In at IU-Bloomington!!!!

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Veritas

Re: In at IU-Bloomington!!!!

Postby Veritas » Sun Mar 28, 2010 8:00 pm

so who's ready to go back?

Vincent Vega

Postby Vincent Vega » Sun Mar 28, 2010 8:10 pm

Veritas wrote:so who's ready to go back?

Me. I like the clothing optional rule.

Vincent Vega

Postby Vincent Vega » Sun Mar 28, 2010 8:15 pm

Also, I thought I was going to die on my flight home. Shitload of storms.

danquayle

Postby danquayle » Sun Mar 28, 2010 9:17 pm

You all should come down for little 5. I'll be back.

weis14

Postby weis14 » Sun Mar 28, 2010 10:24 pm

I'll be there. Can't turn down the full scholly. Plus, I really liked the school and Bloomington, and my wife gave the ok. Now, I just need to decided whether or not to do the summer start.

MBZags

Postby MBZags » Sun Mar 28, 2010 10:59 pm

Does the full tuition scholarship cover summer start, or would we have to pay out of pocket for it?

weis14

Postby weis14 » Sun Mar 28, 2010 11:01 pm

MBZags wrote:Does the full tuition scholarship cover summer start, or would we have to pay out of pocket for it?

I received an email from Dani stating that it was covered.

84Sunbird2000

Postby 84Sunbird2000 » Sun Mar 28, 2010 11:11 pm

So does Summer Start allow you to take less credits 1L Fall semester or simply reduce the total credits you'll need to graduate after it?

joonhp

Postby joonhp » Sun Mar 28, 2010 11:15 pm

has anyone heard from IU since they sent the email about how applications numbers are high so decisions are taking longer? i am still waiting...

weis14

Postby weis14 » Mon Mar 29, 2010 12:14 am

84Sunbird2000 wrote:So does Summer Start allow you to take less credits 1L Fall semester or simply reduce the total credits you'll need to graduate after it?

As far as I know, you still take the same number of fall classes. You take one 2L class early. The class would allow you to take fewer credits your 2L or 3L year.

tww909

Postby tww909 » Mon Mar 29, 2010 12:33 am

RMstratosphere wrote:
Threepeat wrote:
Veritas wrote:
Zapatero wrote:

All of the spring-gun traps functioned properly, which is good.

I appreciated that it was aimed at my legs.

also, clothes are optional

LMAO

120 payments is about 10 years.

apparently in addition to being a tls lurker i ended up being an iub sld lurker. judging by the 120 payments thing i was sitting right by you guys.

i'll second that the events were pretty useless, but it was still nice to get a chance to check out bloomington.

NatSec

Postby NatSec » Mon Mar 29, 2010 9:42 am

weis14 wrote:

I'll be there. Can't turn down the full scholly. Plus, I really liked the school and Bloomington, and my wife gave the ok. Now, I just need to decided whether or not to do the summer start.

my wife also loved it. instead of the housing tour she took me around to the three places i was allowed to choose from to live. was very suprised that she took to it so well.

traehekat

Postby traehekat » Mon Mar 29, 2010 11:27 am

So I just got back to my apartment after the break, checked the mailbox, aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaannnnnddddd...

nothing! I grow weary these shenanigans, IUB (looking at you too, UNC). At this point I have given up all hope on receiving any kind of merit aid from IUB, which pretty much eliminate them from consideration. Does anyone have information on their money situation over there? Seems like they have been handing out full rides recently, if I recall correctly - I just hope there is something left at this point.

parks1388

Postby parks1388 » Mon Mar 29, 2010 12:30 pm

traehekat wrote:So I just got back to my apartment after the break, checked the mailbox, aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaannnnnddddd...

nothing! I grow weary these shenanigans, IUB (looking at you too, UNC). At this point I have given up all hope on receiving any kind of merit aid from IUB, which pretty much eliminate them from consideration. Does anyone have information on their money situation over there? Seems like they have been handing out full rides recently, if I recall correctly - I just hope there is something left at this point.

