BU! woot.

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Geist13

Silver
Posts: 739
Joined: Sat Oct 10, 2009 3:21 pm

Re: BU! woot.

Postby Geist13 » Mon Jan 25, 2010 8:33 pm

managamy wrote:
Notor wrote:
Geist13 wrote:Since I have been complete since 11/20 and have yet to hear, is it pretty much a given that I am WL/reject? 167/3.09.

No idea, but I was complete much earlier than that. Looks like bad news


I have been complete since the second week of November and have heard nothing.


Slightly encouraging since LSN suggests that BU has not practiced YP in recent years. Though maybe they're just trying to decide if they can afford to give you two full scholarships.

User avatar
cherryalamode

Bronze
Posts: 301
Joined: Fri Jan 22, 2010 10:26 pm

Re: BU! woot.

Postby cherryalamode » Mon Jan 25, 2010 8:41 pm

What is YP?

User avatar
AlanShore

Silver
Posts: 1498
Joined: Wed Jul 02, 2008 4:21 pm

Re: BU! woot.

Postby AlanShore » Mon Jan 25, 2010 8:42 pm

cherryalamode wrote:What is YP?

yield protection.

managamy, my SO also hasnt heard back yet and he has very high numbers too. (not as high as yours but well over 75th on both)

User avatar
CardinalRules

Gold
Posts: 2332
Joined: Wed Nov 18, 2009 5:20 pm

Re: BU! woot.

Postby CardinalRules » Mon Jan 25, 2010 8:44 pm

cherryalamode wrote:What is YP?


Yield Protect. It's a system in which law schools wait-list applicants whose numbers are so far above both 75th percentiles that it's hard to imagine that they would attend, considering that they would probably be accepted at several higher-ranked schools. If a school accepts numerous applicants who don't attend, its yield quotient drops and its ranking is endangered. I am in the potential YP category for BU, but they don't seem to practice it on a regular basis; some schools don't.

User avatar
calicocat

Silver
Posts: 1089
Joined: Wed Oct 28, 2009 1:29 pm

Re: BU! woot.

Postby calicocat » Mon Jan 25, 2010 8:58 pm

Managamy did you get into BU too? Should definitely go there imo

somethingclever

New
Posts: 70
Joined: Fri Dec 12, 2008 3:44 pm

Re: BU! woot.

Postby somethingclever » Mon Jan 25, 2010 8:59 pm

I was accepted in November. Just got a letter in the mail today offering $45,000 of merit aid over three years. Not too shabby.

Apparently the aid is still coming. :D

User avatar
cherryalamode

Bronze
Posts: 301
Joined: Fri Jan 22, 2010 10:26 pm

Re: BU! woot.

Postby cherryalamode » Mon Jan 25, 2010 9:02 pm

Thanks guys!

I wouldn't think BU does YP simply because its so well reputable in giving $$$. That attracts LOTS of people!!!

But then again, if you don't think they do it, why are they holding on to some, from what I hear, fantastic applicants? Maybe they just simply take long for some?

krispykitten

Bronze
Posts: 441
Joined: Mon May 25, 2009 6:44 pm

Re: BU! woot.

Postby krispykitten » Tue Jan 26, 2010 2:15 am

somethingclever wrote:I was accepted in November. Just got a letter in the mail today offering $45,000 of merit aid over three years. Not too shabby.

Apparently the aid is still coming. :D


Good to know! Congrats :D

User avatar
Cupidity

Gold
Posts: 2214
Joined: Sun Jun 07, 2009 10:21 pm

Re: BU! woot.

Postby Cupidity » Tue Jan 26, 2010 2:19 am

cherryalamode wrote:What is YP?


YP is what happened to me at BC today.

User avatar
CardinalRules

Gold
Posts: 2332
Joined: Wed Nov 18, 2009 5:20 pm

Re: BU! woot.

Postby CardinalRules » Tue Jan 26, 2010 2:28 am

AlanShore wrote:
cherryalamode wrote:What is YP?

yield protection.

managamy, my SO also hasnt heard back yet and he has very high numbers too. (not as high as yours but well over 75th on both)


Good luck to him! I tried to short-circuit the YP vibes by sending a supplemental essay, but it's interesting that they're holding some of the extremely high-qualified applicants.

User avatar
calicocat

Silver
Posts: 1089
Joined: Wed Oct 28, 2009 1:29 pm

Re: BU! woot.

Postby calicocat » Tue Jan 26, 2010 3:41 am

managamy wrote:
AlanShore wrote:
cherryalamode wrote:What is YP?

yield protection.

managamy, my SO also hasnt heard back yet and he has very high numbers too. (not as high as yours but well over 75th on both)


Good luck to him! I tried to short-circuit the YP vibes by sending a supplemental essay, but it's interesting that they're holding some of the extremely high-qualified applicants.


omg

User avatar
CardinalRules

Gold
Posts: 2332
Joined: Wed Nov 18, 2009 5:20 pm

Re: BU! woot.

Postby CardinalRules » Tue Jan 26, 2010 4:43 am

Oli wrote:
managamy wrote:
AlanShore wrote:
cherryalamode wrote:What is YP?

yield protection.

managamy, my SO also hasnt heard back yet and he has very high numbers too. (not as high as yours but well over 75th on both)


Good luck to him! I tried to short-circuit the YP vibes by sending a supplemental essay, but it's interesting that they're holding some of the extremely high-qualified applicants.


omg


??? Cute avatar, though.

