The George Washington Law School 2010

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
User avatar
chicoalto0649
Posts: 1172
Joined: Sat Dec 06, 2008 11:34 pm

Re: The George Washington Law School 2010

Postby chicoalto0649 » Mon Feb 01, 2010 3:20 pm

imisscollege wrote:
chicoalto0649 wrote:
Veritas wrote:fwiw, the financial aid lady at GW basically told me it's not worth sticker.... :|



I'm at OSU. Alot of kids I know in my Pol Sci classes who are applying/thinking abt applying to law school view GW as something of a Holy Grail/ Mecca of legal education. Not to say that it is bad, but it is most likely not nearly as good as kids make it out to be. My interest has waned so much in GW at this point i could care less about whether or not I get in. BC is a diff story tho....

O ya, GW has a lot of lay prestige so that should be somewhat valuable if youre thinking about throwing down the 60,000+ in tuition / living expenses.


I was under the impression both that GW lacked lay prestige as a result of it's bad undergrad reputation and then the whole gtown bomb right down the street.

And what do you mean about BC being a different story?


Im just much more interested in getting into BC for a number of reasons (some personal/some have to do with being more impressed with bc/the culture there.)

Most people who have college educations usually are wowed when they hear the name George Washington University, maybe its just cause of the whole George Washington thing but w.e...

I was tongue in cheek with "lay prestige" because lay prestige means jack shit when it comes to getting a legal job

stayway
Posts: 1275
Joined: Fri Jul 24, 2009 1:38 am

Re: The George Washington Law School 2010

Postby stayway » Mon Feb 01, 2010 3:20 pm

on the GW website overall estimated cost is around $73k which is a little ridiculous.

HOWEVER, since my parents live in Northern VA, if GW offers me admission off the waitlist, I am considering paying sticker price $44k and commute. this is because i want to get into DC biglaw...

Maybe if I start doing well, they'll offer me money.....i plan on visiting this thursday.

dakatz
Posts: 2460
Joined: Sat Mar 29, 2008 4:19 pm

Re: The George Washington Law School 2010

Postby dakatz » Mon Feb 01, 2010 3:20 pm

imisscollege wrote:
chicoalto0649 wrote:
Veritas wrote:fwiw, the financial aid lady at GW basically told me it's not worth sticker.... :|



I'm at OSU. Alot of kids I know in my Pol Sci classes who are applying/thinking abt applying to law school view GW as something of a Holy Grail/ Mecca of legal education. Not to say that it is bad, but it is most likely not nearly as good as kids make it out to be. My interest has waned so much in GW at this point i could care less about whether or not I get in. BC is a diff story tho....

O ya, GW has a lot of lay prestige so that should be somewhat valuable if youre thinking about throwing down the 60,000+ in tuition / living expenses.


I was under the impression both that GW lacked lay prestige as a result of it's bad undergrad reputation and then the whole gtown bomb right down the street.

And what do you mean about BC being a different story?


Huh? People in both DC and most of the East Coast speak very highly of GW at both the undergrad and law school level.

imisscollege
Posts: 438
Joined: Wed Jul 15, 2009 3:21 pm

Re: The George Washington Law School 2010

Postby imisscollege » Mon Feb 01, 2010 3:22 pm

chicoalto0649 wrote:
imisscollege wrote:
chicoalto0649 wrote:
Veritas wrote:fwiw, the financial aid lady at GW basically told me it's not worth sticker.... :|



I'm at OSU. Alot of kids I know in my Pol Sci classes who are applying/thinking abt applying to law school view GW as something of a Holy Grail/ Mecca of legal education. Not to say that it is bad, but it is most likely not nearly as good as kids make it out to be. My interest has waned so much in GW at this point i could care less about whether or not I get in. BC is a diff story tho....

O ya, GW has a lot of lay prestige so that should be somewhat valuable if youre thinking about throwing down the 60,000+ in tuition / living expenses.


I was under the impression both that GW lacked lay prestige as a result of it's bad undergrad reputation and then the whole gtown bomb right down the street.

And what do you mean about BC being a different story?


Im just much more interested in getting into BC for a number of reasons (some personal/some have to do with being more impressed with bc/the culture there.)

Most people who have college educations usually are wowed when they hear the name George Washington University, maybe its just cause of the whole George Washington thing but w.e...

