In at IU-Bloomington!!!!

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
User avatar
traehekat
Posts: 3195
Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 4:00 pm

Re: In at IU-Bloomington!!!!

Postby traehekat » Thu Feb 18, 2010 1:07 am

Man, this thread blew up and now it is scaring me.

charlesjd
Posts: 362
Joined: Mon Jul 13, 2009 10:28 am

Re: In at IU-Bloomington!!!!

Postby charlesjd » Thu Feb 18, 2010 1:13 am


Yeah it doesn't make sense to me either. I was admitted to UIUC with money, but rejected at IUB. Reverse splitter non-URM with 25th percentile LSAT, 75th percentile GPA, mind you.



WOW.

User avatar
Vincent Vega
Posts: 1182
Joined: Mon Oct 26, 2009 11:36 pm

Re: In at IU-Bloomington!!!!

Postby Vincent Vega » Thu Feb 18, 2010 3:16 am

traehekat wrote:Man, this thread blew up and now it is scaring me.


Don't worry, you still have really competitive numbers. I can't imagine that they wouldn't let you in.

sleepygirl
Posts: 22
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 12:03 pm

Re: In at IU-Bloomington!!!!

Postby sleepygirl » Thu Feb 18, 2010 9:42 am

Halibut6 wrote:
RMstratosphere wrote:I didn't see the option to live with Halibut in a ballin' apartment highlighted in the email from Dani today. Shame on you, admissions.


Yeah. Some of those places were much farther away from the law school than Steeplechase, too. Boo, Dani Weatherford.



Back to more fun thoughts... the bus system in Bloomington is AMAZING and most apartments are not "too far". I lived in Bloomington for years without a car (or a driver's license, for that matter), lived a few miles out from campus (well, from the Law School side of campus), and never had too many issues.

mlf1939
Posts: 7
Joined: Sun Nov 08, 2009 6:03 pm

Re: In at IU-Bloomington!!!!

Postby mlf1939 » Thu Feb 18, 2010 11:25 am

Bankhead wrote:IU 1L here:

1. IU admits a small class of around 200 students. Therefore, they can afford to be selective. This year I'm sure they can afford to be extra selective because of the increase in rankings which I'm sure has led to an influx of applications.

2. IU admits holistically. This is evident by the personal interviews they do every year. They really do pride themselves on having a diverse class. And I don't mean just URMs.

3. Yield protection - See #2. I'm sure that they can tell to some extent when applicants are using IU as a safety net or are just applying because its a now T25. If you can show a natural connection to the school, or some reason for wanting to attend I'm sure you could get in with a higher LSAT. 10-15% of our class, this year, has a 170+. I doubt they would be turning away 167+ simply because they have a 167+, but who knows.

Or perhaps they aren't trying to be holistic at all. Maybe IU realizes they are not going to be able to raise their LSAT median above what it currently is, so they are denying 167+'s so they can boost their USNWR ranking by focusing on raising their GPA and acceptance --> matric rate (which would be served by admitting lower LSAT's who are more likely to attend).

Personally, I got in off the waitlist last year in June with a large scholarship. My LSAT was I think at the median and my GPA was well below. Did not send a LOCI or show any other continued interest. Good luck everyone.


#3 is me. IU was supposed to be my backup. I went there for undergrad and think the school and Bloomington is great, but apparently I didn’t show enough interest and they waitlisted me.

I’m 168, 3.9, and had LOR’s from two IU professors (one is a department head). I didn’t really “personalize” my application for IU too much, but used the same personal statement and resume that got me into Duke and USC and an interview with GULC (app still pending). I went back and checked my app for glaring errors and didn’t find any, so I can only assume that they realized IU was not high on my list of schools and called my bluff. Oh well. Bloomington is awesome and IU is a cool place so congrats to everyone that got in.

User avatar
Vincent Vega
Posts: 1182
Joined: Mon Oct 26, 2009 11:36 pm

Re: In at IU-Bloomington!!!!

Postby Vincent Vega » Thu Feb 18, 2010 11:38 am

Everyone talks about YP like it's a bad thing. Admissions offices do a lot more heinous things than that, in my opinion. Cases in point - UVA giving out a million fee waivers to people who have no chance at getting in just to raise app numbers, schools stringing out applicants for 4-5 months (IU included) when a decision could easily be given within a month if they were on their game, etc.

I would feel a lot more slighted if I was rejected by a school where I had very competitive numbers than being waitlisted at a safety school. Just send a LOCI and get off of it - it's not a death sentence.

