BU! woot.

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
dakatz

Re: BU! woot.

Postby dakatz » Sun Dec 13, 2009 12:27 am

Yeah I'm def psyched about it and it is certainly amongst my top choices. I did undergrad there and would love to go back.

tintin

Postby tintin » Sun Dec 13, 2009 12:30 am

got a letter today from BU offering me $20,000 a year merit scholarship. I was seriously about to withdraw my app the other day, but this changes things.......

anyone know what their deal is, what kind of gpa you have to maintain?

krispykitten

Postby krispykitten » Sun Dec 13, 2009 12:34 am

Last edited by krispykitten on Thu Jan 20, 2011 6:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dakatz

Postby dakatz » Sun Dec 13, 2009 12:43 am

tintin wrote:got a letter today from BU offering me $20,000 a year merit scholarship. I was seriously about to withdraw my app the other day, but this changes things.......

I don't recall the letter mentioning a minimum GPA. All it said was to "remain in good academic standing" in order to keep the scholarship. Not sure what that means exactly.

CardinalRules

Postby CardinalRules » Sun Dec 13, 2009 12:52 am

dakatz wrote:
tintin wrote:got a letter today from BU offering me $20,000 a year merit scholarship. I was seriously about to withdraw my app the other day, but this changes things.......

I don't recall the letter mentioning a minimum GPA. All it said was to "remain in good academic standing" in order to keep the scholarship. Not sure what that means exactly.

I don't know if it's relevant, but at UCLA it meant a 2.5 GPA. :roll: As if that GPA constitutes "good academic standing."

tintin

Postby tintin » Sun Dec 13, 2009 12:58 am

krispykitten wrote:
Congratulations!! That's awesome! What are you trying to chose between right now?

thanks! I don't really know. I've gotten into W&M (gonna withdraw though), BU, UVA, and NYU. The schools I'm super interested in, Michigan and Berkeley, seem to not want me. So I don't really know...

NancyBotwin

Postby NancyBotwin » Sun Dec 13, 2009 3:11 am

tintin wrote:
krispykitten wrote:
Congratulations!! That's awesome! What are you trying to chose between right now?

thanks! I don't really know. I've gotten into W&M (gonna withdraw though), BU, UVA, and NYU. The schools I'm super interested in, Michigan and Berkeley, seem to not want me. So I don't really know...

I will gladly take your NYU offer if you get into Mich or Berkeley. :mrgreen:

killuminati

Postby killuminati » Sun Dec 13, 2009 3:13 am

NancyBotwin wrote:
tintin wrote:
krispykitten wrote:

+1. But BU is very nice =)

nashuatree

Postby nashuatree » Sun Dec 13, 2009 3:22 am

NancyBotwin wrote:
tintin wrote:
krispykitten wrote:

And I will gladly take your UVA offer if you opt for NYU!

CardinalRules

Postby CardinalRules » Sun Dec 13, 2009 4:15 am

NancyBotwin wrote:
tintin wrote:
krispykitten wrote:

Seriously, NYU >>>> Michigan. You can tell that I'm not too fond of Michigan, though, since I applied just about everywhere else in the top 20.

tintin

Postby tintin » Sun Dec 13, 2009 12:10 pm

managamy wrote:
Seriously, NYU >>>> Michigan. You can tell that I'm not too fond of Michigan, though, since I applied just about everywhere else in the top 20.

see, i feel like the only thing that nyu has going for it in my eyes are the public interest programs and of course its academic reputation.......michigan definitely seems like a nicer place aside from those things. ann arbor is cool.

puppleberry finn

Postby puppleberry finn » Sun Dec 13, 2009 12:26 pm

tintin wrote:
managamy wrote:

see, i feel like the only thing that nyu has going for it in my eyes are the public interest programs and of course its academic reputation.......michigan definitely seems like a nicer place aside from those things. ann arbor is cool.

Mich is definitely the more prestigious as well within the legal community so there is that.

