

jelizabeth88 wrote:Your numbers are pretty solid for their part-time program so I'm going to guess that you haven't been hearing anything because they are cutting down so drastically on the number of people they are admitting part-time. Good luck!
That's what I'm afraid of...thanks.

Dignan

Silver

Post by Dignan » Wed Feb 10, 2010 9:25 pm

daagermy1 wrote:Anybody else apply PT-only and getting radio silence?

Applied mid-November. 166/3.67 with legal WE. On Georgetown's "select group" Preferred WL. In at Illinois and Wash & Lee (both w/$$).

Killing me because GW is prop my #1, maybe even if Georgetown pulls through. Hearing GW is drastically trying to cut and stack their PT.

Thoughts?
I'm FT, applied mid-November, and have also yet to hear anything. I'm wondering if our applications fell behind the copy machine or something. According to LSN, everyone else who applied when I did received a decision by mid-January.

daagermy1

New

Post by daagermy1 » Wed Feb 10, 2010 9:53 pm

Dignan wrote:

Thoughts?
I'm FT, applied mid-November, and have also yet to hear anything. I'm wondering if our applications fell behind the copy machine or something. According to LSN, everyone else who applied when I did received a decision by mid-January.
Guess no decision is better than bad news, but frustrating nonetheless.

Have you lobbed a call in to the admissions office yet? Thinking about it, but not sure it'll do any good.

Dignan

Silver

Post by Dignan » Wed Feb 10, 2010 9:57 pm

daagermy1 wrote:
Dignan wrote:

Thoughts?

Have you lobbed a call in to the admissions office yet? Thinking about it, but not sure it'll do any good.
I'm thinking about it. To be honest, I'm a little baffled. GW was the lowest ranked school I applied to, but I applied with sincere interest. I love the school and its faculty. I figured they'd accept me right away and offer me some scholarship money. I really am starting to wonder if someone has misplaced my application.

In any event, they're all snowed in this week. I'll give them another few days before calling.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Xiaolong

Bronze

Post by Xiaolong » Thu Feb 11, 2010 1:53 am

Dignan wrote:
daagermy1 wrote:
Dignan wrote:

Thoughts?

I'm thinking about it. To be honest, I'm a little baffled. GW was the lowest ranked school I applied to, but I applied with sincere interest. I love the school and its faculty. I figured they'd accept me right away and offer me some scholarship money. I really am starting to wonder if someone has misplaced my application.

In any event, they're all snowed in this week. I'll give them another few days before calling.
May I ask, with the amzing acceptances you already have, why do you even remotely care about GW? With those numbers you should be looking at considerable money from some T14 schools. Is this some personal thing like "I got into 10 out of the 10 schools I applied to?" No offense, just curious... :D

FunkyJD

Silver

Post by FunkyJD » Thu Feb 11, 2010 2:06 am

I like GW, but it doesn't look promising. Sadness.
Last edited by FunkyJD on Thu Feb 11, 2010 1:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dignan

Silver

Post by Dignan » Thu Feb 11, 2010 2:13 am

Xiaolong wrote:May I ask, with the amzing acceptances you already have, why do you even remotely care about GW? With those numbers you should be looking at considerable money from some T14 schools. Is this some personal thing like "I got into 10 out of the 10 schools I applied to?" No offense, just curious... :D
This is a fair question, especially since I've seen others on TLS who seem to enjoy racking up acceptances just for the hell of it. But, in all seriousness, I really would consider attending GW for a few reasons.

First, my SO lives in DC.

Second, I am debt averse, and would consider any school that offers me close to a full ride. As you point out, I might get substantial scholarship money from some T14 schools, but that hasn't happened yet.

Third, I think that GW is an awesome school that is underrated by the USNWR rankings. My primary interests in law are IP and criminal, areas in which GW has some of the best professors in the country.

In the end, I will probably end up attending Columbia, Berkeley, or some other T10 school. But it's not a done deal at this point. I am interested in my status at GW for reasons that extend beyond mere personal curiosity.

