The George Washington Law School 2010 Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
itsfine

Bronze

Re: The George Washington Law School 2010

Post by itsfine » Fri Jan 22, 2010 5:37 pm

js87 wrote:In. FT/RD 171, 3.75.

No mention of scholarship money. I called them and they confirmed I was not awarded anything.

In no way I do I feel entitled, nor do I want to sound that way, but I'm very upset. I was really hoping, with my numbers, for some merit aid. It's too bad, because I would very likely attend if I was given one of those large scholarships that other people have gotten. I will be withdrawing if I can't get some form of merit aid.

id be upset if I were you aswell, tough man

JayTal

Bronze

Post by JayTal » Fri Jan 22, 2010 5:42 pm

In today! Packet came in the mail.

168/3.6 RD Complete 12/3

Scholarship information to follow I hope!

dakatz

Gold

Post by dakatz » Fri Jan 22, 2010 5:43 pm

No mention of scholarship money. I called them and they confirmed I was not awarded anything.

In no way I do I feel entitled, nor do I want to sound that way, but I'm very upset. I was really hoping, with my numbers, for some merit aid. It's too bad, because I would very likely attend if I was given one of those large scholarships that other people have gotten. I will be withdrawing if I can't get some form of merit aid.
Wow, with those numbers, I cannot see why they would not try and entice you with a good scholarship. I had a friend who got a 172 and about a 3.8, so very similar numbers to yours, and she got into a bunch of top schools such as Duke and Virginia, but GW offered her nearly full tuition so she took that offer. I have no clue why they wouldn't try and entice someone with numbers like yours.

wackjickham

Bronze

Post by wackjickham » Fri Jan 22, 2010 5:52 pm

I got the acceptance packet yesterday (1/21) with a nice note from the dean (whose initials are FML) saying I was an outstanding candidate. Obviously not too outstanding, as scholarship information was absent from the packet.

JayTal

Bronze

Post by JayTal » Fri Jan 22, 2010 5:52 pm

Maybe they just mean you haven't been awarded any money, yet? There was no money in my acceptance package but I'm hoping some will follow. As per the acceptance letter..."Students may be notified any time after their admission of their selection for merit-based scholarships."

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

JayTal

Bronze

Post by JayTal » Fri Jan 22, 2010 5:53 pm

wackjickham wrote:I got the acceptance packet yesterday (1/21) with a nice note from the dean (whose initials are FML) saying I was an outstanding candidate. Obviously not too outstanding, as scholarship information was absent from the packet.
I laughed aloud when I read my letter and saw that :lol:

missvik218

Silver

Post by missvik218 » Fri Jan 22, 2010 5:55 pm

SAE wrote:
missvik218 wrote:In today!! Large envelope to current address - very nice collateral materials! Numbers in profile.
Grats! When did you go complete?
Complete 12/28/09.

Dignan

Silver

Post by Dignan » Fri Jan 22, 2010 6:10 pm

Interesting situation. With your numbers, you likely would have been accepted via binding ED (had you applied ED), which means that you would've had a full ride for all three years.

I think that part of the issue here is that GW wants to give future applicants an incentive to apply ED. If all the strong RD applicants just end up with a full ride (or close to it) anyway, then no one would bother to apply ED. Still, I'm surprised that they didn't throw at least a few thousand your way.

js87

Bronze

Post by js87 » Fri Jan 22, 2010 6:29 pm

Dignan wrote:

Interesting situation. With your numbers, you likely would have been accepted via binding ED (had you applied ED), which means that you would've had a full ride for all three years.

I think that part of the issue here is that GW wants to give future applicants an incentive to apply ED. If all the strong RD applicants just end up with a full ride (or close to it) anyway, then no one would bother to apply ED. Still, I'm surprised that they didn't throw at least a few thousand your way.
Yes, and believe me, I was pretty close to applying ED. In retrospect, I probably should have. But I had this small glimmer of hope that I might have been able to just barely squeek in to Harvard or Columbia. My inner optimist won out and I applied RD, just in case Harvard decided to have some mercy on me. They did not. :?

Jaytal -- Thank you for the encouragement. I called and they informed that I was not awarded anything and should not expect anything. That was my case though; you may very well have something coming and I wish you the best of luck.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

livitup11

New

Post by livitup11 » Fri Jan 22, 2010 6:52 pm

Oh man... what hope is there for the rest of us?! *shakes fist at the heavens*

missvik218

Silver

Post by missvik218 » Fri Jan 22, 2010 6:58 pm

livitup11 wrote:

My thoughts exactly. The adcomm actually told you you "HAD NOT" been selected for "ANY" scholarships? Or like "hadn't yet, and they might be coming" ..?!

