BU! woot.

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
User avatar
JusticeHarlan

Gold
Posts: 1509
Joined: Tue Dec 15, 2009 2:56 pm

Re: BU! woot.

Postby JusticeHarlan » Sun Feb 28, 2010 8:53 pm

Cupidity wrote:
CardinalRules wrote:
Cupidity wrote::roll: Princeton Review's Law Schools rankings book...... that ranks BU btwn #10--->#1 regularly


Got it! The only rankings of which I knew were USNWR. Sorry for the confusion!


Princeton review has about 10 categorical ratings, BU crushes several of them. Top for best classroom experience and best faculty, also high ranked for job prospects, out of 177 schools included.

Just so we get a sense of how accurate these rankings are, the Princeton Review best career rankings I have in front of me (2009 version) place BC at 5, BU at 10, and leaves Columbia Law School off completely. Take that for what its worth.

User avatar
CardinalRules

Gold
Posts: 2332
Joined: Wed Nov 18, 2009 5:20 pm

Re: BU! woot.

Postby CardinalRules » Sun Feb 28, 2010 8:54 pm

JusticeHarlan wrote:
Cupidity wrote:
CardinalRules wrote:
Cupidity wrote::roll: Princeton Review's Law Schools rankings book...... that ranks BU btwn #10--->#1 regularly


Got it! The only rankings of which I knew were USNWR. Sorry for the confusion!


Princeton review has about 10 categorical ratings, BU crushes several of them. Top for best classroom experience and best faculty, also high ranked for job prospects, out of 177 schools included.

Just so we get a sense of how accurate these rankings are, the Princeton Review best career rankings I have in front of me (2009 version) place BC at 5, BU at 10, and leaves Columbia Law School off completely. Take that for what its worth.


They're more justifiable than the Cooley rankings, anyway.

bball999

New
Posts: 23
Joined: Tue Dec 29, 2009 8:02 pm

Re: BU! woot.

Postby bball999 » Sun Feb 28, 2010 11:29 pm

Cupidity wrote:They're more justifiable than the Cooley rankings, anyway.


Conspiracy theories about the moon landing are more justifiable than the Cooley rankings.

User avatar
84Sunbird2000

Silver
Posts: 756
Joined: Wed Oct 21, 2009 5:39 pm

Re: BU! woot.

Postby 84Sunbird2000 » Sun Feb 28, 2010 11:39 pm

BU is really amazing for job prospects, though. 2007: 99.1 percent of graduates employed......AT GRADUATION.
I just think that I would get bummed out going to class in that building every day.

dakatz

Gold
Posts: 2422
Joined: Sat Mar 29, 2008 4:19 pm

Re: BU! woot.

Postby dakatz » Sun Feb 28, 2010 11:43 pm

84Sunbird2000 wrote:BU is really amazing for job prospects, though. 2007: 99.1 percent of graduates employed......AT GRADUATION.
I just think that I would get bummed out going to class in that building every day.


Though the view from that building on the upper floors is absolutely amazing. I think people seem to forget about this when they always describe the tower as negative.

moonmaster3

New
Posts: 100
Joined: Wed Jan 28, 2009 1:56 pm

Re: BU! woot.

Postby moonmaster3 » Mon Mar 01, 2010 12:39 am

84Sunbird2000 wrote:BU is really amazing for job prospects, though. 2007: 99.1 percent of graduates employed......AT GRADUATION.
I just think that I would get bummed out going to class in that building every day.


Those statistics are skewed...does it tell you how many people took the survey?

User avatar
Cupidity

Gold
Posts: 2214
Joined: Sun Jun 07, 2009 10:21 pm

Re: BU! woot.

Postby Cupidity » Mon Mar 01, 2010 12:45 am

100% reporting.

Yeah.

I love the tower.

fomenting

New
Posts: 18
Joined: Wed Feb 10, 2010 7:35 pm

Re: BU! woot.

Postby fomenting » Mon Mar 01, 2010 12:47 am

so...i only post occasionally

but:

I got into BU with 90k, and just got into berkeley also. Where should i go?

