The George Washington Law School 2010 Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
sibley

Gold

Re: The George Washington Law School 2010

Post by sibley » Tue Apr 20, 2010 11:37 am

uganik wrote:Is anyone aware of what type of gym facilities GW Law has?
it's the same as the undergrads have. my tour guide said the gym was amazing and she picked an apartment near it because she loved it so much.

Amelie

Silver

Post by Amelie » Tue Apr 20, 2010 11:45 am

sibley wrote:
it's the same as the undergrads have. my tour guide said the gym was amazing and she picked an apartment near it because she loved it so much.
She lied to you. GW's gym is lacking (not enough / old equipment). But at least it's free to students.

uganik

Bronze

Post by uganik » Tue Apr 20, 2010 11:48 am

sibley wrote:

Awesome, I think I'll do the same (when/if accepted).

Thanks!

Amelie: Lies in the legal profession? Unthinkable!

Amelie

Silver

Post by Amelie » Tue Apr 20, 2010 11:53 am

uganik wrote:
sibley wrote:

Awesome, I think I'll do the same (when/if accepted).

Thanks!

Amelie: Lies in the legal profession? Unthinkable!
Haha, who would have thought? I don't think it's worth to pay for a private gym or anything... but it seems like there's always a wait. One trick is to go to the third or 4th floor where the bball/squash courts are, there are always a few machines up there.

uganik

Bronze

Post by uganik » Tue Apr 20, 2010 12:00 pm

Any Concept II rowing machines?

They at least have a few treadmills, right?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Amelie

Silver

Post by Amelie » Tue Apr 20, 2010 12:02 pm

uganik wrote:Any Concept II rowing machines?

They have 2 rowing machines I think... couldn't tell you about the brand though. And, yes, there are treadmills haha.

sibley

Gold

Post by sibley » Tue Apr 20, 2010 1:11 pm

Amelie wrote:

They have 2 rowing machines I think... couldn't tell you about the brand though. And, yes, there are treadmills haha.
ok so they've got more than one rowing machine, they've apparently got plenty of cario equipment since you laughed at that, and they've got squash courts. what exactly makes it a 'bad' gym? did they forget to include ellipticals or something?

Amelie

Silver

Post by Amelie » Tue Apr 20, 2010 1:24 pm

sibley wrote:
Amelie wrote:

ok so they've got more than one rowing machine, they've apparently got plenty of cario equipment since you laughed at that, and they've got squash courts. what exactly makes it a 'bad' gym? did they forget to include ellipticals or something?
Calm down. I went there for UG, and while it gets the job done, it's not a nice gym compared to many other schools. But in a city you have to make to with the space you have. They have cardio equipment, but not enough and a lot of it is old and breaks down a lot.

uganik

Bronze

Post by uganik » Tue Apr 20, 2010 2:21 pm

Amelie wrote:
sibley wrote:
Amelie wrote:

Calm down. I went there for UG, and while it gets the job done, it's not a nice gym compared to many other schools. But in a city you have to make to with the space you have. They have cardio equipment, but not enough and a lot of it is old and breaks down a lot.

That's OK-

If I get accepted, I'll bring my own "Concept II" rowing machine and stick it in my closet.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

AllBusiness

New

Post by AllBusiness » Tue Apr 20, 2010 3:23 pm

So, to recap, has anyone that has sent in a seat deposit, as well as submitted the FAFSA, received a financial aid packet yet?

Always Credited

Gold

Post by Always Credited » Tue Apr 20, 2010 3:53 pm

Concerning the gym issue...attending any popular gym at peak times will mean waiting for equipment. This situation applies to any gym - it doesn't necessarily make the gym "not good" - what I saw of the GWU gym was a good amount of equipment in fairly good condition, and it was pretty clean.

Then again, I paid far less attention to the cardio equipment and machines than I did to the free weights. Barbell squats > leg press machines, guys...c'mon now :wink:

chutzpah

Bronze

Post by chutzpah » Tue Apr 20, 2010 4:20 pm

If anyone really really wants a bigger gym, the Fitness First on 19th street is dirt cheap

sibley

Gold

Post by sibley » Tue Apr 20, 2010 4:54 pm

uganik wrote: That's OK-

If I get accepted, I'll bring my own "Concept II" rowing machine and stick it in my closet.
just wait to see how theirs are first... they probably have a whole rowing room like at my school =) there are 2 in the main gym then a pile somewhere hidden I've never been.
AllBusiness wrote:So, to recap, has anyone that has sent in a seat deposit, as well as submitted the FAFSA, received a financial aid packet yet?
you need to call the office to see what happened. that's what I had to do with mine both at GW and WashU. Sometimes something's funny and they don't get sent out. But I got mine before I submitted my deposit...

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

ArtVandelay

Bronze

Post by ArtVandelay » Tue Apr 20, 2010 10:58 pm

If you don't mind me asking, did anyone choose GW over Notre Dame? Why?

mi-chan17

Bronze

Post by mi-chan17 » Tue Apr 20, 2010 11:32 pm

ArtVandelay wrote:If you don't mind me asking, did anyone choose GW over Notre Dame? Why?
I chose GW over ND. I want to preface this by saying that I absolutely loved both schools. Although the communities were quite different, I felt really comfortable with both of them and enjoyed my experiences visiting both schools.

