In at Notre Dame (2013)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Torvon
Posts: 352
Joined: Tue Sep 01, 2009 6:09 pm

Re: In at Notre Dame (2013)

Postby Torvon » Thu Dec 03, 2009 10:43 pm

goosey wrote:
Torvon wrote:So I'm brainstorming my Why ND essay and trying to figure out if I should bring religion into it at all. My religion will most certainly set me apart from 99% of the students at ND, but I'm not sure if that's a good thing or a bad thing. Obviously I didn't put religion in my PS for all my other schools, but ND specifically asks what religion I belong to so they are already aware. So what's the consensus? Address religion or no?



what religion? I'm muslim and addressed it in my Why ND and PS.


LDS

User avatar
goosey
Posts: 1543
Joined: Tue Aug 19, 2008 11:48 pm

Re: In at Notre Dame (2013)

Postby goosey » Thu Dec 03, 2009 10:45 pm

Torvon wrote:
goosey wrote:
Torvon wrote:So I'm brainstorming my Why ND essay and trying to figure out if I should bring religion into it at all. My religion will most certainly set me apart from 99% of the students at ND, but I'm not sure if that's a good thing or a bad thing. Obviously I didn't put religion in my PS for all my other schools, but ND specifically asks what religion I belong to so they are already aware. So what's the consensus? Address religion or no?



what religion? I'm muslim and addressed it in my Why ND and PS.


LDS


LDS? :oops: sorry, not familiar with what that is

Torvon
Posts: 352
Joined: Tue Sep 01, 2009 6:09 pm

Re: In at Notre Dame (2013)

Postby Torvon » Thu Dec 03, 2009 10:47 pm

goosey wrote:
Torvon wrote:
goosey wrote:
Torvon wrote:So I'm brainstorming my Why ND essay and trying to figure out if I should bring religion into it at all. My religion will most certainly set me apart from 99% of the students at ND, but I'm not sure if that's a good thing or a bad thing. Obviously I didn't put religion in my PS for all my other schools, but ND specifically asks what religion I belong to so they are already aware. So what's the consensus? Address religion or no?



what religion? I'm muslim and addressed it in my Why ND and PS.


LDS


LDS? :oops: sorry, not familiar with what that is


Lol, sorry should have just said Mormon :D

User avatar
goosey
Posts: 1543
Joined: Tue Aug 19, 2008 11:48 pm

Re: In at Notre Dame (2013)

Postby goosey » Thu Dec 03, 2009 11:03 pm

Torvon wrote:
Lol, sorry should have just said Mormon :D



Oh ok haha. Yeah I would definitely include it somewhere. I don't think ND is an intolerant school (otherwise I wouldn't have applied there) and diverse backgrounds are what every school looks for. In my opinion, religious diversity would play a bigger role for a school like ND. So if your religion is a major part of your life, I think it would help to discuss it and address how or why this makes ND an attractive school for you

User avatar
robin600
Posts: 1583
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 2008 3:07 pm

Re: In at Notre Dame (2013)

Postby robin600 » Thu Dec 03, 2009 11:32 pm

flcath wrote:
Zojirushi wrote:
finalaspects wrote:fordham thread actually has songs and poems...

You all should put rosaries up on this thread. I mean, with copy/paste it wouldn't take that long.


Image

Hail Mary, full of grace, may notre dame be with me.....blessed are our applications.....

User avatar
goosey
Posts: 1543
Joined: Tue Aug 19, 2008 11:48 pm

Re: In at Notre Dame (2013)

Postby goosey » Thu Dec 03, 2009 11:41 pm

--ImageRemoved--

flcath
Posts: 1502
Joined: Fri Nov 06, 2009 11:39 pm

Re: In at Notre Dame (2013)

Postby flcath » Fri Dec 04, 2009 8:43 am

Torvon wrote:
goosey wrote:
Torvon wrote:So I'm brainstorming my Why ND essay and trying to figure out if I should bring religion into it at all. My religion will most certainly set me apart from 99% of the students at ND, but I'm not sure if that's a good thing or a bad thing. Obviously I didn't put religion in my PS for all my other schools, but ND specifically asks what religion I belong to so they are already aware. So what's the consensus? Address religion or no?



what religion? I'm muslim and addressed it in my Why ND and PS.


LDS

Do it, and play it up totally.

I wanted to see what your answer was to this first, though; if you'd said something like Scientology then that'd be another story (but if you'd said Scientology, you probably wouldn't have the LSAT to be looking at ND).

