BU! woot. Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
MissLucky

Silver

Re: BU! woot.

Post by MissLucky » Wed Mar 03, 2010 1:37 pm

MissLucky wrote:how do i Untag a thread? lol

apples

New

Post by apples » Wed Mar 03, 2010 1:43 pm

therealfp wrote:
BearTerritory wrote:
vkw104 wrote:
BearTerritory wrote:got scholarship....45K. 166 3.7

anyone know what good standing means to keep the scholarship?
Congrats! Did that come with your acceptance packet?

Yea, came in the acceptance packet. I do not know if that is a generous scholarship or the average for my numbers...does anyone have any idea?
I have the same numbers and got the same offer...so there seems to be a method to the madness.
same here. Similar numbers, same merit offer

StrawberryRed89

Bronze

Post by StrawberryRed89 » Wed Mar 03, 2010 2:39 pm

I have a 3.67, 167, am a BU undergrad, and didn't receive a merit scholarship offer...I don't get it :(

mikcou

Bronze

Post by mikcou » Wed Mar 03, 2010 2:50 pm

StrawberryRed89 wrote:I have a 3.67, 167, am a BU undergrad, and didn't receive a merit scholarship offer...I don't get it :(
yea, im 3.52/167 and havent received anything either.

jks289

Silver

Post by jks289 » Wed Mar 03, 2010 2:54 pm

mikcou wrote:
StrawberryRed89 wrote:I have a 3.67, 167, am a BU undergrad, and didn't receive a merit scholarship offer...I don't get it :(
I called the financial aid office to figure out if I should send in my other offers ect. She kept saying "need based aid" and I said "I am more concerned with merit based" and the lady was silent and said "I think you should wait for need based." When I asked if merit aid went out with acceptances, she said "Typically." She was very nice, but not very transparent. The message I recieved was I would not be receiving any merit aid at all. She said not to send anything in until need aid was assigned. (My parent are wealthy but not contributing, so I won't qualify for anything). BU was our first choice but I don't think I can turn down 30K from WUSTL to pay sticker. I really thought I'd be getting something with a 169/3.5. Feeling pretty bummed out.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

mikcou

Bronze

Post by mikcou » Wed Mar 03, 2010 3:02 pm

jks289 wrote:
mikcou wrote:
I called the financial aid office to figure out if I should send in my other offers ect. She kept saying "need based aid" and I said "I am more concerned with merit based" and the lady was silent and said "I think you should wait for need based." When I asked if merit aid went out with acceptances, she said "Typically." She was very nice, but not very transparent. The message I recieved was I would not be receiving any merit aid at all. She said not to send anything in until need aid was assigned. (My parent are wealthy but not contributing, so I won't qualify for anything). BU was our first choice but I don't think I can turn down 30K from WUSTL to pay sticker. I really thought I'd be getting something with a 169/3.5. Feeling pretty bummed out.
I hear they often combine merit and need based together, so you might still get something.

John J. Rambo, Esq.

Bronze

Post by John J. Rambo, Esq. » Wed Mar 03, 2010 3:15 pm

jks289 wrote:
mikcou wrote:
Sounds to me like the woman you spoke to was hinting that cash is on the way. BU sometimes revises their scholarship offer after you file your financial info.

jks289

Silver

Post by jks289 » Wed Mar 03, 2010 4:23 pm

John J. Rambo, Esq. wrote:
jks289 wrote:
mikcou wrote:
Sounds to me like the woman you spoke to was hinting that cash is on the way. BU sometimes revises their scholarship offer after you file your financial info.
I hope so. If they came close to matching WUSTL I could almost, almost say my cycle was over. (Few unlikely waitlists, aside)

dakatz

Gold

Post by dakatz » Wed Mar 03, 2010 4:30 pm

The more I think about it, the more I'm leaning toward BU, especially if they up their scholarship offer a bit. I feel like I have a very solid basis for negotiation, so if they can match my best scholarship offers, I can tell them with certainty that I will enroll. I think that this certainty is the real clincher. As much as I'd love to go to Chicago or Cornell, I can't justify 200K of loans, at least not ITE.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

somethingclever

New

Post by somethingclever » Wed Mar 03, 2010 8:00 pm

ccs224 wrote:Got a call letting me know that I've received the Public Interest Scholarship today! Pretty exciting, though I've got to wait a few days for exact details via snail mail. Anyone else apply for / hear about the PI schol?
I applied for PI and they have already offered $45000. I'm hoping that the PI would be on top of that???

I currently live in Peru and my mom had a missed call from BU today with no message. The admissions office knows i'm out of the country but i guess the finaid office hasn't gotten the memo. I really hope it's a PI scholarship offer. That would probably seal the deal for me.

I really wanted in to Cornell at the beginning of this cycle but they EA deferred me and and i can probably expect to wait until April and then get zero money even if I get in. On top of that I'd have to live in middle of nowhere Ithaca.