When I spoke to Dani at spring law day about how tough a time I was having making a decision she gave me an extension and I remember her saying something that led me to believe that they really need to wait to hear from the Apr 1-9 deadline to see who withdraws especially in concerns with schollies. At the event I think there were AT LEAST 50 people with large schollies as there were 50 of us staying in the HGI and I met several others who had huge schollies that were not staying in the HGI. Annnnd on a side note...in case you were worried that their lack of a seat deposit would cause people to game them and say they were coming but not actually go....I heard from numerous people that they did not think they could say yes to the first deadline unless they were fully committed as giving your word is a lot more meaningful than 200-700 dollars. So expect things to open up around apr. 15 I personally don't think you have much of a chance of hearing anything before then....

Jerome

Postby Jerome » Mon Mar 29, 2010 12:32 pm

parks1388 wrote:
traehekat wrote:So I just got back to my apartment after the break, checked the mailbox, aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaannnnnddddd...

When I spoke to Dani at spring law day about how tough a time I was having making a decision she gave me an extension and I remember her saying something that led me to believe that they really need to wait to hear from the Apr 1-9 deadline to see who withdraws especially in concerns with schollies. At the event I think there were AT LEAST 50 people with large schollies as there were 50 of us staying in the HGI and I met several others who had huge schollies that were not staying in the HGI. Annnnd on a side note...in case you were worried that their lack of a seat deposit would cause people to game them and say they were coming but not actually go....I heard from numerous people that they did not think they could say yes to the first deadline unless they were fully committed as giving your word is a lot more meaningful than 200-700 dollars. So expect things to open up around apr. 15 I personally don't think you have much of a chance of hearing anything before then....

Ugh. Waiting=suck.

parks1388

Postby parks1388 » Mon Mar 29, 2010 12:41 pm

84Sunbird2000 wrote:
RMstratosphere wrote:
My feelings exactly. The actual school parts of SLD were completely underwhelming and mostly useless. Bloomington and the students, however, were very cool. It's too bad that law school won't be much like last night.

So...the presentation was underwhelming, but what about the facilities?

I'll preface this with saying that I'm comparing the facilities here to the newly renovated WM, PSU, and WL, facitlities. Out of the bunch, PSU and WM have the newest facilities, with WL's simply looking polished and finished. IU on the other hand had, IMO, mediocre interior. Nothing seriously terrible to knock. The actual structure and space of the library was impressive, the view of the outside was incredible, but I felt that the decor left me feeling kind of bleh. The interior of the law school in general reminded me of my public highschool but sub in wood lockers where my HS had aluminum. The moot court room sufficed, but it didn't hold a candle to the McGauglin (sp?) court room at WM. So, in the end, I think that the facilities are satisfactory, but not really a selling point as much of them made the place feel dated.... PLEASE UNDERSTAND THAT I AM IN NO WAY JUDGING THE TECHNOLOGICAL INTEGRATION WITHIN THE FACILITIES JUST THE FEEL OF THEM.

traehekat

Postby traehekat » Mon Mar 29, 2010 12:46 pm

parks1388 wrote:The moot court room sufficed, but it didn't hold a candle to the McGauglin (sp?) court room at WM.

Pfft, nothing tops that courtroom, it is a work of art.

Vincent Vega

Postby Vincent Vega » Mon Mar 29, 2010 1:04 pm

parks1388 wrote:
84Sunbird2000 wrote:
RMstratosphere wrote:
My feelings exactly. The actual school parts of SLD were completely underwhelming and mostly useless. Bloomington and the students, however, were very cool. It's too bad that law school won't be much like last night.

I'll preface this with saying that I'm comparing the facilities here to the newly renovated WM, PSU, and WL, facitlities. Out of the bunch, PSU and WM have the newest facilities, with WL's simply looking polished and finished. IU on the other hand had, IMO, mediocre interior. Nothing seriously terrible to knock. The actual structure and space of the library was impressive, the view of the outside was incredible, but I felt that the decor left me feeling kind of bleh. The interior of the law school in general reminded me of my public highschool but sub in wood lockers where my HS had aluminum. The moot court room sufficed, but it didn't hold a candle to the McGauglin (sp?) court room at WM. So, in the end, I think that the facilities are satisfactory, but not really a selling point as much of them made the place feel dated.... PLEASE UNDERSTAND THAT I AM IN NO WAY JUDGING THE TECHNOLOGICAL INTEGRATION WITHIN THE FACILITIES JUST THE FEEL OF THEM.

