In at IU-Bloomington!!!!

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
User avatar
Threepeat
Posts: 202
Joined: Sat Sep 26, 2009 11:37 pm

Re: In at IU-Bloomington!!!!

Postby Threepeat » Thu Apr 29, 2010 8:22 am

Snazzygirl wrote:

Is there an IUB admitted/attending student Facebook page?


http://www.facebook.com/#!/group.php?gi ... 927&ref=ts

User avatar
NatSec
Posts: 120
Joined: Sun Oct 04, 2009 1:52 pm

Re: In at IU-Bloomington!!!!

Postby NatSec » Thu Apr 29, 2010 9:05 am

Jay-Electronica wrote:where is everyone living??


cityflats.

any married folks getting there mid-summer?

User avatar
ticklememauve
Posts: 107
Joined: Tue Dec 15, 2009 4:12 pm

Re: In at IU-Bloomington!!!!

Postby ticklememauve » Thu Apr 29, 2010 11:54 am

NatSec wrote:
Jay-Electronica wrote:where is everyone living??


cityflats.

any married folks getting there mid-summer?


Maybe. I'm married and have yet to make a decision. Ay yi yi.

narkizopoint
Posts: 200
Joined: Tue Dec 22, 2009 5:33 pm

Re: In at IU-Bloomington!!!!

Postby narkizopoint » Thu Apr 29, 2010 11:55 am

Married and going to attend summer starts. Should be fun.

crm
Posts: 282
Joined: Fri Jan 15, 2010 11:21 pm

Re: In at IU-Bloomington!!!!

Postby crm » Thu Apr 29, 2010 12:09 pm

Just called admissions because I have been waiting since the beginning of January. The lady was really nice about it and said nothing as of yet, but will pull my file since I have been waiting awhile and I will have an answer within two weeks. Interesting, should've done that awhile ago
Last edited by crm on Thu Apr 29, 2010 12:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
futurelawyer413
Posts: 116
Joined: Mon Oct 29, 2007 8:15 pm

Re: In at IU-Bloomington!!!!

Postby futurelawyer413 » Thu Apr 29, 2010 12:11 pm

crm wrote:Just called admissions because I have been waiting since the beginning of July. The lady was really nice about it and said nothing as of yet, but will pull my file since I have been waiting awhile and I will have an answer within two weeks. Interesting, should've done that awhile ago


Dammmn! July!?!? like July 2009? that's got to be a TLS record! Major good luck to you!

crm
Posts: 282
Joined: Fri Jan 15, 2010 11:21 pm

Re: In at IU-Bloomington!!!!

Postby crm » Thu Apr 29, 2010 12:42 pm

futurelawyer413 wrote:
crm wrote:Just called admissions because I have been waiting since the beginning of July. The lady was really nice about it and said nothing as of yet, but will pull my file since I have been waiting awhile and I will have an answer within two weeks. Interesting, should've done that awhile ago


Dammmn! July!?!? like July 2009? that's got to be a TLS record! Major good luck to you!


whoops, meant January. Sorry haha

User avatar
traehekat
Posts: 3195
Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 4:00 pm

Re: In at IU-Bloomington!!!!

Postby traehekat » Thu Apr 29, 2010 12:51 pm

crm wrote:Just called admissions because I have been waiting since the beginning of January. The lady was really nice about it and said nothing as of yet, but will pull my file since I have been waiting awhile and I will have an answer within two weeks. Interesting, should've done that awhile ago


Been waiting since January as well. I called like... probably over a month ago to see what was going on, and they were very nice and said I should have a decision in two weeks. I haven't heard anything since then. They didn't mention they were "pulling my file," though, whatever that means.

User avatar
Vincent Vega
Posts: 1182
Joined: Mon Oct 26, 2009 11:36 pm

Re: In at IU-Bloomington!!!!

Postby Vincent Vega » Thu Apr 29, 2010 1:17 pm

superflush wrote:
Vincent Vega wrote:Steeplechase - --LinkRemoved--


Are you living by yourself, or with people?


I got a 2BR and I have been bugging people on here and LSN for months about finding a roommate and have been thus far unsuccessful.

User avatar
Jerome
Posts: 334
Joined: Wed Jan 20, 2010 3:15 pm

Re: In at IU-Bloomington!!!!

Postby Jerome » Thu Apr 29, 2010 1:34 pm

traehekat wrote:
crm wrote:Just called admissions because I have been waiting since the beginning of January. The lady was really nice about it and said nothing as of yet, but will pull my file since I have been waiting awhile and I will have an answer within two weeks. Interesting, should've done that awhile ago


Been waiting since January as well. I called like... probably over a month ago to see what was going on, and they were very nice and said I should have a decision in two weeks. I haven't heard anything since then. They didn't mention they were "pulling my file," though, whatever that means.


