In at IU-Bloomington!!!!

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
jameschae

Re: In at IU-Bloomington!!!!

Postby jameschae » Sat Feb 06, 2010 5:49 am

deleted

DexMorgan3

Postby DexMorgan3 » Sat Feb 06, 2010 1:32 pm

Anyone who interviewed last weekend hear anything yet?

lawhawk

Postby lawhawk » Sat Feb 06, 2010 4:11 pm

Baylan wrote:As the sole blip in the 164 acceptance line on LSN, I felt a need to go over my app and see if I made an egregious mistake that would've barred me from admission. For TLS's sake... and my own, haha.

I did. I may've committed a variation of the one sin we're always told not to do in an application - I spelled Maurer wrong. I left out the first r (spelled it Mauer).

So worry not, 164s. You should all still be fine.

As for me? I'm most likely going to end up withdrawing from this cycle and retaking in June, as I'm fairly unhappy with how things turned out. I felt last June that I left a few questions on the LSAT (I got a -0 on the Mauve Dinosaurs, and only had a -5 RC... which meant -14 combined LR). I'm setting my sights quite a bit higher with a new study plan (170+... Here I come!) and will hopefully be reapplying next fall with a significantly upgraded application.

I wish you all the best, and hope those you sweating out acceptances know/remember... the 164 line is still safe (as far as we know!).

I really don't think this is so bad. There must have been something else. Regardless, good luck next year.

letsdoit1982

Postby letsdoit1982 » Sat Feb 06, 2010 6:30 pm

lawhawk wrote:
Baylan wrote:As the sole blip in the 164 acceptance line on LSN, I felt a need to go over my app and see if I made an egregious mistake that would've barred me from admission. For TLS's sake... and my own, haha.

I did. I may've committed a variation of the one sin we're always told not to do in an application - I spelled Maurer wrong. I left out the first r (spelled it Mauer).

As for me? I'm most likely going to end up withdrawing from this cycle and retaking in June, as I'm fairly unhappy with how things turned out. I felt last June that I left a few questions on the LSAT (I got a -0 on the Mauve Dinosaurs, and only had a -5 RC... which meant -14 combined LR). I'm setting my sights quite a bit higher with a new study plan (170+... Here I come!) and will hopefully be reapplying next fall with a significantly upgraded application.

I wish you all the best, and hope those you sweating out acceptances know/remember... the 164 line is still safe (as far as we know!).

I really don't think this is so bad. There must have been something else. Regardless, good luck next year.

+1

I would be very surprised if they rejected you based on this minor oversight. Maybe there was an issue with your personal statement or LORs.

danquayle

Postby danquayle » Sat Feb 06, 2010 6:40 pm

Halibut6 wrote:IU cares a lot about UG GPA. They kind of use a good LSAT score as a prerequisite, but it's still really hard to get into without a good GPA. In other words, IU is not very splitter friendly. For instance, in regards to scholarships, someone with a 164/4.0 is almost a lock for a full scholarship, while a 170/2.9 is borderline for admission and is unlikely to get a scholarship at all, despite the rockstar LSAT.

This was definitely not the case for the years I was there. I was a splitter with a low GPA and a high LSAT and got a scholarship, whereas I knew many people with slighter lower LSATs and MUCH higher GPAs that got nothing...

I think they just try to search out whatever they think they need to make their overall student body impressive statistically. Most years this means higher LSATs, since higher LSATs are harder to come by. If they're favoring higher GPAs this year, it must mean that they have already received many high LSAT applications, not that they are intrinsically high GPA favoring.

Because I know for an absolutely fact thats not true, and indeed its traditionally been the opposite for many years. IUB was always very splitter friendly with regards to both admissions and scholarships.

danquayle

Postby danquayle » Sat Feb 06, 2010 6:51 pm

shawty18ga wrote:Got the WL letter from IU today. 163/4.0 OOS. Wouldn't have gone anyway. IU seems terribly overrated.

Then I'm glad they preempted your dilemma by not admitting you.

floppymex

Postby floppymex » Sat Feb 06, 2010 7:01 pm

In, w/in-state. Very, very, excited.

danquayle

Postby danquayle » Sat Feb 06, 2010 9:42 pm

floppymex wrote:In, w/in-state. Very, very, excited.

Wow, nice LSAT. Congrats.

Baylan

Postby Baylan » Sun Feb 07, 2010 2:04 am

lawhawk wrote:

The reason I think this is the issue is the (A) clear line at 164 that has one single yellow blip on it. (B) My acceptances/waitlists have been in line with what should/would be expected on all my other applications with my numbers. I know my PS/Resume wasn't world beating or particularly unique, but my LoRs were definitely acceptable, and my PS was at the very least not detrimental to my application.

My admit line reads:
MSU - 3/4 scholly and full ride for the first year
Wayne State - 3/4 scholly
Loyola/DePaul/Chicago-Kent - 20k a year
OSU/Iowa - No Scholly info yet (not expecting any)

Waitlist at Wisconsin
Waitlist at IU

Rejection at UofI/ND, and I'm expecting one from WUSTL.

Everything is in line with my numbers - except IU, and I spelled the name of the law school wrong. I even visited IU in the fall, so unless my speeding ticket on the way down to Bloomington dinged me, my assumption is that my PS and the misspelling of Maurer is what dinged me.

superflush

Postby superflush » Sun Feb 07, 2010 4:40 am

Baylan wrote:Everything is in line with my numbers - except IU, and I spelled the name of the law school wrong. I even visited IU in the fall, so unless my speeding ticket on the way down to Bloomington dinged me, my assumption is that my PS and the misspelling of Maurer is what dinged me.

