BU! woot.

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
berkeleygrad09
Posts: 9
Joined: Thu Mar 25, 2010 11:24 pm

Re: BU! woot.

Postby berkeleygrad09 » Sun Mar 28, 2010 5:32 pm

thanks for the advice. i applied around thanksgiving so i guess that was kinda late. my other options are limited so i might just have to wait out this cycle and apply super early next cycle - I only applied to 9 schools. I'm on Reserve at Columbia (I have no idea how that happened) but i know that's not likely to happen
Last edited by berkeleygrad09 on Sun Mar 28, 2010 5:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.

prolyphek
Posts: 88
Joined: Wed Mar 03, 2010 12:59 am

Re: BU! woot.

Postby prolyphek » Sun Mar 28, 2010 5:37 pm

I agree. ASD was great! I also went to two additional optional events; the chat and chew and one for the public interest scholars which were both great as well!

I think the interaction with existing students and the faculty really won me over.

I came in a day early and had the chance to shadow a student prior to the events on Friday.

I wasn't happy about the tower at first but in hindsight it seems pretty convenient.

I put in my initial deposit so it will more than likely be BU for me!

User avatar
Mattalones
Posts: 537
Joined: Sun Dec 03, 2006 8:18 pm

Re: BU! woot.

Postby Mattalones » Sun Mar 28, 2010 8:14 pm

.
Last edited by Mattalones on Wed Jun 09, 2010 2:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

door10
Posts: 10
Joined: Mon Oct 12, 2009 1:51 pm

Re: BU! woot.

Postby door10 » Sun Mar 28, 2010 9:44 pm

My acceptance also phone call. They worked hard to get hold of me also, first called home then my cell. I believe they call unless you are international, then email?? Not sure they still call this late in the cycle tho, since they're busy w/ ASD etc, maybe via email...here's to hopin you get the call/positive email. Good Luck!

User avatar
Cupidity
Posts: 2214
Joined: Sun Jun 07, 2009 10:21 pm

Re: BU! woot.

Postby Cupidity » Sun Mar 28, 2010 11:45 pm

Seriously guys, greatest place on earth...anyone having any second thoughts needs to visit.

User avatar
84Sunbird2000
Posts: 756
Joined: Wed Oct 21, 2009 5:39 pm

Re: BU! woot.

Postby 84Sunbird2000 » Sun Mar 28, 2010 11:57 pm

Cupidity wrote:Seriously guys, greatest place on earth...anyone having any second thoughts needs to visit.


I'm going up for a solo visit on Wednesday (via Amtrak!). Do you really think that the ASD vibe that impressed you so much would come through without the programming?

I mean, Boston (at a 15k scholarship) would cost me 130k vs. 65k at W&M, 50k at W&L, and 40k at IUB? Will it really knock my socks off to that level of debt?

I realize this is a stupid line of questioning, in that I'm already planning on going up there and will see what I see...but I'm amazed at the strength of BU conviction that the ASD gave you and a few others.

dakatz
Posts: 2460
Joined: Sat Mar 29, 2008 4:19 pm

Re: BU! woot.

Postby dakatz » Mon Mar 29, 2010 12:02 am

What I loved most about the ASD was the high level of interaction we had with professors and students. We didn't just have the student/faculty panels and formal sessions. The students and professors mingled with us during breakfast, sat with us during lunch, and were around all day. This gave all of us a ton of chances to prod them with any questions, and they were more than happy to answer very honestly, telling us the good as well as the not so good.

User avatar
OneSixtySix
Posts: 121
Joined: Tue Jun 30, 2009 12:40 am

Re: BU! woot.

Postby OneSixtySix » Mon Mar 29, 2010 12:11 am

dakatz wrote: and they were more than happy to answer very honestly, telling us the good as well as the not so good.


I wish schools realized how far a little honesty can go.

I noticed that students, professors, and even Admissions folks were much more honest at BU than other schools. I felt like I had conversations with these people rather than sit on the other side of a sales pitch. The head of the Health Law program spoke with me for a solid 15 minutes about the program and opportunities at BU. That, along with a nifty letter in my mailbox informing me of a scholarship increase, has made BU a VERY attractive option. Still looking at WUSTL and waiting on word/$ from 2 other peer schools and one reach.

User avatar
Cupidity
Posts: 2214
Joined: Sun Jun 07, 2009 10:21 pm

Re: BU! woot.

Postby Cupidity » Mon Mar 29, 2010 12:16 am

dakatz wrote:What I loved most about the ASD was the high level of interaction we had with professors and students. We didn't just have the student/faculty panels and formal sessions. The students and professors mingled with us during breakfast, sat with us during lunch, and were around all day. This gave all of us a ton of chances to prod them with any questions, and they were more than happy to answer very honestly, telling us the good as well as the not so good.


