BU! woot. Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Blindmelon

Gold

Re: BU! woot.

Post by Blindmelon » Tue Apr 06, 2010 7:38 am

dakatz wrote:I submitted a letter of scholarship negotiation, telling them I would commit if they would match another school's specific scholarship amount. While they didn't quite match it, they did offer me a 10K stipend for first year housing. Once I factor in all the money I saved up, plus the scholarship offer, BU would only put me about 25K in debt. This is becoming more and more temping, even at the expense of a T-6 school at sticker.
Hey Katz - congrats on the $! I'll try to get back to your PM soon. I've just been killed with work.

NU_Jet55

Silver

Post by NU_Jet55 » Tue Apr 06, 2010 9:27 am

dudders wrote:Just got my $0 offer from BU in the mail today. Their letter stated they are out of scholarship and grant funds for the current class, unless additional money becomes available. So for anyone who hasn't heard, don't keep your hopes up.

That makes my choices BU sticker ($170k debt), USC sticker ($203k debt, GW (I'm assuming sticker - $211k debt), W&M 1/3 tuition (about $100k total debt), CU-Boulder (about $110k total debt), or Fordham with $7k/yr (or something like $190k total debt).

I kind of hate my life right now.
would trade you for those choices in a heartbeat.

dudders

Bronze

Post by dudders » Tue Apr 06, 2010 10:30 am

dudders wrote:
Just got my $0 offer from BU in the mail today. Their letter stated they are out of scholarship and grant funds for the current class, unless additional money becomes available. So for anyone who hasn't heard, don't keep your hopes up.

That makes my choices BU sticker ($170k debt), USC sticker ($203k debt, GW (I'm assuming sticker - $211k debt), W&M 1/3 tuition (about $100k total debt), CU-Boulder (about $110k total debt), or Fordham with $7k/yr (or something like $190k total debt).

I kind of hate my life right now.

would trade you for those choices in a heartbeat.
Oh, don't get me wrong, I love the schools and I'm thrilled to be able to be making this choice. The idea of nearly$200k in debt, however, makes me want to throw up. I'm pretty debt averse, I've have money struggles in the past. I originally was trying to keep my law school debt in the five figures. Obviously that's impossible, and now I'm just guilting myself for a lower-than-desirable undergrad GPA and it's impacts on the $$ side.

I just wish $ wasn't such a big part of the decision for me, and that this cycle was over already.

Ladypurlt

New

Post by Ladypurlt » Tue Apr 06, 2010 1:00 pm

sad I got waitlisted today through email but hoping bu is still in my future. Please GOD I really want to attend there, got in northeastern, but really want bu or bc

still waiting on bc for a decision, feeling defeated what is typically in a loci and should i simply give up on bu?

need some advice

dreaming

Bronze

Post by dreaming » Tue Apr 06, 2010 1:05 pm

Ladypurlt wrote:sad I got waitlisted today through email but hoping bu is still in my future. Please GOD I really want to attend there, got in northeastern, but really want bu or bc

still waiting on bc for a decision, feeling defeated what is typically in a loci and should i simply give up on bu?

need some advice

When did you apply?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Ladypurlt

New

Post by Ladypurlt » Tue Apr 06, 2010 1:08 pm

dreaming wrote:
Ladypurlt wrote:sad I got waitlisted today through email but hoping bu is still in my future. Please GOD I really want to attend there, got in northeastern, but really want bu or bc

need some advice

When did you apply?
I went complete feb 25th know I was really late but was dealing with a family death and couldn't finish everything before that

im 3.8/152 underrepresented minority

dreaming

Bronze

Post by dreaming » Tue Apr 06, 2010 1:34 pm

Ladypurlt wrote:
dreaming wrote:

need some advice

When did you apply?
I went complete feb 25th know I was really late but was dealing with a family death and couldn't finish everything before that

im 3.8/152 underrepresented minority
Sorry to hear about that. :( I'm 3.7/154... and URM. I was complete in Jan. Is it wierd I haven't heard yet? Probably a rejection??

even2flow

Silver

Post by even2flow » Tue Apr 06, 2010 1:36 pm

I think there's a lot of people who applied early that are still waiting to hear.

I hope at least.

dreaming

Bronze

Post by dreaming » Tue Apr 06, 2010 1:37 pm

even2flow wrote:I think there's a lot of people who applied early that are still waiting to hear.

I hope at least.
So there's hope :) ?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

prolyphek

New

Post by prolyphek » Tue Apr 06, 2010 1:44 pm

Is one who has been admitted who is not from Boston planning on moving to Boston in June or July? If so are you planning on living in one of the BU managed properties or separately managed properties?

I have been looking at both and the BU managed properties along with the furniture rental seem to be the most straight forward but I would like to bring my small dog which is complicating things a little.

I am hoping to move out there in June or July to get acclimated so I am curious to see if anyone else is planning on coming out that early?

If so and you have some ideas on places to stay and what not PM me.

Thanks

even2flow

Silver

Post by even2flow » Tue Apr 06, 2010 1:45 pm

dreaming wrote:
even2flow wrote:I think there's a lot of people who applied early that are still waiting to hear.

I hope at least.
"Hope" is a strong word. I'm sticking with "What I don't know can't hurt me" :)

dreaming

Bronze

Post by dreaming » Tue Apr 06, 2010 1:46 pm

even2flow wrote:
dreaming wrote:

I hope at least.
"Hope" is a strong word. I'm sticking with "What I don't know can't hurt me" :)
I like your thinking!

