In at IU-Bloomington!!!!

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
savagecheater

Re: In at IU-Bloomington!!!!

Postby savagecheater » Tue Mar 16, 2010 10:53 pm

fenderjsm88 wrote:Indiana wants a decision by 4/1, but I'm on the waitlists at Illinois and ND, and won't be hearing back until the late spring/summer. IU says they are flexible about the deadline and require no down payment, so I'm just gonna ask for some extra time. Anybody know how much extra time they usually give people in these situations?

+1 interested in this as well.

Waiting on two of my biggest decisions....

84Sunbird2000

Postby 84Sunbird2000 » Tue Mar 16, 2010 11:08 pm

savagecheater wrote:
fenderjsm88 wrote:Indiana wants a decision by 4/1, but I'm on the waitlists at Illinois and ND, and won't be hearing back until the late spring/summer. IU says they are flexible about the deadline and require no down payment, so I'm just gonna ask for some extra time. Anybody know how much extra time they usually give people in these situations?

+1 interested in this as well.

Waiting on two of my biggest decisions....

I got an extension until 4/15. Just send an email explaining your situation.

Vincent Vega

Postby Vincent Vega » Wed Mar 17, 2010 12:48 am

As far as waitlists go, each school you get into probably realizes that its probably not the top school you applied to, and recognizes the possibility that you might get in somewhere off of a waitlist. You commit now with the best intentions and withdraw if something better comes up. Luckily, Indiana doesn't require a deposit like most schools, so you're not out any money if you withdraw.

With the ASD question, you get fully paid accommodations only if you have a full scholarship. Otherwise, I don't think they help with transportation or anything, but I'm not 100% sure about that.

biggiemike000

Postby biggiemike000 » Wed Mar 17, 2010 9:04 am

In with full scholarship which seemed kind of surprising considering my numbers (Out of state, 164, 3.87). This is my #1 choice. Does anyone know the GPA/Rank requirement to maintain the full ride? Thanks

MissMatch

Postby MissMatch » Wed Mar 17, 2010 9:44 am

biggiemike000 wrote:In with full scholarship which seemed kind of surprising considering my numbers (Out of state, 164, 3.87). This is my #1 choice. Does anyone know the GPA/Rank requirement to maintain the full ride? Thanks

Congrats! From my understanding after reading my letter, there doesn't seem to be a specific GPA/Rank requirement...it sounded to me that you just need to keep your head above water and not fail your classes...I never verified this with the admissions office though, did anyone here ask?

BerryBlossom

Postby BerryBlossom » Wed Mar 17, 2010 10:00 am

Has anyone had any luck asking IU to match scholarship offers from other schools? And if so how long did it take to get a reply?

Vincent Vega

Postby Vincent Vega » Wed Mar 17, 2010 10:52 am

I wonder how high a percentage their full scholarship recipients are among total acceptances this cycle. I imagine it might be as high as 25% - there have been many, many people on here who have gotten them.

84Sunbird2000

Postby 84Sunbird2000 » Wed Mar 17, 2010 10:58 am

Vincent Vega wrote:I wonder how high a percentage their full scholarship recipients are among total acceptances this cycle. I imagine it might be as high as 25% - there have been many, many people on here who have gotten them.

This is possible. It appears that most people with numbers over both medians have received full rides. I'd guess, that due to taking splitters in both directions to shore up their medians, the number is more like 15%....which is still huge.

I actually called up one school to negotiate using Indiana's scholarship, and they basically said.."After that donation, we can't really compete with them scholarship-wise". I'm guessing I'm far from the only person using that as a bargaining chip within the T30 or even T50.

It's looking more and more like IU will be the spot, but I'll have to visit all the other contenders first.

roguey

Postby roguey » Wed Mar 17, 2010 11:07 am

84Sunbird2000 wrote:
Vincent Vega wrote:I wonder how high a percentage their full scholarship recipients are among total acceptances this cycle. I imagine it might be as high as 25% - there have been many, many people on here who have gotten them.

This is possible. It appears that most people with numbers over both medians have received full rides. I'd guess, that due to taking splitters in both directions to shore up their medians, the number is more like 15%....which is still huge.

I actually called up one school to negotiate using Indiana's scholarship, and they basically said.."After that donation, we can't really compete with them scholarship-wise". I'm guessing I'm far from the only person using that as a bargaining chip within the T30 or even T50.

It's looking more and more like IU will be the spot, but I'll have to visit all the other contenders first.

This is making things look brighter about affording IUB. I hope I'm not just getting my hopes up. I still haven't received a decision from them :(

kkmae

Postby kkmae » Wed Mar 17, 2010 11:37 am

Hey question for those who have negotiated scholarships -- I've read that they might match kent/loyola/depaul has anyone tried to do that and successfully? Did you call or email? I really hope it's email, I can't imagine talking about money on the phone with an adcomm would be anything but awkward...

traehekat

Postby traehekat » Wed Mar 17, 2010 11:38 am

kkmae wrote:Hey question for those who have negotiated scholarships -- I've read that they might match kent/loyola/depaul has anyone tried to do that and successfully? Did you call or email? I really hope it's email, I can't imagine talking about money on the phone with an adcomm would be anything but awkward...

