The George Washington Law School 2010

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
SAE

Re: The George Washington Law School 2010

Postby SAE » Wed Feb 03, 2010 10:03 am

There's a 167/3.98 person on LSN who just got dinged by GWU.

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/obamallama

Is this a TLS'er? Any comments on this?
Last edited by SAE on Wed Feb 03, 2010 10:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

missvik218

Postby missvik218 » Wed Feb 03, 2010 10:07 am

SAE wrote:There's a 167/3.98 person on LSN who got flat out rejected by GWU.

Anyone comments on this?

I've noticed GW doing weird crap like this, my guess is their number of applicants must be WAY up and they're able to be super selective.

wired

Postby wired » Wed Feb 03, 2010 10:15 am

missvik218 wrote:

Anyone comments on this?

I've noticed GW doing weird crap like this, my guess is their number of applicants must be WAY up and they're able to be super selective.

+1. I think they're trying to be in the teens for rankings within the next 2 years and hoping to push their LSAT median to 168.

beef wellington

Postby beef wellington » Wed Feb 03, 2010 10:18 am

wired wrote:
missvik218 wrote:

Anyone comments on this?

+1. I think they're trying to be in the teens for rankings within the next 2 years and hoping to push their LSAT median to 168.

This makes my WL sting even more.

The letter makes it sound like they expect to admit a lot off the WL, does anyone know if this is the case?

SAE

Postby SAE » Wed Feb 03, 2010 10:19 am

wired wrote:+1. I think they're trying to be in the teens for rankings within the next 2 years and hoping to push their LSAT median to 168.

It's a pretty ambitious goal, considering they are currently at 28.

I still refuse to believe that this person was rejected based on merit alone. There had to have been some sort of gaffe in the application.

doopwooper

Postby doopwooper » Wed Feb 03, 2010 10:20 am

SAE wrote:There's a 167/3.98 person on LSN who just got dinged by GWU.

That's kind of weird that he got into Georgetown but rejected from GW...

beef wellington

Postby beef wellington » Wed Feb 03, 2010 10:22 am

doopwooper wrote:
SAE wrote:There's a 167/3.98 person on LSN who just got dinged by GWU.

That's kind of weird that he got into Georgetown but rejected from GW...

I'm pretty sure I remember someone like this posting they had accidentally addressed their GW PS to Georgetown, I wonder if that's him.

SAE

Postby SAE » Wed Feb 03, 2010 10:24 am

beef wellington wrote:I'm pretty sure I remember someone like this posting they had accidentally addressed their GW PS to Georgetown, I wonder if that's him.

That would certainly explain it. (and make me feel better about my application) :)

missvik218

Postby missvik218 » Wed Feb 03, 2010 10:25 am

SAE wrote:
wired wrote:+1. I think they're trying to be in the teens for rankings within the next 2 years and hoping to push their LSAT median to 168.

I still refuse to believe that this person was rejected based on merit alone. There had to have been some sort of gaffe in the application.

They were in the low 20s last year though, and seemingly only dropped because of the new inclusion of PT programs in LSAT/GPA medians. I don't know of anyone who has or was trying to get into their PT program but I would guess that is MUCH more selective this year (numbers wise).

What I was saying about their FT program however (and this addresses you too beef wellington, although I mean no offense) is that they seem to NOT be making decisions solely on numbers and more looking at full applications. They're WLing and rejecting people who should be admits and accepting people who realistically could/should be looking at WLs (myself included).

nyskidude

Postby nyskidude » Wed Feb 03, 2010 10:29 am

missvik218 wrote:
SAE wrote:

They were in the low 20s last year though, and seemingly only dropped because of the new inclusion of PT programs in LSAT/GPA medians. I don't know of anyone who has or was trying to get into their PT program but I would guess that is MUCH more selective this year (numbers wise).

What I was saying about their FT program however (and this addresses you too beef wellington, although I mean no offense) is that they seem to NOT be making decisions solely on numbers and more looking at full applications. They're WLing and rejecting people who should be admits and accepting people who realistically could/should be looking at WLs (myself included).

I agree with you missvik. I can't see any other reason why I was accepted and others were rejected with my numbers.

beef wellington

Postby beef wellington » Wed Feb 03, 2010 10:30 am

missvik218 wrote:
SAE wrote:

I mean LSP had me as a consider but that LSN graph was so encouraging I had allowed myself to get my hopes up. I didn't talk about GW in my essays though and I'm thinking that might have played a part.

SAE

Postby SAE » Wed Feb 03, 2010 10:30 am

missvik218 wrote:What I was saying about their FT program however (and this addresses you too beef wellington, although I mean no offense) is that they seem to NOT be making decisions solely on numbers and more looking at full applications. They're WLing and rejecting people who should be admits and accepting people who realistically could/should be looking at WLs (myself included).

