In at Notre Dame (2013) Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
FunkyJD

Silver

Re: In at Notre Dame (2013)

Post by FunkyJD » Tue Mar 30, 2010 2:40 pm

FunkyJD wrote:I need to start a poll for ND vs. Illinois ($20k) now. Will post shortly.
Here's the poll ... help me decide, add your take.

http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 1&t=112750

daagermy1

New

Post by daagermy1 » Tue Mar 30, 2010 2:55 pm

Withdrew from the waitlist today. Good luck all!

blackeyeddog

New

Post by blackeyeddog » Tue Mar 30, 2010 4:50 pm

Accepted yesterday with $$ - Withdrew today.

Good Luck to those still waiting!

ArtVandelay

Bronze

Post by ArtVandelay » Tue Mar 30, 2010 4:53 pm

It's looks like I'm heading to Notre Dame.

Where are people living? The on-campus housing looks nice and convenient, but I'd prefer my own place. Are there any decent off-campus places nearby?

foosh

New

Post by foosh » Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:36 pm

Do rejections come via snail mail as well?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Bailarina08

New

Post by Bailarina08 » Tue Mar 30, 2010 9:53 pm

blackeyeddog wrote:Accepted yesterday with $$ - Withdrew today.

Good Luck to those still waiting!
What are your numbers? I'm still waiting to hear, but I'd love to have your spot and $$!

t_flores08

New

Post by t_flores08 » Tue Mar 30, 2010 11:26 pm

ArtVandelay wrote:It's looks like I'm heading to Notre Dame.

Where are people living? The on-campus housing looks nice and convenient, but I'd prefer my own place. Are there any decent off-campus places nearby?
I HIGHLY recommend that you fly out and check out the housing. Some good places are mainstreet village, the foundry (pricy, BUT, right in front of the school and some nice ammentities), Indian Lakes, The Pointe, Clover Ridge and a lot of other ones. Check out apartmentguide.com and just type in South Bend to get an idea. What you see there is pretty much what there is. I saw some areas that seemed a little shady and would recommend you check it out because you want to be comfortable. Let me know if you have any further questions.

pollaclc

Bronze

Post by pollaclc » Wed Mar 31, 2010 2:25 pm

if you're coming from a big city or anywhere remotely near a big city, the foundry isn't even overpriced, especially when you add in the free gym and tanning (if you're a girl..or guido)

nyyankees

Bronze

Post by nyyankees » Wed Mar 31, 2010 8:06 pm

so i was looking at LSN, and it seems like no one gets more than 22k/year (there are 3 exceptions right now). Whats the deal with this?? Do they just accept that their students are gonna get jobs via their alumni who are gonna give them jobs based on their law school alone, so they dont need to get kids with high lsat/gpas? It seems like most schools at least give out a handful of 3/4-full tuition scholarships.

It makes me feel a bit better about my 18k/yr but also that negotiations probably wont go anywhere.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

mi-chan17

Bronze

Post by mi-chan17 » Wed Mar 31, 2010 9:01 pm

nyyankees wrote: It makes me feel a bit better about my 18k/yr but also that negotiations probably wont go anywhere.
My experience with Notre Dame and negotiations was really positive, so I think it's worth a shot if you want to try and up your aid.

OneSixtySix

Bronze

Post by OneSixtySix » Thu Apr 01, 2010 12:11 am

Anybody going to the ASD next week? I'm currently looking at airfare and am not excited for the dent in the wallet this trip will cause.

UrbanAchievers

Bronze

Post by UrbanAchievers » Thu Apr 01, 2010 9:04 am

OneSixtySix wrote:Anybody going to the ASD next week? I'm currently looking at airfare and am not excited for the dent in the wallet this trip will cause.
I'll be there.
Last edited by UrbanAchievers on Sat Aug 21, 2010 11:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

Lisa7n99

New

Post by Lisa7n99 » Thu Apr 01, 2010 10:13 am

i'll be there! and if money is an issue, apply for a travel reimbursement. they approved mine today.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

urban

New

Post by urban » Thu Apr 01, 2010 3:01 pm

Flying in to Chicago and making a dear sweet friend drive me to South Bend next weekend.

thebookcollector

Bronze

Post by thebookcollector » Thu Apr 01, 2010 8:14 pm

In today with money via email... haven't received the admissions package yet.

