BU! woot. Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
jks289

Silver

Re: BU! woot.

Post by jks289 » Sun Apr 11, 2010 10:59 am

Mattalones wrote:ASD was tight! I am probably going unless Cornell comes through. :-)
I left feeling unsure about BU. I went in really wanting to love it. I was really, really impressed by the professors and mock class. But the facilities were awful (worse than I had imagined from pictures) and honestly, I was really turned off by the admitted students (no offense to anyone on here). It seemed like everyone was really young and there was a sort of fratty vibe. I just felt so out of place the whole day. I don't know if it is fair to judge the school based on the ASD people, since that isn't technically the class and I liked the only actual student I spoke to. My husband really wants to move to Boston, so I am going to walk around the city today. I need to make a final decision by Thursday and have no idea what I'm going to do. Not good.

cyh

Bronze

Post by cyh » Sun Apr 11, 2010 12:44 pm

jks289 wrote:
Mattalones wrote:ASD was tight! I am probably going unless Cornell comes through. :-)
I left feeling unsure about BU. I went in really wanting to love it. I was really, really impressed by the professors and mock class. But the facilities were awful (worse than I had imagined from pictures) and honestly, I was really turned off by the admitted students (no offense to anyone on here). It seemed like everyone was really young and there was a sort of fratty vibe. I just felt so out of place the whole day. I don't know if it is fair to judge the school based on the ASD people, since that isn't technically the class and I liked the only actual student I spoke to. My husband really wants to move to Boston, so I am going to walk around the city today. I need to make a final decision by Thursday and have no idea what I'm going to do. Not good.

+1

I remember thinking "how did you get in here?" It just seemed like high school/college.
Many didn't get into higher ranked schools and were just happy to have gotten into BU so that's where they are going.
I, too, was impressed by the professors and the mock class, and enjoyed talking to the students. (didn't care much for the snobby administration, which is funny because you would expect this from the accomplished professors who were actually very cool). The facilities were ok, not bad, not good (better than Fordham at least!)

asdfff

New

Post by asdfff » Sun Apr 11, 2010 12:51 pm

jks289 wrote:

Wow, that's completely different from the impression that I got from the admitted students at the other ASD. I also kind of like the facilities in a strange way.

Blindmelon

Gold

Post by Blindmelon » Sun Apr 11, 2010 1:06 pm

jks289 wrote:
Theres a pretty big contingent of older students here. I'm 2 years out and tend to hang out with a lot of students who are in the same boat.

Did you get to talk to anyone in the OWLs student group? They're older students who do events where people bring their significant others/husbands/wives whatever.

Blindmelon

Gold

Post by Blindmelon » Sun Apr 11, 2010 1:15 pm

cyh wrote:
jks289 wrote:
+1

I remember thinking "how did you get in here?" It just seemed like high school/college.
Many didn't get into higher ranked schools and were just happy to have gotten into BU so that's where they are going.
I, too, was impressed by the professors and the mock class, and enjoyed talking to the students. (didn't care much for the snobby administration, which is funny because you would expect this from the accomplished professors who were actually very cool). The facilities were ok, not bad, not good (better than Fordham at least!)
I think you guys may have hit an odd group. My roommate turned down Cornell w/$ and UVA, another friend of mine turned down Mich/Northwestern. There are a bunch out there. BU is definitely not a fratty law school, pretty far from it. Everyone is really laid back... its more nerdy than anything actually (good or bad depending on your take). Theres a good mix of people though.

Professors are really the selling point here - I can't stress that enough, and I like my classmates a lot.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

elle

New

Post by elle » Sun Apr 11, 2010 1:41 pm

I have a question, any advice would be greatly appreciated!

At this point, I have not been offered any scholarships at BU. I have no leverage as I have not received money at other schools of a similar rank. My only leverage is my potential attendance. I have been accepted to BC and GW so I thought there may be a way to use these other acceptances in trying to get some merit scholarship money. I definitely qualify for need-based if my parents' financial status is not taken into account, which, at BU, it isn't but I got the need-access form in late so they are not able to offer me that at this time.

Has anyone had any success at getting scholarships in a similar situation?

Thanks!

jks289

Silver

Post by jks289 » Sun Apr 11, 2010 8:02 pm

Blindmelon wrote:
jks289 wrote:
Theres a pretty big contingent of older students here. I'm 2 years out and tend to hang out with a lot of students who are in the same boat.