Ladypurlt

New

Post by Ladypurlt » Tue Apr 06, 2010 1:48 pm

dreaming wrote:

I hope at least.

Theres still hope and I hope that I will miraculously be moved off the wait list soon, a girl can always dream

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Stephanie13

Bronze

Post by Stephanie13 » Tue Apr 06, 2010 1:49 pm

Ladypurlt wrote:
dreaming wrote:

I hope at least.

Theres still hope and I hope that I will miraculously be moved off the wait list soon, a girl can always dream
+1!

schnauzerlover

New

Post by schnauzerlover » Tue Apr 06, 2010 2:05 pm

Anyone going to Thursday night's admitted students reception? If yes, what are you wearing? How formal do we think it will be? Business casual, suit?

Thanks!

Also, those deciding between BU and BC... how are you making the decision???? I am pretty set on BU, but with no money, now I'm not sure... an attorney in my office who went to BC has been pushing me to go to BC. I know that there is a lot of discussion out there about it, but wondering if anyone else is currently chewing this over...

terpette

Bronze

Post by terpette » Tue Apr 06, 2010 2:17 pm

schnauzerlover wrote:Anyone going to Thursday night's admitted students reception? If yes, what are you wearing? How formal do we think it will be? Business casual, suit?

Thanks!

Also, those deciding between BU and BC... how are you making the decision???? I am pretty set on BU, but with no money, now I'm not sure... an attorney in my office who went to BC has been pushing me to go to BC. I know that there is a lot of discussion out there about it, but wondering if anyone else is currently chewing this over...

I was, and then I went to visit. I just couldn't see myself living and learning there and actually enjoying myself. That's completely personal though, it just wasn't my style. I enjoyed BC more and felt more "at home".

forty-two

Bronze

Post by forty-two » Tue Apr 06, 2010 2:44 pm

terpette wrote:
schnauzerlover wrote:Anyone going to Thursday night's admitted students reception? If yes, what are you wearing? How formal do we think it will be? Business casual, suit?

Thanks!

I was, and then I went to visit. I just couldn't see myself living and learning there and actually enjoying myself. That's completely personal though, it just wasn't my style. I enjoyed BC more and felt more "at home".
That's funny...I had the exact opposite impression. I liked everyone I met at BC, but I could just see myself more at BU.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

imisscollege

Bronze

Post by imisscollege » Tue Apr 06, 2010 3:53 pm

Haven't been to BU yet but after visiting many of BC/BU's "peers," I have to say that when I visited BC everybody seemed far more laid back and seemed to love life much more than those at Gtown, UT, GW, or Fordham. I could really see myself there. It also helps BC's case that they have given me $$ and BU says they're still deciding what to give me if anything. But I will see everybody Thurs/Fri and I do believe it's business casual.

Mattalones

Silver

Post by Mattalones » Tue Apr 06, 2010 5:20 pm

Last edited by Mattalones on Wed Jun 09, 2010 2:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

door10

New

Post by door10 » Tue Apr 06, 2010 9:42 pm

prolyphek wrote:Is one who has been admitted who is not from Boston planning on moving to Boston in June or July? If so are you planning on living in one of the BU managed properties or separately managed properties?

I have been looking at both and the BU managed properties along with the furniture rental seem to be the most straight forward but I would like to bring my small dog which is complicating things a little.

I am hoping to move out there in June or July to get acclimated so I am curious to see if anyone else is planning on coming out that early?

If so and you have some ideas on places to stay and what not PM me.

Thanks
Not able to make the ASW, but would appreciate if you let us know how ASW was & your findings about housing. I'm also from out of town & thinking of BU managed property as well. Not planning on moving to Boston until early August because of other commitments, but will make a couple of trips looking for housing June & July. The Chicago BU admitted student reception was awesome, very impressive. Have a great time in Boston!

Mattalones

Silver

Post by Mattalones » Tue Apr 06, 2010 10:10 pm

Last edited by Mattalones on Wed Jun 09, 2010 2:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

jks289

Silver

Post by jks289 » Tue Apr 06, 2010 10:16 pm

Mattalones wrote:Has anyone read the case that they sent us for our Preview Day class yet? I just finished it and found myself laughing several times :lol:
When did you get it? In the mail? Online? I haven't gotten anything.

Edit: Help! I don't want to be unprepared for my first (fake) law school class. :shock:

dakatz

Gold

Post by dakatz » Tue Apr 06, 2010 10:33 pm

Mattalones wrote:Has anyone read the case that they sent us for our Preview Day class yet? I just finished it and found myself laughing several times :lol:
Trust me, you will laugh quite a bit more once you have the actual class. You will know what I mean once you go.

dakatz

Gold

Post by dakatz » Tue Apr 06, 2010 10:34 pm

jks289 wrote:
When did you get it? In the mail? Online? I haven't gotten anything.

Edit: Help! I don't want to be unprepared for my first (fake) law school class. :shock:
They send out an email with all the details for the Preview Day and a link to the case is within that email.

Cupidity

Gold

Post by Cupidity » Tue Apr 06, 2010 10:34 pm

OMFG I hope you guys have pettit. I hope I have him in the fall.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”