BU! woot. Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
ilovelawapps

Bronze

Re: BU! woot.

Post by ilovelawapps » Tue Apr 13, 2010 11:23 am

jks289 wrote:
Blindmelon wrote:Calling someone a "[homophobic language redacted]" will not fly here. I hope whoever you're talking about doesn't come here. If he does, he is not going to be well liked.
Melon, I know that isn't the culture of the campus. I was just trying to illustrate what the kids in my group were like and why I am so nervous about committing. But it really seems like most people had good experiences. I am trying to figure out how I decide, now that I feel like my first impression/gut feeling may have been completely off base.
That kid sounds like he sucks, but keep in mind some people get nervous in situations like ASD's etc and put on airs and don't act like themselves at all. I remember back in UG, I thought a few kids at orientation were totally douche, only to find out a month or so later they were actually really cool (and smart) and became some of my best friends at school. Certainly not saying my experience translates to yours, but just food for thought.

newyorker88

Silver

Post by newyorker88 » Tue Apr 13, 2010 12:37 pm

Kiersten1985 wrote:
Blindmelon wrote:Calling someone a "[homophobic language redacted]" will not fly here. I hope whoever you're talking about doesn't come here. If he does, he is not going to be well liked.
He'll probably like BC better haha.
People weren't like that at all at the BC open house.

tram988

Silver

Post by tram988 » Tue Apr 13, 2010 12:40 pm

Kiersten1985 wrote:
He'll probably like BC better haha.
HAHA man you're funny.

newyorklaw23

New

Post by newyorklaw23 » Tue Apr 13, 2010 12:49 pm

My password for the admitted students site is not working. It seemed like they sent me a generic name and password that would work for anyone but now i can't log in. Could anyone post or PM me the login and pass?

McBean

New

Post by McBean » Tue Apr 13, 2010 1:14 pm

I'm kind of surprised everyone is so hung up on the facilities. They suck pretty horribly, it's true. Climate control in the tower is god awful. I often find my self sweating to death in class. You can't open the windows because the peeps that sit next to them won't be able to hear over the noise coming from Storrow Drive. There aren't enough elevators, meaning long waits and cramped rides. The wireless connection is hopeless and the library has no hard lines to plug into.

But, after about 2 weeks you stop noticing. Most of the time that you aren't in class, you're sitting at a desk in the library or a carrel, not admiring the architecture or the gorgeous view. Professors are great, always available and wicked accomplished. Career services is extremely helpful. Everyone seemed to get a job for the summer and even a few paid ones. Everyday there is some speaker or brown bag lunch to go to. Some students might be a bit "fratty", but many are straight from undergrad, so it should not be unexpected. And with 80-95 students in your section, you should be able to find someone to hang out with who doesn't annoy you.

Plus, having the fratty kids around results in cool SGA event stories, like someone pooping in the hallway at law prom or throwing beer bottles at Halloween party bouncers. And in the words of a gunner classmate, "I hope everyone in our section keeps partying. It will make getting LR much easier." So there's a bright side.

And Boston rocks. Surprisingly, during the first month or so of your first semester, you'll have quite a bit of time to explore and see how awesome it is. As a side note, don't be a lame law student who never gets out of Brighton.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

ls10

New

Post by ls10 » Tue Apr 13, 2010 2:17 pm

jks289 wrote: I am willing to buy that I just got stuck in a bad group. To illustrate: At one point the guy behind me tried to get the attention of a friend who didn't see him. When the friend ignored him he said loudly "What a gay man." (Edit: Mod has it set to not write the actual gay slur here, but you know what I mean) That is what I mean by "fratty." Just not the kind of peer I'd hoped for, and I felt like there was stuff like that throughout the day. Assuming I just got put in a sort of douche group, I'd hate to base a life-altering decision on something so trivial.

I really didn't like the facilities, but I also don't care THAT much what the building is like. And as I said the professors were top notch, and I can't think of anything more important than classroom experience. So now I feel like I have 48 hours to decide my gut is wrong about people or decide that professors and classes matter more to me. Or I just say forget it, rely on my first impression and move our family to f-ing Missouri. Oy.
I am a current 3L here and I will tell you that you definitely had a bad group. More than likely those kids will not end up coming here, and if they do, they will definitely have to mature and change their attitude. Speaking to your example specifically, the Outlaw student affinity group is a well-respected group at BU Law that is composed of both gay and straight allies. We also have three faculty members who are openly gay. More generally, one of the reasons why I love it here is that we have an amazing student body. I have made really great friends here and it's great that we had each other for support as we struggled through 1L and everything else in law school together. I think you'd really like it here and you shouldn't let a few bad apples (who aren't even guaranteed to enroll here) ruin your impression of the school.

As for the facilities, while they are not that great, they are functional. The 1L classrooms have been renovated, so they are nice (in my opinion). There are plenty of renovated study lounges throughout the tower, which I prefer over the library. And, as many people have pointed out, the views are incredible. Although the ideal is go to to law school in a Hogwarts-like building, I think that the facilities make BU Law unique; we all bond over how ugly the building is and during interviews with BU Law alums, they love to recount their days here before any of the classrooms or study spaces were renovated. At the end of the day, I think the ridiculously high quality of our professors make up for it.

