In at IU-Bloomington!!!!

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
User avatar
emkay625
Posts: 1835
Joined: Sat Dec 05, 2009 11:31 pm

Re: In at IU-Bloomington!!!!

Postby emkay625 » Thu May 06, 2010 1:54 pm

Posting for a friend:

Has anyone heard from IU in the last few days? If so, how did you hear (snail mail, e-mail, or call) and what was the decision?

User avatar
Spoonmanners
Posts: 407
Joined: Mon Oct 05, 2009 4:29 pm

Re: In at IU-Bloomington!!!!

Postby Spoonmanners » Thu May 06, 2010 1:58 pm

HungryHippo wrote:I found the admissions staff friendly and helpful. I applied in January and got the 10 days notice last week. I asked them up front whether all the spots were filled and they told me they were still accepting people. I hope I hear some good news tomorrow........


I was going to wish you good luck before I checked out your numbers. You really shouldn't need any luck.

User avatar
Jerome
Posts: 334
Joined: Wed Jan 20, 2010 3:15 pm

Re: In at IU-Bloomington!!!!

Postby Jerome » Thu May 06, 2010 4:29 pm

Cycle over - rejection today via snail mail. Meh.

primusux
Posts: 297
Joined: Wed Oct 07, 2009 3:02 pm

Re: In at IU-Bloomington!!!!

Postby primusux » Thu May 06, 2010 10:00 pm

Withdrew. Can't justify attending without any money. Don't see how anyone could being OOS.
How does IU justify that amount for OOS tuition?

User avatar
traehekat
Posts: 3195
Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 4:00 pm

Re: In at IU-Bloomington!!!!

Postby traehekat » Thu May 06, 2010 10:42 pm

primusux wrote:Withdrew. Can't justify attending without any money. Don't see how anyone could being OOS.
How does IU justify that amount for OOS tuition?


No clue, especially since I don't think you can gain residency for your second or third year.

User avatar
Spoonmanners
Posts: 407
Joined: Mon Oct 05, 2009 4:29 pm

Re: In at IU-Bloomington!!!!

Postby Spoonmanners » Thu May 06, 2010 11:01 pm

primusux wrote:Withdrew. Can't justify attending without any money. Don't see how anyone could being OOS.
How does IU justify that amount for OOS tuition?


It is inline with most schools, especially of surrounding quality. Make sure you have the most up to date numbers, as everyone seems to bump their tuition up every year. For instance, check out CA. I'm not sure you can go to law school in that state without paying $45K a year. I think they are expecting tuition to be upward of $50K next year too.

But yeah, residency sucks.

primusux
Posts: 297
Joined: Wed Oct 07, 2009 3:02 pm

Re: In at IU-Bloomington!!!!

Postby primusux » Thu May 06, 2010 11:11 pm

Spoonmanners wrote:
primusux wrote:Withdrew. Can't justify attending without any money. Don't see how anyone could being OOS.
How does IU justify that amount for OOS tuition?


It is inline with most schools, especially of surrounding quality. Make sure you have the most up to date numbers, as everyone seems to bump their tuition up every year. For instance, check out CA. I'm not sure you can go to law school in that state without paying $45K a year. I think they are expecting tuition to be upward of $50K next year too.

But yeah, residency sucks.



CA has some of the easiest residency requirements in the country though, don't they?

User avatar
Spoonmanners
Posts: 407
Joined: Mon Oct 05, 2009 4:29 pm

Re: In at IU-Bloomington!!!!

Postby Spoonmanners » Thu May 06, 2010 11:27 pm

primusux wrote:

CA has some of the easiest residency requirements in the country though, don't they?


Actually, I'm not sure. I just remember the places I was looking at were almost impossible to get residency, and IU was either very close or cheaper than others. Maybe you are looking at different places than i was, but tuition at just about all law schools will be over $40K a year.

Edit: Actually, California likely does, since Saenz v. Roe. Indiana has just not had a case...

kr18
Posts: 7
Joined: Sat May 01, 2010 9:44 pm

Re: In at IU-Bloomington!!!!

Postby kr18 » Fri May 07, 2010 11:09 am

emkay625 wrote:Posting for a friend:

Has anyone heard from IU in the last few days? If so, how did you hear (snail mail, e-mail, or call) and what was the decision?


