BU! woot.

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
AllBusiness

Re: BU! woot.

Postby AllBusiness » Tue Mar 09, 2010 4:47 pm

I got in at BU about six weeks ago. My acceptance letter is dated February 2. They offered me the 45K merit scholarship too. (That's 45K over three years, of course.)

Questions (possibly dumb questions):

1.) Any strong opinions on the question of BU v. GWU...?
2.) How does the whole financial aid negotiation process generally go? I'm thinking I might want to ask BU whether it'd be able/willing to meet some of my other, higher offers.
Last edited by AllBusiness on Tue Mar 09, 2010 4:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AllBusiness

Postby AllBusiness » Tue Mar 09, 2010 4:48 pm

Also, nice post-its. Real class, BU.

getmetolawschool

Postby getmetolawschool » Tue Mar 09, 2010 4:49 pm

annoying question but: any gals going to the nyc reception on the 11th and want to share what you were thinking of wearing? my current job in publishing allows me to wear jeans most days but i'm thinking that isn't entirely appropriate in this case!

pollaclc

Postby pollaclc » Tue Mar 09, 2010 4:55 pm

getmetolawschool wrote:annoying question but: any gals going to the nyc reception on the 11th and want to share what you were thinking of wearing? my current job in publishing allows me to wear jeans most days but i'm thinking that isn't entirely appropriate in this case!

i dont think jeans would be inappropriate, but i think dress-pants, a skirt, or dress would be a better bet. i'd go with the same type of thing as you'd wear for on-campus ASDs and tours.

apples

Postby apples » Tue Mar 09, 2010 4:59 pm

pollaclc wrote:
getmetolawschool wrote:annoying question but: any gals going to the nyc reception on the 11th and want to share what you were thinking of wearing? my current job in publishing allows me to wear jeans most days but i'm thinking that isn't entirely appropriate in this case!

i dont think jeans would be inappropriate, but i think dress-pants, a skirt, or dress would be a better bet. i'd go with the same type of thing as you'd wear for on-campus ASDs and tours.

wait. we're supposed to dress bus. cas. for ASDs/ASWs?

getmetolawschool

Postby getmetolawschool » Tue Mar 09, 2010 5:02 pm

i don't think that's necessary -- i did jeans for my tour and class sit-in at bu. but since this is at a law firm i was thinking it's more of a business dress type thing, no?

pollaclc

Postby pollaclc » Tue Mar 09, 2010 5:02 pm

apples wrote:
pollaclc wrote:

i haven't been to an ASW, so I can't speak on that (though I recall a schedule for some school's that instructed dress should be casual on the saturday, i think), but so far on ASDs and tours, I have seen one girl in jeans

edit: so far i've only visited southern schools. making a generaliztion, people in the south tend to dress more formally than people in the north, so i guess that needs to be taken into consideration with my experience/advice
Last edited by pollaclc on Tue Mar 09, 2010 5:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

forty-two

Postby forty-two » Tue Mar 09, 2010 5:20 pm

pollaclc wrote:i haven't been to an ASW, so I can't speak on that (though I recall a schedule for some school's that instructed dress should be casual on the saturday, i think), but so far on ASDs and tours, I have seen one girl in jeans

edit: so far i've only visited southern schools. making a generaliztion, people in the south tend to dress less casually than people in the north, so i guess that needs to be taken into consideration with my experience/advice

The southern thing makes sense. I've only visited California schools so far, and the standard has been dark jeans, boots/flats, and a sweater. Maybe the Northeast is somewhere in between?

utcris410

Postby utcris410 » Tue Mar 09, 2010 5:32 pm

getmetolawschool wrote:

i don't think that's necessary -- i did jeans for my tour and class sit-in at bu. but since this is at a law firm i was thinking it's more of a business dress type thing, no?

I went to the one in Texas. I wore dress pants and a button down. A few people were more dressed up, a few less dressy. Everyone seemed comfortable! :)

vkw104

Postby vkw104 » Tue Mar 09, 2010 5:42 pm

In case anyone was wondering, I talked to the financial aid people and they said the aid packages would be coming out these next two weeks, most likely towards the latter half of next week.

mikcou

Postby mikcou » Tue Mar 09, 2010 6:22 pm

vkw104 wrote:In case anyone was wondering, I talked to the financial aid people and they said the aid packages would be coming out these next two weeks, most likely towards the latter half of next week.