Cupidity

Gold

Post by Cupidity » Tue Apr 13, 2010 5:27 pm

What action would the school take if I punched the kid in the face?

McBean

New

Post by McBean » Tue Apr 13, 2010 5:39 pm

Cupidity wrote:
You get elected president of Outlaw.

Cupidity

Gold

Post by Cupidity » Tue Apr 13, 2010 10:41 pm

McBean wrote:
Cupidity wrote:
You get elected president of Outlaw.
Done.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

parker09

Bronze

Post by parker09 » Wed Apr 14, 2010 5:18 am

Just withdrew... sad to not be living in Boston for the next three years, but it was time (and the deadline's like tomorrow).

Good luck to those still waiting -- hope someone in here gets my spot and $90k!

empire84

New

Post by empire84 » Wed Apr 14, 2010 1:13 pm

withdrawing tomorrow. that's $30k back into the pot. g'luck y'all.

schnauzerlover

New

Post by schnauzerlover » Wed Apr 14, 2010 2:53 pm

sent in my deposit today :) Excited about BU next year! yay!

AllBusiness

New

Post by AllBusiness » Thu Apr 15, 2010 10:24 am

Sent an email withdrawing last night, declining an 85K scholarship. It was a really tough thing to do. Good luck to everyone else!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

jks289

Silver

Post by jks289 » Thu Apr 15, 2010 11:24 am

Withdrew, really hard to decide but the right thing for me. 30K to go to someone else. Good luck waitlisters and congrats to everyone who is attending.

puppleberry finn

Silver

Post by puppleberry finn » Thu Apr 15, 2010 11:29 am

withdrew, declining a full ride. hope it helps out someone else!

84Sunbird2000

Silver

Post by 84Sunbird2000 » Thu Apr 15, 2010 11:47 am

Withdrew. 45k back in. I really wish I would have liked the school more, because BU's career prospects are absolutely outstanding, but I just don't think it was the right fit. I usually don't rely on gut instinct, but I just feel like William & Mary is the place I'm meant to be.

dakatz

Gold

Post by dakatz » Thu Apr 15, 2010 11:48 am

84Sunbird2000 wrote:Withdrew. 45k back in. I really wish I would have liked the school more, because BU's career prospects are absolutely outstanding, but I just don't think it was the right fit. I usually don't rely on gut instinct, but I just feel like William & Mary is the place I'm meant to be.
What makes you say their career prospects are outstanding? I'm trying to rationalize picking BU over Cornell, and am looking for any evidence I can on BU's more recent job prospects.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Not-A-Teabagger

New

Post by Not-A-Teabagger » Thu Apr 15, 2010 11:50 am

dakatz wrote:
84Sunbird2000 wrote:Withdrew. 45k back in. I really wish I would have liked the school more, because BU's career prospects are absolutely outstanding, but I just don't think it was the right fit. I usually don't rely on gut instinct, but I just feel like William & Mary is the place I'm meant to be.
What makes you say their career prospects are outstanding? I'm trying to rationalize picking BU over Cornell, and am looking for any evidence I can on BU's more recent job prospects.
BU doesn't have a suicide bridge for when you rank at the bottom of your class. Thus, there is an outstanding chance that you will at least be employed somewhere.

SAE

Silver

Post by SAE » Thu Apr 15, 2010 11:52 am

Not-A-Teabagger wrote: BU doesn't have a suicide bridge for when you rank at the bottom of your class. Thus, there is an outstanding chance that you will at least be employed somewhere.
I'm pretty sure the bridge's been utilized heavily by the local engineering students. Haven't heard of anyone from the law school.

Kiersten1985

Silver

Post by Kiersten1985 » Thu Apr 15, 2010 11:56 am

BU places extremely well in Boston and the surrounding region. If you are fine with living there, you shouldn't worry about job prospects coming out of BU.

Mattalones

Silver

Post by Mattalones » Thu Apr 15, 2010 12:30 pm

Last edited by Mattalones on Wed Jun 09, 2010 2:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

tkicker182

New

Post by tkicker182 » Thu Apr 15, 2010 12:33 pm

Is anyone still waiting? I am. Complete 1/22. Should I just expect my rejection letter any day now?

mdgold

New

Post by mdgold » Thu Apr 15, 2010 1:28 pm

can't seem to find my login info for the admitted students site. Could someone please PM it to me? thanks

macunaima

New

Post by macunaima » Thu Apr 15, 2010 5:12 pm

Withdrawn.

Hope that helps someone.

Cupidity

Gold

Post by Cupidity » Thu Apr 15, 2010 6:31 pm

Not-A-Teabagger wrote:
dakatz wrote:
BU doesn't have a suicide bridge for when you rank at the bottom of your class. Thus, there is an outstanding chance that you will at least be employed somewhere.
Dood. Its called tha roof. :shock:

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”