Bikeflip

Gold

Post by Bikeflip » Thu Feb 11, 2010 4:37 am

In! 168/3.87 Sent on 1/5. Complete on 1/21. $30K/yr scholarship + 1st yr housing.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

daagermy1

New

Post by daagermy1 » Thu Feb 11, 2010 9:15 am

Xiaolong wrote:May I ask, with the amzing acceptances you already have, why do you even remotely care about GW? With those numbers you should be looking at considerable money from some T14 schools. Is this some personal thing like "I got into 10 out of the 10 schools I applied to?" No offense, just curious... :D
No offense taken. I'd be judging me too if I didn't know me, haha. Basically I want to stay at my job in DC and go to school PT, so applied to all DC PT programs. Top two are Georgetown and GW. I like GW's program and think it is closer to a 20 than 30 ranked school. Plus, it's very convenient for me to get to from work; not a dealmaker, but needs to be considered as travel time will be a premium with full-time job and PT law school.

Hope that clears me of the pretentious "10 for 10" title, haha.

daagermy1

New

Post by daagermy1 » Thu Feb 11, 2010 9:16 am

Bikeflip wrote:In! 168/3.87 Sent on 1/5. Complete on 1/21. $30K/yr scholarship + 1st yr housing.
Congrats! I think they're gonna get a lot of students with the 1st yr. housing deal given their pricey location in DC.

In as FT or PT?

td6624

Silver

Post by td6624 » Thu Feb 11, 2010 9:28 am

The building where we'd all hypothetically get free housing ain't that big though... I feel like it'll start to fill up pretty quick once the last few decision roll in for everyone.

jbrowning82

Bronze

Post by jbrowning82 » Thu Feb 11, 2010 10:00 am

I got an email from a 2L today. Problem is she was a Duke graduate. Here's a note to the admissions office at GW. Don't assign a Duke graduate to a prospective student who is a UNC graduate the morning after Carolina loses to Duke in Chapel Hill. It turned my stomach.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

td6624

Silver

Post by td6624 » Thu Feb 11, 2010 12:01 pm

jbrowning82 wrote:I got an email from a 2L today. Problem is she was a Duke graduate. Here's a note to the admissions office at GW. Don't assign a Duke graduate to a prospective student who is a UNC graduate the morning after Carolina loses to Duke in Chapel Hill. It turned my stomach.
Maybe it's more of a "hey we don't have to be mortal enemies anymore!" sort of thing.

Veritas

Gold

Post by Veritas » Thu Feb 11, 2010 12:02 pm

anyone receive any redistributed aid yet? haha, I think we will be waiting till march...

BenJ

Silver

Post by BenJ » Thu Feb 11, 2010 1:16 pm

In today in a letter dated 2/5, with the Dean's scholarship. I suppose it was delayed by the snowpocalypse. Went complete on 1/20. I withdrew on 2/8 after getting my NYU acceptance, so I hope the spot and money go to someone else quickly.

nyskidude

Bronze

Post by nyskidude » Thu Feb 11, 2010 1:19 pm

BenJ wrote:In today in a letter dated 2/5, with the Dean's scholarship. I suppose it was delayed by the snowpocalypse. Went complete on 1/20. I withdrew on 2/8 after getting my NYU acceptance, so I hope the spot and money go to someone else quickly.
Put in a good word for me, BenJ? I could use it haha

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

jk11287

Bronze

Post by jk11287 » Thu Feb 11, 2010 2:19 pm

Veritas wrote:anyone receive any redistributed aid yet? haha, I think we will be waiting till march...
Nothing. And I keep getting stonewalled when I'm trying to figure out what to do. I've put together a packet of stuff to send to help my chances but nobody will tell me where to send it, probably because they don't care at all. :-(

Veritas

Gold

Post by Veritas » Thu Feb 11, 2010 2:24 pm

jk11287 wrote:
Veritas wrote:anyone receive any redistributed aid yet? haha, I think we will be waiting till march...
Nothing. And I keep getting stonewalled when I'm trying to figure out what to do. I've put together a packet of stuff to send to help my chances but nobody will tell me where to send it, probably because they don't care at all. :-(
ya, they don't care. I tried. I think we just have to sit, wait and hope.

jk11287

Bronze

Post by jk11287 » Thu Feb 11, 2010 2:26 pm

I hate lsdas gpa so much. Honestly. I'm like the only person at GW with my LSAT to not get anything.

ndirish2010

Gold

Post by ndirish2010 » Thu Feb 11, 2010 2:34 pm

BenJ wrote:In today in a letter dated 2/5, with the Dean's scholarship. I suppose it was delayed by the snowpocalypse. Went complete on 1/20. I withdrew on 2/8 after getting my NYU acceptance, so I hope the spot and money go to someone else quickly.
Appreciate the withdrawal, congrats on NYU!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”