So for me, it came down to internship prospects. South Bend is kind of middle-of-nowhere, so there isn't a huge market near by. DC is a huge market, and the work they have for interns doesn't just disappear at the end of summer. Students in DC are in a unique position to take advantage of that; I'm particularly interested in working for a government agency, and DC would be the homebase for that.

So, yeah. That's why I chose GW.

sibley

Gold

Post by sibley » Wed Apr 21, 2010 9:09 am

mi-chan17 wrote:
ArtVandelay wrote:If you don't mind me asking, did anyone choose GW over Notre Dame? Why?
I chose GW over ND. I want to preface this by saying that I absolutely loved both schools. Although the communities were quite different, I felt really comfortable with both of them and enjoyed my experiences visiting both schools.

So for me, it came down to internship prospects. South Bend is kind of middle-of-nowhere, so there isn't a huge market near by. DC is a huge market, and the work they have for interns doesn't just disappear at the end of summer. Students in DC are in a unique position to take advantage of that; I'm particularly interested in working for a government agency, and DC would be the homebase for that.

So, yeah. That's why I chose GW.
glad someone else used this logic =) I didn't apply to ND, but did the same thing with WashU (I'm turning down a small scholly at WashU and going sticker at GW, though GW did give me their maximum grant)- in addition to not wanting to live that far from people/worry about a commute, the internship prospects were just better. and I won't have to move every summer in order to do something, you know?

gwgirl

New

Post by gwgirl » Thu Apr 22, 2010 11:51 am

The gym is really nice. Don't listen to bitter people who were born with silver spoons in their mouth and want every treadmill to have its own television. The equipment is new and nice and there's plenty of it. The only drawback is that (like EVERY OTHER GYM) it is crowded around 5:00-6:30 at night and you will probably have to wait for a cardio machine during that time. I've worked at several gyms in the DC area and GW is definitely on par with nearby private clubs. Stupid rich kids can pay extra (I'm sorry, have their parents pay extra) to join Sports Club LA if they want.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

AllBusiness

New

Post by AllBusiness » Thu Apr 22, 2010 12:25 pm

I received an email from the law school yesterday detailing the financial aid process, or at least the beginning of the financial aid process. Apparently, you have to sign onto the GW Web portal to accept or decline any financial awards you have received. The email also said that more information on applying for loans would be sent after May 1.

uganik

Bronze

Post by uganik » Thu Apr 22, 2010 12:32 pm

gwgirl wrote:
The gym is really nice. Don't listen to bitter people who were born with silver spoons in their mouth and want every treadmill to have its own television. The equipment is new and nice and there's plenty of it. The only drawback is that (like EVERY OTHER GYM) it is crowded around 5:00-6:30 at night and you will probably have to wait for a cardio machine during that time. I've worked at several gyms in the DC area and GW is definitely on par with nearby private clubs. Stupid rich kids can pay extra (I'm sorry, have their parents pay extra) to join Sports Club LA if they want.

Thanks!

I can't wait to get my acceptance letter.......!

gwgirl

New

Post by gwgirl » Thu Apr 22, 2010 12:41 pm

uganik wrote:
gwgirl wrote:

Thanks!

I can't wait to get my acceptance letter.......!
Hope you get it!!! :) Also, I know there are nice rowing machines that the crew team uses that are stored somewhere in the gym. When the weather is nice, you see the team rolling them out from the gym to use outside. Not sure if they're available for "public" use but I'm sure you could figure something out!

gwgirl

New

Post by gwgirl » Thu Apr 22, 2010 1:02 pm

Always Credited wrote:Concerning the gym issue...attending any popular gym at peak times will mean waiting for equipment. This situation applies to any gym - it doesn't necessarily make the gym "not good" - what I saw of the GWU gym was a good amount of equipment in fairly good condition, and it was pretty clean.

Then again, I paid far less attention to the cardio equipment and machines than I did to the free weights. Barbell squats > leg press machines, guys...c'mon now :wink:
haha...love this....we should work out together. Barbell squats >>> leg press!!

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

ccs224

Bronze

Post by ccs224 » Thu Apr 22, 2010 3:35 pm

AllBusiness wrote:I received an email from the law school yesterday detailing the financial aid process, or at least the beginning of the financial aid process. Apparently, you have to sign onto the GW Web portal to accept or decline any financial awards you have received. The email also said that more information on applying for loans would be sent after May 1.

Hmm... Wondering why I didn't get this. Care to post a copy?

AllBusiness

New

Post by AllBusiness » Thu Apr 22, 2010 4:22 pm

We have completed review of your financial aid application and have posted your award package. You may now view your package, print your award letter and accept or decline each the awards listed on our online GWeb System. Please print and read this message carefully before attempting to log onto GWeb.

The GWeb System

You should and accept or decline your financial aid award for the 2010-2011 academic year on our automated online GWeb System.

