In at IU-Bloomington!!!!

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Jerome

Re: In at IU-Bloomington!!!!

Postby Jerome » Tue Mar 16, 2010 10:59 am

traehekat wrote:Holding out for a decision this week. If accepted I really, really hope IUB can throw some money my way, otherwise I can't see choosing IUB over Iowa, both at sticker.

+1.

msbeautifulbasham

Postby msbeautifulbasham » Tue Mar 16, 2010 11:46 am

I had a question about Bloomington that I asked in another thread. Maybe some of you guys can help me out. Thanks :)

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=111149

sporkdevil

Postby sporkdevil » Tue Mar 16, 2010 12:37 pm

msbeautifulbasham wrote:I had a question about Bloomington that I asked in another thread. Maybe some of you guys can help me out. Thanks :)

I gave you my two cents. I took my first trip to the Midwest this time last year, and saw Bloomington the day after looking at Urbana/Champaign. There was really zero comparison for me.

charlesjd

Postby charlesjd » Tue Mar 16, 2010 12:40 pm

sporkdevil wrote:
msbeautifulbasham wrote:I had a question about Bloomington that I asked in another thread. Maybe some of you guys can help me out. Thanks :)

I gave you my two cents. I took my first trip to the Midwest this time last year, and saw Bloomington the day after looking at Urbana/Champaign. There was really zero comparison for me.

I feel both schools are quite similar campus wise to be honest. The UIUC law building was really cool though, but IU did have that old law feeling to it which was cool too. UIUC vs. IU is hard if you don't care what the elitists here say.

Vincent Vega

Postby Vincent Vega » Tue Mar 16, 2010 1:29 pm

traehekat wrote:Holding out for a decision this week. If accepted I really, really hope IUB can throw some money my way, otherwise I can't see choosing IUB over Iowa, both at sticker.

I chose IU over Iowa with equal money. Iowa offers more limited job prospects than Indiana, plus it is in the middle of the most boring state in the union. I never even considered Iowa once I got my acceptance from Indiana, to be honest. It really came down to $$$ at Indiana vs. $ at Illinois.

traehekat

Postby traehekat » Tue Mar 16, 2010 2:39 pm

Vincent Vega wrote:

I chose IU over Iowa with equal money. Iowa offers more limited job prospects than Indiana, plus it is in the middle of the most boring state in the union. I never even considered Iowa once I got my acceptance from Indiana, to be honest. It really came down to $$$ at Indiana vs. $ at Illinois.

I'll admit that as far as location is considered I would choose IUB over Iowa, but a number of things seem to swing in Iowa's favor after that. I'm out of state at both, but I can get resident tuition at Iowa for my second and third year with a RA position, whereas at IUB I'm not aware of any way to avoid paying non-resident tuition all three years. NLJ 250 placement seems to be better at Iowa as well, at least for the 2009 graduates. Iowa has always been a T30 school (and almost always a T25 school), whereas IUB as always been considered a T35-40 school, until this year (which many seem to accredit to a large donation to the law school). I'm not sure how they match up in the Chicago placement category, but I have to imagine it is pretty similar. I know Iowa has been known to break into other Midwest markets like Milwaukee, Kansas City, Minneapolis, etc. One thing I'll admit IUB seems to have in their favor is it looks like they have a local market to fall back on (Indianapolis), whereas Iowa graduates are typically going to other states and competing with graduates from local schools.

Does this sound right about right, or am I totally off here? If you agree, what have you found that made you choose IUB over Iowa?

pieceofbeth

Postby pieceofbeth » Tue Mar 16, 2010 2:42 pm

Is there an admitted students facebook page?

danquayle

Postby danquayle » Tue Mar 16, 2010 2:47 pm

Vincent Vega wrote:

Iowa is far more geographically isolated from other markets than Indiana, which is Iowa's primary problem. The problem is not at the top - top 10-20% at Iowa do as well as anyone and can get great jobs in Chicago. However, the bottom half at Iowa don't have a huge amount of alternative markets, whereas the bottom half at Indiana has Kentucky, Ohio, Michigan... and Indiana itself.

lawhawk

Postby lawhawk » Tue Mar 16, 2010 3:26 pm

If it came down to IU vs Iowa for me there would 1 deciding factor...

Indianapolis >>>>>>>>>>> Des Moines

MissMatch

Postby MissMatch » Tue Mar 16, 2010 4:08 pm

pieceofbeth wrote:Is there an admitted students facebook page?

Yep, here is the link: http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/gro ... 4139357927

pieceofbeth

Postby pieceofbeth » Tue Mar 16, 2010 4:09 pm

MissMatch wrote:
pieceofbeth wrote:Is there an admitted students facebook page?

Yep, here is the link: http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/gro ... 4139357927

Awesome, thanks!