What amazed me, were not the comments of the students working the ASD (they always say nice things) but the comments of like-eleveator students. Seriously...If I were in an elevator going to class and 10 admitted students crushed me into the back corner-I'd be pissed....but they were all like "so, you guys having a great time" as we suffocated them.

User avatar
Cupidity
Posts: 2214
Joined: Sun Jun 07, 2009 10:21 pm

Re: BU! woot.

Postby Cupidity » Mon Mar 29, 2010 12:18 am

84Sunbird2000 wrote:
Cupidity wrote:Seriously guys, greatest place on earth...anyone having any second thoughts needs to visit.


I'm going up for a solo visit on Wednesday (via Amtrak!). Do you really think that the ASD vibe that impressed you so much would come through without the programming?

I mean, Boston (at a 15k scholarship) would cost me 130k vs. 65k at W&M, 50k at W&L, and 40k at IUB? Will it really knock my socks off to that level of debt?

I realize this is a stupid line of questioning, in that I'm already planning on going up there and will see what I see...but I'm amazed at the strength of BU conviction that the ASD gave you and a few others.


I don't think it was just the ASD. I think it is just BU.

They are either the best school of those I have considered, or they do a damn good job of looking like it.

User avatar
OneSixtySix
Posts: 121
Joined: Tue Jun 30, 2009 12:40 am

Re: BU! woot.

Postby OneSixtySix » Mon Mar 29, 2010 12:21 am

Cupidity wrote:
dakatz wrote:What I loved most about the ASD was the high level of interaction we had with professors and students. We didn't just have the student/faculty panels and formal sessions. The students and professors mingled with us during breakfast, sat with us during lunch, and were around all day. This gave all of us a ton of chances to prod them with any questions, and they were more than happy to answer very honestly, telling us the good as well as the not so good.


What amazed me, were not the comments of the students working the ASD (they always say nice things) but the comments of like-eleveator students. Seriously...If I were in an elevator going to class and 10 admitted students crushed me into the back corner-I'd be pissed....but they were all like "so, you guys having a great time" as we suffocated them.


Haha thats true.

Another thing that pushed me to BU were some of the responses I got from BC students when I visited and asked my standard "Why did you choose BC over BU" (or vice versa). A couple of the BC kids made snooty remarks about BU, and others had shallow reasoning about the aesthetics of the library and buildings (the latter of which I mentioned earlier and am guilty of considering to an extent).

When I asked BU kids that question, they responded with more intelligence and reasoning. Plus BC beat my alma mater in the Hockey East Quarterfinals a couple weeks ago :p

User avatar
Cupidity
Posts: 2214
Joined: Sun Jun 07, 2009 10:21 pm

Re: BU! woot.

Postby Cupidity » Mon Mar 29, 2010 12:24 am

And again, everyone was hot.

User avatar
Interminable_Waiting
Posts: 342
Joined: Tue Dec 08, 2009 12:17 pm

Re: BU! woot.

Postby Interminable_Waiting » Mon Mar 29, 2010 8:20 am

20K a year. Still pretty sure I'm going with G-Town.

User avatar
Blindmelon
Posts: 1708
Joined: Thu Mar 26, 2009 11:13 am

Re: BU! woot.

Postby Blindmelon » Mon Mar 29, 2010 8:48 am

Cupidity wrote:And again, everyone was hot.


To add to that, BU is the more incestuous school I've ever been to. Everyone in my section paired up - by Thanksgiving I started dating the girl who sits a row ahead of me. There were at least 4 other couples in the section - its pretty nice.

getmetolawschool
Posts: 68
Joined: Thu Oct 22, 2009 1:38 pm

Re: BU! woot.

Postby getmetolawschool » Mon Mar 29, 2010 1:18 pm

Another thing that pushed me to BU were some of the responses I got from BC students when I visited and asked my standard "Why did you choose BC over BU" (or vice versa). A couple of the BC kids made snooty remarks about BU, and others had shallow reasoning about the aesthetics of the library and buildings (the latter of which I mentioned earlier and am guilty of considering to an extent).


I had the same experience when I visited both schools in Feb -- it COMPLETELY turned me off of attending BC!

dakatz
Posts: 2460
Joined: Sat Mar 29, 2008 4:19 pm

Re: BU! woot.

Postby dakatz » Mon Mar 29, 2010 1:21 pm

After visiting both BU and BC, I was also very turned off by the very apparent inferiority complex at BC. The students and admins kept saying how they stack up to BU, and how they are so comparable, or how they exceed BU. At BU, they don't give BC a passing thought. It was actually kinda refreshing to not have that attitude at BU. It says a lot about the overall school when you hear such resentment so often.

