In at Notre Dame (2013)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
UFMatt

Re: In at Notre Dame (2013)

Postby UFMatt » Tue Dec 22, 2009 12:29 pm

I have no Catholic affiliation and they let me in with $$. I'm a splitter with an uncommon soft (science PhD), so I think they definitely look beyond the numbers to some extent. That being said, I think it only helped me as far as differentiating from others with similar numbers.

I do think that a strong Catholic affiliation would help with ND. It is something that the university is proud of and wants to preserve.

UF Gators

Postby UF Gators » Tue Dec 22, 2009 12:31 pm

t_flores08 wrote:
Lauren2255 wrote:With the unpredictable pattern of acceptances for both ND and BC, I've come up with a hypothesis and I want to test it out on you guys. Do you think ND favors applicants who graduate from Catholic undergrads and perhaps even Catholic high schools? For those of you who got in, are you from a Catholic undergrad and for those of you who didn't with numbers above their medians did you come from Catholic undergrads?

Also, another question, which I'm surprised no one has brought up, has to do with legacy. I know legacy is really important in gaining admission to ND undergrad, but what have you heard about the law school and legacy? Is it easier to get into without legacy than ND undergrad?

I was recently admitted to ND (one of my top choices if not my TOP choice) this past friday and received my package in the mail yesterday. I sent in the app without expecting this and I got in w/ some scholly money (Which REALLY surprised me). When I applied I thought I had no chance (sub-par numbers for TLS standards), but applied so I wouldn't wonder 10 years from now "what-if". Imagine how I reacted when I opened my acceptance email thinking it was the "happy holiday email"!!!

Anyways, I am from a lower tier public school and have attended public school all my life. I did mention, however, in my why ND statement how my Catholic upbringing has impacted me and how I want to practice in Chicago/ Midwest. Also, I am the first in my family to attend to attend any form of graduate school, and noone in my family has attended Notre Dame, so legacy status does not apply to me AT ALL.

I have a post in the "what are my chances" section where many people say I had 0 chance at ND, and LSP has me projected at <5% chance, so really, I am still in shock. After this acceptance, I STRONGLY believe them when they whole-person review philosophy and believe that anyone who is close to the numbers with a diverse background/ can bring something to the table should apply. Statistically, ND was/ is beyond my grasp.

Anyways, I am excited and would love to hear what people think about the campus, the school itself, South Bend, and anything else related to the school. I am going to be visiting in January just to check things out. Anyone want to join? lol

That's wonderful! Congrats on getting into a great school! I am hoping they send some love my way too.

fedtaxed

Postby fedtaxed » Tue Dec 22, 2009 12:43 pm

Lauren2255 wrote:In w/ good money!!! 167./3.91 - Why ND relating to my Catholic undergrad...

With the unpredictable pattern of acceptances for both ND and BC, I've come up with a hypothesis and I want to test it out on you guys. Do you think ND favors applicants who graduate from Catholic undergrads and perhaps even Catholic high schools? For those of you who got in, are you from a Catholic undergrad and for those of you who didn't with numbers above their medians did you come from Catholic undergrads?

Also, another question, which I'm surprised no one has brought up, has to do with legacy. I know legacy is really important in gaining admission to ND undergrad, but what have you heard about the law school and legacy? Is it easier to get into without legacy than ND undergrad?

I think that Notre Dame (the entire University, not just the law school) is unique in a lot of ways, including its Catholic identity. It may not favor people from Catholic schools or legacies per se, but applicants in these categories may be more likely to succeed in & contribute to the ND community. For full disclosure, I have family connections to the University & went to UG there - though I'm still waiting for a decision & am incredibly nervous.

Anyway, congrats to everyone with acceptances!!!

fulkersonr1

Postby fulkersonr1 » Tue Dec 22, 2009 1:57 pm

t_flores08 wrote:
Lauren2255 wrote:With the unpredictable pattern of acceptances for both ND and BC, I've come up with a hypothesis and I want to test it out on you guys. Do you think ND favors applicants who graduate from Catholic undergrads and perhaps even Catholic high schools? For those of you who got in, are you from a Catholic undergrad and for those of you who didn't with numbers above their medians did you come from Catholic undergrads?

I was recently admitted to ND (one of my top choices if not my TOP choice) this past friday and received my package in the mail yesterday. I sent in the app without expecting this and I got in w/ some scholly money (Which REALLY surprised me). When I applied I thought I had no chance (sub-par numbers for TLS standards), but applied so I wouldn't wonder 10 years from now "what-if". Imagine how I reacted when I opened my acceptance email thinking it was the "happy holiday email"!!!

Anyways, I am from a lower tier public school and have attended public school all my life. I did mention, however, in my why ND statement how my Catholic upbringing has impacted me and how I want to practice in Chicago/ Midwest. Also, I am the first in my family to attend to attend any form of graduate school, and noone in my family has attended Notre Dame, so legacy status does not apply to me AT ALL.

I have a post in the "what are my chances" section where many people say I had 0 chance at ND, and LSP has me projected at <5% chance, so really, I am still in shock. After this acceptance, I STRONGLY believe them when they whole-person review philosophy and believe that anyone who is close to the numbers with a diverse background/ can bring something to the table should apply. Statistically, ND was/ is beyond my grasp.

