In at IU-Bloomington!!!!

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
narkizopoint

Re: In at IU-Bloomington!!!!

Postby narkizopoint » Thu Mar 18, 2010 9:44 am

Okay, guess its time to start apt hunting in Bloomington. Any tips for me halibut?

chisoxfan

Postby chisoxfan » Thu Mar 18, 2010 10:34 am

Anyone going to the Indiana Spring Break Chicago reception today?

Vincent Vega

Postby Vincent Vega » Thu Mar 18, 2010 11:28 am

narkizopoint wrote:Okay, guess its time to start apt hunting in Bloomington. Any tips for me halibut?

Yes, but I have to be somewhere in 2 minutes so I will write later. BTW this is Halibut6 w/ new screenname.

Vincent Vega

Postby Vincent Vega » Thu Mar 18, 2010 12:18 pm

There are a bunch of places right near the law school. A lot of law students live at Poolside (link (LinkRemoved)). Many others live in various apartments through Burnham Rentals (link).

I chose to go with Steeplechase (link (LinkRemoved)) because it was nicer and bigger for the price than the places right next to the law school. It's less than a 10-minute drive and has some good amenities. I looked at a couple places right by the law school and I was dumbfounded for what you got for what you paid in comparison to some of the places just a couple minutes farther from campus. Being a 0L myself and not having a ton of first-hand experience, I recommend getting a nicer place a bit off-campus.

I'll take this opportunity to further plug my roommate wanted ad (link (LinkRemoved)). I've gotten some responses, but I'd prefer to room with another law student.

Veritas

Postby Veritas » Thu Mar 18, 2010 12:22 pm

Vincent Vega wrote:There are a bunch of places right near the law school. A lot of law students live at Poolside (link (LinkRemoved)). Many others live in various apartments through Burnham Rentals (link).

I chose to go with Steeplechase (link (LinkRemoved)) because it was nicer and bigger for the price than the places right next to the law school. It's less than a 10-minute drive and has some good amenities. I looked at a couple places right by the law school and I was dumbfounded for what you got for what you paid in comparison to some of the places just a couple minutes farther from campus. Being a 0L myself and not having a ton of first-hand experience, I recommend getting a nicer place a bit off-campus.

I'll take this opportunity to further plug my roommate wanted ad (link (LinkRemoved)). I've gotten some responses, but I'd prefer to room with another law student.

are you planning on bringing your car to get back and forth from school or just use the bus?

fenderjsm88

Postby fenderjsm88 » Thu Mar 18, 2010 12:27 pm

chisoxfan wrote:Anyone going to the Indiana Spring Break Chicago reception today?

Yep. Well, I plan to. My suit is currently in California (my dad had to borrow it for something,) so I may not be able to attend depending on the dress code. How are you dressing?

traehekat

Postby traehekat » Thu Mar 18, 2010 12:54 pm

Weeeelp, nothing from IUB yet this week. Tomorrow will be the last day I'll have access to my mailbox, then I'll be on spring break for 9 days. Hope I hear something tomorrow!

chisoxfan

Postby chisoxfan » Thu Mar 18, 2010 1:15 pm

fenderjsm88 wrote:
chisoxfan wrote:Anyone going to the Indiana Spring Break Chicago reception today?

Yep. Well, I plan to. My suit is currently in California (my dad had to borrow it for something,) so I may not be able to attend depending on the dress code. How are you dressing?

I was planning on business cas, since that's what my office is. Honestly hadn't thought to grab my suit jacket when I left this morning. I'm sure there will be a mix of casual/suits. Wouldn't worry too much about it.

crm

Postby crm » Thu Mar 18, 2010 1:16 pm

traehekat wrote:Weeeelp, nothing from IUB yet this week. Tomorrow will be the last day I'll have access to my mailbox, then I'll be on spring break for 9 days. Hope I hear something tomorrow!

Damn. I won't get my mail for another 5 hrs or so, but I'm basically assuming that when you hear, I'll hear...

Vincent Vega

Postby Vincent Vega » Thu Mar 18, 2010 1:43 pm

Veritas wrote:
Vincent Vega wrote:There are a bunch of places right near the law school. A lot of law students live at Poolside (link (LinkRemoved)). Many others live in various apartments through Burnham Rentals (link).

are you planning on bringing your car to get back and forth from school or just use the bus?

Well, I'm bringing my car and bike, but I plan on taking the bus on most days. There's a stop on the BT #5 line right outside my complex. On nice days, I'll probably take my bike (~20-25 minute ride).

danquayle

Postby danquayle » Thu Mar 18, 2010 1:54 pm

Vincent Vega wrote:
Veritas wrote:

Well, I'm bringing my car and bike, but I plan on taking the bus on most days. There's a stop on the BT #5 line right outside my complex. On nice days, I'll probably take my bike (~20-25 minute ride).

I know a lot of people that lived a couple miles from campus, while I lived a 10 minute walk from the law school... and for my 2 cents its hard to beat the joy you get out of living in the lively little town. I think you miss out on a lot of the charm. That being said, most of the apartments a ways out from the town center are very, very nice. I guess its a preference thing. Its just hard to beat being able to barbecue and play cornhole while watching all the undergrads walk by...

