In at IU-Bloomington!!!!

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
charlesjd

Re: In at IU-Bloomington!!!!

Postby charlesjd » Wed Feb 10, 2010 11:48 pm

roguey wrote:
letsdoit1982 wrote:
charlesjd wrote:
letsdoit1982 wrote:I think the economy has just screwed all of us over. Schools are getting so many damn applicants, which has made this cycle ridiculously competitive.

I have heard numerous times that law schools are obvious aware of this, and want applicants who really want to study law, another reason why people with what might be stellar numbers and WE are being WL or rejected. Adcoms are smart enough to tell when someone is applying because they lost their job or for the hell of it. However for those right out of undergrad, a few years out, with an obvious resume geared towards a career in law, you have a better chance at admission in SOME instances.

I disagree. In general, I think law schools do not know if you're legitimately interested in law. Even if they could, I don't think they would even really care - All they care about is boosting the prestige of their school. This is why law school is such a numbers game. If they actually cared about what the applicant's character and motives were, you would see people getting in to law school with numbers way below the school's medians. As it stands, you don't see this. Someone with low grades, a stellar LSAT, and who is clearly just trying to avoid the economy is going to get admitted over someone who has worked really hard the past 4 years and has shown serious interest in the law but has a mediocre LSAT.

I dunno. I tend to agree with the idea about those who have an interest in law being the ones admitted vs those going back to school because of the economy. I am saying this from the experience I've had thus far. I always wanted to go to law school but got into an abusive marriage where I wasn't allowed to. Once I ran away, I found a job at a law office and realized just how much I wanted to study law. I'm fully employed as a paralegal, and I make more than I did as a high school teacher. I think the difference between me and some of the other people on here with considerable work experience is I decided to change careers after I'd already changed careers, and I'm still employed with LORs from my former principals and my current boss. Then my PS talked about how I've wanted to go to law school since I was a geeky 10 year old. Adcoms can probably tell based upon resumes, LORs, and PSes whether a person is going to law school to hide from the recession or if it is a genuine career change motivated by an event other than possibly losing one's job. I could be wrong. I'm kinda tired.

Interesting, now that I remember, I heard that a buddy of mine had an interview with IU and the interviewers said to him something along the lines of: "looking at your resume, it looks like you have wanted to pursue a legal career for some time now."

superflush

Postby superflush » Thu Feb 11, 2010 11:12 am

Halibut6 wrote:
daagermy1 wrote:WL. Already in at Illinois w/$$ and on "select" preferred WL at Georgetown.

Thanks, IU, for the 11-week wait for nothing.

Withdrawing.

Interesting - 166/3.6 getting WLed. Maybe IU really is tightening up this year.

What the hell is going on?? :shock:

HungryHippo

Postby HungryHippo » Thu Feb 11, 2010 11:25 am

:( 165 / 3.5
You guys have me worried now. I REALLY want to go to IUB. I didn't even apply to Illinois!
haha Should I write then an addendum?

Dear Indiana Law School,

I did not apply to Illinois.

Sincerely,

Hungryhippo

Vincent Vega

Postby Vincent Vega » Thu Feb 11, 2010 12:27 pm

You could always send them some sort of innocent update. If you're in UG, you could send them last semester's grades. If anything has changed on your resume, send them a new one. Maybe another writing sample or something. No matter what it is, you should attach a cover letter declaring your continued interest in IU.

traehekat

Postby traehekat » Thu Feb 11, 2010 12:28 pm

Halibut6 wrote:You could always send them some sort of innocent update. If you're in UG, you could send them last semester's grades. If anything has changed on your resume, send them a new one. Maybe another writing sample or something. No matter what it is, you should attach a cover letter declaring your continued interest in IU.

How'd the visit go to IU go?

Vincent Vega

Postby Vincent Vega » Thu Feb 11, 2010 12:34 pm

I liked it a lot. My fiancee sent me the pictures from the trip, but for some reason the pictures from inside the LS itself weren't with the others. I will upload the other ones and post them here presently.

Vincent Vega

Postby Vincent Vega » Thu Feb 11, 2010 12:41 pm

MissMatch

Postby MissMatch » Fri Feb 12, 2010 12:44 pm

Just joined TLS...

In yesterday with full scholarship (164 and 3.9 GPA)...Almost certain that I will be attending! Very excited :D

Anyone going to visit on March 27th?

Neil

Postby Neil » Fri Feb 12, 2010 12:56 pm

MissMatch wrote:Just joined TLS...

In yesterday with full scholarship (164 and 3.9 GPA)...Almost certain that I will be attending! Very excited :D

Congrats, that's a sweet deal!

