In at Notre Dame (2013) Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
UrbanAchievers

Bronze

Re: In at Notre Dame (2013)

Post by UrbanAchievers » Sun Jan 31, 2010 9:30 pm

Veritas wrote:Congrats on the engagement! That's really exciting. ND is a school I really like, but I would need some per$uading to attend.
Thanks. And yeah, I feel the same way, but that's assuming I get $ from other schools I've applied to.

badwithpseudonyms

Silver

Post by badwithpseudonyms » Sun Jan 31, 2010 10:10 pm

UrbanAchievers wrote:Thank you for the kind words and encouragement. She's willing to live in South Bend. I've imparted a healthy love of Notre Dame on her, so I'd try to get her involved in some sort of on-campus activities/employment to make life there more bearable.

Edit: Should we both decide to attend at ND, they can form some sort of club for mutual support, again to make life in SB more bearable. :wink:
It could be the "People who live with an NDLS student but receive none of the benefits the married ones receive" Club. Or the PWLWNDLSSBRNBMOR Club, for short. :lol:

pollaclc

Bronze

Post by pollaclc » Sun Jan 31, 2010 10:16 pm

why are there no direct flights to south bend???

sckon

Silver

Post by sckon » Sun Jan 31, 2010 10:19 pm

pollaclc wrote:why are there no direct flights to south bend???

You obviously overestimate the size of the city. Try Chicago or Grand Rapids.

sckon

Silver

Post by sckon » Sun Jan 31, 2010 10:20 pm

Pearalegal wrote:Christ, I'm going to be the only single person at Notre Dame.

Congrats!

Wait, when did you decide to attend? I need to go on this site more often.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Pearalegal

Silver

Post by Pearalegal » Sun Jan 31, 2010 10:24 pm

sckon wrote:
Pearalegal wrote:Christ, I'm going to be the only single person at Notre Dame.

Congrats!
Wait, when did you decide to attend? I need to go on this site more often.

Do do do.
Last edited by Pearalegal on Wed Feb 03, 2010 4:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

badwithpseudonyms

Silver

Post by badwithpseudonyms » Sun Jan 31, 2010 10:48 pm

Pearalegal wrote:I'm expecting a leprechaun to walk into my office and hug me tomorrow morning.
Hah! What didn't you like about your visit to that other choice? Just wondering.

Pearalegal

Silver

Post by Pearalegal » Sun Jan 31, 2010 10:55 pm

badwithpseudonyms wrote:
Pearalegal wrote:I'm expecting a leprechaun to walk into my office and hug me tomorrow morning.
Hah! What didn't you like about your visit to that other choice? Just wondering.
It was pretty subjective but...honestly, the student body seemed pretty stuffy and a bit pretentious. I would never let a first impression rule anything out...but the quality of life/social life/attitude of the student body is really important to me.

While I really enjoyed learning about one of the academic programs that I was able to sit down and discuss with a faculty member, I just didn't get a good vibe or feel particularly excited about the school.

badwithpseudonyms

Silver

Post by badwithpseudonyms » Sun Jan 31, 2010 11:04 pm

Pearalegal wrote:It was pretty subjective but...honestly, the student body seemed pretty stuffy and a bit pretentious.
When I visited it was pretty early in the semester, so I don't think any of the 1Ls really gave off any sort of vibe to speak of. The ug population on the other hand, I can see how you'd feel that way. I did.

There was no one at ND when I stopped to visit this summer though. So I guess I just need to go back for the Open House!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Pearalegal

Silver

Post by Pearalegal » Sun Jan 31, 2010 11:11 pm

badwithpseudonyms wrote:
Pearalegal wrote:It was pretty subjective but...honestly, the student body seemed pretty stuffy and a bit pretentious.
When I visited it was pretty early in the semester, so I don't think any of the 1Ls really gave off any sort of vibe to speak of. The ug population on the other hand, I can see how you'd feel that way. I did.

There was no one at ND when I stopped to visit this summer though. So I guess I just need to go back for the Open House!

I'll be going to the ASD right after St. Pattys. Too bad the ASD isn't on the 17th...then we could all not remember meeting one another.

