BU! woot.

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Vincent Vega

Re: BU! woot.

Postby Vincent Vega » Sat Dec 26, 2009 9:10 pm

eye wrote:Just got the acceptance packet in the mail. Included a nice handwritten note about my PS and some handy post-its.

No money offer though. 165/3.9+

Similar numbers and haven't heard from them yet. When did you apply?

manbearwig

Postby manbearwig » Mon Dec 28, 2009 6:32 pm

I got an acceptance phone call about two weeks ago over the phone. However, haven't gotten my packet yet because I gave schools my school address. (I had actually just left school for break, was about to get on the turnpike when I got the call.)

So, could one of you lovely people PM me the username/password for the admitted students section? My school forwards our mail over break, but I still won't get it til the middle of January probably.

jks289

Postby jks289 » Mon Dec 28, 2009 6:39 pm

manbearwig wrote:I got an acceptance phone call about two weeks ago over the phone. However, haven't gotten my packet yet because I gave schools my school address. (I had actually just left school for break, was about to get on the turnpike when I got the call.)

So, could one of you lovely people PM me the username/password for the admitted students section? My school forwards our mail over break, but I still won't get it til the middle of January probably.

I can't remember it at the moment (my packet is home) but callt he office and they will tell you. It is the same for everyone.

Burger in a can

Postby Burger in a can » Tue Dec 29, 2009 4:08 am

JusticeHarlan

Postby JusticeHarlan » Tue Dec 29, 2009 10:48 am

Burger in a can wrote:Image

Soooooooooooooooo, I take it the admissions committee is open this week? :wink:

Burger in a can

Postby Burger in a can » Tue Dec 29, 2009 12:45 pm

JusticeHarlan wrote:Soooooooooooooooo, I take it the admissions committee is open this week? :wink:

I actually don't think they are, but that doesn't change the fact that I get a freakin' heart murmor every time my phone rings.

GobiasIndustries

Postby GobiasIndustries » Tue Dec 29, 2009 12:51 pm

I took like a week and a half off from TLS and have nothing to show for it! So back to the neurosis we go.

My phone rang last week from 617 and I totally freaked out. But it was BC, calling me to add their "personal congratulations," which I am still thrilled about, but it gave me a mini-heart attack.

imisscollege

Postby imisscollege » Tue Dec 29, 2009 1:27 pm

GobiasIndustries wrote:I took like a week and a half off from TLS and have nothing to show for it! So back to the neurosis we go.

My phone rang last week from 617 and I totally freaked out. But it was BC, calling me to add their "personal congratulations," which I am still thrilled about, but it gave me a mini-heart attack.

you would prefer BU? how come?

hey123

Postby hey123 » Wed Dec 30, 2009 12:21 am

Just received packet in mail after two weeks...their sweet note about my personal statement and the 45k scholly made me feel a twinge of regret for withdrawing. It seems like a fantastic place to spend 3 years of your life..

GobiasIndustries

Postby GobiasIndustries » Wed Dec 30, 2009 11:47 am

imisscollege wrote:
GobiasIndustries wrote:I took like a week and a half off from TLS and have nothing to show for it! So back to the neurosis we go.

you would prefer BU? how come?

I don't prefer one over the other right now, really, but I'd love to stay in Boston and wouldn't mind having the option :)

OneKnight

Postby OneKnight » Mon Jan 04, 2010 11:29 pm

Received my packet today, with a $15K/year scholarship!

badwithpseudonyms

Postby badwithpseudonyms » Tue Jan 05, 2010 2:50 pm

Anyone know when admitted students day is this spring?

(No, you didn't just have deja vu and this isn't the BC thread, I asked the same question in both. :) )

Hopefullawstudent

Postby Hopefullawstudent » Tue Jan 05, 2010 3:38 pm

Anyone else a little excited about the Oxford exchange program with BU Law? It sounds pretty intriguing.

DrGuano

Postby DrGuano » Tue Jan 05, 2010 4:02 pm

Hopefullawstudent wrote:Anyone else a little excited about the Oxford exchange program with BU Law? It sounds pretty intriguing.