User avatar
Cupidity

Gold
Posts: 2214
Joined: Sun Jun 07, 2009 10:21 pm

Re: BU! woot.

Postby Cupidity » Mon Mar 01, 2010 12:52 am

fomenting wrote:so...i only post occasionally

but:

I got into BU with 90k, and just got into berkeley also. Where should i go?


wow 90k....thats hard, everyone on this board will say berkeley, but seriously consider having like no debt.

User avatar
John J. Rambo, Esq.

Bronze
Posts: 241
Joined: Thu Nov 12, 2009 1:04 am

Re: BU! woot.

Postby John J. Rambo, Esq. » Mon Mar 01, 2010 1:03 am

Cupidity wrote:
fomenting wrote:so...i only post occasionally

but:

I got into BU with 90k, and just got into berkeley also. Where should i go?


wow 90k....thats hard, everyone on this board will say berkeley, but seriously consider having like no debt.


Also seriously consider Berkeley's kickass LRAP... if you're into public interest stuff.

fomenting

New
Posts: 18
Joined: Wed Feb 10, 2010 7:35 pm

Re: BU! woot.

Postby fomenting » Mon Mar 01, 2010 1:07 am

whats hte terms on their LRAP program? I don't understand it from the website.

User avatar
John J. Rambo, Esq.

Bronze
Posts: 241
Joined: Thu Nov 12, 2009 1:04 am

Re: BU! woot.

Postby John J. Rambo, Esq. » Mon Mar 01, 2010 1:16 am

I think Boalt expects you to contribute 35% of your income exceeding 65k. If you make 65k, you pay 0 in loans.

Judging by its website, BU barely has an LRAP program. This is a big problem for PI students.

User avatar
CardinalRules

Gold
Posts: 2332
Joined: Wed Nov 18, 2009 5:20 pm

Re: BU! woot.

Postby CardinalRules » Mon Mar 01, 2010 2:28 am

Berkeley in a flash. T6 >>> #20, unless you really want New England.

User avatar
OneKnight

Bronze
Posts: 426
Joined: Fri Oct 16, 2009 9:00 pm

Re: BU! woot.

Postby OneKnight » Mon Mar 01, 2010 2:53 am

Berkeley.

I really do like BU (and Boston as well!), but even if your academic experience is similar your career prospects out of Berkeley will be better - especially if you'd like to have a more portable degree. BU places very well in the Northeast, from the data I've seen, but Berkeley places well pretty much anywhere.
That said, if you're extremely debt averse and not considering the PI/LRAP route, I wouldn't blame you for taking the $$. It's a question I'm dealing with right now for UVA vs. BU$$ (though I'm leaning towards C'ville at the moment).

savagecheater

Bronze
Posts: 243
Joined: Wed Dec 02, 2009 6:51 pm

Re: BU! woot.

Postby savagecheater » Mon Mar 01, 2010 2:54 pm

bad idea to call and find out where my app is? just curious about the status

User avatar
Interminable_Waiting

Bronze
Posts: 342
Joined: Tue Dec 08, 2009 12:17 pm

Re: BU! woot.

Postby Interminable_Waiting » Mon Mar 01, 2010 2:58 pm

I've called twice after applying in late December. The first time I was told it was pending decision. The second time I was put on hold for a few minutes, then asked if it made sense that my application went complete on 2/23. I said no. I was apologized to and told I should have a decision shortly.

Finger crossed - I lose service all the time at work, so I could have been admitted already, for all I know.

User avatar
cboo

New
Posts: 44
Joined: Mon Jan 25, 2010 8:03 pm

Re: BU! woot.

Postby cboo » Mon Mar 01, 2010 3:06 pm

Every day, I wait for BU to call. Today I received a call from (617) while I was in a meeting and had to wait an hour before I could check my voicemail. Instead of paying attention to the rest of my meeting I daydreamed about what I hoped was an acceptance voicemail from BU. Turns out it was BC calling. Gaah! Don't get me wrong. I love BC and I'm very glad that I was accepted, but I've been accepted for weeks now and all I want is for BU to call me!