User avatar
badwithpseudonyms
Posts: 815
Joined: Wed Apr 15, 2009 12:48 pm

Re: In at Notre Dame (2013)

Postby badwithpseudonyms » Fri Dec 04, 2009 9:23 am

Torvon wrote:So I'm brainstorming my Why ND essay and trying to figure out if I should bring religion into it at all. My religion will most certainly set me apart from 99% of the students at ND, but I'm not sure if that's a good thing or a bad thing. Obviously I didn't put religion in my PS for all my other schools, but ND specifically asks what religion I belong to so they are already aware. So what's the consensus? Address religion or no?


I know you were using hyperbole, but I think only half of the law school students identify as Catholic. It might be two-thirds though, so don't hold me to that. ...That said, something like 85% of the undergrad population is Catholic, so you definitely have to be cool with them as a majority. Anyway, faith is important to ND, so I think taking a minute to address the question can be beneficial (if you have something to say).

User avatar
doinmybest
Posts: 460
Joined: Tue Jun 03, 2008 10:59 pm

Re: In at Notre Dame (2013)

Postby doinmybest » Fri Dec 04, 2009 1:24 pm

badwithpseudonyms wrote:
Torvon wrote:So I'm brainstorming my Why ND essay and trying to figure out if I should bring religion into it at all. My religion will most certainly set me apart from 99% of the students at ND, but I'm not sure if that's a good thing or a bad thing. Obviously I didn't put religion in my PS for all my other schools, but ND specifically asks what religion I belong to so they are already aware. So what's the consensus? Address religion or no?


I know you were using hyperbole, but I think only half of the law school students identify as Catholic. It might be two-thirds though, so don't hold me to that. ...That said, something like 85% of the undergrad population is Catholic, so you definitely have to be cool with them as a majority. Anyway, faith is important to ND, so I think taking a minute to address the question can be beneficial (if you have something to say).


The last 3 girls that I dated have been Catholic. I'm in good shape for ND.

flcath
Posts: 1502
Joined: Fri Nov 06, 2009 11:39 pm

Re: In at Notre Dame (2013)

Postby flcath » Fri Dec 04, 2009 1:44 pm

doinmybest wrote:
badwithpseudonyms wrote:
Torvon wrote:So I'm brainstorming my Why ND essay and trying to figure out if I should bring religion into it at all. My religion will most certainly set me apart from 99% of the students at ND, but I'm not sure if that's a good thing or a bad thing. Obviously I didn't put religion in my PS for all my other schools, but ND specifically asks what religion I belong to so they are already aware. So what's the consensus? Address religion or no?


I know you were using hyperbole, but I think only half of the law school students identify as Catholic. It might be two-thirds though, so don't hold me to that. ...That said, something like 85% of the undergrad population is Catholic, so you definitely have to be cool with them as a majority. Anyway, faith is important to ND, so I think taking a minute to address the question can be beneficial (if you have something to say).


The last 3 girls that I dated have been Catholic. I'm in good shape for ND.

Yeah, but the blue balls are terrible.

User avatar
Veritas
Posts: 2722
Joined: Fri Oct 24, 2008 11:50 pm

Re: In at Notre Dame (2013)

Postby Veritas » Fri Dec 04, 2009 1:46 pm

did someone get in yet?

no?

I didn't think so!

sckon
Posts: 501
Joined: Thu Oct 15, 2009 12:03 am

Re: In at Notre Dame (2013)

Postby sckon » Fri Dec 04, 2009 1:47 pm

Veritas wrote:did someone get in yet?

no?

I didn't think so!



You just posted and therefore negated your own rules! For Shame!

User avatar
Veritas
Posts: 2722
Joined: Fri Oct 24, 2008 11:50 pm

Re: In at Notre Dame (2013)

Postby Veritas » Fri Dec 04, 2009 1:48 pm

sckon wrote:
Veritas wrote:did someone get in yet?

no?

I didn't think so!



You just posted and therefore negated your own rules! For Shame!

NOW!

User avatar
goosey
Posts: 1543
Joined: Tue Aug 19, 2008 11:48 pm

Re: In at Notre Dame (2013)

Postby goosey » Fri Dec 04, 2009 2:01 pm

do they ever give decisions over the phone?

I was told I was "Early Actioned"--I interpret this as she already knew the decision. If I got in, would I have heard "congratulations!" over the phone?

sckon
Posts: 501
Joined: Thu Oct 15, 2009 12:03 am

Re: In at Notre Dame (2013)

Postby sckon » Fri Dec 04, 2009 2:03 pm

--ImageRemoved--

sckon
Posts: 501
Joined: Thu Oct 15, 2009 12:03 am

Re: In at Notre Dame (2013)

Postby sckon » Fri Dec 04, 2009 2:04 pm

goosey wrote:do they ever give decisions over the phone?

I was told I was "Early Actioned"--I interpret this as she already knew the decision. If I got in, would I have heard "congratulations!" over the phone?



No. What she meant was that you were put in the early action pile. All decisions are via mail.