User avatar
traehekat
Posts: 3195
Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 4:00 pm

Re: In at IU-Bloomington!!!!

Postby traehekat » Thu Feb 18, 2010 11:46 am

Halibut6 wrote:Everyone talks about YP like it's a bad thing. Admissions offices do a lot more heinous things than that, in my opinion. Cases in point - UVA giving out a million fee waivers to people who have no chance at getting in just to raise app numbers, schools stringing out applicants for 4-5 months (IU included) when a decision could easily be given within a month if they were on their game, etc.

I would feel a lot more slighted if I was rejected by a school where I had very competitive numbers than being waitlisted at a safety school. Just send a LOCI and get off of it - it's not a death sentence.


+1 Everyone talks about YP like it is the end of the world. If you really wanted to go to IUB with a 169/3.9 or whatever, they would admit you in a heartbeat.

The only problem I really have with YP is the fact you lose out on a possible scholarship offer. Even though someone with numbers well above the 75th percentiles of GPA and LSAT medians is likely to choose a higher ranked school, there are definitely some applicants out there who are looking to go to law school for free and were hoping for a full ride. OR, they were hoping to receive money and use it to leverage against other schools (although I'm not sure this is a tactic that is ethically much worse than YP). Either way, it kinda sucks when you apply to a school and hope for a large scholarship and end up on the waitlist.

User avatar
danquayle
Posts: 1108
Joined: Tue Dec 09, 2008 2:12 am

Re: In at IU-Bloomington!!!!

Postby danquayle » Thu Feb 18, 2010 12:00 pm

traehekat wrote:
Halibut6 wrote:Everyone talks about YP like it's a bad thing. Admissions offices do a lot more heinous things than that, in my opinion. Cases in point - UVA giving out a million fee waivers to people who have no chance at getting in just to raise app numbers, schools stringing out applicants for 4-5 months (IU included) when a decision could easily be given within a month if they were on their game, etc.

I would feel a lot more slighted if I was rejected by a school where I had very competitive numbers than being waitlisted at a safety school. Just send a LOCI and get off of it - it's not a death sentence.


+1 Everyone talks about YP like it is the end of the world. If you really wanted to go to IUB with a 169/3.9 or whatever, they would admit you in a heartbeat.

The only problem I really have with YP is the fact you lose out on a possible scholarship offer. Even though someone with numbers well above the 75th percentiles of GPA and LSAT medians is likely to choose a higher ranked school, there are definitely some applicants out there who are looking to go to law school for free and were hoping for a full ride. OR, they were hoping to receive money and use it to leverage against other schools (although I'm not sure this is a tactic that is ethically much worse than YP). Either way, it kinda sucks when you apply to a school and hope for a large scholarship and end up on the waitlist.


I waitlist does not necessarily mean you don't get scholarship money. Indiana gives out scholarships well into July, even full rides.

crm
Posts: 282
Joined: Fri Jan 15, 2010 11:21 pm

Re: In at IU-Bloomington!!!!

Postby crm » Thu Feb 18, 2010 1:30 pm

traehekat wrote:Man, this thread blew up and now it is scaring me.



right there with ya

User avatar
blurbz
Posts: 1229
Joined: Mon Jun 29, 2009 10:43 pm

Re: In at IU-Bloomington!!!!

Postby blurbz » Thu Feb 18, 2010 1:47 pm

Anyone know about scholarship negotiation at IU?

I got a 25k/year offer at Illinois and a 15k/year offer at Indiana. Their OOS tuition is almost identical...Thoughts on how to negotiate? Chances of success?

User avatar
traehekat
Posts: 3195
Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 4:00 pm

Re: In at IU-Bloomington!!!!

Postby traehekat » Thu Feb 18, 2010 2:02 pm

blurbz wrote:Anyone know about scholarship negotiation at IU?

I got a 25k/year offer at Illinois and a 15k/year offer at Indiana. Their OOS tuition is almost identical...Thoughts on how to negotiate? Chances of success?


From what I have heard IUB is very open to matching scholarships. I have a 20k/year offer from DePaul and Loyola and many have told me that IUB would be likely to match that, assuming they admit me with 15k/year, which applicants with similar numbers to me have been receiving.

I think you have a good shot at getting at least 25k/year from IUB. Good luck.

User avatar
Vincent Vega
Posts: 1182
Joined: Mon Oct 26, 2009 11:36 pm

Re: In at IU-Bloomington!!!!

Postby Vincent Vega » Thu Feb 18, 2010 2:25 pm

traehekat wrote:
blurbz wrote:Anyone know about scholarship negotiation at IU?