Same here! Ugh. Want to kill someone. Will call. Nothing to lose.

keg411
Posts: 5935
Joined: Tue Apr 21, 2009 9:10 pm

Re: In at IU-Bloomington!!!!

Postby keg411 » Thu Apr 29, 2010 1:35 pm

If people from January apps are still waiting, I'm going to hear in June :lol: (I applied at the deadline).

sleepymonkey
Posts: 3
Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2009 12:00 pm

Re: In at IU-Bloomington!!!!

Postby sleepymonkey » Thu Apr 29, 2010 3:41 pm

My bf is going to IU and I couldn't be more excited. We're moving in July but he's not doing summer start. For those of you who are married (or your sig. other is moving with you), has your sig. other had any luck with a job search?

Hope to meet some of you in the summer! :)

User avatar
ticklememauve
Posts: 107
Joined: Tue Dec 15, 2009 4:12 pm

Re: In at IU-Bloomington!!!!

Postby ticklememauve » Thu Apr 29, 2010 4:08 pm

sleepymonkey wrote:My bf is going to IU and I couldn't be more excited. We're moving in July but he's not doing summer start. For those of you who are married (or your sig. other is moving with you), has your sig. other had any luck with a job search?

Hope to meet some of you in the summer! :)


What sort of job fields are significant others looking at? My husband is a software engineer/developer and has a job in a town about 2 hours south of Bloomington. There seem to be opportunities in Indianapolis but not so much in Bloomington. Indy is about an hour away depending on where in Indy you're going . . . but I hate for either/both of us to have to commute as much as that.

How 'bout anyone else?

User avatar
SportsFanatic
Posts: 148
Joined: Tue Apr 07, 2009 12:01 pm

Re: In at IU-Bloomington!!!!

Postby SportsFanatic » Thu Apr 29, 2010 4:11 pm

My wife has not started looking yet, but I suspect she will have a hard time finding something. She's in the research (biology major) field

sleepymonkey
Posts: 3
Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2009 12:00 pm

Re: In at IU-Bloomington!!!!

Postby sleepymonkey » Thu Apr 29, 2010 4:13 pm

I've mainly been looking at IU for job opportunities. I've been working in non-profits in DC for the past 5 years. I don't really care what I do as long as I have some money coming in for the next 3 years. My whole family went to IU for undergrad so I've been contacting friends/family for any networking possibilities.

I really don't want to commute to Indy but if it comes down to it, I will.

User avatar
jackalope11
Posts: 265
Joined: Sat Jun 27, 2009 8:00 pm

Re: In at IU-Bloomington!!!!

Postby jackalope11 » Thu Apr 29, 2010 4:35 pm

sleepymonkey wrote:I've mainly been looking at IU for job opportunities. I've been working in non-profits in DC for the past 5 years. I don't really care what I do as long as I have some money coming in for the next 3 years. My whole family went to IU for undergrad so I've been contacting friends/family for any networking possibilities.

I really don't want to commute to Indy but if it comes down to it, I will.


Good luck... seriously... There are very few jobs, here, especially in non-profit / PI work. If you don't believe me, ask current law students about local jobs. SPEA (the local public admin. school) has almost 2k students, all of whom intern and work for the local government / non-profits, often for free. On top of that, there are 250 or so MPA students per year there, all of whom try to intern locally to fulfill their requirement.

I attend IU currently, and know that for a recent entry-level opening at the school, they received over 30 resumes from people with a Master's degree. I've heard from one of my professors that the person who punches his ticket at the parking garage has his PhD from the Kelley School of Business. Unfortunately, this is the level of competition in the local job market.

As many other people have already posted, Bloomington is a very scenic place to live / study. Unfortunately, this also means that they have an extremely high retention rate for graduates, and a dearth of available jobs outside of tending bar or delivering pizzas. Many people are able to secure work in Indy, but with the traffic lights you're looking at well over one hour each way to commute. Residents have been able to fight, successfully thus far, any attempts at constructing an interstate highway to connect Bloomington with Indy... which means you're stuck fighting lights all the way to and from...

You might try the Crane Naval Base, which is close by and hires a great deal of contractors. However, I have heard that they have been swamped with applicants lately too.

Sorry for the burst of pessimism, but I thought I would warn you in advance... I didn't find all this out until I got here!

I've got no reason to lie, as I am not staying for LS, but I saw your submission on the Latest Forum Posts, and thought I would let you know. Truly, it is just friendly advice... take it as you will.

