The George Washington Law School 2010 Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
littleorphanannie

New

Re: The George Washington Law School 2010

Post by littleorphanannie » Thu Feb 04, 2010 7:00 pm

Did anyone else get a personalized, handwritten note on their acceptance letter? I was happy to see that but got no scholarship info. Has everyone received scholly info with the acceptance package?

JusticeHarlan

Gold

Post by JusticeHarlan » Thu Feb 04, 2010 7:02 pm

Veritas wrote:I'm calling YP
It's certainly possible, but it appears to be an outlier looking at the LSN graph for GW (with the obvious caveat that LSN is in no way representative). GW's attitude on high scoring people seems to be to throw $105k at them and hope they'll come, rather than waitlisting them.

bwana73

New

Post by bwana73 » Thu Feb 04, 2010 7:09 pm

JusticeHarlan wrote:
It's certainly possible, but it appears to be an outlier looking at the LSN graph for GW (with the obvious caveat that LSN is in no way representative). GW's attitude on high scoring people seems to be to throw $105k at them and hope they'll come, rather than waitlisting them.
If that is the case where is my $105k?

jmhendri

Silver

Post by jmhendri » Thu Feb 04, 2010 7:10 pm

Maybe they've promised all their big schollys away and are reluctant to accept people with high numbers until others start withdrawing and freeing up funds.

ccs224

Bronze

Post by ccs224 » Thu Feb 04, 2010 7:11 pm

littleorphanannie wrote:Did anyone else get a personalized, handwritten note on their acceptance letter? I was happy to see that but got no scholarship info. Has everyone received scholly info with the acceptance package?
Yes to both.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

JusticeHarlan

Gold

Post by JusticeHarlan » Thu Feb 04, 2010 7:18 pm

bwana73 wrote:
JusticeHarlan wrote:
If that is the case where is my $105k?
Dunno, but at the very least, people with numbers around the applicant whom we've been talking about have gotten in, many with money but some (just going by LSN) without. The wait list seems to be an outlier, and that they would YP a 170 but admit a couple of 173s and a 175 with a similar GPA just seems odd to me.

Still, GW does have a number of outliers on various segments of the LSN graph, so who knows, maybe they are a bit more holistic then I'm giving them credit for?

quadsixm

Bronze

Post by quadsixm » Thu Feb 04, 2010 8:21 pm

Perfect splitter on WL. GW's way up there for me, even at sticker. Didn't submit optional "why GW" the first time, should I go LOCI, then optional essay, the other way around, or just LOCI?

Dignan

Silver

Post by Dignan » Thu Feb 04, 2010 11:36 pm

Is there anyone on here who went complete in November and yet does not have a decision yet? After looking on LSN, it looks like I might be the only one left.

JusticeHarlan

Gold

Post by JusticeHarlan » Fri Feb 05, 2010 12:29 am

Dignan wrote:Is there anyone on here who went complete in November and yet does not have a decision yet? After looking on LSN, it looks like I might be the only one left.
I applied ED, was complete in November, deferred to RD in January, still waiting. So slightly different scenario, but still waiting.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

cherryalamode

Bronze

Post by cherryalamode » Fri Feb 05, 2010 12:33 am

JusticeHarlan wrote:
Dignan wrote:Is there anyone on here who went complete in November and yet does not have a decision yet? After looking on LSN, it looks like I might be the only one left.
I applied ED, was complete in November, deferred to RD in January, still waiting. So slightly different scenario, but still waiting.
+1, JH.

qbid250ks

New

Post by qbid250ks » Fri Feb 05, 2010 12:39 am

Waitlisted 163/3.85

What else do you recommend that I do besides submit an LOCI? Would it be appropriate to request an interview?

taw856

Bronze

Post by taw856 » Fri Feb 05, 2010 1:42 am

cherryalamode wrote:
JusticeHarlan wrote:
+1, JH.
You've been nervously waiting longer, but I'm with you as well. 2/3 of the people on LSN with the same complete date have decisions.

lawschoolftw

Bronze

Post by lawschoolftw » Fri Feb 05, 2010 3:03 am

ccs224 wrote:
td6624 wrote:In via snail mail with $105,450.

Sent 1/09
Complete 1/20
Decision 2/04

168/3.81

I'm trying to think of a scenario in which I would not take this offer. It's difficult. I'm still waiting on Berkeley (which I think is highly unlikely), U of Chicago (ditto), UCLA (ditto x2), Fordham, and DePaul. I'm in at Vanderbilt but got no info on scholarships.

If anyone has any thoughts or is in a similar spot, feel free to share!
I'm right there with you. Right now, I'm looking at money from BU, Lewis and Clark, and the same scholarship at GW, plus sticker at USC, Vandy, WUSTL, UW and BC. I want to do environmental law, so the best school with a decent price is getting my vote, and right now that's GWU. I'm still waiting to hear from Berkeley, Michigan, GULC and NYU, which would make me reconsider a lot, but none of those seem too likely.
In the same boat as both of you. WL at Fordham, on reserve at Cornell, still waiting on Penn and Duke, but unless I get in at Cornell, Penn or Duke (all unlikely) I can't see any better option than this. The rest of the schools I applied to were all T2/T3s, and I didn't get any bigger money offers than GW. I find it ironic that GW offered more money than St. Johns, Hofstra, Villanova, Temple, etc but I'll certainly take it!

edit:: also loosely related to this topic, the gpa requirement is a 3.0. Does anyone know what GWU curves to, and do they have any kind of a reputation for section stacking??