My biggest concern about ND is still focused on the social issues stuff...but the University itself seems pretty solid from everything I've read. What freaks me out is reading the comments on some of the articles in the independent St. Marys/ND newspaper the Chronicle. I'm assuming the people posting most of the bigoted comments aren't actually attending or involved in the University...sort of like how the vast majority of the protesters over Obama weren't actually students either. Just older alumni, priests largely unconnected to the school and stupid people.
Last edited by Pearalegal on Wed Feb 03, 2010 4:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

td6624

Silver

Post by td6624 » Sun Jan 31, 2010 11:23 pm

I'm an undergrad right now, and I can tell you guys that while the undergraduate student body is probably more conservative than most other universities, the bigots aren't as prevalent as you might guess (although they do exist).

Recently there was a protest held to try to get sexual orientation added to the non-discrimination clause and to push for an official gay/straight alliance student group. It's doubtful either of those will happen.

It's been great for these past four years, and I met a lot of wonderful people here. But I didn't even consider applying here, and if you lean reasonably to the left, I'd think long and hard about coming here.

mlaird1

New

Post by mlaird1 » Sun Jan 31, 2010 11:25 pm

[/quote] brose002 wrote: Nothing in the mail for me today. How did you do Veritas? Anyone else get anything in the mail/hear anything from ND today?

I got an e-mail on Tuesday requesting my fall transcript, sent an official PDF to their office on Tuesday afternoon, and received a priority mail box with an acceptance and scholarship letter on Friday. It looks like the admissions committee is really moving along with the regular decision group, so I'm sure you'll hear back soon. Good luck!
Last edited by mlaird1 on Sun Jan 31, 2010 11:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Pearalegal

Silver

Post by Pearalegal » Sun Jan 31, 2010 11:25 pm

td6624 wrote:if you lean reasonably to the left, I'd think long and hard about coming here.
Hm.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

cheesus

New

Post by cheesus » Sun Jan 31, 2010 11:27 pm

td6624 wrote:I'm an undergrad right now, and I can tell you guys that while the undergraduate student body is probably more conservative than most other universities, the bigots aren't as prevalent as you might guess (although they do exist).

Recently there was a protest held to try to get sexual orientation added to the non-discrimination clause and to push for an official gay/straight alliance student group. It's doubtful either of those will happen.

It's been great for these past four years, and I met a lot of wonderful people here. But I didn't even consider applying here, and if you lean reasonably to the left, I'd think long and hard about coming here.
I am an ND '07 grad, and I completely agree with everything said except ND is one of my top choices, and I would love to go back for law school.

vanstone22

Bronze

Post by vanstone22 » Sun Jan 31, 2010 11:34 pm

Like I said a couple of days ago, ND is tough to beat unless we're talking t14....even then, cornell and UVA may not beat it.

Thoughts? and reasons why.

td6624

Silver

Post by td6624 » Sun Jan 31, 2010 11:37 pm

vanstone22 wrote:Like I said a couple of days ago, ND is tough to beat unless we're talking t14....even then, cornell and UVA may not beat it.

Thoughts? and reasons why.
The location is considered absolutely horrid by many. Personally, I was fine with this sort of environment for undergrad, but now I've got an itch to live in either a more urban setting or somewhere with tolerable weather.

badwithpseudonyms

Silver

Post by badwithpseudonyms » Sun Jan 31, 2010 11:44 pm

Pearalegal wrote:I'll be going to the ASD right after St. Pattys. Too bad the ASD isn't on the 17th...then we could all not remember meeting one another.
That's the one I'll be at, but St. Patty's would be so much better.
Pearalegal wrote:My biggest concern about ND is still focused on the social issues stuff...
This is somewhat of a concern for me, but everyone swears the student body of the law school isn't a) as overwhelmingly catholic as the rest of the university (this isn't an issue for me) and b) as zealous about it (this is). The rest of it is all peripheral. I don't expect to get in shouting matches with people on the streets or even discuss politics with strangers. You know? ...Now, certain dbags on TLS who are poor representatives of the student body of "the other school you are considering", well they're a different story. :roll:

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

vanstone22

Bronze

Post by vanstone22 » Sun Jan 31, 2010 11:46 pm

td6624 wrote:
The location is considered absolutely horrid by many. Personally, I was fine with this sort of environment for undergrad, but now I've got an itch to live in either a more urban setting or somewhere with tolerable weather.
Coming from LA, I can say that I'd rather go to school in a town where the school is the focal point. Los Angeles is an amazing city with a lot of things to do and see with even better weather but there is a strong disconnect between the people here. Even the ones with some things in common. The camaraderie of a city that rallies behind one driving force is too great to pass up for another 3 years. I'll be in a big city for the rest of my life most likely so I'll enjoy Small town USA while I can.

