BU! woot.

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
dakatz

Re: BU! woot.

Postby dakatz » Wed Nov 25, 2009 12:31 am

Exciting to hear that acceptance calls are going out. Congrats to those who have gotten in so far. I had the chance to tour BU Law in a 1 on 1 tour and I was pretty impressed with everything overall. Obviously the facility isn't the prettiest thing, but I guess thats not the most important thing in the end. The school really seems like a great place and I will jump for joy if I get that call.

pikalove

Postby pikalove » Wed Nov 25, 2009 11:39 am

Anyone hear from BU yet today?? Any phone calls........ anything???

bullfighter

Postby bullfighter » Wed Nov 25, 2009 11:45 am

Does anybody screen their calls and not answer when you get calls from schools? I remember last year getting a call from a school that I was unprepared for and they grilled me with questions about their school and my interest for like 40 minutes. I answered in the middle of a movie. I am just saying, when that Boston area code comes up, I am hiding.

AlanShore

Postby AlanShore » Wed Nov 25, 2009 11:47 am

bullfighter wrote:Does anybody screen their calls and not answer when you get calls from schools? I remember last year getting a call from a school that I was unprepared for and they grilled me with questions about their school and my interest for like 40 minutes. I answered in the middle of a movie. I am just saying, when that Boston area code comes up, I am hiding.

are you serious.....? did they then offer you an acceptance??

YellowCake

Postby YellowCake » Wed Nov 25, 2009 11:54 am

pikalove wrote:Anyone hear from BU yet today?? Any phone calls........ anything???

No, but I have a hard time believing they are done making calls, considering only a handful of people heard yesterday. Hopefully they'll call some more this afternoon.

bullfighter

Postby bullfighter » Wed Nov 25, 2009 11:55 am

AlanShore wrote:are you serious.....? did they then offer you an acceptance??

Serious. I was at the theater and so excited about the prospect of a school calling me that I stepped out to take it. I then couldn't say, "I'm at the movies, can I call you back?" as you can probably imagine. I missed the rest of the movie, learned more about the school (which I was pretty oblivious about, I had a fee waiver and went with it but hadn't done too much research and didn't have internet handy), and then went outside and thought that my tire was flat which was the only thing that ended our conversation. I did end up getting accepted w/ good schollys, but I'm just saying beware! hah, it wasn't boston though, but I will be careful if they are doing phone acceptances. Wait for that voice-mail.

Veritas

Postby Veritas » Wed Nov 25, 2009 11:56 am

YellowCake wrote:
pikalove wrote:Anyone hear from BU yet today?? Any phone calls........ anything???

No, but I have a hard time believing they are done making calls, considering only a handful of people heard yesterday. Hopefully they'll call some more this afternoon.

ya, plus it's much earlier than when they started calling yesterday.

puppleberry finn

Postby puppleberry finn » Wed Nov 25, 2009 11:58 am

Veritas wrote:
YellowCake wrote:

Or maybe they are dramatically reducing their class size this year. to five.

actually it would be kinda cool to get a JD in the same model as PhD programs.

Veritas

Postby Veritas » Wed Nov 25, 2009 11:58 am

puppins wrote:
Veritas wrote:
YellowCake wrote:

Or maybe they are dramatically reducing their class size this year. to five.

:shock: :| :( :cry:

you crush this young boy's hopes. omg you are SO mean

YellowCake

Postby YellowCake » Wed Nov 25, 2009 11:59 am

puppins wrote: Or maybe they are dramatically reducing their class size this year. to five.

Student:faculty ratio ftw!

puppleberry finn

Postby puppleberry finn » Wed Nov 25, 2009 12:00 pm

Veritas wrote: :shock: :| :( :cry:

rumor has it, I make you cry on a daily basis.

Veritas

Postby Veritas » Wed Nov 25, 2009 12:02 pm

puppins wrote:
Veritas wrote: :shock: :| :( :cry:

rumor has it, I make you cry on a daily basis.

:shock: no!

:cry: .....don't look....

UFMatt

Postby UFMatt » Wed Nov 25, 2009 12:04 pm

puppins wrote:Or maybe they are dramatically reducing their class size this year. to five.

Be careful what you wish for! After two years you have a qualifying exam (typically a written portion followed by a long proposal presentation that your committee gets to grill you about). If you pass that, then you're a PhD candidate. After that you have a number of years before you finally graduate. If you're good/lucky you'll get out in less than 5 total years.