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

td6624

Silver

Post by td6624 » Fri Feb 05, 2010 3:07 am

lawschoolftw wrote:
In the same boat as both of you. WL at Fordham, on reserve at Cornell, still waiting on Penn and Duke, but unless I get in at Cornell, Penn or Duke (all unlikely) I can't see any better option than this. The rest of the schools I applied to were all T2/T3s, and I didn't get any bigger money offers than GW. I find it ironic that GW offered more money than St. Johns, Hofstra, Villanova, Temple, etc but I'll certainly take it!

edit:: also loosely related to this topic, the gpa requirement is a 3.0. Does anyone know what GWU curves to, and do they have any kind of a reputation for section stacking??
WL at Fordham, really? That seems odd. I'm still waiting to hear from them.

I'm also interested in hearing about the GPA thing. Everyone in my family has been warning me about that.

renee1693

New

Post by renee1693 » Fri Feb 05, 2010 3:14 am

littleorphanannie wrote:Did anyone else get a personalized, handwritten note on their acceptance letter? I was happy to see that but got no scholarship info. Has everyone received scholly info with the acceptance package?

I did! and I thought maybe that would boost my chances for scholarships, but I didn't receive any info. I also know of people who did receive info with their acceptance letters, and plenty of others who got handwritten notes so I feel less enthusiastic about my chances.

And what does YP mean?

xanderdellus

Bronze

Post by xanderdellus » Fri Feb 05, 2010 9:37 am

cherryalamode wrote:
JusticeHarlan wrote:
+1, JH.
Me too.

BlankC

New

Post by BlankC » Fri Feb 05, 2010 11:03 am

renee1693 wrote:

I did! and I thought maybe that would boost my chances for scholarships, but I didn't receive any info. I also know of people who did receive info with their acceptance letters, and plenty of others who got handwritten notes so I feel less enthusiastic about my chances.

And what does YP mean?
Yield Protection?

http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... =7&t=52630

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

justbluemyself

New

Post by justbluemyself » Fri Feb 05, 2010 12:42 pm

Also got a handwritten note, but no scholarship. Above average softs, I'd say.
Last edited by justbluemyself on Sun Feb 05, 2012 3:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

ccs224

Bronze

Post by ccs224 » Fri Feb 05, 2010 8:27 pm

lawschoolftw wrote: In the same boat as both of you. WL at Fordham, on reserve at Cornell, still waiting on Penn and Duke, but unless I get in at Cornell, Penn or Duke (all unlikely) I can't see any better option than this. The rest of the schools I applied to were all T2/T3s, and I didn't get any bigger money offers than GW. I find it ironic that GW offered more money than St. Johns, Hofstra, Villanova, Temple, etc but I'll certainly take it!

I can't find any hard numbers, but a blog post from 2006 (via google) said that GWLaw was raising its curve from a 3.0 to slightly higher, so I'm guessing that to maintain the scholarship one has to remain in the top half of the class.

missvik218

Silver

Post by missvik218 » Fri Feb 05, 2010 8:32 pm

justbluemyself wrote:Also got a handwritten note, but no scholarship. 171 (169), 3.76. Above average softs, I'd say.

Darn it, GW! I really want to consider you but I can't justify paying sticker.
:lol: That's how I feel too.

td6624

Silver

Post by td6624 » Sat Feb 06, 2010 5:29 am

justbluemyself wrote:Also got a handwritten note, but no scholarship. 171 (169), 3.76. Above average softs, I'd say.

I just realized that your handle is an Arrested Development reference, and your avatar is an Achewood reference. We would be great friends. Go to GW!

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

chip15

New

Post by chip15 » Sun Feb 07, 2010 9:15 pm

Accepted at GW full-time with 163/3.79. I was pretty excited and surprised.

ndirish2010

Gold

Post by ndirish2010 » Mon Feb 08, 2010 2:17 am

missvik218 wrote:

:lol: That's how I feel too.
+1! Surprised you didn't get a scholly with 3.76/171 though. I'm 3.66/168 and nothing either, hoping for some withdrawals as the cycle goes on

JayTal

Bronze

Post by JayTal » Mon Feb 08, 2010 10:15 am

So far all of you admitted without a scholarship, this is the email I just received from the admissions office asking if scholarship information is sent out with the admissions packet:

XXX,

Yes. At this point, we have made a first round of merit awards among those applicants admitted to date. Unfortunately, you were not selected in the first round.

As we admit additional candidates and as those who have been admitted accept or decline our offers of admission, we will continue to reevaluate the availability of merit funds and will make some additional awards.

For planning purposes, you should assume that you will not receive a merit award and should pursue other available sources of financial aid including a GW Law need-based grant and student loans. Unlike many other law schools that award only merit-based scholarships, GW Law has a large need-based grant fund. All students who qualify for financial need will be awarded a GW Law need-based grant in some amount. Also, all law students may borrow up to$20,500 per year in the federal Stafford Loan. Students also may borrow additional funds through the federal GradPLUS Loan program or alternative private loans up to the total cost of attendance.

Thank you. Please let me know if you have further questions.

So for all of you who have been accepted and haven't heard about scholarships, I would imagine the situation is similar.

minuit

Silver

Post by minuit » Mon Feb 08, 2010 1:10 pm

So! Between the time that one gets the complete and ready for review email to the time that one receives a letter in the mail, is there any indication of an impending decision, or is it truly a surprise?? I hate being left in the dark!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”