I was accepted by email on Wednesday!

utswdukie80
Posts: 78
Joined: Fri Jan 29, 2010 10:47 am

Re: In at IU-Bloomington!!!!

Postby utswdukie80 » Fri May 07, 2010 11:20 am

Accepted via email yesterday! Very excited. If they can up their scholly offer a little more I'm in!

User avatar
HungryHippo
Posts: 52
Joined: Mon Feb 08, 2010 1:55 am

Re: In at IU-Bloomington!!!!

Postby HungryHippo » Fri May 07, 2010 8:07 pm

Spoonmanners wrote:
HungryHippo wrote:I found the admissions staff friendly and helpful. I applied in January and got the 10 days notice last week. I asked them up front whether all the spots were filled and they told me they were still accepting people. I hope I hear some good news tomorrow........


I was going to wish you good luck before I checked out your numbers. You really shouldn't need any luck.



Well the ten days has past and I still have yet to hear from Indiana..... It's sad because Indiana is my first choice (for personal reasons), and would accept regardless of scholarship money. I also have already turned down other offers from schools.

User avatar
ticklememauve
Posts: 107
Joined: Tue Dec 15, 2009 4:12 pm

Re: In at IU-Bloomington!!!!

Postby ticklememauve » Fri May 07, 2010 11:52 pm

Okay, I am facing a dilemma--any opinions/advice welcome. At the moment, I just cannot afford to take out loans to pay for school. I am hoping to defer for a year to save up. As it is now, my husband works in a town in southern Indiana and he commutes from the other side of the Ohio River. If we move to the IN side and live there for 12 months+ before classes begin in 2011 would I be eligible for in-state tuition? By my interpretation, yes. But I know they're tough at IU about these things. I plan on asking them directly but I would like to know somewhat how the conversation will go before I begin it. If I could qualify as a resident after a year, it would make school even more affordable. The deferred year would be very worthwhile. Can anyone shed any more light?

User avatar
superflush
Posts: 1305
Joined: Sun Oct 26, 2008 3:45 am

Re: In at IU-Bloomington!!!!

Postby superflush » Sat May 08, 2010 4:50 am

ticklememauve wrote:Okay, I am facing a dilemma--any opinions/advice welcome. At the moment, I just cannot afford to take out loans to pay for school. I am hoping to defer for a year to save up. As it is now, my husband works in a town in southern Indiana and he commutes from the other side of the Ohio River. If we move to the IN side and live there for 12 months+ before classes begin in 2011 would I be eligible for in-state tuition? By my interpretation, yes. But I know they're tough at IU about these things. I plan on asking them directly but I would like to know somewhat how the conversation will go before I begin it. If I could qualify as a resident after a year, it would make school even more affordable. The deferred year would be very worthwhile. Can anyone shed any more light?


I believe that is the case. I think you need to live in IN for at least 12 months and the primary reason for moving there must not be to attend school.
But definitely check up on it.

User avatar
Vincent Vega
Posts: 1182
Joined: Mon Oct 26, 2009 11:36 pm

Re: In at IU-Bloomington!!!!

Postby Vincent Vega » Sat May 08, 2010 12:17 pm

I just graduated from college less than an hour ago - now it's time for law school! Bring it on, IU! :)

User avatar
ticklememauve
Posts: 107
Joined: Tue Dec 15, 2009 4:12 pm

Re: In at IU-Bloomington!!!!

Postby ticklememauve » Sat May 08, 2010 5:26 pm

superflush wrote:
ticklememauve wrote:Okay, I am facing a dilemma--any opinions/advice welcome. At the moment, I just cannot afford to take out loans to pay for school. I am hoping to defer for a year to save up. As it is now, my husband works in a town in southern Indiana and he commutes from the other side of the Ohio River. If we move to the IN side and live there for 12 months+ before classes begin in 2011 would I be eligible for in-state tuition? By my interpretation, yes. But I know they're tough at IU about these things. I plan on asking them directly but I would like to know somewhat how the conversation will go before I begin it. If I could qualify as a resident after a year, it would make school even more affordable. The deferred year would be very worthwhile. Can anyone shed any more light?


I believe that is the case. I think you need to live in IN for at least 12 months and the primary reason for moving there must not be to attend school.
But definitely check up on it.