Veritas

Postby Veritas » Thu Mar 18, 2010 2:38 pm

danquayle wrote:
Vincent Vega wrote:

I know a lot of people that lived a couple miles from campus, while I lived a 10 minute walk from the law school... and for my 2 cents its hard to beat the joy you get out of living in the lively little town. I think you miss out on a lot of the charm. That being said, most of the apartments a ways out from the town center are very, very nice. I guess its a preference thing. Its just hard to beat being able to barbecue and play cornhole while watching all the undergrads walk by...

where did you live?

danquayle

Postby danquayle » Thu Mar 18, 2010 3:24 pm

Veritas wrote:
danquayle wrote:
Vincent Vega wrote:

where did you live?

PM

fenderjsm88

Postby fenderjsm88 » Thu Mar 18, 2010 11:44 pm

The event in Chicago tonight was pretty cool. Contrary to the TLS consensus, Indiana seems to have a large and thriving alumni network in Chicago. Even the CEO of Playboy Enterprises has a JD from Indiana Law (he was the speaker..Playboy is based in Chicago.) The event was for all Indiana alum, but a large number of them were from the law school...and they all seemed to have good jobs in Chicago. I talked with a group of 1Ls who are home in Chicagoland for spring break. They all seemed to love the school and Bloomington. One of them had recently gotten back from an IU law networking event in DC, and said that all the big firms and government agencies out there had IU alumni who were eager to help law students. Apparently IU had a similar trip to New York, as well. All in all, I'm a little bit more excited about IU after this event.

traehekat

Postby traehekat » Thu Mar 18, 2010 11:47 pm

fenderjsm88 wrote:The event in Chicago tonight was pretty cool. Contrary to the TLS consensus, Indiana seems to have a large and thriving alumni network in Chicago. Even the CEO of Playboy Enterprises has a JD from Indiana Law (he was the speaker..Playboy is based in Chicago.) The event was for all Indiana alum, but a large number of them were from the law school...and they all seemed to have good jobs in Chicago. I talked with a group of 1Ls who are home in Chicagoland for spring break. They all seemed to love the school and Bloomington. One of them had recently gotten back from an IU law networking event in DC, and said that all the big firms and government agencies out there had IU alumni who were eager to help law students. Apparently IU had a similar trip to New York, as well. All in all, I'm a little bit more excited about IU after this event.

Interesting, thanks for sharing.

Vincent Vega

Postby Vincent Vega » Fri Mar 19, 2010 12:54 am

fenderjsm88 wrote:The event in Chicago tonight was pretty cool. Contrary to the TLS consensus, Indiana seems to have a large and thriving alumni network in Chicago. Even the CEO of Playboy Enterprises has a JD from Indiana Law (he was the speaker..Playboy is based in Chicago.) The event was for all Indiana alum, but a large number of them were from the law school...and they all seemed to have good jobs in Chicago. I talked with a group of 1Ls who are home in Chicagoland for spring break. They all seemed to love the school and Bloomington. One of them had recently gotten back from an IU law networking event in DC, and said that all the big firms and government agencies out there had IU alumni who were eager to help law students. Apparently IU had a similar trip to New York, as well. All in all, I'm a little bit more excited about IU after this event.

This echos what people said about the DC event. It just doesn't seem to mesh with reality completely. I realize the economy is worse now than it used to be, but it doesn't seem like there should be so many well-off alumni out there. I mean, was everybody at these events in the top five percent or something?

parks1388

Postby parks1388 » Fri Mar 19, 2010 1:25 am

Soooooooo new to the forum....but let's get back to important things....bar crawl?

Veritas

Postby Veritas » Fri Mar 19, 2010 1:46 am

parks1388 wrote:Soooooooo new to the forum....but let's get back to important things....bar crawl?

join the fb group!

HungryHippo

Postby HungryHippo » Fri Mar 19, 2010 3:29 am

Who else on TLS has yet to hear from IUB? :(

Waiting since January.........

Jerome

Postby Jerome » Fri Mar 19, 2010 10:34 am

HungryHippo wrote:Who else on TLS has yet to hear from IUB? :(

+1.

theseus636

Postby theseus636 » Fri Mar 19, 2010 11:57 am

Just officially committed. Feelin' pretty good.

traehekat

Postby traehekat » Fri Mar 19, 2010 12:12 pm

Jerome wrote:

+1.

+1

crm

Postby crm » Fri Mar 19, 2010 12:28 pm

traehekat wrote:
Jerome wrote:

+1.

+1

me as well

algren

Postby algren » Fri Mar 19, 2010 2:11 pm

crm wrote:
traehekat wrote:
Jerome wrote:

+1.

+1

me as well

And +1 more...

crm

Postby crm » Fri Mar 19, 2010 3:35 pm

theseus636 wrote:Just officially committed. Feelin' pretty good.

Congrats!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”