In at IU-Bloomington!!!!

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
User avatar
traehekat
Posts: 3195
Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 4:00 pm

Re: In at IU-Bloomington!!!!

Postby traehekat » Wed Feb 10, 2010 9:14 pm

daagermy1 wrote:WL. Already in at Illinois w/$$ and on "select" preferred WL at Georgetown.

Thanks, IU, for the 11-week wait for nothing.

Withdrawing.


Wow, that is surprising! In at UIUC w/ money and WL at IU. Do you mind sharing your numbers, either on here or PM?

User avatar
Vincent Vega
Posts: 1182
Joined: Mon Oct 26, 2009 11:36 pm

Re: In at IU-Bloomington!!!!

Postby Vincent Vega » Wed Feb 10, 2010 9:15 pm

daagermy1 wrote:WL. Already in at Illinois w/$$ and on "select" preferred WL at Georgetown.

Thanks, IU, for the 11-week wait for nothing.

Withdrawing.


Interesting - 166/3.6 getting WLed. Maybe IU really is tightening up this year.

User avatar
daagermy1
Posts: 84
Joined: Wed Feb 10, 2010 9:00 pm

Re: In at IU-Bloomington!!!!

Postby daagermy1 » Wed Feb 10, 2010 9:17 pm

traehekat wrote:
daagermy1 wrote:WL. Already in at Illinois w/$$ and on "select" preferred WL at Georgetown.

Thanks, IU, for the 11-week wait for nothing.

Withdrawing.


Wow, that is surprising! In at UIUC w/ money and WL at IU. Do you mind sharing your numbers, either on here or PM?


166/3.67 with legal WE. Not ideal, but well within reason.

User avatar
MBZags
Posts: 552
Joined: Mon Feb 09, 2009 5:21 pm

Re: In at IU-Bloomington!!!!

Postby MBZags » Wed Feb 10, 2010 9:53 pm

daagermy1 wrote:WL. Already in at Illinois w/$$ and on "select" preferred WL at Georgetown.

Thanks, IU, for the 11-week wait for nothing.

Withdrawing.


Well, that sucks and also makes me nervous.

User avatar
daagermy1
Posts: 84
Joined: Wed Feb 10, 2010 9:00 pm

Re: In at IU-Bloomington!!!!

Postby daagermy1 » Wed Feb 10, 2010 9:56 pm

MBZags wrote:
daagermy1 wrote:WL. Already in at Illinois w/$$ and on "select" preferred WL at Georgetown.

Thanks, IU, for the 11-week wait for nothing.

Withdrawing.


Well, that sucks and also makes me nervous.


Sorry, didn't intend to make anyone nervous. Just venting.

User avatar
Vincent Vega
Posts: 1182
Joined: Mon Oct 26, 2009 11:36 pm

Re: In at IU-Bloomington!!!!

Postby Vincent Vega » Wed Feb 10, 2010 10:16 pm

It's no consolation to daagermy, but there have been numerous examples on here where people who had numbers that what would have been considered locks for admission in previous years have been WLed this year. Those numbers should still have been good enough this year, though.... I don't know.

User avatar
Vincent Vega
Posts: 1182
Joined: Mon Oct 26, 2009 11:36 pm

Re: In at IU-Bloomington!!!!

Postby Vincent Vega » Wed Feb 10, 2010 10:20 pm

daagermy1 wrote:
MBZags wrote:
daagermy1 wrote:WL. Already in at Illinois w/$$ and on "select" preferred WL at Georgetown.

Thanks, IU, for the 11-week wait for nothing.

Withdrawing.


Well, that sucks and also makes me nervous.


Sorry, didn't intend to make anyone nervous. Just venting.


Let's vent.

Image

charlesjd
Posts: 362
Joined: Mon Jul 13, 2009 10:28 am

Re: In at IU-Bloomington!!!!