I was tongue in cheek with "lay prestige" because lay prestige means jack shit when it comes to getting a legal job



Ya I think I'd prefer BC too. I basically told myself that if I left boston it wouldn't be for anything below a UCLA/Gtown/UT type thing because then the prestige might overwhelm the fact that I'd think myself more likely to succeed at ls/network in my hometown, both where i went to college and hs. And then I think I lean towards BC over BU because of the whole not-wanting-to-slit-my-wrists thing

Amelie
Posts: 814
Joined: Sun Jul 26, 2009 12:19 pm

Re: The George Washington Law School 2010

Postby Amelie » Mon Feb 01, 2010 3:23 pm

.
Last edited by Amelie on Sat Mar 06, 2010 12:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

stayway
Posts: 1275
Joined: Fri Jul 24, 2009 1:38 am

Re: The George Washington Law School 2010

Postby stayway » Mon Feb 01, 2010 3:24 pm

GW and GULC has two big markets NYC and DC (IMO). also GW is known to be decently successful in big law.

and as for prestige. IMO i think it matters for biglaw because firms are first going to ask you "where" you went to school..
Last edited by stayway on Mon Feb 01, 2010 3:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dakatz
Posts: 2460
Joined: Sat Mar 29, 2008 4:19 pm

Re: The George Washington Law School 2010

Postby dakatz » Mon Feb 01, 2010 3:24 pm

"Ya I think I'd prefer BC too. I basically told myself that if I left boston it wouldn't be for anything below a UCLA/Gtown/UT type thing because then the prestige might overwhelm the fact that I'd think myself more likely to succeed at ls/network in my hometown, both where i went to college and hs. And then I think I lean towards BC over BU because of the whole not-wanting-to-slit-my-wrists thing"

What whole not-wanting-to-slit-your-wrists thing? Maybe I missed something.
Last edited by dakatz on Mon Feb 01, 2010 3:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
chicoalto0649
Posts: 1172
Joined: Sat Dec 06, 2008 11:34 pm

Re: The George Washington Law School 2010

Postby chicoalto0649 » Mon Feb 01, 2010 3:24 pm

Ya I think I'd prefer BC too. I basically told myself that if I left boston it wouldn't be for anything below a UCLA/Gtown/UT type thing because then the prestige might overwhelm the fact that I'd think myself more likely to succeed at ls/network in my hometown, both where i went to college and hs. And then I think I lean towards BC over BU because of the whole not-wanting-to-slit-my-wrists thing[/quote]

BC > than BU if you're in the 22-24 age range (which I will be ) or if if you dont want to be in a gigantic ugly tower. Also I hear BU students are uber stressed.

Also my lil bro will almost surely be going to BC, so I would love that.

jbrowning82
Posts: 183
Joined: Sat Sep 26, 2009 2:03 pm

Re: The George Washington Law School 2010

Postby jbrowning82 » Mon Feb 01, 2010 3:29 pm

Notre Dame with 20k/year over George Washington at sticker is an easy choice right? I feel like I have this image of GW as the better school, but maybe its just because they didnt offer me any money.

User avatar
missvik218
Posts: 1103
Joined: Mon Feb 09, 2009 11:45 am

Re: The George Washington Law School 2010

Postby missvik218 » Mon Feb 01, 2010 3:31 pm

jbrowning82 wrote:Notre Dame with 20k/year over George Washington at sticker is an easy choice right? I feel like I have this image of GW as the better school, but maybe its just because they didnt offer me any money.

I think it is the better school, I don't know if it's good enough to warrant the extra cost associated.

imisscollege
Posts: 438
Joined: Wed Jul 15, 2009 3:21 pm

Re: The George Washington Law School 2010

Postby imisscollege » Mon Feb 01, 2010 3:35 pm

dakatz wrote:"Ya I think I'd prefer BC too. I basically told myself that if I left boston it wouldn't be for anything below a UCLA/Gtown/UT type thing because then the prestige might overwhelm the fact that I'd think myself more likely to succeed at ls/network in my hometown, both where i went to college and hs. And then I think I lean towards BC over BU because of the whole not-wanting-to-slit-my-wrists thing"

What whole not-wanting-to-slit-your-wrists thing? Maybe I missed something.


BU is notorious for having bitter, super-competitive T14 rejects who didn't have BU as their first choice but ended up at it cause of its in-city location, its ranking, and its up and coming orientation. many of those horror stories that you might hear about ls students giving others bad info and ripping out library book pages to prevent others from studying comes from bu. that plus...that tower for 3 years?

getmetolawschool
Posts: 68
Joined: Thu Oct 22, 2009 1:38 pm

Re: The George Washington Law School 2010

Postby getmetolawschool » Mon Feb 01, 2010 3:53 pm

BU is notorious for having bitter, super-competitive T14 rejects who didn't have BU as their first choice but ended up at it cause of its in-city location, its ranking, and its up and coming orientation. many of those horror stories that you might hear about ls students giving others bad info and ripping out library book pages to prevent others from studying comes from bu. that plus...that tower for 3 years?


