The George Washington Law School 2010

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
umichgrad
Posts: 381
Joined: Wed Aug 26, 2009 11:53 am

Re: The George Washington Law School 2010

Postby umichgrad » Sat Jan 30, 2010 10:17 pm

nooyyllib wrote:Yeah, unfortunately i got waitlisted at GW too. hopefully this n00b troll withdrew. if i get offered i dont want to be in the same class as him/her..


good luck!! i'm pretty sure he'll get what's coming to him eventually, and it's not gonna be a mailbox full of acceptances.

User avatar
Dignan
Posts: 1110
Joined: Sun Feb 08, 2009 5:52 pm

Re: The George Washington Law School 2010

Postby Dignan » Sat Jan 30, 2010 10:29 pm

umichgrad wrote:T14_Scholly was waitlisted at GW.

Right. Here is his post from earlier this week:

Hey everybody, I'm on the waitlist at GW and wanted to posit some questions for you all. Would it be advisable to send in an LOCI this early? My writing is very strong, and I believe it will make me stand out.

I like how he claimed that his writing is very strong just two sentences after blatantly misusing the word "posit."

User avatar
lifeaway1985
Posts: 132
Joined: Wed Dec 02, 2009 12:25 am

Re: The George Washington Law School 2010

Postby lifeaway1985 » Sun Jan 31, 2010 12:06 am

lifeaway1985 wrote:I did not receive my defferal letter and email Josie for inputs. Then I got a letter from Josie said decision on my application will be mailed to my address in the 2nd week of Feb... Does that mean they will send out large batch of rejections then?


anyone has any idea?

User avatar
cherryalamode
Posts: 301
Joined: Fri Jan 22, 2010 10:26 pm

Re: The George Washington Law School 2010

Postby cherryalamode » Sun Jan 31, 2010 12:24 am

I was deferred from early decision and am STILL waiting on RD. Went complete in beginning of Dec. Under Review at the end.

Am worried that I'm waiting super long, and that this is a bad thing.

Someone mentioned this already but I +1 to whoever said they hope an ED deferral doesnt mean a RD deferral.

Muddy
Posts: 37
Joined: Sat Dec 12, 2009 4:33 pm

Re: The George Washington Law School 2010

Postby Muddy » Sun Jan 31, 2010 12:55 pm

My money situation is really bad. Would you pay full sticker price for GW or go to Wake Forest where it would cost me less than half the price. I'm not sure if I want to practice in NC - not against, but just not sure. Would GW give me more options - or just in the DC area? Thoughts?

User avatar
gwuorbust
Posts: 2087
Joined: Tue Sep 22, 2009 11:37 pm

Re: The George Washington Law School 2010

Postby gwuorbust » Sun Jan 31, 2010 1:15 pm

Dignan wrote:
umichgrad wrote:T14_Scholly was waitlisted at GW.

Right. Here is his post from earlier this week:

Hey everybody, I'm on the waitlist at GW and wanted to posit some questions for you all. Would it be advisable to send in an LOCI this early? My writing is very strong, and I believe it will make me stand out.

I like how he claimed that his writing is very strong just two sentences after blatantly misusing the word "posit."


has this troll been banned yet?

stayway
Posts: 1275
Joined: Fri Jul 24, 2009 1:38 am

Re: The George Washington Law School 2010

Postby stayway » Sun Jan 31, 2010 1:23 pm

Muddy wrote:My money situation is really bad. Would you pay full sticker price for GW or go to Wake Forest where it would cost me less than half the price. I'm not sure if I want to practice in NC - not against, but just not sure. Would GW give me more options - or just in the DC area? Thoughts?


my money problem is pretty bad too. sticker price for GW is 43k for tuition only. Fortunately, my parents live 15 min drive away from the metro station and foggy bottom is 10 min metro ride so commuting (although going to be a hassle) is a possibility. (hopefully GW accepts me off of the waitlist)

as for your question, GW is known for jobs in DC and NYC. If you look at their stats, good % of the students take the bar in NYC and get hired by NYC firms. I think Wake is pretty much limited to NC...but then again, if you can be like top 5% of your class, you might be able to go other places. I'm not sure.