User avatar
englawyer

Silver
Posts: 1270
Joined: Wed Feb 14, 2007 10:57 pm

Re: BU! woot.

Postby englawyer » Tue Jan 26, 2010 9:15 am

managamy wrote:
??? Cute avatar, though.


i think he/she is surprised that you wrote a LOCI (essentially) to a safety of safeties given your stats

User avatar
Havaianas

Bronze
Posts: 265
Joined: Thu Oct 22, 2009 12:48 pm

Re: BU! woot.

Postby Havaianas » Tue Jan 26, 2010 11:59 am

Finally got the call just now and I'm In!

User avatar
JusticeHarlan

Gold
Posts: 1509
Joined: Tue Dec 15, 2009 2:56 pm

Re: BU! woot.

Postby JusticeHarlan » Tue Jan 26, 2010 12:02 pm

Havaianas wrote:Finally got the call just now and I'm In!

Congrats!

Now I'm gonna be watching my phone anxiously all day. Mind sharing your #s and when you applied/went complete?

User avatar
Havaianas

Bronze
Posts: 265
Joined: Thu Oct 22, 2009 12:48 pm

Re: BU! woot.

Postby Havaianas » Tue Jan 26, 2010 12:21 pm

JusticeHarlan wrote:
Havaianas wrote:Finally got the call just now and I'm In!

Congrats!

Now I'm gonna be watching my phone anxiously all day. Mind sharing your #s and when you applied/went complete?


Thanks! Yeah my heart starts racing at every nonfamiliar area code call... Best of Luck!
applied 11/17, complete 12/2
URM 163, 3.6

elevatorlove

New
Posts: 32
Joined: Thu Oct 01, 2009 5:04 pm

Re: BU! woot.

Postby elevatorlove » Tue Jan 26, 2010 12:23 pm

any other admits get an email from a current BU student, wanting to set up a phone call to talk about the school? just got one from a 1L this morning...

User avatar
JusticeHarlan

Gold
Posts: 1509
Joined: Tue Dec 15, 2009 2:56 pm

Re: BU! woot.

Postby JusticeHarlan » Tue Jan 26, 2010 12:23 pm

Havaianas wrote:
JusticeHarlan wrote:
Havaianas wrote:Finally got the call just now and I'm In!

Congrats!

Now I'm gonna be watching my phone anxiously all day. Mind sharing your #s and when you applied/went complete?


Thanks! Yeah my heart starts racing at every nonfamiliar area code call... Best of Luck!
applied 11/17, complete 12/2
URM 163, 3.6

Thanks, and congrats again!

RhubarbPie

Bronze
Posts: 207
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2009 12:33 pm

Re: BU! woot.

Postby RhubarbPie » Tue Jan 26, 2010 12:24 pm

Did anyone get merit aid offers in their initial acceptance packet from BU? I don't think I will attend BU, but I'm interested in what kind of merit aid they'll offer me (GPA at median, LSAT 5+ points above median). I got my acceptance call a couple of weeks ago. How long after acceptances have merit offers typically come in?

User avatar
SAE

Silver
Posts: 650
Joined: Thu Aug 20, 2009 5:47 pm

Re: BU! woot.

Postby SAE » Tue Jan 26, 2010 12:56 pm

englawyer wrote:
managamy wrote:
??? Cute avatar, though.


i think he/she is surprised that you wrote a LOCI (essentially) to a safety of safeties given your stats

Haha.. After sweeping HYS and getting a full ride at Columbia, I would not be sending LOCI's to BU. :)

Alas, I'm not in that spot..

User avatar
violaboy

Bronze
Posts: 417
Joined: Thu Jun 25, 2009 5:02 pm

Re: BU! woot.

Postby violaboy » Tue Jan 26, 2010 12:57 pm

hykang wrote:Did anyone get merit aid offers in their initial acceptance packet from BU? I don't think I will attend BU, but I'm interested in what kind of merit aid they'll offer me (GPA at median, LSAT 5+ points above median). I got my acceptance call a couple of weeks ago. How long after acceptances have merit offers typically come in?


I'm above both 75ths and got full tuition in the acceptance packet.

User avatar
Havaianas

Bronze
Posts: 265
Joined: Thu Oct 22, 2009 12:48 pm

Re: BU! woot.

Postby Havaianas » Tue Jan 26, 2010 1:12 pm

violaboy - how do you have so many LSN hits?

lalalalaw

New
Posts: 17
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2009 7:41 pm

Re: BU! woot.

Postby lalalalaw » Tue Jan 26, 2010 1:17 pm

hykang wrote:Did anyone get merit aid offers in their initial acceptance packet from BU? I don't think I will attend BU, but I'm interested in what kind of merit aid they'll offer me (GPA at median, LSAT 5+ points above median). I got my acceptance call a couple of weeks ago. How long after acceptances have merit offers typically come in?


similar (but lower) numbers, and I got $15/year in my acceptance packet yesterday.

slenslee

New
Posts: 35
Joined: Wed Dec 16, 2009 11:13 pm

Re: BU! woot.

Postby slenslee » Tue Jan 26, 2010 1:19 pm

obviously i know its 15K/year, but imagine if they gave out $15 a year scholarships, that'd be hilarious

mdgold

New
Posts: 82
Joined: Fri Nov 13, 2009 2:28 pm

Re: BU! woot.

Postby mdgold » Tue Jan 26, 2010 1:25 pm

applied 11/1 and went complete 11/18. 168/3.35 and havent heard anything since the ready for review email. Is this a bad sign? Should a call to check on my status?



Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists?

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 11 guests