BU! woot.

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
sand87632

Re: BU! woot.

Postby sand87632 » Tue Mar 30, 2010 10:16 am

AllBusiness wrote:
Cupidity wrote:Those who negotiated scholarships...did you email admissions or financial aid? I emailed admissions--do you think thats ok?

I drafted a proper letter to the appropriate dean (I forget her name right now), and then I emailed it to her at the generic BU Law Financial Aid Office email address. I then sent the same letter to her via snail mail, but I also included copies of my scholarship offers at two peer schools. I did all of this about two weeks ago. Last Friday, I received a letter in the mail saying that my 45K scholarship had been increased to 75K. Awesome!

Allbusiness: what are your numbers and what rationale did you use to convince them, if u don't mind sharing?

AllBusiness

Postby AllBusiness » Tue Mar 30, 2010 10:25 am

My numbers are 3.93/167.

I would say my letter was pretty straight forward. I began by saying that I was very honored by and appreciative of being admitted and offered a scholarship. I also stated a few reasons why BU appeals to me. I then described my awards at the two peer schools and discussed that my ability to finance my legal education would be of primary importance in selecting a law school. I finished by saying that if my scholarship at BU were to cover a greater percentage of the cost of attendance there, BU would certainly become my top choice.

xokel87

Postby xokel87 » Tue Mar 30, 2010 12:37 pm

AllBusiness wrote:My numbers are 3.93/167.

I would say my letter was pretty straight forward. I began by saying that I was very honored by and appreciative of being admitted and offered a scholarship. I also stated a few reasons why BU appeals to me. I then described my awards at the two peer schools and discussed that my ability to finance my legal education would be of primary importance in selecting a law school. I finished by saying that if my scholarship at BU were to cover a greater percentage of the cost of attendance there, BU would certainly become my top choice.

So wait you got 45k originally with a 3.93 167? I'm 3.92/165.. I would think that would at least get some? money.. but I called the other day and they said no $$ for me. I wonder if it would work to negotiate from no money to money.

jstn1104

Postby jstn1104 » Tue Mar 30, 2010 12:43 pm

xokel87 wrote:

So wait you got 45k originally with a 3.93 167? I'm 3.92/165.. I would think that would at least get some? money.. but I called the other day and they said no $$ for me. I wonder if it would work to negotiate from no money to money.

3.67/166 no $. I wrote them an email a couple months ago requesting they reconsider offering me a scholarship. No dice.

ryguy

Postby ryguy » Tue Mar 30, 2010 12:45 pm

cyh wrote:
painsinmysides wrote:Anyone know anything about how BU and Fordham compare for clerkships?

Also, what about BU's NYC placement?

+111

Huge concern for me.

I would think you need to call BU and find out.

sand87632

Postby sand87632 » Tue Mar 30, 2010 12:49 pm

jstn1104 wrote:
xokel87 wrote:

3.67/166 no $. I wrote them an email a couple months ago requesting they reconsider

offering me a scholarship. No dice.

I wrote immediately when I got acceptance letter asking for $. Didn't hear anything til yesterday. $30k. I still need more $ from them to make bu my top choice though.

sand87632

Postby sand87632 » Tue Mar 30, 2010 12:50 pm

ryguy wrote:
cyh wrote:
painsinmysides wrote:Anyone know anything about how BU and Fordham compare for clerkships?

+111

Huge concern for me.

I would think you need to call BU and find out.

Yeah, and then post what you find out!

Olive

Postby Olive » Tue Mar 30, 2010 1:20 pm

Waitlisted. :?

Veritas

Postby Veritas » Tue Mar 30, 2010 1:22 pm

Olive wrote:Waitlisted. :?

lol, are you freaking kidding me?
:roll: , they obviously know you are too good for them.

Olive

Postby Olive » Tue Mar 30, 2010 1:23 pm

Veritas wrote:
Olive wrote:Waitlisted. :?

lol, are you freaking kidding me?
:roll: , they obviously know you are too good for them.

<3

cardinalandgold

Postby cardinalandgold » Tue Mar 30, 2010 2:55 pm

Just withdrew from the waitlist. Good luck to those still waiting!

mikcou

Postby mikcou » Tue Mar 30, 2010 5:30 pm

Is anyone else still waiting for their financial aid offer?

holborn

Postby holborn » Tue Mar 30, 2010 5:33 pm

waitlisted? ok then.

getmetolawschool

Postby getmetolawschool » Tue Mar 30, 2010 5:40 pm

meee! they have had my stuff for well over a month ... what is taking so long?!

see18

Postby see18 » Tue Mar 30, 2010 5:47 pm

getmetolawschool wrote:

Still waiting too, and this is getting ridiculous. How can it take over a month to process this stuff? I heard back from other schools within a few days.