I applied in mid-January. PM me for stats.

Question for the group... My email said: "You have also been awarded an annual, renewable scholarship in the amount of $XX,XXX." I'm hoping that means $XX,XXX per year, not in total, right?

Their admissions process seems to be either much more deliberate or much more random based on the LSN screens... a lot of people with my numbers got WL.

Bailarina08

New

Post by Bailarina08 » Thu Apr 01, 2010 8:46 pm

theantiscalia wrote:In today with money via email... haven't received the admissions package yet.

I applied in mid-January. PM me for stats.

Question for the group... My email said: "You have also been awarded an annual, renewable scholarship in the amount of $XX,XXX." I'm hoping that means $XX,XXX per year, not in total, right?

Their admissions process seems to be either much more deliberate or much more random based on the LSN screens... a lot of people with my numbers got WL.
Can I ask what those numbers were?

Pearalegal

Silver

Post by Pearalegal » Thu Apr 01, 2010 8:54 pm

So I'd like some honest feedback here. I really like Notre Dame, and what I'm about to say isn't a criticism towards the students or the school, but I need some opinions.

ASD:

I loved the building itself, absolutely gorgeous. Loved the feel of the campus, fully enjoyed meeting the current faculty and staff.

However. I, who attended the event alone, had exactly 3 conversations with prospective students who were not either standing next to their significant other, or a parent. This really shocked me. The other ASD I attended were nothing like this. During the Q&A session, I watched a ton of parents ask questions (one Mom got into a quasi-fight with the admissions counselor) and a few significant others jump in as well.

While I tried to stay open-minded, and everyone did seem very sweet...I was really, really surprised based on my previous experiences and a little unsettled by the lack of...independence? I dunno, that seems judgmental. It really just rattled me a bit. I felt like I wouldn't fit in.

Does anyone have any thoughts or opinions/reassurance about this?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Lisa7n99

New

Post by Lisa7n99 » Thu Apr 01, 2010 9:16 pm

Parents asking questions seems out of line. Of course I'm 28, I've been financially independent since the age of 18 from my own parents, and they were not at all involved in my academic/professional life so.....that might be why that seems to strange to me. However, I think people may just be excited about law school, and want to share the experience with their family/SOs. As long as their presence doesn't stop you from interacting with your classmates, I don't see a problem with it at all.

Pearalegal

Silver

Post by Pearalegal » Thu Apr 01, 2010 9:20 pm

Lisa7n99 wrote:Parents asking questions seems out of line. Of course I'm 28, I've been financially independent since the age of 18 from my own parents, and they were not at all involved in my academic/professional life so.....that might be why that seems to strange to me. However, I think people may just be excited about lawl skool, and want to share the experience with their family/SOs. As long as their presence doesn't stop you from interacting with your classmates, I don't see a problem with it at all.
I guess my problem was that it did...everyone was so absorbed in the people they brought with them that I didn't get to talk to anyone, it felt like. I had some nice conversations with current students, but not the prospectives.

In addition to some other moments, I had two girlfriends who came up and held their boyfriends arm, mid-conversation and after that point I only talked to THEM (and they were nice, don't get me wrong), instead of my potential future classmate. I don't know, it freaked me out quite a bit.

I've only been out of school for 2 years, but I didn't even THINK of bringing my parents. I was really, really excited to call them and my close friends and tell them all about it...but I wanted to experience it all for myself, and it sort of depressed me that there wasn't anyone else who felt the same way. And I wanted to slap some of the parents.

FunkyJD

Silver

Post by FunkyJD » Thu Apr 01, 2010 9:24 pm

Pearalegal wrote:So I'd like some honest feedback here. I really like Notre Dame, and what I'm about to say isn't a criticism towards the students or the school, but I need some opinions.