BU it is then? AHHHHH the suspense is killing me. Can't call back until tomorrow! Will keep you posted.

somethingclever

New

Post by somethingclever » Wed Mar 03, 2010 8:01 pm

somethingclever wrote:
ccs224 wrote:Got a call letting me know that I've received the Public Interest Scholarship today! Pretty exciting, though I've got to wait a few days for exact details via snail mail. Anyone else apply for / hear about the PI schol?
I applied for PI and they have already offered $45000. I'm hoping that the PI would be on top of that???

I currently live in Peru and my mom had a missed call from BU today with no message. The admissions office knows i'm out of the country but i guess the finaid office hasn't gotten the memo. I really hope it's a PI scholarship offer. That would probably seal the deal for me.

I really wanted in to Cornell at the beginning of this cycle but they EA deferred me and and i can probably expect to wait until April and then get zero money even if I get in. On top of that I'd have to live in middle of nowhere Ithaca.

BU it is then? AHHHHH the suspense is killing me. Can't call back until tomorrow! Will keep you posted.
Oh and to pre-empt any questions, 167 3.7x

hugoboss

New

Post by hugoboss » Wed Mar 03, 2010 8:22 pm

submitted middle of december, haven't heard anything yet.... any clue on when i should hear something?

lovethelaw88

New

Post by lovethelaw88 » Wed Mar 03, 2010 8:52 pm

hugoboss wrote:submitted middle of december, haven't heard anything yet.... any clue on when i should hear something?
I submitted before Thanksgiving and I'm still waiting. This.is.killing.me. IT'S MARCH...COME ON BU!! Please just let me know already!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

klk

New

Post by klk » Thu Mar 04, 2010 3:59 am

In yesterday by phone! :) Very excited (highest acceptance so far...)! 169/3.67, hoping for some $, but looking at a few other 169s without, not getting my hopes up. Good luck to everyone else still waiting!

lovethelaw88

New

Post by lovethelaw88 » Thu Mar 04, 2010 11:45 am

BU...pretty please? Let me in.

84Sunbird2000

Silver

Post by 84Sunbird2000 » Thu Mar 04, 2010 1:05 pm

This is so weird. When I called up after being admitted with no scholarship money (166, 3.7x), they said that because I had applied for the PI scholly, I wouldn't receive any scholarship money until after they had finished reviewing PI apps, and at that point I would know my total merit package. So, it appears that there are mixed signals and information.

therealfp

New

Post by therealfp » Thu Mar 04, 2010 2:19 pm

mikcou wrote:
therealfp wrote:
I have the same numbers and got the same offer...so there seems to be a method to the madness.
Did you already submit your financial aid forms, or is this purely a merit offer?
45k merit offer came with my acceptance package, I submitted Need Access forms a couple weeks ago and am waiting for a response

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

holidayfromreal

New

Post by holidayfromreal » Thu Mar 04, 2010 2:34 pm

84Sunbird2000 wrote:This is so weird. When I called up after being admitted with no scholarship money (166, 3.7x), they said that because I had applied for the PI scholly, I wouldn't receive any scholarship money until after they had finished reviewing PI apps, and at that point I would know my total merit package. So, it appears that there are mixed signals and information.
I hope this is true. I applied for the PI scholarship as well and am assuming since I haven't heard anything I'm not getting it but I never received any money with my acceptance either so maybe now that we didn't get the PI, other money might come our way

jman77

Silver

Post by jman77 » Thu Mar 04, 2010 3:41 pm

Is there anyone here who went through an interview as part of the admission process? I got an e-mail asking me about my availability for an interview.

SAE

Silver

Post by SAE » Thu Mar 04, 2010 4:05 pm

jman77 wrote:Is there anyone here who went through an interview as part of the admission process? I got an e-mail asking me about my availability for an interview.
No. Very few do. And you probably just revealed yourself to the adcoms. :D

pollaclc

Bronze

Post by pollaclc » Thu Mar 04, 2010 4:09 pm

did the deadline for the PI schol app pass?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

jman77

Silver

Post by jman77 » Thu Mar 04, 2010 4:11 pm

SAE wrote:
jman77 wrote:Is there anyone here who went through an interview as part of the admission process? I got an e-mail asking me about my availability for an interview.
No. Very few do. And you probably just revealed yourself to the adcoms. :D
Haha, true. No worries, though, I have nothing to hide.

Edit: Just want to see if those who did go through the interview would be willing to share some preparation tips. Information is one of the most valuable things to possess.

John J. Rambo, Esq.

Bronze

Post by John J. Rambo, Esq. » Thu Mar 04, 2010 4:38 pm

pollaclc wrote:did the deadline for the PI schol app pass?
Yes, I think it was February 15.

barrydukakis

Bronze

Post by barrydukakis » Thu Mar 04, 2010 7:50 pm

For those that received a PI, did you send in your tax returns...?

kaydish21

Bronze

Post by kaydish21 » Thu Mar 04, 2010 7:53 pm

klk wrote:In yesterday by phone! :) Very excited (highest acceptance so far...)! 169/3.67, hoping for some $, but looking at a few other 169s without, not getting my hopes up. Good luck to everyone else still waiting!
Woah total numbers twin. When did you get complete?? And have you gotten money from anyone else?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”