You should withdraw from GW :)

Muddy
Posts: 37
Joined: Sat Dec 12, 2009 4:33 pm

Re: The George Washington Law School 2010

Postby Muddy » Sun Jan 31, 2010 1:30 pm

nooyyllib wrote:
Muddy wrote:My money situation is really bad. Would you pay full sticker price for GW or go to Wake Forest where it would cost me less than half the price. I'm not sure if I want to practice in NC - not against, but just not sure. Would GW give me more options - or just in the DC area? Thoughts?


my money problem is pretty bad too. sticker price for GW is 43k for tuition only. Fortunately, my parents live 15 min drive away from the metro station and foggy bottom is 10 min metro ride so commuting (although going to be a hassle) is a possibility. (hopefully GW accepts me off of the waitlist)

as for your question, GW is known for jobs in DC and NYC. If you look at their stats, good % of the students take the bar in NYC and get hired by NYC firms. I think Wake is pretty much limited to NC...but then again, if you can be like top 5% of your class, you might be able to go other places. I'm not sure.

You should withdraw from GW :)

Thanks for the response. I've got decisions to make. Good luck to you.

User avatar
missvik218
Posts: 1103
Joined: Mon Feb 09, 2009 11:45 am

Re: The George Washington Law School 2010

Postby missvik218 » Mon Feb 01, 2010 12:05 pm

Muddy wrote:
nooyyllib wrote:
Muddy wrote:My money situation is really bad. Would you pay full sticker price for GW or go to Wake Forest where it would cost me less than half the price. I'm not sure if I want to practice in NC - not against, but just not sure. Would GW give me more options - or just in the DC area? Thoughts?


my money problem is pretty bad too. sticker price for GW is 43k for tuition only. Fortunately, my parents live 15 min drive away from the metro station and foggy bottom is 10 min metro ride so commuting (although going to be a hassle) is a possibility. (hopefully GW accepts me off of the waitlist)

as for your question, GW is known for jobs in DC and NYC. If you look at their stats, good % of the students take the bar in NYC and get hired by NYC firms. I think Wake is pretty much limited to NC...but then again, if you can be like top 5% of your class, you might be able to go other places. I'm not sure.

You should withdraw from GW :)

Thanks for the response. I've got decisions to make. Good luck to you.

I'm in a similar spot, acceptance from GW and money from Wake. I'm still waiting to hear from a good number of schools before I'm really tied into needing to make a decision, but it's a tough one no doubt. Would you be happy staying in NC after graduation?

azb
Posts: 144
Joined: Sun Nov 01, 2009 9:20 pm

Re: The George Washington Law School 2010

Postby azb » Mon Feb 01, 2010 12:46 pm

have those of you who got deferred from the ED pool heard from the admission? or it is too soon to expect an answer?

User avatar
mikcou
Posts: 174
Joined: Mon Dec 15, 2008 1:23 am

Re: The George Washington Law School 2010

Postby mikcou » Mon Feb 01, 2010 2:14 pm

SAE wrote:Hmm.. so my decision may not be that quick. I got the complete email on 12/28 when December LSAT scores came out electronically. Otherwise, app should have been complete early December.

Anyone else in same boat?


I am, and I still havent heard anything although campus delivery is notoriously slow.

imisscollege
Posts: 438
Joined: Wed Jul 15, 2009 3:21 pm

Re: The George Washington Law School 2010

Postby imisscollege » Mon Feb 01, 2010 2:51 pm

for those who really like gw--would you take GW over UT?

What about over BC/BU if you don't want to practice in DC?

Why or why not


Note: I am prepared to consider the possible bias at play for those who have yet to hear from GW/are WLed

User avatar
Veritas
Posts: 2722
Joined: Fri Oct 24, 2008 11:50 pm

Re: The George Washington Law School 2010

Postby Veritas » Mon Feb 01, 2010 2:53 pm

imisscollege wrote:for those who really like gw--would you take GW over UT?

