In at IU-Bloomington!!!!

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Veritas

Re: In at IU-Bloomington!!!!

Postby Veritas » Mon Feb 01, 2010 11:10 pm

brose002 wrote:
Veritas wrote:
brose002 wrote:I was waitlisted as well today. Definitely was not expecting a Wl. I am 168/3.00. I promptly withdrew due to some more lucrative schools

:shock: I missed this! Damn...

and ND news?

No, nothing. Im really hoping I will find out this week. You?

I'm right with you, man....I bet we find out the same time.

nyskidude

Postby nyskidude » Mon Feb 01, 2010 11:12 pm

Veritas wrote:
nyskidude wrote:
You Gotta Have Faith wrote:
nyskidude wrote:I was waitlisted today as well... My LSAT score wasn't as great, but I had a great GPA (163/3.84). Didn't think I would be a waitlist...

Send them a good LOCI if you truly want in. I think they want to be sure you're actually interested, and they know that you will likely have other competitive options with those numbers. Trust me... they're one of the schools I got into last year. And I talked to them about this. They in fact seem to not like it when people apply "just because", etc. If you let them know you want to be there... they'll let you in. If they do say yes, be sure to ask for a little bit of money too :)

Honestly, I would need money to go to UIB. I have been given money at Illinois and have been accepted at GWU. I want to go into Intellectual Property, so I would probably take sticker GW over 1/2 at UIB.

are you thinking about GW at sticker?

I love GW but I'm scared of sticker.....

I want to work on the east coast (fiancee's family is all over here), I want to go into IP... It almost seems like unless I pull off the unexpected and get into a Berkeley or a Stanford, then GW would be my best option... I'm visiting them over President's Day break, so I'm hoping they convince me one way or another... Or they can just give me some money and make it real REAL easy haha.

brose002

Postby brose002 » Mon Feb 01, 2010 11:12 pm

Veritas wrote:
brose002 wrote:
Veritas wrote:
brose002 wrote:I was waitlisted as well today. Definitely was not expecting a Wl. I am 168/3.00. I promptly withdrew due to some more lucrative schools

:shock: I missed this! Damn...

and ND news?

No, nothing. Im really hoping I will find out this week. You?

I'm right with you, man....I bet we find out the same time.

That's what I'm guessing as well. Im thinking that they are sorting through the last of the ED applicants, and then will have a massive wave of decisions. Im thinking Friday.

Veritas

Postby Veritas » Mon Feb 01, 2010 11:20 pm

nyskidude wrote:
I want to work on the east coast (fiancee's family is all over here), I want to go into IP... It almost seems like unless I pull off the unexpected and get into a Berkeley or a Stanford, then GW would be my best option... I'm visiting them over President's Day break, so I'm hoping they convince me one way or another... Or they can just give me some money and make it real REAL easy haha.

Money would definitely make a difference, I guess I just have to wait and see.
brose002 wrote:

That's what I'm guessing as well. Im thinking that they are sorting through the last of the ED applicants, and then will have a massive wave of decisions. Im thinking Friday.

I'm holding you to it!!!!!

You Gotta Have Faith

Postby You Gotta Have Faith » Mon Feb 01, 2010 11:21 pm

vanstone22 wrote:
lawhawk wrote:For IUB 164+ = auto admit. 163 or less = not admit.

At least according to LSN

Or maybe they admit all of their qualified applicants who are 164+ while they are rejecting/wl the obvious r/wl applicants and then sorting through for a huge pile of accepts for 163 and less.

They make sure their LSAT median is 164 for USNWR reasons. But they do actually accept numbers substantially lower than that; you'll want a pretty good GPA to be in that "lower LSAT" category though.

nyskidude wrote:Honestly, I would need money to go to UIB. I have been given money at Illinois and have been accepted at GWU. I want to go into Intellectual Property, so I would probably take sticker GW over 1/2 at UIB.

Oh, you'd get money at IU-B. I don't know about a half ride or not. But you should get something pretty decent. I got something, and my LSAT was more than a point or two lower than yours (no, not a URM). I'm assuming your application came across holistically strong, since you're in at UIUC and GW.

By the way, ask GW nicely if they'd consider giving you any money (if you haven't already). Sometimes that works.

charlesjd

Postby charlesjd » Mon Feb 01, 2010 11:34 pm

vanstone22 wrote:

Or maybe they admit all of their qualified applicants who are 164+ while they are rejecting/wl the obvious r/wl applicants and then sorting through for a huge pile of accepts for 163 and less.