Cale39
Posts: 99
Joined: Tue Dec 08, 2009 9:34 pm

Re: BU! woot.

Postby Cale39 » Mon Mar 29, 2010 1:24 pm

WL'ed today via email

162 / 3.74

getmetolawschool
Posts: 68
Joined: Thu Oct 22, 2009 1:38 pm

Re: BU! woot.

Postby getmetolawschool » Mon Mar 29, 2010 1:24 pm

i'm so glad other people had this experience .. i was worried it was just me! i found myself feeling very defensive towards bu even though i'm not a current student! haha

door10
Posts: 10
Joined: Mon Oct 12, 2009 1:51 pm

Re: BU! woot.

Postby door10 » Mon Mar 29, 2010 2:22 pm

Same

newyorklaw23
Posts: 82
Joined: Sun Oct 18, 2009 3:52 pm

Re: BU! woot.

Postby newyorklaw23 » Mon Mar 29, 2010 2:24 pm

I was admitted about 2 weeks ago, but haven't heard a peep about merit aid/financial aid, though I have recieved it from many similarly ranked schools. Should i contact the school? Or just wait it out?

User avatar
Cupidity
Posts: 2214
Joined: Sun Jun 07, 2009 10:21 pm

Re: BU! woot.

Postby Cupidity » Mon Mar 29, 2010 2:27 pm

getmetolawschool wrote:
Another thing that pushed me to BU were some of the responses I got from BC students when I visited and asked my standard "Why did you choose BC over BU" (or vice versa). A couple of the BC kids made snooty remarks about BU, and others had shallow reasoning about the aesthetics of the library and buildings (the latter of which I mentioned earlier and am guilty of considering to an extent).


I had the same experience when I visited both schools in Feb -- it COMPLETELY turned me off of attending BC!


Every time someone asked any admin faculty about usnews rank, the asnwer was allways essentially..."Fuck USnews, we rock!"

cmarc9276
Posts: 3
Joined: Sat Feb 27, 2010 4:18 pm

Re: BU! woot.

Postby cmarc9276 » Mon Mar 29, 2010 2:31 pm

I went to BU for my undergrad, I have a Master's degree, and my stats are 168 LSAT, 3.82 GPA. I applied late (mid-February) because I took the LSAT in Feb 2010 for the first time. I haven't heard anything yet, despite having called twice now. I have another offer that I have to respond to by April 1st.

Should I assume I'm not getting any merit aid at this point? Thoughts?

ilovelawapps
Posts: 137
Joined: Fri Nov 14, 2008 7:49 pm

Re: BU! woot.

Postby ilovelawapps » Mon Mar 29, 2010 5:19 pm

cmarc9276 wrote:I went to BU for my undergrad, I have a Master's degree, and my stats are 168 LSAT, 3.82 GPA. I applied late (mid-February) because I took the LSAT in Feb 2010 for the first time. I haven't heard anything yet, despite having called twice now. I have another offer that I have to respond to by April 1st.

Should I assume I'm not getting any merit aid at this point? Thoughts?


Granted Feb is pretty late, but with a 168, 3.8 I HIGHLY doubt you'd get rejected. If they still have spots open for WL'd people then they certainly have a seat for you. Idk about getting any scholarship money though?

ilovelawapps
Posts: 137
Joined: Fri Nov 14, 2008 7:49 pm

Re: BU! woot.

Postby ilovelawapps » Mon Mar 29, 2010 5:24 pm

I'm not sure if this has been mentioned before, but I got scholarship info today from BU, 15K per year as long as I stay in good academic standing. Does anyone know exactly what that entails? Should I try to negotiate the requirement out?

dakatz
Posts: 2460
Joined: Sat Mar 29, 2008 4:19 pm

Re: BU! woot.

Postby dakatz » Mon Mar 29, 2010 5:28 pm

ilovelawapps wrote:I'm not sure if this has been mentioned before, but I got scholarship info today from BU, 15K per year as long as I stay in good academic standing. Does anyone know exactly what that entails? Should I try to negotiate the requirement out?


Thats pretty much as good a requirement as you could possibly get. Good academic standing pretty much means as long as you aren't bottom of the class and failing out. I'm not sure what the actual GPA figure is, but its really low. I talked to them about it, and they said they make it so easy to keep the scholarship in order to take pressure off the students, since law school is stressful enough. Compare that to schools that make you keep a high number and then stack the sections as to screw you over. I'd say BU is very considerate with those requirements.




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”