Postby charlesjd » Wed Feb 10, 2010 10:26 pm

I really think its yield protection. Someone with a 156-164 is much more likely to go to IU than someone with a 165+. 165+ can go to UIUC, Minn, possibly WashU, Emory, BU, etc as he got into UIUC with cash money.

User avatar
daagermy1
Posts: 84
Joined: Wed Feb 10, 2010 9:00 pm

Re: In at IU-Bloomington!!!!

Postby daagermy1 » Wed Feb 10, 2010 10:28 pm

Halibut6 wrote:
daagermy1 wrote:
MBZags wrote:
daagermy1 wrote:WL. Already in at Illinois w/$$ and on "select" preferred WL at Georgetown.

Thanks, IU, for the 11-week wait for nothing.

Withdrawing.


Well, that sucks and also makes me nervous.


Sorry, didn't intend to make anyone nervous. Just venting.


Let's vent.

Image


LOL! Actually makes me feel a lot better. Thx.

User avatar
Vincent Vega
Posts: 1182
Joined: Mon Oct 26, 2009 11:36 pm

Re: In at IU-Bloomington!!!!

Postby Vincent Vega » Wed Feb 10, 2010 10:29 pm

I wouldn't say it's under Indiana to practice YP, but looking at LSN charts over the past few years, there is really no evidence to suggest that they ever do it.

User avatar
daagermy1
Posts: 84
Joined: Wed Feb 10, 2010 9:00 pm

Re: In at IU-Bloomington!!!!

Postby daagermy1 » Wed Feb 10, 2010 10:30 pm

charlesjd wrote:I really think its yield protection. Someone with a 156-164 is much more likely to go to IU than someone with a 165+. 165+ can go to UIUC, Minn, possibly WashU, Emory, BU, etc as he got into UIUC with cash money.


Fair point. But they're ranked right there with UIUC. Guess they figured I'd go elsewhere. Visited Bloomington and really liked the campus.

Shame.

User avatar
TWoodWil
Posts: 205
Joined: Wed Dec 09, 2009 2:19 am

Re: In at IU-Bloomington!!!!

Postby TWoodWil » Wed Feb 10, 2010 10:33 pm

Halibut6 wrote:I wouldn't say it's under Indiana to practice YP, but looking at LSN charts over the past few years, there is really no evidence to suggest that they ever do it.


Earlier post shows that Indiana does not YP.

User avatar
ndirish2010
Posts: 2950
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2009 4:41 pm

Re: In at IU-Bloomington!!!!

Postby ndirish2010 » Wed Feb 10, 2010 10:34 pm

daagermy1 wrote:
charlesjd wrote:I really think its yield protection. Someone with a 156-164 is much more likely to go to IU than someone with a 165+. 165+ can go to UIUC, Minn, possibly WashU, Emory, BU, etc as he got into UIUC with cash money.


Fair point. But they're ranked right there with UIUC. Guess they figured I'd go elsewhere. Visited Bloomington and really liked the campus.

Shame.


This year....last year they were 35th.

charlesjd
Posts: 362
Joined: Mon Jul 13, 2009 10:28 am

Re: In at IU-Bloomington!!!!

Postby charlesjd » Wed Feb 10, 2010 10:36 pm

daagermy1 wrote:
charlesjd wrote:I really think its yield protection. Someone with a 156-164 is much more likely to go to IU than someone with a 165+. 165+ can go to UIUC, Minn, possibly WashU, Emory, BU, etc as he got into UIUC with cash money.


Fair point. But they're ranked right there with UIUC. Guess they figured I'd go elsewhere. Visited Bloomington and really liked the campus.

Shame.


According to many, especially here on TLS, sheer anomaly. UIUC has always been in the top 25 since the law schools were ranked to that spot. UIUC is a solid program that is likely to continue to rise. I do not know if that can be said about IU because for the 2008 rankings, they were in the 30s or 40s, and the consensus is it that it is going to drop back to the 30's. Apparently they tweaked something in their admissions that gave them a boost, maybe their library, can't remember.

From what I have seen here, TLS would tell you UIUC all day, especially with the money.