You should make sure you spell it right on a LOCI.

FunkyJD

Postby FunkyJD » Sun Feb 07, 2010 11:25 am

Baylan wrote:I know my PS/Resume wasn't world beating or particularly unique, but my LoRs were definitely acceptable, and my PS was at the very least not detrimental to my application. ... my assumption is that my PS and the misspelling of Maurer is what dinged me.

Mistake every time to dash off a perfunctory or poorly edited PS to a school. Demonstrates lack of attention to detail, and conveys disinterest. Leaving that impression will take points off of your numbers, so to speak.

If you still favor IU, spend some time on a thoughtful and well-written and edited LOCI. Maybe that'll do the trick. Spend as much time on it as you'd spend on an important quiz or problem set for school. If you find a misspelling or a grammatical mistake, make yourself re-read the entire thing over again. And get some extra eyes to read it.

Good luck.

Baylan

Postby Baylan » Mon Feb 08, 2010 2:11 am

FunkyJD wrote:
Baylan wrote:I know my PS/Resume wasn't world beating or particularly unique, but my LoRs were definitely acceptable, and my PS was at the very least not detrimental to my application. ... my assumption is that my PS and the misspelling of Maurer is what dinged me.

Mistake every time to dash off a perfunctory or poorly edited PS to a school. Demonstrates lack of attention to detail, and conveys disinterest. Leaving that impression will take points off of your numbers, so to speak.

If you still favor IU, spend some time on a thoughtful and well-written and edited LOCI. Maybe that'll do the trick. Spend as much time on it as you'd spend on an important quiz or problem set for school. If you find a misspelling or a grammatical mistake, make yourself re-read the entire thing over again. And get some extra eyes to read it.

Good luck.

Thanks for the advice - though I've already said in an earlier post in this thread that I am currently planning on taking the year off, retaking the LSAT, and trying my luck again next cycle. I said in my earlier post that I realize that I made the fundamental mistake that we all say we won't make - and am merely trying to serve as an example (and a hope) for applicants to IU-B that the blip on 164 was an egregious mistake made by a foolish applicant.

I haven't formally withdrawn from any school yet, but will likely do so this week from all of my accepted/waitlisted schools.

Eazy E

Postby Eazy E » Mon Feb 08, 2010 12:10 pm

In with full-ride. But I'll probably be withdrawing, so that spot and scholly money may be free for all ya'll

reasonabledoubt

Postby reasonabledoubt » Mon Feb 08, 2010 1:55 pm

How long after you recieved this email did you all get your answers?

"Your application for admission is now complete. Your application will take 6 to 8 weeks to process and you will be contacted with a decision at that time. If you have any questions or need additional information, please do not hesitate to contact us!

Thank you"

I hope it doesn't take the full 6 to 8.

Veritas

Postby Veritas » Mon Feb 08, 2010 1:59 pm

reasonabledoubt wrote:How long after you recieved this email did you all get your answers?

"Your application for admission is now complete. Your application will take 6 to 8 weeks to process and you will be contacted with a decision at that time. If you have any questions or need additional information, please do not hesitate to contact us!

Thank you"

I hope it doesn't take the full 6 to 8.

mine took about 7 weeks

iheartucla

Postby iheartucla » Mon Feb 08, 2010 2:01 pm

in with full out of state

going to have to at least visit........but they have winter :cry:

DexMorgan3

Postby DexMorgan3 » Tue Feb 09, 2010 3:31 pm

Anyone who interviewed at the end of January hear anything yet?!?

I'm dying to find out.

reasonabledoubt

Postby reasonabledoubt » Tue Feb 09, 2010 3:34 pm

DexMorgan3 wrote:Anyone who interviewed at the end of January hear anything yet?!?

I'm dying to find out.

Have you gotten that 6-8 week, app complete email yet? If so, I hear it takes almost that full span of time....

JayCole

Postby JayCole » Tue Feb 09, 2010 3:35 pm

DexMorgan3 wrote:Anyone who interviewed at the end of January hear anything yet?!?

I'm dying to find out.

+1

I was interviewed in Chicago but haven't heard a peep since.

DexMorgan3

Postby DexMorgan3 » Tue Feb 09, 2010 3:47 pm

reasonabledoubt wrote:

I'm dying to find out.

Have you gotten that 6-8 week, app complete email yet? If so, I hear it takes almost that full span of time....

My app went complete on 11/9. Invited for an interview beginning of January.

robin600

Postby robin600 » Tue Feb 09, 2010 3:52 pm

I haven't heard a peep from them since I applied in november, hmmmm...... I will probably be withdrawing anyways, I like Iowa better.

scionb4

Postby scionb4 » Tue Feb 09, 2010 9:27 pm

I am so jealous of all of you. :( Sooooo, soooooo, jealous. :cry: Why . . . :cry: can't . . . :cry: they . . . just give me . . . :cry: an answer . . . :cry: whaaaaaaaaaa!!!!

jaskat

Postby jaskat » Tue Feb 09, 2010 9:35 pm

scionb4 wrote:I am so jealous of all of you. :( Sooooo, soooooo, jealous. :cry: Why . . . :cry: can't . . . :cry: they . . . just give me . . . :cry: an answer . . . :cry: whaaaaaaaaaa!!!!

+1

MoS

Postby MoS » Tue Feb 09, 2010 10:52 pm

Go the package today. In with 45k

daagermy1

Postby daagermy1 » Wed Feb 10, 2010 9:10 pm

WL. Already in at Illinois w/$$ and on "select" preferred WL at Georgetown.

Thanks, IU, for the 11-week wait for nothing.

Withdrawing.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”