Anyways, I am excited and would love to hear what people think about the campus, the school itself, South Bend, and
anything else related to the school. I am going to be visiting in January just to check things out. Anyone want to join? lol

Ill be there in January on around the 12th or 15th can't remember off the top of my head. When in Jan are you going?

t_flores08

Postby t_flores08 » Tue Dec 22, 2009 2:20 pm

fulkersonr1 wrote:
Ill be there in January on around the 12th or 15th can't remember off the top of my head. When in Jan are you going?

No plans as of yet. I am going to Chicago now over the break and am tempted to take a trip to south bend, but doubt anything will be going on w the school since it is the break and all.

fulkersonr1

Postby fulkersonr1 » Tue Dec 22, 2009 2:43 pm

t_flores08 wrote:
fulkersonr1 wrote:

No plans as of yet. I am going to Chicago now over the break and am tempted to take a trip to south bend, but doubt anything will be going on w the school since it is the break and all.

Yeah well if you are in chi its just a quick trip so would be cool just to go and check out the campus. Im going on 15th, the next official visitation day so I can go to a class and meet some students and profs., but its a further drive for me so want to maximize my visit. If you or anyone else is interested here is a link of visitation days.

http://www.nd.edu/~ndlaw/admissions/visiting_calendar_spring.html

Postby 02082010 » Tue Dec 22, 2009 5:11 pm

So it seems that a few people with 11/10 complete dates heard on Friday. I'm a URM splitter with the same complete date and a I wrote Why ND. I was WL'ed last cycle w/ lower numbers and a January complete date. I figured I'd get in this year but haven't heard anything.

Cause for worry?

Veritas

Postby Veritas » Tue Dec 22, 2009 5:13 pm

hopefulundergrad wrote:So it seems that a few people with 11/10 complete dates heard on Friday. I'm a URM splitter with the same complete date and a I wrote Why ND. I was WL'ed last cycle w/ lower numbers and a January complete date. I figured I'd get in this year but haven't heard anything.

Cause for worry?

I went complete 10/29 :| I'm worried

Torvon

Postby Torvon » Tue Dec 22, 2009 6:26 pm

Well I'm late to the party, but I just submitted my application to ND. Submitted all the rest of my applications a couple months ago but for some reason I was having a hard time writing the "Why ND?". Anyway, figured I better beat all the December LSAT takers or they might steal my spot and money!

UF Gators

Postby UF Gators » Tue Dec 22, 2009 7:24 pm

fulkersonr1 wrote:
t_flores08 wrote:
fulkersonr1 wrote:

Yeah well if you are in chi its just a quick trip so would be cool just to go and check out the campus. Im going on 15th, the next official visitation day so I can go to a class and meet some students and profs., but its a further drive for me so want to maximize my visit. If you or anyone else is interested here is a link of visitation days.

http://www.nd.edu/~ndlaw/admissions/visiting_calendar_spring.html

Thanks for the link. I may try to drive over there if I end up going on my NU interview in Feb.

flcath

Postby flcath » Wed Dec 23, 2009 3:23 am

hopefulundergrad wrote:So it seems that a few people with 11/10 complete dates heard on Friday. I'm a URM splitter with the same complete date and a I wrote Why ND. I was WL'ed last cycle w/ lower numbers and a January complete date. I figured I'd get in this year but haven't heard anything.

Cause for worry?

Not if you actually want to go there.

I don't say this to be an a-hole, but it's true. You're a prime candidate for YP WL, but if at any point you say something like "I'll attend if I get $x," then you'll almost definitely get it. Of course, you probably know this, but I don't really see why you'd care about getting WL'd at a school if you don't want to go to that school.

tram988

Postby tram988 » Wed Dec 23, 2009 4:45 pm

waitlisted today via snail mail

numbers on LSN through profile

H. E. Pennypacker

Postby H. E. Pennypacker » Wed Dec 23, 2009 4:48 pm

tram988 wrote:waitlisted today via snail mail

numbers on LSN through profile

When did you go complete?

tram988

Postby tram988 » Wed Dec 23, 2009 9:17 pm

Complete 10/23

robin600

Postby robin600 » Thu Dec 24, 2009 8:04 pm

t_flores08 wrote:

Anyways, I am excited and would love to hear what people think about the campus, the school itself, South Bend, and anything else related to the school. I am going to be visiting in January just to check things out. Anyone want to join? lol

I can't disagree with you more. With my numbers I had a 25-40% shot of getting in (163/3.65) and I have a very unique background as well. I had eight surgeries from my freshman year to my junior year and then I 4.0ed every class since then. I am partially blind. ND didn't take this into account as they waitlisted me one month after sending in my application. I also wrote a why ND essay. You may be an exception to the rule my friend, but ND is still a numbers based school.

finalaspects

Postby finalaspects » Thu Dec 24, 2009 8:08 pm

robin600 wrote:I can't disagree with you more. With my numbers I had a 25-40% shot of getting in (163/3.65) and I have a very unique background as well. I had eight surgeries from my freshman year to my junior year and then I 4.0ed every class since then. I am partially blind. ND didn't take this into account as they waitlisted me one month after sending in my application. I also wrote a why ND essay. You may be an exception to the rule my friend, but ND is still a numbers based school.