I don't want to turn this into a huge BU discussion but is this really common knowledge?! I am choosing between BU, GW, and a few others and would like some more info on this if it's around ... I am definitely not a bitter T-14 reject .. I am thrilled to be in at both of these schools. But I don't want to spend 3 years around a bunch of crazies!!

User avatar
chicoalto0649
Posts: 1172
Joined: Sat Dec 06, 2008 11:34 pm

Re: The George Washington Law School 2010

Postby chicoalto0649 » Mon Feb 01, 2010 4:21 pm

getmetolawschool wrote:
BU is notorious for having bitter, super-competitive T14 rejects who didn't have BU as their first choice but ended up at it cause of its in-city location, its ranking, and its up and coming orientation. many of those horror stories that you might hear about ls students giving others bad info and ripping out library book pages to prevent others from studying comes from bu. that plus...that tower for 3 years?


I don't want to turn this into a huge BU discussion but is this really common knowledge?! I am choosing between BU, GW, and a few others and would like some more info on this if it's around ... I am definitely not a bitter T-14 reject .. I am thrilled to be in at both of these schools. But I don't want to spend 3 years around a bunch of crazies!!



Only way you can do this by visiting both schools, sitting in on classes, and talking to students. Don't rely on TLS for too much when it comes to picking schools, especially at places youre admitted at.

jbrowning82
Posts: 183
Joined: Sat Sep 26, 2009 2:03 pm

Re: The George Washington Law School 2010

Postby jbrowning82 » Mon Feb 01, 2010 4:33 pm

missvik218 wrote:
jbrowning82 wrote:Notre Dame with 20k/year over George Washington at sticker is an easy choice right? I feel like I have this image of GW as the better school, but maybe its just because they didnt offer me any money.

I think it is the better school, I don't know if it's good enough to warrant the extra cost associated.


What makes you say that? Im not being argumentative Im just curious as to your reasoning.

User avatar
chicoalto0649
Posts: 1172
Joined: Sat Dec 06, 2008 11:34 pm

Re: The George Washington Law School 2010

Postby chicoalto0649 » Mon Feb 01, 2010 4:36 pm

jbrowning82 wrote:
missvik218 wrote:
jbrowning82 wrote:Notre Dame with 20k/year over George Washington at sticker is an easy choice right? I feel like I have this image of GW as the better school, but maybe its just because they didnt offer me any money.

I think it is the better school, I don't know if it's good enough to warrant the extra cost associated.


What makes you say that? Im not being argumentative Im just curious as to your reasoning.


Cause like paying full price at GW plus living in DC/ plus books/food / miscellaneous costs is really high. like really effing high, even for law school. A lot of TLSers are debt adverse. If youre parents are paying for everything, then this discussion is moot and you should go with the best school that is a fit for YOU.

So for most people, 50-60,000 > 200,000 DEBT at a similarly ranked school
Last edited by chicoalto0649 on Mon Feb 01, 2010 4:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

southxii
Posts: 78
Joined: Sun Nov 08, 2009 7:11 am

Re: The George Washington Law School 2010

Postby southxii » Mon Feb 01, 2010 4:37 pm

My question is an honest one. I'm not sure why ANYONE would want me at their school. But I must ask:

I have a 166/3.64, strong softs, a computer science major from a good engineering school, and a URM with 5 years of work experience. I was waitlisted at GW. Was I YP'ed? What should I do?

jbrowning82
Posts: 183
Joined: Sat Sep 26, 2009 2:03 pm

Re: The George Washington Law School 2010

Postby jbrowning82 » Mon Feb 01, 2010 4:38 pm

chicoalto0649 wrote:
jbrowning82 wrote:
missvik218 wrote:
jbrowning82 wrote:Notre Dame with 20k/year over George Washington at sticker is an easy choice right? I feel like I have this image of GW as the better school, but maybe its just because they didnt offer me any money.

I think it is the better school, I don't know if it's good enough to warrant the extra cost associated.


What makes you say that? Im not being argumentative Im just curious as to your reasoning.


Cause like paying full price at GW plus living in DC/ plus books/food / miscellaneous costs is really high. like really effing high, even for law school. A lot of TLSers are debt adverse. If youre parents are paying for everything, then this discussion is moot and you should go with the best school that is a fit for YOU.

So for most people, 50-60,000 > 200,000 DEBT at a similarly ranked school


No no, I was wondering why you consider GW to be the better school.

imisscollege
Posts: 438
Joined: Wed Jul 15, 2009 3:21 pm

Re: The George Washington Law School 2010

Postby imisscollege » Mon Feb 01, 2010 4:39 pm

maggiebre wrote:
dakatz wrote:Huh? People in both DC and most of the East Coast speak very highly of GW at both the undergrad and law school level.