I got a 25k/year offer at Illinois and a 15k/year offer at Indiana. Their OOS tuition is almost identical...Thoughts on how to negotiate? Chances of success?


From what I have heard IUB is very open to matching scholarships. I have a 20k/year offer from DePaul and Loyola and many have told me that IUB would be likely to match that, assuming they admit me with 15k/year, which applicants with similar numbers to me have been receiving.

I think you have a good shot at getting at least 25k/year from IUB. Good luck.


I am almost certain they would match Illinois for you.

User avatar
Vincent Vega
Posts: 1182
Joined: Mon Oct 26, 2009 11:36 pm

Re: In at IU-Bloomington!!!!

Postby Vincent Vega » Thu Feb 18, 2010 3:06 pm

I just got rejected by Berkeley. My only remaining applications are at Emory, BU and WUSTL. Out of all of these, only a full ride at WUSTL would lure me away from IU. Since I am 99.9% certain that said scholarship is not forthcoming, I will be withdrawing from everywhere except Indiana.

So this is it - I am going to be committing to IU today!

narkizopoint
Posts: 200
Joined: Tue Dec 22, 2009 5:33 pm

Re: In at IU-Bloomington!!!!

Postby narkizopoint » Thu Feb 18, 2010 3:10 pm

Halibut6 wrote:I just got rejected by Berkeley. My only remaining applications are at Emory, BU and WUSTL. Out of all of these, only a full ride at WUSTL would lure me away from IU. Since I am 99.9% certain that said scholarship is not forthcoming, I will be withdrawing from everywhere except Indiana.

So this is it - I am going to be committing to IU today!


Not bailing on us like veritas? :wink:

User avatar
traehekat
Posts: 3195
Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 4:00 pm

Re: In at IU-Bloomington!!!!

Postby traehekat » Thu Feb 18, 2010 3:11 pm

Halibut6 wrote:I just got rejected by Berkeley. My only remaining applications are at Emory, BU and WUSTL. Out of all of these, only a full ride at WUSTL would lure me away from IU. Since I am 99.9% certain that said scholarship is not forthcoming, I will be withdrawing from everywhere except Indiana.

So this is it - I am going to be committing to IU today!


Congrats! Gotta feel good to close the book on the application process.

tram988
Posts: 1161
Joined: Mon Aug 14, 2006 12:51 pm

Re: In at IU-Bloomington!!!!

Postby tram988 » Thu Feb 18, 2010 3:22 pm

waitlisted-- funny because I emailed them a while ago and withdrew but they still waitlisted me.

User avatar
RMstratosphere
Posts: 443
Joined: Fri Jul 10, 2009 2:25 pm

Re: In at IU-Bloomington!!!!

Postby RMstratosphere » Thu Feb 18, 2010 3:30 pm

Halibut6 wrote:I just got rejected by Berkeley. My only remaining applications are at Emory, BU and WUSTL. Out of all of these, only a full ride at WUSTL would lure me away from IU. Since I am 99.9% certain that said scholarship is not forthcoming, I will be withdrawing from everywhere except Indiana.

So this is it - I am going to be committing to IU today!


Hey dude, I'm sorry to hear about your ding at Berkley but obviously pretty thrilled you'll be at IU-B. I'm also only waiting on the outside chance of a scholarship at WUSTL before committing to IU. Hope you're happy with your choice and I look forward to meeting you at SLD.

User avatar
Vincent Vega
Posts: 1182
Joined: Mon Oct 26, 2009 11:36 pm

Re: In at IU-Bloomington!!!!

Postby Vincent Vega » Thu Feb 18, 2010 3:31 pm

RMstratosphere wrote:
Halibut6 wrote:I just got rejected by Berkeley. My only remaining applications are at Emory, BU and WUSTL. Out of all of these, only a full ride at WUSTL would lure me away from IU. Since I am 99.9% certain that said scholarship is not forthcoming, I will be withdrawing from everywhere except Indiana.

So this is it - I am going to be committing to IU today!


Hey dude, I'm sorry to hear about your ding at Berkley but obviously pretty thrilled you'll be at IU-B. I'm also only waiting on the outside chance of a scholarship at WUSTL before committing to IU. Hope you're happy with your choice and I look forward to meeting you at SLD.


Same!

User avatar
Threepeat
Posts: 202
Joined: Sat Sep 26, 2009 11:37 pm

Re: In at IU-Bloomington!!!!