ASD:

I loved the building itself, absolutely gorgeous. Loved the feel of the campus, fully enjoyed meeting the current faculty and staff.

However. I, who attended the event alone, had exactly 3 conversations with prospective students who were not either standing next to their significant other, or a parent. This really shocked me. The other ASD I attended were nothing like this. During the Q&A session, I watched a ton of parents ask questions (one Mom got into a quasi-fight with the admissions counselor) and a few significant others jump in as well.

While I tried to stay open-minded, and everyone did seem very sweet...I was really, really surprised based on my previous experiences and a little unsettled by the lack of...independence? I dunno, that seems judgmental. It really just rattled me a bit. I felt like I wouldn't fit in.

Does anyone have any thoughts or opinions/reassurance about this?
Or ... because you are more mature, maybe you will go to ND, handle the academics better and demonstrate a higher degree of professionalism than your classmates, get a higher class rank and get a sweet job. It shouldn't turn you off in the least, IMO. (I wish there was a smiley for licking one's chops.)

thebookcollector

Bronze

Post by thebookcollector » Thu Apr 01, 2010 9:24 pm

Pearalegal wrote:
Lisa7n99 wrote:Parents asking questions seems out of line. Of course I'm 28, I've been financially independent since the age of 18 from my own parents, and they were not at all involved in my academic/professional life so.....that might be why that seems to strange to me. However, I think people may just be excited about lawl skool, and want to share the experience with their family/SOs. As long as their presence doesn't stop you from interacting with your classmates, I don't see a problem with it at all.
I guess my problem was that it did...everyone was so absorbed in the people they brought with them that I didn't get to talk to anyone, it felt like. I had some nice conversations with current students, but not the prospectives.

In addition to some other moments, I had two girlfriends who came up and held their boyfriends arm, mid-conversation and after that point I only talked to THEM (and they were nice, don't get me wrong), instead of my potential future classmate. I don't know, it freaked me out quite a bit.

I've only been out of school for 2 years, but I didn't even THINK of bringing my parents. I was really, really excited to call them and my close friends and tell them all about it...but I wanted to experience it all for myself, and it sort of depressed me that there wasn't anyone else who felt the same way. And I wanted to slap some of the parents.
That would bother me too. I'm sure there will be some "independent" students there in the fall...maybe it was just that day (hopefully).

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Pearalegal

Silver

Post by Pearalegal » Thu Apr 01, 2010 9:29 pm

FunkyJD wrote: Or ... because you are more mature, maybe you will go to ND, handle the academics better and demonstrate a higher degree of professionalism than your classmates, get a higher class rank and get a sweet job. It shouldn't turn you off in the least, IMO. (I wish there was a smiley for licking one's chops.)
Haha, thanks!

FunkyJD

Silver

Post by FunkyJD » Thu Apr 01, 2010 9:41 pm

Pearalegal wrote:
FunkyJD wrote: Or ... because you are more mature, maybe you will go to ND, handle the academics better and demonstrate a higher degree of professionalism than your classmates, get a higher class rank and get a sweet job. It shouldn't turn you off in the least, IMO. (I wish there was a smiley for licking one's chops.)
Haha, thanks!
IMO, you'll find people like you described in any graduate program -- whether or not they manifest themselves at an ASD. Maturity is truly an asset -- savor it and weaponize it shamelessly.

Matteliszt

Silver

Post by Matteliszt » Thu Apr 01, 2010 10:05 pm

There will be more independent people like you there. I would guess the high percentage of SO/parents is sampling error. Don't throw ND out yet :)

cheesus

New

Post by cheesus » Thu Apr 01, 2010 10:22 pm

FunkyJD wrote:
Pearalegal wrote:
Haha, thanks!
IMO, you'll find people like you described in any graduate program -- whether or not they manifest themselves at an ASD. Maturity is truly an asset -- savor it and weaponize it shamelessly.
I would also throw out there that a lot of the independent students, like myself, probably had to work instead of coming to ASD.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”