What about over BC/BU if you don't want to practice in DC?

Why or why not


Note: I am prepared to consider the possible bias at play for those who have yet to hear from GW/are WLed

If you want TX take UT

If you want Boston/NE take BU/BC

If you want DC take GWU

This all really depends on the market you wish to target. If you don't want DC, I would consider strong schools in the region you do want.

imisscollege
Posts: 438
Joined: Wed Jul 15, 2009 3:21 pm

Re: The George Washington Law School 2010

Postby imisscollege » Mon Feb 01, 2010 2:59 pm

Lived in Boston my whole life and I like it and it would almost make career sense to go there but I kind of want a change. I am still waiting on ucla. I don't know I think I might have issues going to gw and being outplaced in an already saturated market by multiple t14's. Does this bother anybody else?

User avatar
Veritas
Posts: 2722
Joined: Fri Oct 24, 2008 11:50 pm

Re: The George Washington Law School 2010

Postby Veritas » Mon Feb 01, 2010 3:00 pm

imisscollege wrote:Lived in Boston my whole life and I like it and it would almost make career sense to go there but I kind of want a change. I am still waiting on ucla. I don't know I think I might have issues going to gw and being outplaced in an already saturated market by multiple t14's. Does this bother anybody else?

do you have money at GWU?

anywhere you go will be saturated and competitive.

User avatar
chicoalto0649
Posts: 1172
Joined: Sat Dec 06, 2008 11:34 pm

Re: The George Washington Law School 2010

Postby chicoalto0649 » Mon Feb 01, 2010 3:01 pm

imisscollege wrote:Lived in Boston my whole life and I like it and it would almost make career sense to go there but I kind of want a change. I am still waiting on ucla. I don't know I think I might have issues going to gw and being outplaced in an already saturated market by multiple t14's. Does this bother anybody else?



I heard from someone who told me career services are almost exclusively DC big law or bust/lots of students competiting for the same gigs in dc.... It makes sense, they have to show results in that market because of their ranking/ nervous applicants like you who don't like their chances at DC big law....

imisscollege
Posts: 438
Joined: Wed Jul 15, 2009 3:21 pm

Re: The George Washington Law School 2010

Postby imisscollege » Mon Feb 01, 2010 3:03 pm

Veritas wrote:
imisscollege wrote:Lived in Boston my whole life and I like it and it would almost make career sense to go there but I kind of want a change. I am still waiting on ucla. I don't know I think I might have issues going to gw and being outplaced in an already saturated market by multiple t14's. Does this bother anybody else?

do you have money at GWU?

anywhere you go will be saturated and competitive.


No money at GW and I disagree with that statement. I think something like going to Fordham in NYC or GW in DC present the same kinds of issues which don't strike me as being a particularly big problem at a UT or a UCLA, for their respective regions. And then in Boston I heard from some hiring partners that BC pretty much dominates because BU tends to self-selectedly export themselves and Harvard grads often end up doing something different (clerkships/academia) than Boston DA's office or firms.

User avatar
Veritas
Posts: 2722
Joined: Fri Oct 24, 2008 11:50 pm

Re: The George Washington Law School 2010

Postby Veritas » Mon Feb 01, 2010 3:05 pm

fwiw, the financial aid lady at GW basically told me it's not worth sticker.... :|

imisscollege
Posts: 438
Joined: Wed Jul 15, 2009 3:21 pm

Re: The George Washington Law School 2010

Postby imisscollege » Mon Feb 01, 2010 3:08 pm

Veritas wrote:fwiw, the financial aid lady at GW basically told me it's not worth sticker.... :|


Does anybody know what kind of numbers they typically start giving out $ at? I have a feeling my 168/3.6x is right at the border.



Also, does anybody have an idea about how GW places on the hill? Are they completely dominated by Gtown to the point that opportunities only go to the tip top of the class?