User avatar
Jerome
Posts: 334
Joined: Wed Jan 20, 2010 3:15 pm

Re: In at IU-Bloomington!!!!

Postby Jerome » Thu Apr 29, 2010 4:38 pm

Called office of admissions. No updates to my file, but decisions will be mailed within two weeks. So, let's see...January, February, March, April...

sleepymonkey
Posts: 3
Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2009 12:00 pm

Re: In at IU-Bloomington!!!!

Postby sleepymonkey » Thu Apr 29, 2010 4:51 pm

Thanks Jackalope. I know it's going to be difficult but luckily we have some savings. I'm confident that something will work out.

User avatar
ticklememauve
Posts: 107
Joined: Tue Dec 15, 2009 4:12 pm

Re: In at IU-Bloomington!!!!

Postby ticklememauve » Thu Apr 29, 2010 5:21 pm

I'm certainly glad to hear honest advice. It helps to make decisions.

Just out of curiosity, does anyone know if universities (IU, in particular) give any form of tuition remission for professional programs to university employees/family members? I got tuition remission this year while working for UofLouisville but I was in an M.A. program--not a professional program.

Snazzygirl
Posts: 46
Joined: Sat Oct 18, 2008 3:12 pm

Re: In at IU-Bloomington!!!!

Postby Snazzygirl » Thu Apr 29, 2010 5:56 pm

Threepeat wrote:
Snazzygirl wrote:

Is there an IUB admitted/attending student Facebook page?


http://www.facebook.com/#!/group.php?gi ... 927&ref=ts


Thanks!! :lol:

User avatar
NatSec
Posts: 120
Joined: Sun Oct 04, 2009 1:52 pm

Re: In at IU-Bloomington!!!!

Postby NatSec » Fri Apr 30, 2010 9:16 am

ticklememauve wrote:
sleepymonkey wrote:My bf is going to IU and I couldn't be more excited. We're moving in July but he's not doing summer start. For those of you who are married (or your sig. other is moving with you), has your sig. other had any luck with a job search?

Hope to meet some of you in the summer! :)


What sort of job fields are significant others looking at? My husband is a software engineer/developer and has a job in a town about 2 hours south of Bloomington. There seem to be opportunities in Indianapolis but not so much in Bloomington. Indy is about an hour away depending on where in Indy you're going . . . but I hate for either/both of us to have to commute as much as that.

How 'bout anyone else?



my wife is a CPA and is looking at work in Public or Internal Audit, so she is actually able to work through recruiters in Indy and near Bloomington. from what we've researched there are jobs to be had in Indy and I think some in Columbus (i think that's the towns name).

User avatar
klussy
Posts: 121
Joined: Mon Apr 27, 2009 5:19 pm

Re: In at IU-Bloomington!!!!

Postby klussy » Fri Apr 30, 2010 1:06 pm

165/3.5 in but with no money...will withdraw. not impressed by their sloppy admissions office.

User avatar
You Gotta Have Faith
Posts: 403
Joined: Sat May 02, 2009 5:04 am

Re: In at IU-Bloomington!!!!

Postby You Gotta Have Faith » Fri Apr 30, 2010 1:59 pm

klussy wrote:165/3.5 in but with no money...will withdraw. not impressed by their sloppy admissions office.


Have you tried asking for money? You're above the LSAT median. They may just give you some. Never know until you ask. But if you already have, and you have those numbers, then I could understand. Btw, I'm guessing you're in-state for them to not give you anything. Being in-state alone is like having a 15K scholarship annually. I've noticed IU-B saves a lot of their $$ for out-of-state kids... but even with that help it usually doesn't get as low (for most of them) as just being in-state to begin with.

User avatar
traehekat
Posts: 3195
Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 4:00 pm

Re: In at IU-Bloomington!!!!

Postby traehekat » Fri Apr 30, 2010 2:58 pm

Waitlisted, 164 3.59. Kinda surprised, but I wouldn't have attended without some money (which at this point I wasn't expecting), so no big deal.

Good luck to everyone still waiting!

User avatar
Threepeat
Posts: 202
Joined: Sat Sep 26, 2009 11:37 pm

Re: In at IU-Bloomington!!!!

Postby Threepeat » Fri Apr 30, 2010 3:27 pm

traehekat wrote:Waitlisted, 164 3.59. Kinda surprised, but I wouldn't have attended without some money (which at this point I wasn't expecting), so no big deal.

Good luck to everyone still waiting!


Sorry man. I was really pulling for you to get in.




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 3 guests