Logging onto GWeb

To log onto GWeb, please go to: http://banweb.gwu.edu

Your USER ID

You will log onto GWeb using your User ID, which is your GWid or G Number (a specific number we have assigned to you).

Your G Number is: G******** (please note that your GWid is the uppercase letter ?G? followed by the 8 digits.)

Your PIN

When you first log onto GWeb, your temporary PIN is your birthdate in the form of MM/DD/YY. So, for example, if you were born on March 12, 1987, your temporary PIN would be 031287. The first time you log on, you will be asked to choose your own PIN. Your PIN must be six characters long and should be a combination of letters and numbers. Please create an easily remembered PIN. You will be using GWeb for many different functions while a student at GW Law (e.g., to check your student account, to register for classes after the first year, etc.).

Accepting Your Award

Once you have logged onto the GWeb System:

1. Click the link to Financial Aid Menu.

2. Click the link to My Award Information.

3. Click the link to Award By Aid Year.

4. Select Aid Year 2010-2011 Financial Aid Year and click Submit.

5. You will see a screen with a number of tabs 1/3 of the way down the page. Click the Award Overview tab to view your award. The award will list GW Law grants/scholarships (if any) and the maximum amounts of federal student loans for which you may apply.

6. To access the screen for accepting or declining each of the offered awards (grants, if any, and federal student loans) click on the Accept Award Offer tab. If you wish to accept each of the awards in the full amounts listed, you may choose the Accept Full Amount of All Awards tab in the lower left corner of the screen. Or you may accept or decline each of the awards listed individually by choosing Accept or Decline in the drop down menus in the column to the right of each award amount listed.

Please note that, if you are eligible for federal student loans, your financial aid award lists the maximum amounts of Stafford and Graduate PLUS** loans for which you may apply. If you do not wish to borrow the maximum amount of either of these loans, you may decrease the amount awarded in the column to the far right. Please note that you must accept a student loan award before the GWeb system will allow you to enter a lesser amount that you wish to borrow.

If you accept or decline each award individually in the Accept Award Offer screen, you should click the Submit Decision tab in the lower left corner of the screen when you are satisfied with your choices.

**The GradPLUS loan is credit-based.

7. You can then exit GWeb.

8. If you will be borrowing student loan funds, you will apply for your loan(s), complete loan entrance counseling and execute a master promissory note ? all of which you will do online after May 1st. We will send detailed instructions, via e-mail, to guide you through the entire student loan application process later after May 1st. We suggest that you not apply for your student loans until you have paid your first deposit and are committed to attending GW Law.

GW Law Financial Aid Counselor Assignments

If your last name

begins with: A-I J-Q R-Z

Your counselor

is: Nancy LaMotta Darshani Don Beth Amurao

(202) 994-3437 (202) 994-6087 (202) 994-3417

Nancy@law.gwu.edu Darshani@law.gwu.edu Beth@law.gwu.edu

General Information about Your Financial Aid Award and Student Loans

Your receipt of financial aid is contingent upon (1) continuation of the federal and institutional programs indicated; (2) GW Law?s receipt of all anticipated funds to meet commitments of financial aid for the upcoming academic year; (3) your complying with all requirements (loan application, entrance counseling, etc.); and (4) your maintaining your enrollment status. Awards may be modified based upon new information related to your financial circumstances and your financial need, as well as changes in your enrollment status. Need-based grants from GW Law may vary from year to year based upon your financial circumstances and availability of funds.

Applying for Student Loans
We will provide detailed information about the procedure for applying for student loans after May 1st. You do not need to apply for your loans now! Please watch for another email about applying for student loans after May 1st.

Disbursement of Your Financial Aid Funds

Financial aid funds will be disbursed (posted) at the start of each semester to your GWU student account. If you are eligible and applied for funds sufficient to cover living expenses as well as tuition, you will receive an excess funds or refund check for any balance in your GWU student account after payment of tuition charges (and housing costs if you are living in GWU-sponsored housing) within the first 10 days of each semester.

Please be sure that you have sufficient funds on hand at the start of each semester to cover your expenses (e.g., pay August and January rent, purchase books, buy food, etc.) until you receive your excess funds/refund check.

If you have questions please feel free to contact me at (202) 994-7235 or to contact your assigned financial aid counselor.

Thank you. We look forward to seeing you in August.

sibley

Gold

Post by sibley » Thu Apr 22, 2010 4:37 pm

If you guys are planning on buying a new computer for school (mine is nearly dead... hoping it lasts til august) and don't have the cash in pocket (ow, travel expenses, ow, seat deposits, ow moving expenses) you can email them and they'll add a one-time $2k laptop allowance to your grad plus loan. I recommend doing that before you accept your award package.

Scarletlady

New

Post by Scarletlady » Mon Apr 26, 2010 12:46 pm

Has anyone received a decision lately? According to LSN there has only been 8 decisions since the beginning in April, the last acceptance was early March. Obviously this is self-selecting data, but it is the one of the few measures at my disposal. I was wondering if anyone else heard from GW recently.

Also, is it appropriate to call and ask whether they have reviewed my application? I fall squarely into the auto-reject zone, so the fact that it has taken 9 weeks seems preposterous to me.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”