How do you know you're not the exception to the rule?

robin600

Postby robin600 » Thu Dec 24, 2009 8:22 pm

finalaspects wrote:
robin600 wrote:I can't disagree with you more. With my numbers I had a 25-40% shot of getting in (163/3.65) and I have a very unique background as well. I had eight surgeries from my freshman year to my junior year and then I 4.0ed every class since then. I am partially blind. ND didn't take this into account as they waitlisted me one month after sending in my application. I also wrote a why ND essay. You may be an exception to the rule my friend, but ND is still a numbers based school.

How do you know you're not the exception to the rule?

Look at all the people with great numbers/stories who have been WLed or rejected on here!!! It's a big amount! Also http://notredame.lawschoolnumbers.com/stats

sckon

Postby sckon » Sun Dec 27, 2009 12:20 pm

robin600 wrote:
I can't disagree with you more. With my numbers I had a 25-40% shot of getting in (163/3.65) and I have a very unique background as well. I had eight surgeries from my freshman year to my junior year and then I 4.0ed every class since then. I am partially blind. ND didn't take this into account as they waitlisted me one month after sending in my application. I also wrote a why ND essay. You may be an exception to the rule my friend, but ND is still a numbers based school.

This read all wrong for me. How do you not know they took into account your situation? Your LSAT score is below their range. You could have been straight rejected but with your situation maybe they gave you a WL. I find it kind of disingenuous of you to say they didn't take it into account when they very well could have. Don't think you have entitlement for an acceptance under any circumstance regardless of personal situation.

robin600

Postby robin600 » Sun Dec 27, 2009 12:51 pm

sckon wrote:
robin600 wrote:

This read all wrong for me. How do you not know they took into account your situation? Your LSAT score is below their range. You could have been straight rejected but with your situation maybe they gave you a WL. I find it kind of disingenuous of you to say they didn't take it into account when they very well could have. Don't think you have entitlement for an acceptance under any circumstance regardless of personal situation.

I don't mean to come off as entitled or demanding. My point was just to say that ND is a numbers school like any other school is and the posters getting in doesn't mean that they look at the whole application, they just look at numbers. I don't think they took it into account because of the quick turn around time with my application, I could be wrong though, but my ultimate point is just that ND isn't going to look over a lower score/grades because you have a situation that is unique, it still matters. Sorry if I offended anyone, didn't mean it to come off like that, I'm not good at putting thoughts into type.

sckon

Postby sckon » Sun Dec 27, 2009 12:56 pm

robin600 wrote:
sckon wrote:
robin600 wrote:

I don't mean to come off as entitled or demanding. My point was just to say that ND is a numbers school like any other school is and the posters getting in doesn't mean that they look at the whole application, they just look at numbers. I don't think they took it into account because of the quick turn around time with my application, I could be wrong though, but my ultimate point is just that ND isn't going to look over a lower score/grades because you have a situation that is unique, it still matters. Sorry if I offended anyone, didn't mean it to come off like that, I'm not good at putting thoughts into type.

Ok, I see where you are coming from now. I would say this. From what I remember you applied as soon as the app came out. Therefore, you would have been at the top of the pile and could have been reviewed in a quick manner. I had about a month turn around too and would not have been able to get in with just my numbers FWIW. I would say Notre Dame is not a complete number based school just for the fact on LSN there is not graphical rhyme or reason for acceptances. They want people who want to go to ND and will use a numbers criteria coupled with the rest of the application to make the decision.

lfgsuperman

Postby lfgsuperman » Tue Dec 29, 2009 1:10 pm

Does anyone know how ND is letting people know they were WL? Also, I'm assuming that if we received a small envelope from ND that it's a rejection?

finalaspects

Postby finalaspects » Tue Dec 29, 2009 1:44 pm

lfgsuperman wrote:Does anyone know how ND is letting people know they were WL? Also, I'm assuming that if we received a small envelope from ND that it's a rejection?

i received a small envelope with 2 sheets for waitlist. So envelope won't necessarily mean rejection, it'll either be a waitlist or a rejection. not sure about acceptances.

lfgsuperman

Postby lfgsuperman » Tue Dec 29, 2009 1:47 pm

finalaspects wrote:
lfgsuperman wrote:Does anyone know how ND is letting people know they were WL? Also, I'm assuming that if we received a small envelope from ND that it's a rejection?

i received a small envelope with 2 sheets for waitlist. So envelope won't necessarily mean rejection, it'll either be a waitlist or a rejection. not sure about acceptances.

Thanks

lfgsuperman

Postby lfgsuperman » Tue Dec 29, 2009 1:52 pm

Does anyone know the chances of getting in off of WL or is it a toss up?

Veritas

Postby Veritas » Tue Dec 29, 2009 2:05 pm

I'm wondering if I should call, just to check on my status. I've been complete since 10/29 with no word. I know it's not been THAT long, but lots of people have received decisions who went complete with me and after me. Any thoughts?

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”