User avatar
goosey
Posts: 1543
Joined: Tue Aug 19, 2008 11:48 pm

Re: In at Notre Dame (2013)

Postby goosey » Fri Dec 04, 2009 2:13 pm

sckon wrote:
goosey wrote:do they ever give decisions over the phone?

I was told I was "Early Actioned"--I interpret this as she already knew the decision. If I got in, would I have heard "congratulations!" over the phone?



No. What she meant was that you were put in the early action pile. All decisions are via mail.



::relief::

please love me, notre dame. i love you. love me back.

User avatar
BuffaloSabres137
Posts: 19
Joined: Tue Nov 24, 2009 2:22 am

Re: In at Notre Dame (2013)

Postby BuffaloSabres137 » Fri Dec 04, 2009 4:27 pm

Spirituality is a very big part of campus life here at Notre Dame. You will find yourself surrounded by an active spiritual community both as an undergrad or graduate student. That being said, no particular faith is ever pushed upon anyone and I have never seen evidence of the Catholic tradition here creating tensions. I do believe that the Catholic faith plays an integral role in the identity of ND though, and I suggest making an attempt to understand it before applying. After all, the slogan of NDLS is "educating a different kind (type?) of lawyer" and candidates should probably have an idea of what that means before claiming that they want to be educated the ND way.


As for rankings... I also believe that ND can only rise in the future due to the hiring of a new dean and the completion of construction on the new law school. The "addition" to the law school can not even be described as an "addition" since it more than doubled the size of the building and added jaw-dropping facilities. I recently toured Stanford and the law school building there can not even compare to the new Eck Hall of Law. Very impressive... thank you Mr. Eck!

(as an added bonus, the class of 2013 will be the first to enjoy the new facilities for all three years of law school)
Last edited by BuffaloSabres137 on Fri Dec 04, 2009 4:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
uganik
Posts: 258
Joined: Thu Oct 23, 2008 11:40 am

Re: In at Notre Dame (2013)

Postby uganik » Fri Dec 04, 2009 4:31 pm

...



Great!

Awesome!

Fantastic!



So let us in already Notre Dame, or at the least let us know. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

User avatar
BuffaloSabres137
Posts: 19
Joined: Tue Nov 24, 2009 2:22 am

Re: In at Notre Dame (2013)

Postby BuffaloSabres137 » Fri Dec 04, 2009 4:36 pm

uganik wrote:...



Great!

Awesome!

Fantastic!



So let us in already Notre Dame, or at the least let us know. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:



my post was in response to the above questions about religion and efforts to increase the rankings at ND... be easy...

User avatar
uganik
Posts: 258
Joined: Thu Oct 23, 2008 11:40 am

Re: In at Notre Dame (2013)

Postby uganik » Fri Dec 04, 2009 4:54 pm

Yes, I believe these actions will improve their rankings position in the future and, as a prospective student, I am happy to learn of this.

Your information on the spiritual atmosphere at ND Law was, I'm sure, quite helpful to most.

I was well aware of this religious element prior to submitting my application.


My post was simply an expression of my fervent desire, which was magnified by your information, to learn of the final outcome of my EA application.
Last edited by uganik on Fri Dec 04, 2009 5:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
BuffaloSabres137
Posts: 19
Joined: Tue Nov 24, 2009 2:22 am

Re: In at Notre Dame (2013)

Postby BuffaloSabres137 » Fri Dec 04, 2009 5:00 pm

uganik wrote:Yes, I believe these actions will improve their rankings position in the future and, as a prospective student, I am happy to learn of this.

Your information on the spiritual atmosphere at ND Law was, I'm sure, quite helpful to most.

I was well aware of this religious element prior to submitting my application.


My post was simply an expression of my fervent desire, which was magnified by your information, to learn of the final outcome of my EA my application.


haha understood... may the luck of the Fightin' Irish provide you with good fortune in the near future...

User avatar
uganik
Posts: 258
Joined: Thu Oct 23, 2008 11:40 am

Re: In at Notre Dame (2013)

Postby uganik » Fri Dec 04, 2009 5:02 pm

Thanks!

Congrats on your acceptance!!!

finalaspects
Posts: 1866
Joined: Tue Dec 30, 2008 12:21 am

Re: In at Notre Dame (2013)

Postby finalaspects » Fri Dec 04, 2009 11:49 pm

anyone know when notre dame will start with their RD decisions? last year they started around this time...

Mosca
Posts: 251
Joined: Wed Jun 18, 2008 7:10 am

Re: In at Notre Dame (2013)

Postby Mosca » Fri Dec 04, 2009 11:53 pm

finalaspects wrote:anyone know when notre dame will start with their RD decisions? last year they started around this time...

They first wave of RD decisions is probably in the hands of the USPS now. We might start seeing them in our mailboxes tomorrow or Monday.




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests