In at Notre Dame (2013)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
TWoodWil

Re: In at Notre Dame (2013)

Postby TWoodWil » Thu Jan 28, 2010 4:59 pm

UrbanAchievers wrote:
jbrowning82 wrote:i had no idea they had like a 7% acceptance rate

Source? LSN claims that they have a 24% acceptance rate.

http://notredame.lawschoolnumbers.com/

23% (765/3319) according to the real official data.

The 7% figure may be those that decide to attend out of all applicants, but even then last year the figure is just over 5% (179/3319).

UrbanAchievers

Postby UrbanAchievers » Thu Jan 28, 2010 5:01 pm

TWoodWil wrote:
UrbanAchievers wrote:
jbrowning82 wrote:i had no idea they had like a 7% acceptance rate

Source? LSN claims that they have a 24% acceptance rate.

http://notredame.lawschoolnumbers.com/

23% according to the real official data.

Ok. Am I blind? I went through the official data 3 times and didn't see an "accptance rate". Help me out? What am I mising?

Edit: Nevermind. I'm an idiot. Thanks.

jbrowning82

Postby jbrowning82 » Thu Jan 28, 2010 6:12 pm

Is life really as dull in South Bend as everyone who goes to U of I seems to make it seem? I'm really into the small campus and quiet atmosphere, but I don't want it to be completely dead obviously.

Is it a fun place to live?

vanstone22

Postby vanstone22 » Thu Jan 28, 2010 6:16 pm

I didn't expect to hear back so quickly and now ND has really sold me.(applied 12/28)

What schools in the 10+ ranking would you choose over ND?
Here is my list...still flexible though:
1- UCLA
2-Northwestern
3- Duke

ndirish2010

Postby ndirish2010 » Thu Jan 28, 2010 6:18 pm

jbrowning82 wrote:Is life really as dull in South Bend as everyone who goes to U of I seems to make it seem? I'm really into the small campus and quiet atmosphere, but I don't want it to be completely dead obviously.

I've never been to Champaign, but South Bend is perfectly fine. It's not a large city and parts of it are rather depressed, but life at Notre Dame doesn't revolve around the city either. There isn't an extraordinary amount to do here, but it isn't some hick town either, there are 150000 people in this area. Campus life at Notre Dame is better than almost anywhere (admittedly I am a bit biased, but I do love it here), and there's a pretty solid bar scene for those who need that. It just seems like the thing to do when hating on Notre Dame is to bash South Bend...there are plenty of other places much smaller and more 'out of the way' that have law schools...

nyyankees

Postby nyyankees » Thu Jan 28, 2010 6:21 pm

vanstone22 wrote:I didn't expect to hear back so quickly and now ND has really sold me.(applied 12/28)

1- UCLA
2-Northwestern
3- Duke

I know its 9, but michigan is my dream school. Outside of those four, i think id have a hard time passing up ND. I was talking to a friend about this the other day, but i think id take ND over cornell

ndirish2010

Postby ndirish2010 » Thu Jan 28, 2010 6:23 pm

nyyankees wrote:
vanstone22 wrote:I didn't expect to hear back so quickly and now ND has really sold me.(applied 12/28)

1- UCLA
2-Northwestern
3- Duke

I know its 9, but michigan is my dream school. Outside of those four, i think id have a hard time passing up ND. I was talking to a friend about this the other day, but i think id take ND over cornell

Probably Georgetown...that might be it. Cornell would be a tough decision.

keemos

Postby keemos » Thu Jan 28, 2010 6:25 pm

ndirish2010 wrote:
jbrowning82 wrote:Is life really as dull in South Bend as everyone who goes to U of I seems to make it seem? I'm really into the small campus and quiet atmosphere, but I don't want it to be completely dead obviously.

I've never been to Champaign, but South Bend is perfectly fine. It's not a large city and parts of it are rather depressed, but life at Notre Dame doesn't revolve around the city either. There isn't an extraordinary amount to do here, but it isn't some hick town either, there are 150000 people in this area. Campus life at Notre Dame is better than almost anywhere (admittedly I am a bit biased, but I do love it here), and there's a pretty solid bar scene for those who need that. It just seems like the thing to do when hating on Notre Dame is to bash South Bend...there are plenty of other places much smaller and more 'out of the way' that have law schools...

+1

smacroon

Postby smacroon » Thu Jan 28, 2010 6:26 pm

keemos wrote:
ndirish2010 wrote:

+1

I grew up in South Bend so feel free to PM if you have specific questions. I moved out at age 16 and I now live in NYC so clearly I would not say SB is the hub of excitement however there are fun things to do. ND has amazing resources and the sports and arts experiences are awesome. They bring in foreign films, world renowned dance companies etc. Downtown is small with a few fun places and obviously there are plenty of bars and every chain restaurant on the planet in Mishawaka (10 min drive). Also the ND community is pretty wonderful and you will always be surrounded by interesting people (again biased my whole family went and works there). Hope that is helpful.

kkmae

Postby kkmae » Thu Jan 28, 2010 6:26 pm

I'm a grad student right now at U of I. I think living in C-U is pretty fun but that being said, I have visited a friend who goes to law school at ND a few times and have always had a ton of fun there. At ND I've been to mostly parties, I've been tailgating (which was awesome) and to bowling (almost the entire law school takes over a bowling alley on thurs. nights). I think the students there make an effort to have fun despite being in South Bend which is admittedly lackluster. In C-U there is mostly a bar scene, I don't know where the law students frequent but that is typically what the grad students in my program do. I also think C-U has much more stuff in an around campus, but I think the two places are fairly comparable fun-wise IMO.

nyyankees

Postby nyyankees » Thu Jan 28, 2010 7:29 pm

ndirish2010 wrote:
nyyankees wrote:

1- UCLA
2-Northwestern
3- Duke

Probably Georgetown...that might be it. Cornell would be a tough decision.

dinged at gulc yesterday and uva today, else they would have made the list

Torvon

Postby Torvon » Thu Jan 28, 2010 7:31 pm

So I turned in the paperwork to my school's registrar today to have them send out an updated transcript for last semester, do you think I should email ND and notify them that it's coming or just let it go? I guess my only concern is that they make a decision between now and when they actually receive the updated information.

vanstone22

Postby vanstone22 » Thu Jan 28, 2010 7:53 pm

Torvon wrote:So I turned in the paperwork to my school's registrar today to have them send out an updated transcript for last semester, do you think I should email ND and notify them that it's coming or just let it go? I guess my only concern is that they make a decision between now and when they actually receive the updated information.

It sounds like you already know the answer. It can't hurt to tell them and it can hurt not to tell them.

lateforthesky16

Postby lateforthesky16 » Thu Jan 28, 2010 9:53 pm

waitlisted today, went complete 11/13.

168/~3.5. heartfelt why ND essay. obviously very disappointed as ND was my top choice and I'm having an otherwise great cycle.

brose002

Postby brose002 » Fri Jan 29, 2010 1:00 am

So does anyone think tomorrow is going to be the big day for decisions, or do you think it is going to take them a couple more days to sort through the EDs?

Veritas

Postby Veritas » Fri Jan 29, 2010 1:03 am

brose002 wrote:So does anyone think tomorrow is going to be the big day for decisions, or do you think it is going to take them a couple more days to sort through the EDs?

I dunno man, I just hope I evaded this WL/ding snail mail batch.

brose002

Postby brose002 » Fri Jan 29, 2010 1:06 am

Veritas wrote:
brose002 wrote:So does anyone think tomorrow is going to be the big day for decisions, or do you think it is going to take them a couple more days to sort through the EDs?

Same here. I think the mail would reach me tomorrow if I hit that batch. I am seriously freaking out right now about tomorrow's mail. I don't know how I am going to sleep tonight. I have been waiting so long, and with so much hope for Notre Dame. I am rooting for you though. Same with at UC Davis, and all the other schools that you and I both applied to.

jerichogringo

Postby jerichogringo » Fri Jan 29, 2010 1:06 am

How does Notre Dame treat splitters? I'm a 174/2.9 splitter and I am hoping for some Irish love. Am I in or out, what do you all think?

brose002

Postby brose002 » Fri Jan 29, 2010 1:07 am

jerichogringo wrote:How does Notre Dame treat splitters? I'm a 174/2.9 splitter and I am hoping for some Irish love. Am I in or out, what do you all think?

Did you write a Why ND?

jerichogringo

Postby jerichogringo » Fri Jan 29, 2010 1:07 am

Nope

brose002

Postby brose002 » Fri Jan 29, 2010 1:09 am

jerichogringo wrote:Nope

Then you could possibly be waitlisted. They seem to really like people that like them. Don't be too surprised if you get put on the WL.

jerichogringo

Postby jerichogringo » Fri Jan 29, 2010 1:11 am

Could I still submit this or is it too late?

brose002

Postby brose002 » Fri Jan 29, 2010 1:13 am

jerichogringo wrote:

Could I still submit this or is it too late?

I submitted mine by emailing the admissions department after my application went in. If you really want ND then I would highly recommend it.

Veritas

Postby Veritas » Fri Jan 29, 2010 1:19 am

brose002 wrote:
Veritas wrote:

Same here. I think the mail would reach me tomorrow if I hit that batch. I am seriously freaking out right now about tomorrow's mail. I don't know how I am going to sleep tonight. I have been waiting so long, and with so much hope for Notre Dame. I am rooting for you though. Same with at UC Davis, and all the other schools that you and I both applied to.

GL to you man. I stalked some people on LSN who heard this week and someone in CA got the mail, so I'm hoping I'm in the clear.

brose002

Postby brose002 » Fri Jan 29, 2010 1:21 am

Veritas wrote:
brose002 wrote:
Veritas wrote:

GL to you man. I stalked some people on LSN who heard this week and someone in CA got the mail, so I'm hoping I'm in the clear.

That is good news that it reached CA already. I will feel a thousand times better if it doesn't come in the mail tomorrow. I would feel even better with an acceptance email sometime tomorrow. But that is probably a little too optimistic. GL with your mail tomorrow. Im pretty sure that we will both be getting decisions within the next week.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”