User avatar
missvik218
Posts: 1103
Joined: Mon Feb 09, 2009 11:45 am

Re: The George Washington Law School 2010

Postby missvik218 » Mon Feb 01, 2010 3:09 pm

Veritas wrote:fwiw, the financial aid lady at GW basically told me it's not worth sticker.... :|

:lol: at least she was honest, how'd you coax that out of her?!

User avatar
Veritas
Posts: 2722
Joined: Fri Oct 24, 2008 11:50 pm

Re: The George Washington Law School 2010

Postby Veritas » Mon Feb 01, 2010 3:10 pm

imisscollege wrote:
Veritas wrote:fwiw, the financial aid lady at GW basically told me it's not worth sticker.... :|


Does anybody know what kind of numbers they typically start giving out $ at? I have a feeling my 168/3.6x is right at the border.



Also, does anybody have an idea about how GW places on the hill? Are they completely dominated by Gtown to the point that opportunities only go to the tip top of the class?

it looks like 167+ and 3.7+ is a good range for those big scholarships. I think later (like late this month) they start to redistribute the scholarships once people start committing to other schools.

I was also told the school will not negotiate based on alternate offers.

td6624
Posts: 551
Joined: Sun Jan 31, 2010 6:45 pm

Re: The George Washington Law School 2010

Postby td6624 » Mon Feb 01, 2010 3:10 pm

There's someone on LSN (maybe he's here too) who had a 168 and a 3.8 and has $105,000 listed for GW.

User avatar
chicoalto0649
Posts: 1172
Joined: Sat Dec 06, 2008 11:34 pm

Re: The George Washington Law School 2010

Postby chicoalto0649 » Mon Feb 01, 2010 3:11 pm

Veritas wrote:fwiw, the financial aid lady at GW basically told me it's not worth sticker.... :|



I'm at OSU. Alot of kids I know in my Pol Sci classes who are applying/thinking abt applying to law school view GW as something of a Holy Grail/ Mecca of legal education. Not to say that it is bad, but it is most likely not nearly as good as kids make it out to be. My interest has waned so much in GW at this point i could care less about whether or not I get in. BC is a diff story tho....

O ya, GW has a lot of lay prestige so that should be somewhat valuable if youre thinking about throwing down the 60,000+ in tuition / living expenses.

User avatar
Veritas
Posts: 2722
Joined: Fri Oct 24, 2008 11:50 pm

Re: The George Washington Law School 2010

Postby Veritas » Mon Feb 01, 2010 3:11 pm

chicoalto0649 wrote:
Veritas wrote:fwiw, the financial aid lady at GW basically told me it's not worth sticker.... :|



I'm at OSU. Alot of kids I know in my Pol Sci classes who are applying/thinking abt applying to law school view GW as something of a Holy Grail/ Mecca of legal education. Not to say that it is bad, but it is most likely not nearly as good as kids make it out to be. My interest has waned so much in GW at this point i could care less about whether or not I get in. BC is a diff story tho....

O ya, GW has a lot of lay prestige so that should be somewhat valuable if youre thinking about throwing down the 70,000+ in tuition / living expenses.

a little bit more.

imisscollege
Posts: 438
Joined: Wed Jul 15, 2009 3:21 pm

Re: The George Washington Law School 2010

Postby imisscollege » Mon Feb 01, 2010 3:18 pm

chicoalto0649 wrote:
Veritas wrote:fwiw, the financial aid lady at GW basically told me it's not worth sticker.... :|



I'm at OSU. Alot of kids I know in my Pol Sci classes who are applying/thinking abt applying to law school view GW as something of a Holy Grail/ Mecca of legal education. Not to say that it is bad, but it is most likely not nearly as good as kids make it out to be. My interest has waned so much in GW at this point i could care less about whether or not I get in. BC is a diff story tho....

O ya, GW has a lot of lay prestige so that should be somewhat valuable if youre thinking about throwing down the 60,000+ in tuition / living expenses.


I was under the impression both that GW lacked lay prestige as a result of it's bad undergrad reputation and then the whole gtown bomb right down the street.

And what do you mean about BC being a different story?




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Nickel94 and 5 guests