vanstone22

Bronze

Post by vanstone22 » Sun Jan 31, 2010 11:49 pm

badwithpseudonyms wrote: This is somewhat of a concern for me, but everyone swears the student body of the law school isn't a) as overwhelmingly catholic as the rest of the university (this isn't an issue for me) and b) as zealous about it (this is). The rest of it is all peripheral. I don't expect to get in shouting matches with people on the streets or even discuss politics with strangers. You know? ...Now, certain dbags on TLS who are poor representatives of the student body of "the other school you are considering", well they're a different story. :roll:

What is interesting is that many of us have that same worry, I'm sure a lot who are attending now had the same concerns as 0Ls as well. This should mean that if we attend there will be a proportion of the population who you get along great with....including me!

td6624

Silver

Post by td6624 » Sun Jan 31, 2010 11:51 pm

vanstone22 wrote:
td6624 wrote:
Coming from LA, I can say that I'd rather go to school in a town where the school is the focal point. Los Angeles is an amazing city with a lot of things to do and see with even better weather but there is a strong disconnect between the people here. Even the ones with some things in common. The camaraderie of a city that rallies behind one driving force is too great to pass up for another 3 years. I'll be in a big city for the rest of my life most likely so I'll enjoy Small town USA while I can.
Ah. Well. You should do some investigating into the relationship between the university and the city of South Bend. I can only speak as an undergrad, so my perspective is limited, but locals don't necessarily embrace students. Everyone rallies behind the football team, but beyond that, the communities are pretty distinct and sometimes at odds with each other. I feel safer wandering around most neighborhoods in Chicago at night than I do around my house here as well.

Don't let me sway you one way or the other though. I just thought I'd encourage you to look into it some more. But keep in mind that I'm slightly bitter about certain aspects of this place, and were I to go through the college application process again, I'd probably go somewhere else.

With all that said, I did still love it here, and I'd say the vast, vast majority of people who have any connection with Notre Dame end up loving it. So you probably would too!

fulkersonr1

Bronze

Post by fulkersonr1 » Mon Feb 01, 2010 12:17 am

UrbanAchievers wrote:
Veritas wrote:Congrats on the engagement! That's really exciting. ND is a school I really like, but I would need some per$uading to attend.
Thanks. And yeah, I feel the same way, but that's assuming I get $ from other schools I've applied to.

Def. congrats on the engagement! Cool tar too. Im sure if you go to ND you will be the star of the bowling league.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

fulkersonr1

Bronze

Post by fulkersonr1 » Mon Feb 01, 2010 12:19 am

vanstone22 wrote:
badwithpseudonyms wrote: This is somewhat of a concern for me, but everyone swears the student body of the law school isn't a) as overwhelmingly catholic as the rest of the university (this isn't an issue for me) and b) as zealous about it (this is). The rest of it is all peripheral. I don't expect to get in shouting matches with people on the streets or even discuss politics with strangers. You know? ...Now, certain dbags on TLS who are poor representatives of the student body of "the other school you are considering", well they're a different story. :roll:

What is interesting is that many of us have that same worry, I'm sure a lot who are attending now had the same concerns as 0Ls as well. This should mean that if we attend there will be a proportion of the population who you get along great with....including me!

+1

sckon

Silver

Post by sckon » Mon Feb 01, 2010 6:06 am

Pearalegal wrote:
td6624 wrote:if you lean reasonably to the left, I'd think long and hard about coming here.
Hm.

On my visit a student said the law school is more center-left, while the undergrad is right leaning. There are a couple professors which are hard righties, but than again they have amazing connections by working in the Bush administration. Outside of Con law, I see find it hard to interject politics into law. Living off campus too will make any political environment unnoticeable IMO.

UrbanAchievers

Bronze

Post by UrbanAchievers » Mon Feb 01, 2010 8:24 am

fulkersonr1 wrote:Def. congrats on the engagement! Cool tar too. Im sure if you go to ND you will be the star of the bowling league.
Ha, thank you. My bowling skills are very un-dude, however.

Pearalegal

Silver

Post by Pearalegal » Mon Feb 01, 2010 8:43 am

sckon wrote:
Pearalegal wrote:
Hm.

On my visit a student said the law school is more center-left, while the undergrad is right leaning. There are a couple professors which are hard righties, but than again they have amazing connections by working in the Bush administration. Outside of Con law, I see find it hard to interject politics into law. Living off campus too will make any political environment unnoticeable IMO.
This is what I have heard and assume as well.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”