The PhD market is also quite flooded. I once calculated that it would only take 3 years worth of life science PhDs to completely restock every faculty position in the US.

puppleberry finn

Postby puppleberry finn » Wed Nov 25, 2009 12:06 pm

UFMatt wrote:
puppins wrote:Or maybe they are dramatically reducing their class size this year. to five.

Be careful what you wish for! After two years you have a qualifying exam (typically a written portion followed by a long proposal presentation that your committee gets to grill you about). If you pass that, then you're a PhD candidate. After that you have a number of years before you finally graduate. If you're good/lucky you'll get out in less than 5 total years.

The PhD market is also quite flooded. I once calculated that it would only take 3 years worth of life science PhDs to completely restock every faculty position in the US.

yeah I am familiar with the process. I stand by my original statement.

Also, the PhD market being flooded doesn't affect you (in this hypothetical) because you are still getting a JD. In fact, this process would help de-flood the JD market.

bullfighter

Postby bullfighter » Wed Nov 25, 2009 12:08 pm

UFMatt wrote:The PhD market is also quite flooded. I once calculated that it would only take 3 years worth of life science PhDs to completely restock every faculty position in the US.

when I was a little boy I lived on a farm that flooded every rainy season. The ants would climb on top of each other to get over the water. Of course the ones on the bottom died while the ones on the top survived until the next flood. That was good to keep in mind when considering a phd and now law school. Keeps you from freaking out, and hey even if I don't succeed at least somebody can climb on my shoulders or the shoulders of the guy on my shoulders and live.

Notor

Postby Notor » Wed Nov 25, 2009 12:09 pm

UFMatt wrote:

PhD market is incredibly flooded. For instance, look at the career placement statistics for top english programs, such as Harvard, Princeton, etc. They don't even have close to 100% tenure-track placement, and they are the absolute best schools. To make a comparison, it would be like if HYS had the job placement stats of Capital law. When you go to the absolute best school in your field and can't get the job you want, it doesn't say much about the stability of your field.

sckon

Postby sckon » Wed Nov 25, 2009 12:11 pm

bullfighter

Postby bullfighter » Wed Nov 25, 2009 12:13 pm

sckon wrote:Image

That is true, but BU adcomms were the engineers.

Notor

Postby Notor » Wed Nov 25, 2009 12:14 pm

This thread needed to get derailed. We sounded like a bunch of sad 13 year old girls whining about when that cute boy is going to call.

Veritas

Postby Veritas » Wed Nov 25, 2009 12:15 pm

Notor wrote:This thread needed to get derailed. We sounded like a bunch of sad 13 year old girls whining about when that cute boy is going to call.

call me cute boy! call me! :cry:

Cupidity

Postby Cupidity » Wed Nov 25, 2009 12:16 pm

I haven't even gotten a complete email :cry: 11/11 submit.

I applied to 13 schools, BU/BC/Cornell are my three top choices....

Guess which 3 schools I'm not complete at?

FML FML FML

puppleberry finn

Postby puppleberry finn » Wed Nov 25, 2009 12:17 pm

I really think you guys are missing the point. If Harvard only admited, say, 15 people this year, don't you think those 15 people would be sooo set? If every school did that, there would be a serious drop in the number of JDs graduating, which would mean a serious increase in placement (assuming jobs stayed the same) for those who actually do get a JD.

puppleberry finn

Postby puppleberry finn » Wed Nov 25, 2009 12:17 pm

Cupidity wrote:I haven't even gotten a complete email :cry: 11/11 submit.

I applied to 13 schools, BU/BC/Cornell are my three top choices....

Guess which 3 schools I'm not complete at?

FML FML FML

Did you do EA at BC and Cornell?

bullfighter

Postby bullfighter » Wed Nov 25, 2009 12:18 pm

:cry:

thanks sckon.... thanks a lot... now everyone is crying again... this thread would be arranged in an awkward circle of chairs and involve bob from fight club.

YellowCake

Postby YellowCake » Wed Nov 25, 2009 12:19 pm

puppins wrote:I really think you guys are missing the point. If Harvard only admited, say, 15 people this year, don't you think those 15 people would be sooo set? If every school did that, there would be a serious drop in the number of JDs graduating, which would mean a serious increase in placement (assuming jobs stayed the same) for those who actually do get a JD.

No, that point is well taken. But that is not the reality of the PhD market, which was your original comparison.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”