Yes. I studied abroad at Oxford as an undergrad. It was an amazing experience. I was super busy, responsible for 2 10-12 page essays a week (one for each tutorial) that each required reading 3/4 historical texts, citing from all of them in the essays, as well as a handful of the other 10-20 suggested readings. I also had to prepare a 5-10 minute presentation for the topic of the week for each tutorial which was related to the essay, but more of a general overview instead of a focused thesis. The other 50-55 minutes of the tutorial was a discussion that revolved around the readings, the paper, and the presentation, during which I was responsible for all the material on the reading list for the week.

On top of that, as a visiting student I couldn't take books out of the Social Sciences library which I was mainly using. I could only take books out of my college library. The main library, the Bod, is not a lending library. So from 8-6 everyday I would spend the day in the library reading and handwriting out the quotes I needed to use.

It was grueling and quite tiring, but also incredible. I had two great tutors, both top historians whom I had read before I went to Oxford. For one of my tutorials, my tutor and I would meet at the same pub, Far From the Madding Crowd, every Wednesday to discuss my paper's direction before the tutorial on Friday. The conversation would always quickly turn towards music and sports after the first pint.

In short, if you can go to Oxford, do it. It is a gorgeous, friendly, rich, safe, fun, interesting city. Nothing like working your ass off in the library and then grabbing a pint a few seats down from Richard Dawkins at the Turf Tavern. Now that is an experience.

** Forgot to mention I also had to attend mandatory lectures for each tutorial once a week. These were given on the topic of the week by the professor from the history department who specialized in that area. I was also responsible for that material in my presentations.

After I'd work 8-6 in the library, I'd go home and organize my notes and begin constructing my paper till at least 10 each night. Still, there were plenty of all nighters spent writing papers.

Still, I would LOVE to go back. I'll be there in a heartbeat if I go to BU.

DrGuano

Postby DrGuano » Tue Jan 05, 2010 4:13 pm

Didn't mean to sound like such a martyr there. Just trying to get the point across that even with all the work, it is the most rewarding educational experience I've ever had. Learning from/ debating with a world-class academic is a super rare form of education that only Oxford can offer.

manbearwig

Postby manbearwig » Tue Jan 05, 2010 4:14 pm

Hopefullawstudent wrote:Anyone else a little excited about the Oxford exchange program with BU Law? It sounds pretty intriguing.

Do you have the link to it on their website? I can only find the London program.

utcris410

Postby utcris410 » Tue Jan 05, 2010 6:01 pm

badwithpseudonyms wrote:Anyone know when admitted students day is this spring?

(No, you didn't just have deja vu and this isn't the BC thread, I asked the same question in both. :) )

March 26 or April 9

Eazy E

Postby Eazy E » Wed Jan 06, 2010 8:37 pm

Got an e-mail requesting court documents pertaining to my two misdemeanors. I guess this is a good sign, since they wouldn't bother asking if they were going to flat-out reject me. Still, it's a kind of odd request.

xokel87

Postby xokel87 » Thu Jan 07, 2010 7:07 am

Last edited by xokel87 on Sat Mar 16, 2013 3:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

SAE

Postby SAE » Thu Jan 07, 2010 10:23 am

So I take it these is no status checker...

I received an "application received" email well over a month ago, but nothing since. I'm a December retaker. Should I contact or is this normal?

UFMatt

Postby UFMatt » Thu Jan 07, 2010 10:40 am

SAE wrote:So I take it these is no status checker...

I received an "application received" email well over a month ago, but nothing since. I'm a December retaker. Should I contact or is this normal?

I got an app received email at the end of October and didn't hear anything until I got an acceptance phone call in mid-late December. I wouldn't worry too much about it.

autumn80

Postby autumn80 » Thu Jan 07, 2010 3:42 pm

So every acceptance is preceded by a call?

Hopefullawstudent

Postby Hopefullawstudent » Thu Jan 07, 2010 3:46 pm

manbearwig wrote:

Do you have the link to it on their website? I can only find the London program.

http://www.bu.edu/law/central/jd/progra ... xford.html

As they may only take up to 6 students, I'm sure it is quite competitive to be selected.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Thu Jan 07, 2010 6:42 pm

I wonder if it is a good or bad sign that I have been "under review" almost two months with no call.

tridentz

Postby tridentz » Thu Jan 07, 2010 9:03 pm

kalvano wrote:I wonder if it is a good or bad sign that I have been "under review" almost two months with no call.

SAME HERE COMPLETED ON 10/27/09. I HAVE NO CLUE WHAT THE FUCK IS GOING ON WITH BU.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”