Earlier in the cycle this would have been more likely, but now I think it may be a long shot. Definitely worth a try though, the worst that can happen is they just say no.

danquayle

Postby danquayle » Wed Mar 17, 2010 11:40 am

My suspicion is that a slight plurality of the scholarships offered are full rides this year. They're just using the money to bolster their offerings. In other words, people who didn't get money last year won't get any more money this year, even if the school has tons more to throw around. Numbers with poorer numbers have always subsidized those with better numbers, and if anything that'll probably just become more extreme. Sort of a full ride or bust scenario.

danquayle

Postby danquayle » Wed Mar 17, 2010 11:41 am

duplicate...
Last edited by danquayle on Wed Mar 17, 2010 11:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

danquayle

Postby danquayle » Wed Mar 17, 2010 11:42 am

traehekat wrote:
kkmae wrote:Hey question for those who have negotiated scholarships -- I've read that they might match kent/loyola/depaul has anyone tried to do that and successfully? Did you call or email? I really hope it's email, I can't imagine talking about money on the phone with an adcomm would be anything but awkward...

Earlier in the cycle this would have been more likely, but now I think it may be a long shot. Definitely worth a try though, the worst that can happen is they just say no.

I'm not sure about that... it probably depends on how much money they have in 'play.' Once people with full rides start withdrawing, that'll start freeing up more scholarship money. This pretty well flushes with my anecdotal experience... money seems to flow most at the beginning and at the end. (Trying to get people to commit early, then trying to lock up the stranded left overs). This is precisely what happened to a girl I know who received a full ride after applying July with a 164/3.8.

traehekat

Postby traehekat » Wed Mar 17, 2010 12:09 pm

danquayle wrote:
traehekat wrote:

I'm not sure about that... it probably depends on how much money they have in 'play.' Once people with full rides start withdrawing, that'll start freeing up more scholarship money. This pretty well flushes with my anecdotal experience... money seems to flow most at the beginning and at the end. (Trying to get people to commit early, then trying to lock up the stranded left overs). This is precisely what happened to a girl I know who received a full ride after applying July with a 164/3.8.

Good point, so I guess it's possible!

Veritas

Postby Veritas » Wed Mar 17, 2010 12:59 pm

MissMatch wrote:
biggiemike000 wrote:In with full scholarship which seemed kind of surprising considering my numbers (Out of state, 164, 3.87). This is my #1 choice. Does anyone know the GPA/Rank requirement to maintain the full ride? Thanks

Congrats! From my understanding after reading my letter, there doesn't seem to be a specific GPA/Rank requirement...it sounded to me that you just need to keep your head above water and not fail your classes...I never verified this with the admissions office though, did anyone here ask?

This is correct. I emailed the asking and was informed that you have to maintain a 2.3, which is just required to graduate.

biggiemike000

Postby biggiemike000 » Wed Mar 17, 2010 1:18 pm

Thanks Veritas, I just called and that is what they told me too. I'm going to withdraw the rest of my applications as that is that best offer I've got to the highest rank I've applied to as of right now (still waiting for about five schools!).

SportsFanatic

Postby SportsFanatic » Wed Mar 17, 2010 2:36 pm

biggiemike000 wrote:Thanks Veritas, I just called and that is what they told me too. I'm going to withdraw the rest of my applications as that is that best offer I've got to the highest rank I've applied to as of right now (still waiting for about five schools!).

Doing the same, IU looks better everyday

crm

Postby crm » Wed Mar 17, 2010 3:45 pm

All you guys on here talking about full rides and whatnot..

I just at least want an acceptance...

pieceofbeth

Postby pieceofbeth » Wed Mar 17, 2010 9:00 pm

I feel you CRM. I'm in but my scholarship feels pretty weak when it seems like tons of people are getting full tuition.

fenderjsm88

Postby fenderjsm88 » Wed Mar 17, 2010 11:12 pm

pieceofbeth wrote:I feel you CRM. I'm in but my scholarship feels pretty weak when it seems like tons of people are getting full tuition.

Yeah, same. I'm getting 15k a year, but it seems like people with my LSAT and a slightly higher GPA are getting full rides..oh, well. At least we got something!

So...who's going to the Indiana law event in Chicago tomorrow night? Apparently, the guest speaker is an Indiana Law grad who is the CEO of...Playboy?

Slimpee

Postby Slimpee » Wed Mar 17, 2010 11:50 pm

pieceofbeth wrote:I feel you CRM. I'm in but my scholarship feels pretty weak when it seems like tons of people are getting full tuition.

Not to be a jerk or anything but your offer is in line w/ what others w/ similar numbers have received...

barrydukakis

Postby barrydukakis » Thu Mar 18, 2010 12:02 am

Anyone else have issues finding a mildly reasonable flight in/out of indianapolis?

parks1388

Postby parks1388 » Thu Mar 18, 2010 1:28 am

Full rider here... loved the personal note and the packet. They have been incredibly professional about everything IMO. I was loving the attention I received from WM but the scholly there just doesn't compare to a full ride, and getting flown out is pretty nice. I hope to see a bunch of you there. I spoke to an alumn from my UG whose a 3L and he was thrilled to hear that I was interested and just couldn't say enough about how much he loved his time in Bloomington. I hope the weekend lives up to the hype!

pieceofbeth

Postby pieceofbeth » Thu Mar 18, 2010 7:57 am

Slimpee wrote:

Not to be a jerk or anything but your offer is in line w/ what others w/ similar numbers have received...

Oh I know- it's more just me expressing my annoyance with myself for not working harder in undergrad for a better gpa which would have ultimately led to more money.

I'll be there in the fall accumulating debt and just want to know if anyone else is in my boat.

And ok... I'll admit... maybe just a BIT jealous 8)

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”