User avatar
Vincent Vega
Posts: 1182
Joined: Mon Oct 26, 2009 11:36 pm

Re: In at IU-Bloomington!!!!

Postby Vincent Vega » Wed Feb 10, 2010 10:45 pm

charlesjd wrote:From what I have seen here, TLS would tell you UIUC all day, especially with the money.


Definitely. I love IU and Bloomington and everything, but I too would take money at Illinois over the prospect of paying sticker at IU. ITE that just isn't the right move, even if you want to practice in Indianapolis.

letsdoit1982
Posts: 151
Joined: Thu Jan 28, 2010 11:59 pm

Re: In at IU-Bloomington!!!!

Postby letsdoit1982 » Wed Feb 10, 2010 10:49 pm

I think the economy has just screwed all of us over. Schools are getting so many damn applicants, which has made this cycle ridiculously competitive.

User avatar
danquayle
Posts: 1108
Joined: Tue Dec 09, 2008 2:12 am

Re: In at IU-Bloomington!!!!

Postby danquayle » Wed Feb 10, 2010 10:57 pm

They're applications skyrocketed this year. Perhaps they're waitlisting people they'll likely admit eventually merely because they admitted too many already early on in the process. This year more than any other I've encountered, timing matters.

Keep in mind, being waitlisted doesn't mean you won't be getting money. I know plenty of people who were waitlisted and then accepted with cash.

User avatar
reasonabledoubt
Posts: 516
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2010 3:24 pm

Re: In at IU-Bloomington!!!!

Postby reasonabledoubt » Wed Feb 10, 2010 10:57 pm

letsdoit1982 wrote:I think the economy has just screwed all of us over. Schools are getting so many damn applicants, which has made this cycle ridiculously competitive.


Because of this I'm thinking of starting a law school myself.... well, more of a law school preparatory academy.

I'm going to charge $1000 a head for a one month intenstive. The class sizes will be 20 people and I'm the instructor so it's a pretty good student/faculty ratio.

I'm going to just sneak into University of Chicago Law classes (don't worry i'll wear an ugly mask so I'll fit right in) with a recorder and tape all the lectures/classes. Then, I'll replay it for my students. It'll give a T14 experience for only $1000 and will really let students know what to expect.

This way I will make 20k/month until next fall.....

charlesjd
Posts: 362
Joined: Mon Jul 13, 2009 10:28 am

Re: In at IU-Bloomington!!!!

Postby charlesjd » Wed Feb 10, 2010 11:08 pm

letsdoit1982 wrote:I think the economy has just screwed all of us over. Schools are getting so many damn applicants, which has made this cycle ridiculously competitive.


I have heard numerous times that law schools are obvious aware of this, and want applicants who really want to study law, another reason why people with what might be stellar numbers and WE are being WL or rejected. Adcoms are smart enough to tell when someone is applying because they lost their job or for the hell of it. However for those right out of undergrad, a few years out, with an obvious resume geared towards a career in law, you have a better chance at admission in SOME instances.

charlesjd
Posts: 362
Joined: Mon Jul 13, 2009 10:28 am

Re: In at IU-Bloomington!!!!

Postby charlesjd » Wed Feb 10, 2010 11:11 pm

BTW, how many people here interviewed and were accepted?

letsdoit1982
Posts: 151
Joined: Thu Jan 28, 2010 11:59 pm

Re: In at IU-Bloomington!!!!

Postby letsdoit1982 » Wed Feb 10, 2010 11:18 pm

charlesjd wrote:
letsdoit1982 wrote:I think the economy has just screwed all of us over. Schools are getting so many damn applicants, which has made this cycle ridiculously competitive.


I have heard numerous times that law schools are obvious aware of this, and want applicants who really want to study law, another reason why people with what might be stellar numbers and WE are being WL or rejected. Adcoms are smart enough to tell when someone is applying because they lost their job or for the hell of it. However for those right out of undergrad, a few years out, with an obvious resume geared towards a career in law, you have a better chance at admission in SOME instances.