All right, good good. I will definitely be talking to IU to be sure. :)

Vincent Vega wrote:I just graduated from college less than an hour ago - now it's time for law school! Bring it on, IU! :)


Congrats! I just got my master's today, too. WOO!

User avatar
ChalkyTrouble
Posts: 6
Joined: Thu Apr 29, 2010 11:30 pm

Re: In at IU-Bloomington!!!!

Postby ChalkyTrouble » Thu May 13, 2010 5:34 pm

anyone hear anything recently? if so, by snail mail/email/etc.? just going a little crazy with this wait... :shock:

User avatar
traehekat
Posts: 3195
Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 4:00 pm

Re: In at IU-Bloomington!!!!

Postby traehekat » Thu May 13, 2010 5:53 pm

ChalkyTrouble wrote:anyone hear anything recently? if so, by snail mail/email/etc.? just going a little crazy with this wait... :shock:


When did you apply? Can't believe people are still waiting.

Vincent Vega wrote:I just graduated from college less than an hour ago - now it's time for law school! Bring it on, IU! :)


Congrats, man! I have my last final tomorrow morning, which upon completion I will be "college educated," and my graduation is this Sunday. I'm excited to just be done and turn my attention to law school/enjoying the summer.

User avatar
webbylu87
Posts: 659
Joined: Sun Mar 29, 2009 9:07 pm

Re: In at IU-Bloomington!!!!

Postby webbylu87 » Thu May 13, 2010 5:54 pm

Wihtdrew from the WL today. Good luck to all still waiting!

User avatar
ChalkyTrouble
Posts: 6
Joined: Thu Apr 29, 2010 11:30 pm

Re: In at IU-Bloomington!!!!

Postby ChalkyTrouble » Thu May 13, 2010 5:55 pm

went complete and what-not in early jan., have called a few times since then but to no avail

User avatar
traehekat
Posts: 3195
Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 4:00 pm

Re: In at IU-Bloomington!!!!

Postby traehekat » Thu May 13, 2010 5:56 pm

webbylu87 wrote:Wihtdrew from the WL today. Good luck to all still waiting!


Campus here in Champaign-Urbana has been looking particularly nice the last few weeks - you are going to love it here.

ChalkyTrouble wrote:went complete and what-not in early jan., have called a few times since then but to no avail


Sick.

User avatar
Kilpatrick
Posts: 1073
Joined: Sun Dec 06, 2009 2:06 am

Re: In at IU-Bloomington!!!!

Postby Kilpatrick » Thu May 13, 2010 6:05 pm

.
Last edited by Kilpatrick on Wed Nov 09, 2011 12:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
webbylu87
Posts: 659
Joined: Sun Mar 29, 2009 9:07 pm

Re: In at IU-Bloomington!!!!

Postby webbylu87 » Thu May 13, 2010 6:14 pm

traehekat wrote:Campus here in Champaign-Urbana has been looking particularly nice the last few weeks - you are going to love it here.


Ooh, boy. I do love the campus. Iowa, however, has been rainy and cold lately. Swap you states!

User avatar
traehekat
Posts: 3195
Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 4:00 pm

Re: In at IU-Bloomington!!!!

Postby traehekat » Thu May 13, 2010 6:28 pm

webbylu87 wrote:
traehekat wrote:Campus here in Champaign-Urbana has been looking particularly nice the last few weeks - you are going to love it here.


Ooh, boy. I do love the campus. Iowa, however, has been rainy and cold lately. Swap you states!


We were supposed to have this big thunderstorm today - never happened. I just hope it's nice for graduation.

User avatar
danquayle
Posts: 1108
Joined: Tue Dec 09, 2008 2:12 am

Re: In at IU-Bloomington!!!!

Postby danquayle » Thu May 13, 2010 9:18 pm

This is ridiculous. I almost fill like calling admissions myself and being like, what the hell is up with you all? You're losing good candidates left and right.

User avatar
ChalkyTrouble
Posts: 6
Joined: Thu Apr 29, 2010 11:30 pm

Re: In at IU-Bloomington!!!!

Postby ChalkyTrouble » Thu May 13, 2010 11:19 pm

Just out of curiosity, what were some of your allz biggest reasons for choosing Indy/making it your first choice?




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: canafsa, ellielaw, Google [Bot], Google Adsense [Bot], spursforever, taxman14 and 13 guests