Great, looking forward to it. Thanks for sharing

jks289

Postby jks289 » Tue Mar 09, 2010 6:23 pm

mikcou wrote:
vkw104 wrote:In case anyone was wondering, I talked to the financial aid people and they said the aid packages would be coming out these next two weeks, most likely towards the latter half of next week.

Thanks for calling and for letting us know! I am really nervous to see mine.

mikcou

Postby mikcou » Tue Mar 09, 2010 6:27 pm

jks289 wrote:
mikcou wrote:

+1, I'm trying to make the BC/BU decision so I'd like to be able to compare my offers.

jks289

Postby jks289 » Tue Mar 09, 2010 6:43 pm

mikcou wrote:
jks289 wrote:
mikcou wrote:

+1, I'm trying to make the BC/BU decision so I'd like to be able to compare my offers.

I am wondering if I should call and make sure they know about my LSAT increase and other offers. I am worried since their policy is to "not negotiate." Is the not negotiating policy something we have heard directly from the school, or is that just an rumor flying around based on people's past experiences?

Stephanie13

Postby Stephanie13 » Wed Mar 10, 2010 6:25 pm

I'm dying to hear back from BU already! If I can just know whether I'm in or not, I can start making my decisions! Also.. I'm afraid to call admissions to ask when we'll hear about decisions.. is that weird?! I'm afraid they'll get annoyed and then immediately move my application into the reject pile :lol:

Stephanie13

Postby Stephanie13 » Thu Mar 11, 2010 2:11 pm

Why is this thread so dead!?

utcris410

Postby utcris410 » Thu Mar 11, 2010 2:37 pm

Stephanie13 wrote:Why is this thread so dead!?

No status checker to obsess over.

Stephanie13

Postby Stephanie13 » Thu Mar 11, 2010 2:40 pm

utcris410 wrote:
Stephanie13 wrote:Why is this thread so dead!?

No status checker to obsess over.

Mhh good observation. It just makes it all the more awful to be kept in the dark!

dakatz

Postby dakatz » Thu Mar 11, 2010 2:42 pm

So anyone else going to the ASD on March 26th?

eru2

Postby eru2 » Thu Mar 11, 2010 2:48 pm

AllBusiness wrote:I got in at BU about six weeks ago. My acceptance letter is dated February 2. They offered me the 45K merit scholarship too. (That's 45K over three years, of course.)

Questions (possibly dumb questions):

1.) Any strong opinions on the question of BU v. GWU...?
2.) How does the whole financial aid negotiation process generally go? I'm thinking I might want to ask BU whether it'd be able/willing to meet some of my other, higher offers.

Responding to the second question here... I have tried the negotiation at two schools with BU being one of them. They gave me a canned sort of answer that they were in the process of looking at need-based scholarships at the moment so to do that instead. Those were due by March 1st though so I don't know how that is going to help you. I received the 15k a year from them as well. That being said, I did write to another school (the letter was a little different and I sent it later) and, to my surprise, I was given an extra 10k a year guaranteed. That letter became worth 30k over years. lol

I had heard that BU is not one to give away anymore money and, in my case, that rang true.

Stephanie13

Postby Stephanie13 » Thu Mar 11, 2010 2:50 pm

dakatz wrote:So anyone else going to the ASD on March 26th?

I wish, but I haven't been accepted yet (hopefully). But I've noticed there are several ASD's on March 26th. I know I'll be at WUSTL's ASD on that day and I think Texas' ASD is on that day as well.

prolyphek

Postby prolyphek » Thu Mar 11, 2010 2:51 pm

I'll be there

dakatz

Postby dakatz » Thu Mar 11, 2010 2:52 pm

prolyphek wrote:

I'll be there

Nice. Where you staying? Need any info on Boston? I went to undergrad there, and am probably staying with some friends who still go there.

utcris410

Postby utcris410 » Thu Mar 11, 2010 3:04 pm

I am!

prolyphek

Postby prolyphek » Thu Mar 11, 2010 3:12 pm

dakatz wrote:
prolyphek wrote:

I'll be there

Nice. Where you staying? Need any info on Boston? I went to undergrad there, and am probably staying with some friends who still go there.

Not sure yet, I know the school recommends some hotels so I was going to call some today at try to get a rate and then maybe bid on price line to get a better one.

Do you know what hotels are located closest to the school? Is the school far from the airport (they don't recommend we rent cars)

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”