JayTal

Bronze

Post by JayTal » Fri Jan 22, 2010 7:11 pm

[quote/] Jaytal -- Thank you for the encouragement. I called and they informed that I was not awarded anything and should not expect anything. That was my case though; you may very well have something coming and I wish you the best of luck.[/quote]

Well...always the optimist...since only 20-30% receive scholarships, the vast majority shouldn't expect any merit-aid. At the individual level, no one should expect to get any money, BUT 20-30% will. Maybe you still will! :D

tallboone

Bronze

Post by tallboone » Fri Jan 22, 2010 7:13 pm

snail mail acceptance with scholarship/1st year housing

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

mi-chan17

Bronze

Post by mi-chan17 » Fri Jan 22, 2010 7:48 pm

tallboone wrote:snail mail acceptance with scholarship/1st year housing
This looks like what I got. What do you think are the odds that we could talk them into housing for the 2nd/3rd years?

monique522

New

Post by monique522 » Fri Jan 22, 2010 7:54 pm

what the fuck? am i the first to hear about this ED full-ride shiz? I visited the goddamned school for chrissakes, and read these boards all the time.

LAME, GW, LAME!!!

BenJ

Silver

Post by BenJ » Fri Jan 22, 2010 7:55 pm

JayTal wrote:
[quote/]
Jaytal -- Thank you for the encouragement. I called and they informed that I was not awarded anything and should not expect anything. That was my case though; you may very well have something coming and I wish you the best of luck.

Well...always the optimist...since only 20-30% receive scholarships, the vast majority shouldn't expect any merit-aid. At the individual level, no one should expect to get any money, BUT 20-30% will. Maybe you still will! :D[/quote]

Hard to believe more than 70% of GW's class actually pays the $75k/year it takes to attend, taking CoL into account. But I suppose it must be the case.

wackjickham

Bronze

Post by wackjickham » Fri Jan 22, 2010 7:56 pm

missvik218 wrote:
livitup11 wrote:

My thoughts exactly. The adcomm actually told you you "HAD NOT" been selected for "ANY" scholarships? Or like "hadn't yet, and they might be coming" ..?!
I haven't called or anything, but I received no $$$ and I have 3.61/174

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

tallboone

Bronze

Post by tallboone » Fri Jan 22, 2010 8:41 pm

mi-chan17 wrote:
This looks like what I got. What do you think are the odds that we could talk them into housing for the 2nd/3rd years?
Pretty sure they will make this offer again next year, so they will need the housing space for the 2014 kiddies

CyLaw

Gold

Post by CyLaw » Fri Jan 22, 2010 8:45 pm

tallboone wrote:
mi-chan17 wrote:
Pretty sure they will make this offer again next year, so they will need the housing space for the 2014 kiddies
That and the Aston is only for 1L's (i believe).

kumba84

Bronze

Post by kumba84 » Fri Jan 22, 2010 8:46 pm

mi-chan17 wrote:
tallboone wrote:snail mail acceptance with scholarship/1st year housing
I was offered housing as well, but I'm married. Does anyone know if GW offers something in exchange for students in this situation?

mi-chan17

Bronze

Post by mi-chan17 » Fri Jan 22, 2010 8:56 pm

CyLaw wrote:
tallboone wrote:
mi-chan17 wrote:
That and the Aston is only for 1L's (i believe).
This makes sense. Darn.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

ashkenazy

New

Post by ashkenazy » Fri Jan 22, 2010 9:00 pm

js87 wrote: I called and they informed that I was not awarded anything and should not expect anything. That was my case though; you may very well have something coming and I wish you the best of luck.
I got the "you shouldn't expect anything" line too. It was a little painful, but then again, they didn't say you can't reasonably hope for anything. With my numbers (167, 3.5) I certainly never expected anything, but that's not to say I wasn't wanting, or hoping. There have been people with similar stats that got big $$$. I'm glad at least they tell the same thing to a TRULY outstanding applicant. I bet you'll hear about $$$ down the line.

BTW, it seeming like many people are getting the handwritten FML note on their acceptance. Mine was generic, so if others are the same, I guess those of us to who got it deserve only a generic personal note. I thought I was special for a second. (but not two)

Jockin Jay-Z

Bronze

Post by Jockin Jay-Z » Fri Jan 22, 2010 9:17 pm

I have a 3.81, 167. According to LSN, people with similar numbers got $105k scholarships/3 years. Yet, this thread says people with superior numbers aren't getting anything. I would love to have a 105k scholarship from GWU in my pocket. Is it worth the $75 application fee? I would almost certainly not go unless they gave me a strong scholarship.

djgoldbe

Bronze

Post by djgoldbe » Fri Jan 22, 2010 9:25 pm

Anyone have any info on the Aston? I know DC is expensive but 7725 per semester (~5 months?) is 1550 a month! Am I wrong to think that is quite high, or is it a nice place? Thanks

dakatz

Gold

Post by dakatz » Fri Jan 22, 2010 9:28 pm

http://living.gwu.edu/halls/graduatehousing/TheAston/

They are essentially just charging for the location (plus the fact that GW charges crazy prices for everything)

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”