SkyRiver

Postby SkyRiver » Tue Mar 30, 2010 7:02 pm

So.... anyone else been complete since last October with no decision yet? I'm a pretty heavy splitter (BU undergrad with 2.99 in science, 174) with my heart set on attending BU this fall and the uncertainty is KILLING me and my lady. I'm interested in seeing what kind of applicants are in a similar position.

mikcou

Postby mikcou » Tue Mar 30, 2010 7:12 pm

see18 wrote:
getmetolawschool wrote:

Still waiting too, and this is getting ridiculous. How can it take over a month to process this stuff? I heard back from other schools within a few days.

Good to know there are others out there.

newyorker88

Postby newyorker88 » Tue Mar 30, 2010 10:58 pm

OneSixtySix wrote:
Cupidity wrote:
dakatz wrote:What I loved most about the ASD was the high level of interaction we had with professors and students. We didn't just have the student/faculty panels and formal sessions. The students and professors mingled with us during breakfast, sat with us during lunch, and were around all day. This gave all of us a ton of chances to prod them with any questions, and they were more than happy to answer very honestly, telling us the good as well as the not so good.

What amazed me, were not the comments of the students working the ASD (they always say nice things) but the comments of like-eleveator students. Seriously...If I were in an elevator going to class and 10 admitted students crushed me into the back corner-I'd be pissed....but they were all like "so, you guys having a great time" as we suffocated them.

Haha thats true.

Another thing that pushed me to BU were some of the responses I got from BC students when I visited and asked my standard "Why did you choose BC over BU" (or vice versa). A couple of the BC kids made snooty remarks about BU, and others had shallow reasoning about the aesthetics of the library and buildings (the latter of which I mentioned earlier and am guilty of considering to an extent).

When I asked BU kids that question, they responded with more intelligence and reasoning. Plus BC beat my alma mater in the Hockey East Quarterfinals a couple weeks ago :p

That is so annoying. I visited BC and prospective students kept bringing up BU. I got asked about 5 times. Did you apply to BU? They're probably annoyed with constantly being asked about that school, totally understandable. I was getting tired of it and I just experienced it for one day.

existenz

Postby existenz » Wed Mar 31, 2010 2:38 am

I'm still trying to figure out why BU hasn't made a decision on my file yet. I applied mid-Dec, numbers are in auto-admit territory, I've sent them an email expressing further interest, but still nothing. I have family reasons to consider BU over some of the schools I've been admitted to, but this wait is ridiculous. It's April for goodness' sake!

Part of me thinks they are just waiting for me to withdraw. I paid for that application so I'm not going anywhere.

Mattalones

Postby Mattalones » Wed Mar 31, 2010 3:44 am

Last edited by Mattalones on Wed Jun 09, 2010 2:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

Blindmelon

Postby Blindmelon » Wed Mar 31, 2010 9:13 am

Mattalones wrote:

I am in the same boat. PLEASE tell me things about this! All I have is that Fordham places a slightly higher percentage for Biglaw and does better in NYC, which comes from the NLJ250 chart that everyone has seen.

So, +12529450195791275182571.23

I need to find out as much about this as possible because of the seat deposit coming up.

If you want to keep this thread on topic, you can post on my other thread:

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=110747

BU places a higher % into big firms as of 2009 data - the corrected data has BU at around 35% for biglaw and Fordham around 29%. Fordham does do better for clerkships thought - but I would argue that BU is much better for federal government work (we sent about 3 to DOJ, 2 to SEC last year, 1 to a PMI, etc)/some PI.

BU sends about 30% of grads into NYC, so its not difficult to break into the city. The nice thing about BU is that if you can't get NYC biglaw, you can still push for Boston or even LA. Fordham you're pretty much stuck in NYC.

freebird

Postby freebird » Wed Mar 31, 2010 9:47 am

see18 wrote:
getmetolawschool wrote:

me too! i called the other day and they said they would hopefully be sending out my decision by the end of the week. seems to be taking a while as i was admitted in early december and sent everything in over a month of ago. FYI they said they only send financial aid info via snail mail.

schnauzerlover

Postby schnauzerlover » Wed Mar 31, 2010 9:51 am

freebird wrote:
see18 wrote:
getmetolawschool wrote:

me too! i called the other day and they said they would hopefully be sending out my decision by the end of the week. seems to be taking a while as i was admitted in early december and sent everything in over a month of ago. FYI they said they only send financial aid info via snail mail.

ME TOO!!!!! Tell me about the money.... still waiting..

getmetolawschool

Postby getmetolawschool » Wed Mar 31, 2010 11:28 am

just emailed and they said they are "hopefully" getting everyone's out this week ... sigh!

existenz

Postby existenz » Wed Mar 31, 2010 2:08 pm

WL'd today via email. Ridiculous YP move by BU.

Oh well, they win. I'm withdrawing.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”