Doritos

Postby Doritos » Sun Dec 13, 2009 12:50 pm

tintin wrote:
managamy wrote:

see, i feel like the only thing that nyu has going for it in my eyes are the public interest programs and of course its academic reputation.......michigan definitely seems like a nicer place aside from those things. ann arbor is [strike]cool.[/strike] cold

but then again so is NY...

monkeygirl

Postby monkeygirl » Sun Dec 13, 2009 4:32 pm

Holy crap. BU just gave me 25K/year. Now I am confused all over again.

Burger in a can

Postby Burger in a can » Sun Dec 13, 2009 4:35 pm

Congratulations on those scholarships, guys!!!

Out of curiosity, are most of the people who have already been accepted also getting scholarships?

jay115

Postby jay115 » Sun Dec 13, 2009 4:53 pm

Burger in a can wrote:Congratulations on those scholarships, guys!!!

Out of curiosity, are most of the people who have already been accepted also getting scholarships?

im assuming they got their scholly info with or sometime immediately following their acceptances. i was accepted a week or so ago and havent received any scholly info, so i gather i wont get an offer up front.

anmo

Postby anmo » Sun Dec 13, 2009 5:07 pm

monkeygirl wrote:Holy crap. BU just gave me 25K/year. Now I am confused all over again.

Awesome! We're basically # and URM twins... When did you receive the scholarship offer? Was it when you received your acceptance letter or more recently? Thanks and congrats again!

Blindmelon

Postby Blindmelon » Sun Dec 13, 2009 6:21 pm

BU gives out money like candy. Over 20% of students are half scholarship or over. 50% get 10k or over a year I think... good luck all!

Another BU plug, 1st semester 1L is really not bad... you only take 3 classes and a writing seminar that finishes before finals. They did it so 1L wouldn't be so scary, and it really isn't :). I'm in the middle of finals, and am actually sort of having fun.

robin600

Postby robin600 » Sun Dec 13, 2009 6:31 pm

anybody know when the majority of decisions will be handed out?
thanks!

killuminati

Postby killuminati » Sun Dec 13, 2009 7:04 pm

monkeygirl wrote:Holy crap. BU just gave me 25K/year. Now I am confused all over again.

Wait when yesterday? Did it come with the accept packet or separately? I'm still waiting for my admission packet...should be here tomorrow actually...hoping they send the scholly info with it! if at all...

GobiasIndustries

Postby GobiasIndustries » Sun Dec 13, 2009 7:10 pm

It sounds like scholarship info is coming after the official acceptance, but I'm sure someone can clarify on exact timelines for me. Congratulations to everyone who's gotten in so far! BU is probably my top realistic choice, and I really hope I hear something from them soon.

roxj

Postby roxj » Sun Dec 13, 2009 7:16 pm

Congrats to people who have gotten $$. As several above have asked, did the scholarship info come with the decision letter, or later? I got my acceptance letter about 10 days ago with no mention of money, so just wondering if there is hope for scholly letter.

Burger in a can

Postby Burger in a can » Mon Dec 14, 2009 1:11 pm

Sigh. Prettttty quiet in here today, huh? :|

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=erVewRbMcPw
Last edited by Burger in a can on Mon Dec 14, 2009 1:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.

dakatz

Postby dakatz » Mon Dec 14, 2009 1:14 pm

roxj wrote:Congrats to people who have gotten $$. As several above have asked, did the scholarship info come with the decision letter, or later? I got my acceptance letter about 10 days ago with no mention of money, so just wondering if there is hope for scholly letter.

The scholarship information came about a week after the acceptance packet.

GobiasIndustries

Postby GobiasIndustries » Mon Dec 14, 2009 1:22 pm

Burger in a can wrote:Sigh. Prettttty quiet in here today, huh? :|

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=erVewRbMcPw

Too quiet. I'm realizing we're both pining for BU/BC and awaiting good news from UConn, too. I hope it all works out for both of us!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”