I disagree. In general, I think law schools do not know if you're legitimately interested in law. Even if they could, I don't think they would even really care - All they care about is boosting the prestige of their school. This is why law school is such a numbers game. If they actually cared about what the applicant's character and motives were, you would see people getting in to law school with numbers way below the school's medians. As it stands, you don't see this. Someone with low grades, a stellar LSAT, and who is clearly just trying to avoid the economy is going to get admitted over someone who has worked really hard the past 4 years and has shown serious interest in the law but has a mediocre LSAT.

User avatar
badwithpseudonyms
Posts: 815
Joined: Wed Apr 15, 2009 12:48 pm

Re: In at IU-Bloomington!!!!

Postby badwithpseudonyms » Wed Feb 10, 2010 11:21 pm

charlesjd wrote:According to many, especially here on TLS, sheer anomaly. UIUC has always been in the top 25 since the law schools were ranked to that spot. UIUC is a solid program that is likely to continue to rise. I do not know if that can be said about IU because for the 2008 rankings, they were in the 30s or 40s, and the consensus is it that it is going to drop back to the 30's. Apparently they tweaked something in their admissions that gave them a boost, maybe their library, can't remember.

From what I have seen here, TLS would tell you UIUC all day, especially with the money.


They actually haven't always been ranked 25 or better and I wouldn't say that UIUC is likely to rise, though I agree if Chicago or Illinois at large is daagermy's target market, then he'd be well advised to choose UIUC w/ $$ over IU anyway. But back to the rise/fall thing: I don't claim to be a USNWR expert, but they are ranked as high as they've been at any point in the last decade and I doubt they're going to break into the teens, as those schools tend to be much more stable than those in the 20-30 range. IU will have to go out of its way to hold its newfound rank, and though I'm not sure what this year's rankings will look like, I would think they may have an easier time doing so because their 25th/75th LSAT are lower than the other schools around them (Iowa aside). And - at least this cycle - it seems they are taking the WUSTL approach and throwing money around like John Daly at a combination Casino/Golden Corral Buffet. I can see no-strings full scholarships working ITE. (Full disclosure: It is working in my case, though I'm not 100% sold yet) I don't think anyone on here has any real clue what the rankings will look like outside of the very general groups (i.e. T14, Vandy-USC, 20-30, so on and so forth)

source: http://www.prelawhandbook.com/law_schoo ... 00_present

charlesjd
Posts: 362
Joined: Mon Jul 13, 2009 10:28 am

Re: In at IU-Bloomington!!!!

Postby charlesjd » Wed Feb 10, 2010 11:36 pm

letsdoit1982 wrote:
charlesjd wrote:
letsdoit1982 wrote:I think the economy has just screwed all of us over. Schools are getting so many damn applicants, which has made this cycle ridiculously competitive.


I have heard numerous times that law schools are obvious aware of this, and want applicants who really want to study law, another reason why people with what might be stellar numbers and WE are being WL or rejected. Adcoms are smart enough to tell when someone is applying because they lost their job or for the hell of it. However for those right out of undergrad, a few years out, with an obvious resume geared towards a career in law, you have a better chance at admission in SOME instances.


I disagree. In general, I think law schools do not know if you're legitimately interested in law. Even if they could, I don't think they would even really care - All they care about is boosting the prestige of their school. This is why law school is such a numbers game. If they actually cared about what the applicant's character and motives were, you would see people getting in to law school with numbers way below the school's medians. As it stands, you don't see this. Someone with low grades, a stellar LSAT, and who is clearly just trying to avoid the economy is going to get admitted over someone who has worked really hard the past 4 years and has shown serious interest in the law but has a mediocre LSAT.


I understand this and agree 100%, but that is what I heard.

User avatar
roguey
Posts: 291
Joined: Fri Oct 16, 2009 8:45 am

Re: In at IU-Bloomington!!!!