User avatar
even2flow

Silver
Posts: 592
Joined: Fri Sep 25, 2009 5:03 pm

Re: BU! woot.

Postby even2flow » Mon Mar 01, 2010 3:09 pm

cboo wrote:Every day, I wait for BU to call. Today I received a call from (617) while I was in a meeting and had to wait an hour before I could check my voicemail. Instead of paying attention to the rest of my meeting I daydreamed about what I hoped was an acceptance voicemail from BU. Turns out it was BC calling. Gaah! Don't get me wrong. I love BC and I'm very glad that I was accepted, but I've been accepted for weeks now and all I want is for BU to call me!


Ha, while I do appreciate your frustration, and am in the same boat everytime I get a 617 call (which is often since I live in Boston), part of me kind of hates you for the statement in bold. :wink:

User avatar
Padimud

Bronze
Posts: 239
Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2009 3:06 pm

Re: BU! woot.

Postby Padimud » Mon Mar 01, 2010 3:11 pm

Dear BU:

I am sorry I had to withdraw this morning, but your lack of giving me a scholarship pushed me to pursue other offers. Please give my seat to someone from TLS.

Done with you,

Padimud

pstars

New
Posts: 7
Joined: Thu Jan 07, 2010 1:05 pm

Re: BU! woot.

Postby pstars » Mon Mar 01, 2010 3:49 pm

BU people... was your acceptance in a big or a standard size envelope?

User avatar
utcris410

Bronze
Posts: 465
Joined: Sat Aug 08, 2009 5:37 pm

Re: BU! woot.

Postby utcris410 » Mon Mar 01, 2010 3:49 pm

pstars wrote:BU people... was your acceptance in a big or a standard size envelope?

big

pstars

New
Posts: 7
Joined: Thu Jan 07, 2010 1:05 pm

Re: BU! woot.

Postby pstars » Mon Mar 01, 2010 3:52 pm

utcris410 wrote:
pstars wrote:BU people... was your acceptance in a big or a standard size envelope?

big


thanks!

User avatar
Interminable_Waiting

Bronze
Posts: 342
Joined: Tue Dec 08, 2009 12:17 pm

Re: BU! woot.

Postby Interminable_Waiting » Mon Mar 01, 2010 3:56 pm

In via phonecall!!!!!! I did miss it due to being at work.

If I get a big scholly I think I will go here; I have lived in New England my whole life and would like to stay. Hoping for $$$.

(Also, I think this demonstrates the importance of calling, especially for people with numbers similar to mine. They either lost my file or were waiting for me to withdraw, because I called last Friday and was let in today)

User avatar
cboo

New
Posts: 44
Joined: Mon Jan 25, 2010 8:03 pm

Re: BU! woot.

Postby cboo » Mon Mar 01, 2010 4:02 pm

Interminable_Waiting wrote:In via phonecall!!!!!! I did miss it due to being at work.

If I get a big scholly I think I will go here; I have lived in New England my whole life and would like to stay. Hoping for $$$.

(Also, I think this demonstrates the importance of calling, especially for people with numbers similar to mine. They either lost my file or were waiting for me to withdraw, because I called last Friday and was let in today)


Do you mind if I ask when you went complete and what you said when you called? Thanks!

User avatar
even2flow

Silver
Posts: 592
Joined: Fri Sep 25, 2009 5:03 pm

Re: BU! woot.

Postby even2flow » Mon Mar 01, 2010 4:02 pm

Interminable_Waiting wrote:In via phonecall!!!!!! I did miss it due to being at work.

If I get a big scholly I think I will go here; I have lived in New England my whole life and would like to stay. Hoping for $$$.

(Also, I think this demonstrates the importance of calling, especially for people with numbers similar to mine. They either lost my file or were waiting for me to withdraw, because I called last Friday and was let in today)


Congrats!

I only went complete early last month so I'm guessing calling 1 month later wouldn't get me too far, but I will definitely be bugging them if I still hear nothing by April...



Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists?

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 11 guests