Did you get to talk to anyone in the OWLs student group? They're older students who do events where people bring their significant others/husbands/wives whatever.
I didn't actually get to talk to any students (just one girl who seemed very nice) and i know it isn't fair to judge the school based on other admitted students. I went back to the school today to walk around. It was mellow and quiet and I felt less out of place. But I was still unimpressed with the building (it feels like a hospital) and really apprehensive about what my classmates will be like. If I wasn't married I think I would pick WUSTL (based on personality match). But my husband really wants to move to Boston personally and professionally. Yesh, the next few days are going to be filled with some rough conversations (the car ride back tonight was .... tense) :(
Maybe Cornell will come through and put me out of my misery.

Mattalones

Silver

Post by Mattalones » Sun Apr 11, 2010 8:09 pm

Last edited by Mattalones on Wed Jun 09, 2010 2:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

jd2013

New

Post by jd2013 » Sun Apr 11, 2010 11:14 pm

jks289 wrote:

+1 I felt the same way. I was really shocked at how rundown the school was and how cramped all the classrooms felt. In some of the sessions people had to sit on the floor or stand b/c the rooms were too small to accommodate all of the admitted students. Also, while the faculty was great, the administration did give off a cold vibe. To end on a positive note, I did like the t-shirts at the end!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

ViP

Bronze

Post by ViP » Mon Apr 12, 2010 11:14 am

I also didn't enjoy my experience at BU ASD.

The other students were actually surprisingly friendly and down-to-earth for the most part (I expected a more competitive bunch), but I just couldn't get past the facilities. I felt extremely cramped in the tower and the thought of spending all my time moving up and down in that building is suffocating. I echo the hospital comparison noted earlier. I think I need more lateral movement in a campus, haha! Also, I met only one person the whole day that was ready to commit to BU. Everyone else was totally on the fence...

Having said that, the faculty was really, really great. I can definitely see why some students would love to attend BU Law. I guess it's just not for me.

SAE

Silver

Post by SAE » Mon Apr 12, 2010 11:17 am

Looks like the impressions from the March and April ASD's are polar opposites.

Kiersten1985

Silver

Post by Kiersten1985 » Mon Apr 12, 2010 11:20 am

Hey guys,

Just want to say that I'll be back at BU in the fall and hope to see many of you there. Just got back from visiting Michigan and there's just no way I can spend 3 years in the midwest. I'm too much of a New Englander/city person.

Anyway, as an alum, I can tell you BU is definitely NOT a fratty/young school at all. Sorry to anyone who got that vibe during the ASW. Honestly, I felt that by junior year at BU, my class was on the whole more adult than most of the 1L's I met at Michigan this weekend (no offense to any of them). Plus, Boston is home to so many schools that it's really impossible not to find people that you feel comfortable with. The students at BU are very wordly and metropolitan, which is something I felt was lacking at Michigan. A lot of people will say I'm crazy for choosing a T20 over a T10 but my sanity isn't worth a T10. :wink:

Boston is fantastic, BU students are amazing people from all over the world, and BU is a great institution with a huge alumni network and so many resources in Boston, the US and internationally. You will not be disappointed!

JayTal

Bronze

Post by JayTal » Mon Apr 12, 2010 11:30 am

Sent in my deposit today! Hope to see some of you there :D

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

cyh

Bronze

Post by cyh » Mon Apr 12, 2010 11:33 am

JayTal wrote:Sent in my deposit today! Hope to see some of you there :D
albeit my complaints about admitted students day, I paid my deposit that day. The faculty did it for me! They're amazing! At the end of the day it's about my education and opportunities and BU and the faculty provides that. I will have to get over the facilities and some of the students who give off a fratty-college vibe.

Ben2010

New

Post by Ben2010 » Mon Apr 12, 2010 4:28 pm

Is there any hope of getting $$ off BU's waitlist? I got the WL letter on Friday and would really like to attend, but it would be fairly futile if I'd have to pay sticker considering I have $$ from Emory already.

CoutureChiq

Bronze

Post by CoutureChiq » Mon Apr 12, 2010 4:31 pm

Withdrew. Good luck.

lifeaway1985

Bronze

Post by lifeaway1985 » Mon Apr 12, 2010 9:10 pm

when is the deadline for the decision making process?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

RhubarbPie

Bronze

Post by RhubarbPie » Tue Apr 13, 2010 12:02 am

Just withdrew after letter via snail mail offering no money. Good luck everyone!