MissMatch

Postby MissMatch » Tue Mar 16, 2010 4:15 pm

Went to the Spring Break networking event in D.C. yesterday...really impressed with how friendly, welcoming, and helpful the current students and alumni were...hoping that SLD goes just as well :D

Vincent Vega

Postby Vincent Vega » Tue Mar 16, 2010 4:37 pm

MissMatch wrote:Went to the Spring Break networking event in D.C. yesterday...really impressed with how friendly, welcoming, and helpful the current students and alumni were...hoping that SLD goes just as well :D

Great to hear! I can't wait to be back in Bloomington!

msbeautifulbasham

Postby msbeautifulbasham » Tue Mar 16, 2010 5:21 pm

charlesjd wrote:
sporkdevil wrote:

I feel both schools are quite similar campus wise to be honest. The UIUC law building was really cool though, but IU did have that old law feeling to it which was cool too. UIUC vs. IU is hard if you don't care what the elitists here say.

msbeautifulbasham wrote:
I had a question about Bloomington that I asked in another thread. Maybe some of you guys can help me out. Thanks

Thanks, guys! I appreciate the help! :)

barrydukakis

Postby barrydukakis » Tue Mar 16, 2010 7:30 pm

Just got flat out stomped at scholarship program of my choice in-state. Indiana love took a huge leap.

Veritas

Postby Veritas » Tue Mar 16, 2010 7:53 pm

barrydukakis wrote:Just got flat out stomped at scholarship program of my choice in-state. Indiana love took a huge leap.

what happened?

barrydukakis

Postby barrydukakis » Tue Mar 16, 2010 8:21 pm

Not selected for the interview stage of UW's Gates Scholarship program, my in-state school, above both 75th (LSAT barely).
Last edited by barrydukakis on Wed Apr 14, 2010 10:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Vincent Vega

Postby Vincent Vega » Tue Mar 16, 2010 9:05 pm

barrydukakis wrote:Not selected for the interview stage of UW's Gates Scholarship program, my in-state school, above both 75th (LSAT barely).

To add insult to injury, I e-mailed their admission dean Monday of last week so that I could visit and hopefully talk about attending in the likely event that I did not receive a gates PSL, and she never replied. I've worked pretty hard in the state capitol on their behalf these past couple months, put in an incredible amount of time with our Representatives and Senators... legislative committees on behalf of their institution.

UW Law does not really offer any aid other than the Gates that isn't straight up debt.

UW also snubbed me pretty hard for undergrad.

Indiana +1...2...3...4

I feel you. I love Wisconsin so much. I grew up being a huge Badgers fan. I'm from Illinois, but my dad went to UW-Oshkosh and so I've always been loved UW and Madison, too, actually. I didn't even bother applying there for law school, though, because I knew I had little to no shot at getting scholarship love.

84Sunbird2000

Postby 84Sunbird2000 » Tue Mar 16, 2010 9:09 pm

Vincent Vega wrote:
barrydukakis wrote:Not selected for the interview stage of UW's Gates Scholarship program, my in-state school, above both 75th (LSAT barely).

To add insult to injury, I e-mailed their admission dean Monday of last week so that I could visit and hopefully talk about attending in the likely event that I did not receive a gates PSL, and she never replied. I've worked pretty hard in the state capitol on their behalf these past couple months, put in an incredible amount of time with our Representatives and Senators... legislative committees on behalf of their institution.

UW Law does not really offer any aid other than the Gates that isn't straight up debt.

Indiana +1...2...3...4

I feel you. I love Wisconsin so much. I grew up being a huge Badgers fan. I'm from Illinois, but my dad went to UW-Oshkosh and so I've always been loved UW and Madison, too, actually. I didn't even bother applying there for law school, though, because I knew I had little to no shot at getting scholarship love.

UW, in this case, means U of Washington, not Madison. I only know because I saw the Gates scholarship when I was researching schools to apply to.

Vincent Vega

Postby Vincent Vega » Tue Mar 16, 2010 9:17 pm

84Sunbird2000 wrote:
Vincent Vega wrote:

Indiana +1...2...3...4

UW, in this case, means U of Washington, not Madison. I only know because I saw the Gates scholarship when I was researching schools to apply to.

I see. UW only means Wisconsin to me.

theseus636

Postby theseus636 » Tue Mar 16, 2010 9:30 pm

I feel you. I love Wisconsin so much. I grew up being a huge Badgers fan. I'm from Illinois, but my dad went to UW-Oshkosh and so I've always been loved UW and Madison, too, actually. I didn't even bother applying there for law school, though, because I knew I had little to no shot at getting scholarship love.[/quote]

My dad went to UW-Oshkosh, too.

barrydukakis

Postby barrydukakis » Tue Mar 16, 2010 9:33 pm

Apparently UW is not a friendly acronym for any kind of scholarship... kind of funny actually.

jrobby6

Postby jrobby6 » Tue Mar 16, 2010 9:38 pm

anyone going to the asw in a week and a half? im seriously contemplating after getting in with significant scholarship money. should i go? do they pay for airfare and hotel?

Veritas

Postby Veritas » Tue Mar 16, 2010 9:38 pm

jrobby6 wrote:anyone going to the asw in a week and a half? im seriously contemplating after getting in with significant scholarship money. should i go? do they pay for airfare and hotel?

yes you should go! join the fb group, too

fenderjsm88

Postby fenderjsm88 » Tue Mar 16, 2010 10:28 pm

Indiana wants a decision by 4/1, but I'm on the waitlists at Illinois and ND, and won't be hearing back until the late spring/summer. IU says they are flexible about the deadline and require no down payment, so I'm just gonna ask for some extra time. Anybody know how much extra time they usually give people in these situations?

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”