Yea, as a GW alum I take a little bit of offense to that. It's not an elite school by any means, but bad reputation?


I mean it's thought of at like a BU level for undergrad. Not a complete shitbag school per se but like if you have a pulse and aren't a complete moron it's thought of as not that hard to get into. Again not something to lash out at me about--I am just reporting that which I have heard from people high up in the professional/academic ladder and experienced personally with students who got into BU/GW undergrad. But cause you're going to LS, your prestige of that is going to matter way more so don't worry about.

mudbug25
Posts: 30
Joined: Thu Jun 11, 2009 9:44 pm

Re: The George Washington Law School 2010

Postby mudbug25 » Mon Feb 01, 2010 4:50 pm

WL in the mail today. Looks like I'd have a decent shot at getting in off the WL though (according to LSN). Not sure what to do.

itsfine
Posts: 229
Joined: Mon Aug 10, 2009 1:07 am

Re: The George Washington Law School 2010

Postby itsfine » Mon Feb 01, 2010 4:51 pm

WL as well. 167 3.5 for anyone who is wondering

southxii
Posts: 78
Joined: Sun Nov 08, 2009 7:11 am

Re: The George Washington Law School 2010

Postby southxii » Mon Feb 01, 2010 4:53 pm

Yeah, I posted up there (WL w/ 166/3.64) and no one cared. Are these WL YPs? What's the best way to proceed with that?

Bueller?

User avatar
chicoalto0649
Posts: 1172
Joined: Sat Dec 06, 2008 11:34 pm

Re: The George Washington Law School 2010

Postby chicoalto0649 » Mon Feb 01, 2010 4:57 pm

southxii wrote:Yeah, I posted up there (WL w/ 166/3.64) and no one cared. Are these WL YPs? What's the best way to proceed with that?

Bueller?



I don't think 166/3.64 is YP....

tesoro
Posts: 472
Joined: Fri Sep 11, 2009 8:10 pm

Re: The George Washington Law School 2010

Postby tesoro » Mon Feb 01, 2010 5:03 pm

Hey guys, I just want to chime in on the COL discussion.

Tuition is $44,000. But there's no way total expenses exceed 70g if you're frugal.

I currently pay ~$7500 in rent / yr. No more than $9,000 combining rent and utilities. How? I have roommates in a townhouse in NoVA (arlington, specifically). Throw in textbooks and food (assuming you shop at the grocery store and don't eat at the bar every day), and you're looking at another $5000.

So total expenses = Tuition + CoL = $44,000 + $14,000 = $58,000. There's tons of college kids and young professionals who throng to the area due to it being waaaay cheaper than DC. And way more fun, incidentally.

I think GWU inflated their estimated cost in order to help their students obtain student loans for other QoL concerns, such as having money for vacation, fun, laptops, iPods, etc such that their lives arent completely soulcrushing.

So, in short, as a resident of NoVA (seriously, it's an 8-10 minute metro ride over to GWU), I'm promising you all that it is not as expensive as it looks. Admittedly, 58,000 x 3 = $174,000, which is still a high pricetag. But you certainly don't have to climb over the $200k mark if sidestepping debt is a concern for you.

southxii
Posts: 78
Joined: Sun Nov 08, 2009 7:11 am

Re: The George Washington Law School 2010

Postby southxii » Mon Feb 01, 2010 5:05 pm

chicoalto0649 wrote:
southxii wrote:Yeah, I posted up there (WL w/ 166/3.64) and no one cared. Are these WL YPs? What's the best way to proceed with that?

Bueller?



I don't think 166/3.64 is YP....


Fair enough. URM with 166/3.64? I'm just annoyed that William & Mary, Texas and USC said yes but GW waitlisted me. I want to go to school in DC. Am I crazy?

BenJ
Posts: 1353
Joined: Mon Dec 28, 2009 12:58 pm

Re: The George Washington Law School 2010

Postby BenJ » Mon Feb 01, 2010 5:06 pm

southxii wrote:
chicoalto0649 wrote:
southxii wrote:Yeah, I posted up there (WL w/ 166/3.64) and no one cared. Are these WL YPs? What's the best way to proceed with that?

Bueller?



I don't think 166/3.64 is YP....


Fair enough. URM with 166/3.64? I'm just annoyed that William & Mary, Texas and USC said yes but GW waitlisted me. I want to go to school in DC. Am I crazy?


URM with those numbers could get Georgetown. GW is just crazy.




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: bellaboo, Chipotle85, genjustice, Google Adsense [Bot], joezze, lawcapture, studyingeveryday, TecumsehSherman, Thelaw23, TudoBem and 23 guests