Postby Threepeat » Thu Feb 18, 2010 4:14 pm

Halibut6 wrote:I just got rejected by Berkeley. My only remaining applications are at Emory, BU and WUSTL. Out of all of these, only a full ride at WUSTL would lure me away from IU. Since I am 99.9% certain that said scholarship is not forthcoming, I will be withdrawing from everywhere except Indiana.

So this is it - I am going to be committing to IU today!


Sorry about Berkly, but congrats on making your decision! It's gotta feel great to finalize where you'll be next year.

User avatar
RMstratosphere
Posts: 443
Joined: Fri Jul 10, 2009 2:25 pm

Re: In at IU-Bloomington!!!!

Postby RMstratosphere » Thu Feb 18, 2010 8:08 pm

Halibut6 wrote:
RMstratosphere wrote:
Halibut6 wrote:I just got rejected by Berkeley. My only remaining applications are at Emory, BU and WUSTL. Out of all of these, only a full ride at WUSTL would lure me away from IU. Since I am 99.9% certain that said scholarship is not forthcoming, I will be withdrawing from everywhere except Indiana.

So this is it - I am going to be committing to IU today!


Hey dude, I'm sorry to hear about your ding at Berkley but obviously pretty thrilled you'll be at IU-B. I'm also only waiting on the outside chance of a scholarship at WUSTL before committing to IU. Hope you're happy with your choice and I look forward to meeting you at SLD.


Same!


Ha, that was supposed to be a PM, sorry for the public bro-mance.

User avatar
Threepeat
Posts: 202
Joined: Sat Sep 26, 2009 11:37 pm

Re: In at IU-Bloomington!!!!

Postby Threepeat » Thu Feb 18, 2010 8:13 pm

RMstratosphere wrote:
Halibut6 wrote:
RMstratosphere wrote:
Halibut6 wrote:I just got rejected by Berkeley. My only remaining applications are at Emory, BU and WUSTL. Out of all of these, only a full ride at WUSTL would lure me away from IU. Since I am 99.9% certain that said scholarship is not forthcoming, I will be withdrawing from everywhere except Indiana.

So this is it - I am going to be committing to IU today!


Hey dude, I'm sorry to hear about your ding at Berkley but obviously pretty thrilled you'll be at IU-B. I'm also only waiting on the outside chance of a scholarship at WUSTL before committing to IU. Hope you're happy with your choice and I look forward to meeting you at SLD.


Same!


Ha, that was supposed to be a PM, sorry for the public bro-mance.



get a room

User avatar
RMstratosphere
Posts: 443
Joined: Fri Jul 10, 2009 2:25 pm

Re: In at IU-Bloomington!!!!

Postby RMstratosphere » Thu Feb 18, 2010 8:24 pm


Ha, that was supposed to be a PM, sorry for the public bro-mance.



get a room



RMstratosphere wrote:Similarly- I'm looking for a twenty something, blonde, preferably married, who's has a sense of pity to split a hotel room with me for Spring Law Day. I'm willing to throw in a box of Franzia if need be. PM with photos.

charlesjd
Posts: 362
Joined: Mon Jul 13, 2009 10:28 am

Re: In at IU-Bloomington!!!!

Postby charlesjd » Thu Feb 18, 2010 8:48 pm

RMstratosphere wrote:

Ha, that was supposed to be a PM, sorry for the public bro-mance.



get a room



RMstratosphere wrote:Similarly- I'm looking for a twenty something, blonde, preferably married, who's has a sense of pity to split a hotel room with me for Spring Law Day. I'm willing to throw in a box of Franzia if need be. PM with photos.


LOLz.

User avatar
badwithpseudonyms
Posts: 815
Joined: Wed Apr 15, 2009 12:48 pm

Re: In at IU-Bloomington!!!!

Postby badwithpseudonyms » Thu Feb 18, 2010 9:38 pm

RMstratosphere wrote:

Ha, that was supposed to be a PM, sorry for the public bro-mance.



get a room



RMstratosphere wrote:Similarly- I'm looking for a twenty something, blonde, preferably married, who's has a sense of pity to split a hotel room with me for Spring Law Day. I'm willing to throw in a box of Franzia if need be. PM with photos.

Females are not something I've seen around this thread. Just pointing that out.

User avatar
Threepeat
Posts: 202
Joined: Sat Sep 26, 2009 11:37 pm

Re: In at IU-Bloomington!!!!

Postby Threepeat » Thu Feb 18, 2010 9:44 pm

No maybe not many females on this thread, but have you seen the females at IU? You won't be disappointed.




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: ajoelles, cyclawps, lawlaura3494 and 9 guests