Postby roguey » Wed Feb 10, 2010 11:42 pm

letsdoit1982 wrote:
charlesjd wrote:
letsdoit1982 wrote:I think the economy has just screwed all of us over. Schools are getting so many damn applicants, which has made this cycle ridiculously competitive.


I have heard numerous times that law schools are obvious aware of this, and want applicants who really want to study law, another reason why people with what might be stellar numbers and WE are being WL or rejected. Adcoms are smart enough to tell when someone is applying because they lost their job or for the hell of it. However for those right out of undergrad, a few years out, with an obvious resume geared towards a career in law, you have a better chance at admission in SOME instances.


I disagree. In general, I think law schools do not know if you're legitimately interested in law. Even if they could, I don't think they would even really care - All they care about is boosting the prestige of their school. This is why law school is such a numbers game. If they actually cared about what the applicant's character and motives were, you would see people getting in to law school with numbers way below the school's medians. As it stands, you don't see this. Someone with low grades, a stellar LSAT, and who is clearly just trying to avoid the economy is going to get admitted over someone who has worked really hard the past 4 years and has shown serious interest in the law but has a mediocre LSAT.


I dunno. I tend to agree with the idea about those who have an interest in law being the ones admitted vs those going back to school because of the economy. I am saying this from the experience I've had thus far. I always wanted to go to law school but got into an abusive marriage where I wasn't allowed to. Once I ran away, I found a job at a law office and realized just how much I wanted to study law. I'm fully employed as a paralegal, and I make more than I did as a high school teacher. I think the difference between me and some of the other people on here with considerable work experience is I decided to change careers after I'd already changed careers, and I'm still employed with LORs from my former principals and my current boss. Then my PS talked about how I've wanted to go to law school since I was a geeky 10 year old. Adcoms can probably tell based upon resumes, LORs, and PSes whether a person is going to law school to hide from the recession or if it is a genuine career change motivated by an event other than possibly losing one's job. I could be wrong. I'm kinda tired.

User avatar
daagermy1
Posts: 84
Joined: Wed Feb 10, 2010 9:00 pm

Re: In at IU-Bloomington!!!!

Postby daagermy1 » Wed Feb 10, 2010 11:45 pm

badwithpseudonyms wrote:
charlesjd wrote:According to many, especially here on TLS, sheer anomaly. UIUC has always been in the top 25 since the law schools were ranked to that spot. UIUC is a solid program that is likely to continue to rise. I do not know if that can be said about IU because for the 2008 rankings, they were in the 30s or 40s, and the consensus is it that it is going to drop back to the 30's. Apparently they tweaked something in their admissions that gave them a boost, maybe their library, can't remember.

From what I have seen here, TLS would tell you UIUC all day, especially with the money.


They actually haven't always been ranked 25 or better and I wouldn't say that UIUC is likely to rise, though I agree if Chicago or Illinois at large is daagermy's target market, then he'd be well advised to choose UIUC w/ $$ over IU anyway. But back to the rise/fall thing: I don't claim to be a USNWR expert, but they are ranked as high as they've been at any point in the last decade and I doubt they're going to break into the teens, as those schools tend to be much more stable than those in the 20-30 range. IU will have to go out of its way to hold its newfound rank, and though I'm not sure what this year's rankings will look like, I would think they may have an easier time doing so because their 25th/75th LSAT are lower than the other schools around them (Iowa aside). And - at least this cycle - it seems they are taking the WUSTL approach and throwing money around like John Daly at a combination Casino/Golden Corral Buffet. I can see no-strings full scholarships working ITE. (Full disclosure: It is working in my case, though I'm not 100% sold yet) I don't think anyone on here has any real clue what the rankings will look like outside of the very general groups (i.e. T14, Vandy-USC, 20-30, so on and so forth)

source: http://www.prelawhandbook.com/law_schoo ... 00_present


Very helpful all around. Thanks everyone!




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: amberb94, ashrice13, Jgats, liuwenyu, mudiverse, okf731, potterotter, Rio123 and 16 guests