I'm definitely with you there. The corridors of the first floor as well as the courtroom could use some renovation. The actual first floor classrooms are pretty sweet, though. Out of all of the law schools I've toured (Texas, GULC, UNC, Wake, Elon [don't judge; I went with my school's pre-law club], and IU) the classrooms are the nicest imo. At SLD, though, I don't think they really had the classrooms open for viewing.

Threepeat

Postby Threepeat » Mon Mar 29, 2010 1:22 pm

parks1388 wrote:
84Sunbird2000 wrote:
RMstratosphere wrote:

+1

You precisely described my feelings about the building. Also, the view looking out from the front doors was a little depressing (gas station and a run down penn station smack dab across the street), as well as a run-down frat house right around the corner. I know these things are purely cosmetic, but I guess I was expecting a little more from the pictures online. Oh well, it's what's taught in the classrooms that's the important thing.

lawschooliseasy

Postby lawschooliseasy » Mon Mar 29, 2010 1:29 pm

I wouldn't hold out hope for aid. You're at one median and below the other. I submitted my app in early January and still haven't heard back. I called the admissions office and was told I still had to wait another two to three weeks for a decision.

84Sunbird2000

Postby 84Sunbird2000 » Mon Mar 29, 2010 1:43 pm

traehekat wrote:
parks1388 wrote:The moot court room sufficed, but it didn't hold a candle to the McGauglin (sp?) court room at WM.

Pfft, nothing tops that courtroom, it is a work of art.

Yeah, I visited WM on 26-27 instead of IUB and I really loved the campus and the building. That McGlothlin (yes, that's the name :)) courtroom is really awesome, and of course they showed it off shamelessly. However, I'd pay another 25k (over 3 years) going to WM (with the additional small chance that I could lose that Grad Fellowship). Plus, IUB's library is supposed to be absolutely world class. WM's library was still very, very nice

I drove through State College but didn't visit PSU (as they don't offer more than 20k per year to anyone). Happy Valley is so beautiful, though. Anyways, I have to admit that MSU's courtroom was pretty awesome too, even though I wasn't too impressed with the rest of the school.

Will be going to W&L, and from all I've seen and heard it'll be nice, but I'm guessing the Shenandoah Valley will be the real attraction.

I just HOPE I like IUB enough to accept the offer, because that scholarship is insanely attractive.

ticklememauve

Postby ticklememauve » Mon Mar 29, 2010 2:18 pm

lawschooliseasy wrote:

I wouldn't hold out hope for aid. You're at one median and below the other. I submitted my app in early January and still haven't heard back. I called the admissions office and was told I still had to wait another two to three weeks for a decision.

I applied in mid-January, went complete at the end of February, and have been waiting and waiting . . . . Thank you for calling--I was about to myself. (I have trouble hearing on the telephone, so I try not to call anyone unless I have to.) Ahhh, the agony of waiting.

traehekat

Postby traehekat » Mon Mar 29, 2010 2:34 pm

lawschooliseasy wrote:

Based on that I wouldn't think I would have a chance at money either, but according to LSN everyone with similar numbers to me (including several with worse numbers) have received $45,000 (which would be enough for me to really consider IUB).

crm

Postby crm » Mon Mar 29, 2010 2:52 pm

traehekat wrote:
lawschooliseasy wrote:

Based on that I wouldn't think I would have a chance at money either, but according to LSN everyone with similar numbers to me (including several with worse numbers) have received $45,000 (which would be enough for me to really consider IUB).

+1. I'm thinking we'll be in the same batch with whatever our decision/aid (if any) is. Good luck to you, sounds like we're in the same boat. If I got the 45k, I would seriously consider it as well

danquayle

Postby danquayle » Mon Mar 29, 2010 3:02 pm

lawschooliseasy wrote:

I disagree entirely. You can still get aid this late into the application process. I didn't even apply to law schools during my cycle until March 1 and I can scholarships at every place I was accepted. I even got scholarships at the places where I was waitlisted and subsequently accepted.

Indiana makes it a point to be active late in the cycles. I suspect they're just waiting until seats/money frees up. They probably have a certain budget in mind, and simply can't offer anything new until they hear back from those they've already offered money to. Once people withdraw, both money and seats will start opening up...

I made a point of saying this before - but I personally know someone who received a full ride scholarship after getting accepted in July... and her numbers weren't wildly spectacular.
Last edited by danquayle on Mon Mar 29, 2010 3:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”