Also, saw this and realized it has been just over 8 weeks now since I got an e-mail from IU-B on 12/14 saying it would be 6 to 8 weeks before they contact me with a decision. Anybody know how far behind this timeline they've been?

reasonabledoubt

Postby reasonabledoubt » Fri Feb 12, 2010 1:19 pm

It's pretty safe to say that 164 is the magical lsat number for IUB this year.....

Anyways, I interviewed as well a few weeks ago, got the 6-8 week email thing, and am patiently waiting... I can't wait to hear a fellow interviewer posting about whether they got in or not. (and with any $$)

MissMatch

Postby MissMatch » Fri Feb 12, 2010 1:21 pm

Neil wrote:

Also, saw this and realized it has been just over 8 weeks now since I got an e-mail from IU-B on 12/14 saying it would be 6 to 8 weeks before they contact me with a decision. Anybody know how far behind this timeline they've been?

I received that email on 12/14 as well...so you should probably be getting it any day now!

Neil

Postby Neil » Fri Feb 12, 2010 1:35 pm

MissMatch wrote:
Neil wrote:

I received that email on 12/14 as well...so you should probably be getting it any day now!

:shock: Now I'm antsy for the mail to come in a few hours. Thanks for the info!

cr073137

Postby cr073137 » Fri Feb 12, 2010 1:40 pm

Im pissed at IU, I really want to go there, but because im an int'l student, they have the int'l student office first screen us and then forward us to the law school, all that time lost is not counted in when we go complete, so I applied really early, and have a completion date in late Dec... C'mon IU!!! Accept me already!

Neil

Postby Neil » Fri Feb 12, 2010 5:15 pm

Small envelope for me. Waitlisted. :cry:

Will be withdrawing. At least this helps me narrow down my options...

Good luck to the rest of you!

badwithpseudonyms

Postby badwithpseudonyms » Fri Feb 12, 2010 7:39 pm

Neil wrote:Small envelope for me. Waitlisted. :cry:

Sorry to hear that. You've got a nice scholarship at UIUC, which many people on TLS would prefer anyway. And in at WUSTL too. So you'll still be good! 8)

letsdoit1982

Postby letsdoit1982 » Fri Feb 12, 2010 7:56 pm

It seems like Illinois has increased it's standards also. If you look at LSN, 165 is no longer a sure thing.

Neil

Postby Neil » Sat Feb 13, 2010 1:42 am

badwithpseudonyms wrote:

Sorry to hear that. You've got a nice scholarship at UIUC, which many people on TLS would prefer anyway. And in at WUSTL too. So you'll still be good! 8)

Thanks, man. I definitely feel lucky to have gotten a good deal of good news before the bad news started coming in! I've heard some great things about Bloomington, but it probably still would have taken a pretty solid financial aid package from another school in the cold Midwest to pull me away from my family in Minnesota.

Good luck with your cycle!

superflush

Postby superflush » Sat Feb 13, 2010 4:39 am

:shock:

DexMorgan3

Postby DexMorgan3 » Sun Feb 14, 2010 2:56 pm

For those of us who interviewed, I spoke with admissions on Friday 2/12 and they said our decisions should be coming any day now. I'm hoping that means Monday or Tuesday!

roguey

Postby roguey » Sun Feb 14, 2010 3:01 pm

Hmm... I wonder how they choose who to interview.

DexMorgan3

Postby DexMorgan3 » Sun Feb 14, 2010 3:06 pm

DexMorgan3 wrote:For those of us who interviewed, I spoke with admissions on Friday 2/12 and they said our decisions should be coming any day now. I'm hoping that means Monday or Tuesday!

not Monday b/c of Presidents Day. So hopefully Tuesday!

RMstratosphere

Postby RMstratosphere » Mon Feb 15, 2010 12:39 am

Has anyone gotten further info about Spring Law Day? I'm getting anxious to book flight tickets, hotel rooms, etc.

Vincent Vega

Postby Vincent Vega » Mon Feb 15, 2010 12:42 am

RMstratosphere wrote:Has anyone gotten further info about Spring Law Day? I'm getting anxious to book flight tickets, hotel rooms, etc.

I haven't. I'd like to get this stuff together soon as well.

RMstratosphere

Postby RMstratosphere » Mon Feb 15, 2010 1:01 am

Halibut6 wrote:
RMstratosphere wrote:Has anyone gotten further info about Spring Law Day? I'm getting anxious to book flight tickets, hotel rooms, etc.

I emailed admissions last Tuesday asking for either (1) new info or (2) reassurance that new info was forthcoming. Still have yet to hear back. Sigh.

RMstratosphere

Postby RMstratosphere » Mon Feb 15, 2010 4:09 pm

RMstratosphere wrote:
Halibut6 wrote:

I emailed admissions last Tuesday asking for either (1) new info or (2) reassurance that new info was forthcoming. Still have yet to hear back. Sigh.

Email returned today. No new information. Told to expect something "in late February".

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”