Let's hope you're right. My #'s are far from spectacular, but there are definitely many other [soft] factors to consider.

ccs224

Postby ccs224 » Wed Feb 03, 2010 12:21 pm

SAE wrote:
missvik218 wrote:What I was saying about their FT program however (and this addresses you too beef wellington, although I mean no offense) is that they seem to NOT be making decisions solely on numbers and more looking at full applications. They're WLing and rejecting people who should be admits and accepting people who realistically could/should be looking at WLs (myself included).

Let's hope you're right. My #'s are far from spectacular, but there are definitely many other [soft] factors to consider.

It would be interesting to see what factors play in admitting or waitlisting applicants with similar numbers. I'm wondering if work experience has anything to do with it. I got a big scholarship with numbers similar to a few who have been waitlisted or accepted with nothing, but I also have 6 years of WE in public interest fields and a (stupid) Masters. Would seem to indicate a more holistic process.

td6624

Postby td6624 » Wed Feb 03, 2010 12:45 pm

ccs224 wrote:
SAE wrote:

It would be interesting to see what factors play in admitting or waitlisting applicants with similar numbers. I'm wondering if work experience has anything to do with it. I got a big scholarship with numbers similar to a few who have been waitlisted or accepted with nothing, but I also have 6 years of WE in public interest fields and a (stupid) Masters. Would seem to indicate a more holistic process.

Yeah, that would be a good explanation. It wouldn't bode very well for me, but what can you do?

stayway

Postby stayway » Wed Feb 03, 2010 1:32 pm

i dunno if this will be encouraging to insightful to any of you guys but..

my numbers are 159/3.33 and I got waitlisted at GW (PT). i honestly thought i had no shot..maybe the whole looking at the application as a "whole" is true because my PS is/was very strong (according to 10+ people i made read)....

I'm visiting the admissions office tomorrow and handing them my LOCI as well....

hell i might even offer to write a check for the deposit on the spot if they accept me........

MissLucky

Postby MissLucky » Wed Feb 03, 2010 1:35 pm

nooyyllib wrote:i dunno if this will be encouraging to insightful to any of you guys but..

my numbers are 159/3.33 and I got waitlisted at GW (PT). i honestly thought i had no shot..maybe the whole looking at the application as a "whole" is true because my PS is/was very strong (according to 10+ people i made read)....

I'm visiting the admissions office tomorrow and handing them my LOCI as well....

hell i might even offer to write a check for the deposit on the spot if they accept me........

when did you go complete and how did you hear? gluck with it all!

stayway

Postby stayway » Wed Feb 03, 2010 1:43 pm

MissLucky wrote:
nooyyllib wrote:i dunno if this will be encouraging to insightful to any of you guys but..

when did you go complete and how did you hear? gluck with it all!

I forgot exactly when i went complete but it was around early early november. I heard back Jan 20th.

madforsadness

Postby madforsadness » Wed Feb 03, 2010 2:35 pm

I'm getting a bit concerned by all this waitlisting and rejecting what should be solid numbers. Does anyone think it would be wise to try and add a "Why GW" to my file at this point? I just went complete yesterday.

nyyankees

Postby nyyankees » Wed Feb 03, 2010 2:40 pm

madforsadness wrote:I'm getting a bit concerned by all this waitlisting and rejecting what should be solid numbers. Does anyone think it would be wise to try and add a "Why GW" to my file at this point? I just went complete yesterday.

id hold off for now. They seem to indicate on their WL letters that they expect to go deep into their waitllists, so a good why GW letter could be of use, if thats where you are. But if you expect to get in, then just have faith in that. I know its easier said than done, but if you let this eat at you, it will get ugly before it gets pretty and thats not what you want...

dusk2k2

Postby dusk2k2 » Wed Feb 03, 2010 2:42 pm

The 167. 3.98 who got dinged is a friend of mine. He didn't do anything wrong in his app and was as surprised about it as well. We thought yield protection.

SAE

Postby SAE » Wed Feb 03, 2010 2:48 pm

dusk2k2 wrote:The 167. 3.98 who got dinged is a friend of mine. He didn't do anything wrong in his app and was as surprised about it as well. We thought yield protection.

YP normally results in a waitlist.. Was his personal statement significantly over the limit?

scarletbegonias

Postby scarletbegonias » Wed Feb 03, 2010 2:48 pm

wow...feeling even better about my 163/3.86 (non URM) acceptance

SAE

Postby SAE » Wed Feb 03, 2010 2:50 pm

scarletbegonias wrote:wow...feeling even better about my 163/3.86 (non URM) acceptance

any outstanding softs?

scarletbegonias

Postby scarletbegonias » Wed Feb 03, 2010 2:59 pm

SAE wrote:
scarletbegonias wrote:wow...feeling even better about my 163/3.86 (non URM) acceptance

any outstanding softs?

Um...in the honors college at my school...pretty focused "why gw: international law" personal statement, even though I've now learned that is apparently not a realistic career path...whatever, guess the admissions officers still think it is pretty legit haha

stayway

Postby stayway » Wed Feb 03, 2010 3:05 pm

because all these outstanding numbers are being WL'd, i'm scared my crappy numbers will get rejected off the WL.

Maybe they'll look separately at PT and FT students...

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”