I agree with this 100%. Hence why they interview 40 borderline applicants.

scionb4

Postby scionb4 » Tue Feb 02, 2010 12:16 am

They value GPA more than LSAT score, they told me that in person at my interview.

TWoodWil

Postby TWoodWil » Tue Feb 02, 2010 12:18 am

charlesjd wrote:
vanstone22 wrote:

Official information

While we can't see the exact number of 164s applying, we can see all those with 165 and higher. 287 applicants with 165 or better, 240 of those accepted. 83% of applicants at and above their 75% LSAT get an acceptance. 1,718 applicants with scores between 150 and 164, 328 admits. I'm not going to deal with applicants and accepted below 150 as those are outliers.

240 admits with 165 or better. 83% acceptance rate
    82% @ 165-169; 89% @ 170-174; 100% @ 175-180)
328 admits with 150 to 164. 19% acceptance rate
    34% @ 160-164; 10% @ 159-154; 13% @ 150-154

My rather drawn out point? The probably of a 164 is high; most likely much closer to 165 bracket acceptance rates; but it's by no means an auto-admit. Hazarding an (educated) guess, around 20% or more all 164 applicants get dinged.

letsdoit1982

Postby letsdoit1982 » Tue Feb 02, 2010 12:20 am

scionb4 wrote:They value GPA more than LSAT score, they told me that in person at my interview.

I don't know why they would tell you that, because LSN tells a completely different story

reasonabledoubt

Postby reasonabledoubt » Tue Feb 02, 2010 12:20 am

TWoodWil wrote:
charlesjd wrote:
vanstone22 wrote:

Official information

While we can't see the exact number of 164s applying, we can see all those with 165 and higher. 287 applicants with 165 or better, 240 of those accepted. 83% of applicants at and above their 75% LSAT get an acceptance. 1,718 applicants with scores between 150 and 164, 328 admits. I'm not going to deal with applicants and accepted below 150 as those are outliers.

240 admits with 165 or better. 83% acceptance rate
    82% @ 165-169; 89% @ 170-174; 100% @ 175-180)
328 admits with 150 to 164. 19% acceptance rate
    34% @ 160-164; 10% @ 159-154; 13% @ 150-154

My rather drawn out point? The probably of a 164 is high; most likely much closer to 165 bracket acceptance rates; but it's by no means an auto-admit. Hazarding an (educated) guess, around 20% or more all 164 applicants get dinged.

You should have went for the triple semicolon! ;) Good stats though...

TWoodWil

Postby TWoodWil » Tue Feb 02, 2010 12:24 am

reasonabledoubt wrote:You should have went for the triple semicolon! ;) Good stats though...

Stats also show that Indiana most definitely does not YP, though with the number of YPable applicants being so low it's almost certainly due to self-selection on the applicants' part.

reasonabledoubt

Postby reasonabledoubt » Tue Feb 02, 2010 12:25 am

scionb4 wrote:They value GPA more than LSAT score, they told me that in person at my interview.

This information, from personal experience, including being an interview candidate, is false. May a mod strike this from the record for the good of future TLS viewers.

Vincent Vega

Postby Vincent Vega » Tue Feb 02, 2010 1:02 am

IU cares a lot about UG GPA. They kind of use a good LSAT score as a prerequisite, but it's still really hard to get into without a good GPA. In other words, IU is not very splitter friendly. For instance, in regards to scholarships, someone with a 164/4.0 is almost a lock for a full scholarship, while a 170/2.9 is borderline for admission and is unlikely to get a scholarship at all, despite the rockstar LSAT.

Veritas

Postby Veritas » Tue Feb 02, 2010 1:03 am

Halibut6 wrote:IU cares a lot about UG GPA. They kind of use a good LSAT score as a prerequisite, but it's still really hard to get into without a good GPA. In other words, IU is not very splitter friendly. For instance, in regards to scholarships, someone with a 164/4.0 is almost a lock for a full scholarship, while a 170/2.9 is borderline for admission and is unlikely to get a scholarship at all, despite the rockstar LSAT.

haha I'm excited for your visit, to hear about it and see pictures. I would love to see the library if you have a chance to snap a few shots!

Vincent Vega

Postby Vincent Vega » Tue Feb 02, 2010 1:05 am

Veritas wrote:
Halibut6 wrote:IU cares a lot about UG GPA. They kind of use a good LSAT score as a prerequisite, but it's still really hard to get into without a good GPA. In other words, IU is not very splitter friendly. For instance, in regards to scholarships, someone with a 164/4.0 is almost a lock for a full scholarship, while a 170/2.9 is borderline for admission and is unlikely to get a scholarship at all, despite the rockstar LSAT.

haha I'm excited for your visit, to hear about it and see pictures. I would love to see the library if you have a chance to snap a few shots!

Will do. Did you get the email with the link to the admitted students video? There's a place in that video where the dean is standing in the library atrium. It looks pretty sweet. It's no Michigan library, though.... :(

Veritas

Postby Veritas » Tue Feb 02, 2010 1:07 am

Halibut6 wrote:
Veritas wrote:

Will do. Did you get the email with the link to the admitted students video? There's a place in that video where the dean is standing in the library atrium. It looks pretty sweet. It's no Michigan library, though.... :(

YES I did get that email. Lots of natural light looks nice :D

I'm not sure anything can beat Hogwarts, though...

Vincent Vega

Postby Vincent Vega » Tue Feb 02, 2010 1:22 am

But really, I am definitely excited about the visit, too. It's supposed to be low 30's and snowing while I am there, which is definitely not something I'm used to, having been in the southeast for the last four years, but I hear the campus actually looks quite beautiful in the winter. I've only seen it in person in the summer, though.

traehekat

Postby traehekat » Tue Feb 02, 2010 1:47 am

Damn I want to see this video!

Veritas

Postby Veritas » Tue Feb 02, 2010 1:49 am

traehekat wrote:Damn I want to see this video!

:D --LinkRemoved--

lawhawk

Postby lawhawk » Tue Feb 02, 2010 2:18 am

letsdoit1982 wrote:

I don't know why they would tell you that, because LSN tells a completely different story

I agree. Those anecdotes are nice but.... http://indiana.lawschoolnumbers.com/sta ... Cycle=0910

Vincent Vega

Postby Vincent Vega » Tue Feb 02, 2010 2:20 am

lawhawk wrote:
letsdoit1982 wrote:

I agree. Those anecdotes are nice but.... http://indiana.lawschoolnumbers.com/sta ... Cycle=0910

It's true that it looks like a pretty definitive line right now, but I think they're sitting on a bunch of borderline applications right now. It will be a little fuzzier in the end, I think.

The 164 line will still be pretty clear, though. They really want to improve that 25th. It looks pretty bad right now.

traehekat

Postby traehekat » Tue Feb 02, 2010 2:21 am

Veritas wrote:
traehekat wrote:Damn I want to see this video!

:D --LinkRemoved--

Niceee, thanks!

Panther7

Postby Panther7 » Tue Feb 02, 2010 4:50 am

Halibut6 wrote:
lawhawk wrote:
letsdoit1982 wrote:

It's true that it looks like a pretty definitive line right now, but I think they're sitting on a bunch of borderline applications right now. It will be a little fuzzier in the end, I think.

The 164 line will still be pretty clear, though. They really want to improve that 25th. It looks pretty bad right now.

didn't get fuzzier last year.
http://indiana.lawschoolnumbers.com/sta ... Cycle=0910

BiteyTLS

Postby BiteyTLS » Tue Feb 02, 2010 1:37 pm

Veritas wrote:
nyskidude wrote:
You Gotta Have Faith wrote:
nyskidude wrote:I was waitlisted today as well... My LSAT score wasn't as great, but I had a great GPA (163/3.84). Didn't think I would be a waitlist...

Send them a good LOCI if you truly want in. I think they want to be sure you're actually interested, and they know that you will likely have other competitive options with those numbers. Trust me... they're one of the schools I got into last year. And I talked to them about this. They in fact seem to not like it when people apply "just because", etc. If you let them know you want to be there... they'll let you in. If they do say yes, be sure to ask for a little bit of money too :)

Honestly, I would need money to go to UIB. I have been given money at Illinois and have been accepted at GWU. I want to go into Intellectual Property, so I would probably take sticker GW over 1/2 at UIB.

are you thinking about GW at sticker?

I love GW but I'm scared of sticker.....

That's because you are a rational guy with a good sense of financial matters. GWU is a cool school with a couple of need practice area specialties, but there isn't a non-T10 in the world worth full-tuition. Especially one like GWU, a T35 with 43K tuition and 20-25k in living expenses. You are looking at 200k of debt (at 8.6 percent interest) for a very limited job market.

BiteyTLS

Postby BiteyTLS » Tue Feb 02, 2010 1:42 pm

didn't get fuzzier last year.
http://indiana.lawschoolnumbers.com/sta ... Cycle=0910

Does anyone know how much yield is up?

You have to wonder why IU-B is so concerned with GPAs rather than LSAT scores. It was my understanding that having high LSAT medians are the best way to increase News&Review rankings. GPAs are a dime a dozen.

Instead IU-B has become Washington of St. Louis Indiana-section for GPAs.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”