Cupidity

Gold

Post by Cupidity » Tue Apr 13, 2010 9:29 am

Yes, it would certainly seem like there were two vastly different impressions of the march and april ASD. The idea that the class is "fratty and young" just blows my mind. I felt like an idiot, because the first three people I met I asked, "So where do you go to school" only to get responses like, "I've actually been working for a firm in Chicago for three years" or "I just graduated with my PHD in Philosophy from Harvard." With the exception of a few people, the entire group seemed to be walking a very fine line between either nerdy-cool or intelligent-hipster.

The facilities actually blew me away. Perhaps it was because I had visited Fordham the day before, or perhaps it was because this board lowered my expectations, but what I saw was outstanding. The classrooms were sizeable, the interior of the building was alright--but that was more than compensated for by the views out the windows. In person, the buildings exterior gave a much stronger impression of being "imposing" than "ugly". And interesting fact, for any of you who read the Pre-Law magazine, it just rated top law school libraries, and BU was ranked number 19. One of the statistics that it included was a chair to student enrollment ratio, and BU had a relatively high .72, so even though it seemed small, it is certainly adequate.

StrawberryRed89

Bronze

Post by StrawberryRed89 » Tue Apr 13, 2010 10:00 am

Just put down my deposit yesterday :)

SAE

Silver

Post by SAE » Tue Apr 13, 2010 10:03 am

The assumption of you still being in school is pretty standard from my ASD experience. You get anything from "How was your trip from [UG location]? How long's the drive?" to "Is it your spring break right now, too?"

I stopped getting annoyed about it after a while.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

jks289

Silver

Post by jks289 » Tue Apr 13, 2010 11:00 am

Cupidity wrote:Yes, it would certainly seem like there were two vastly different impressions of the march and april ASD. The idea that the class is "fratty and young" just blows my mind. I felt like an idiot, because the first three people I met I asked, "So where do you go to school" only to get responses like, "I've actually been working for a firm in Chicago for three years" or "I just graduated with my PHD in Philosophy from Harvard." With the exception of a few people, the entire group seemed to be walking a very fine line between either nerdy-cool or intelligent-hipster.

The facilities actually blew me away. Perhaps it was because I had visited Fordham the day before, or perhaps it was because this board lowered my expectations, but what I saw was outstanding. The classrooms were sizeable, the interior of the building was alright--but that was more than compensated for by the views out the windows. In person, the buildings exterior gave a much stronger impression of being "imposing" than "ugly". And interesting fact, for any of you who read the Pre-Law magazine, it just rated top law school libraries, and BU was ranked number 19. One of the statistics that it included was a chair to student enrollment ratio, and BU had a relatively high .72, so even though it seemed small, it is certainly adequate.
I am willing to buy that I just got stuck in a bad group. To illustrate: At one point the guy behind me tried to get the attention of a friend who didn't see him. When the friend ignored him he said loudly "What a [homophobic language redacted]." (Edit: Mod has it set to not write the actual gay slur here, but you know what I mean) That is what I mean by "fratty." Just not the kind of peer I'd hoped for, and I felt like there was stuff like that throughout the day. Assuming I just got put in a sort of douche group, I'd hate to base a life-altering decision on something so trivial.

I really didn't like the facilities, but I also don't care THAT much what the building is like. And as I said the professors were top notch, and I can't think of anything more important than classroom experience. So now I feel like I have 48 hours to decide my gut is wrong about people or decide that professors and classes matter more to me. Or I just say forget it, rely on my first impression and move our family to f-ing Missouri. Oy.

Blindmelon

Gold

Post by Blindmelon » Tue Apr 13, 2010 11:10 am

Calling someone a "[homophobic language redacted]" will not fly here. I hope whoever you're talking about doesn't come here. If he does, he is not going to be well liked.

Kiersten1985

Silver

Post by Kiersten1985 » Tue Apr 13, 2010 11:15 am

Blindmelon wrote:Calling someone a "[homophobic language redacted]" will not fly here. I hope whoever you're talking about doesn't come here. If he does, he is not going to be well liked.
He'll probably like BC better haha.

jks289

Silver

Post by jks289 » Tue Apr 13, 2010 11:16 am

Blindmelon wrote:Calling someone a "[homophobic language redacted]" will not fly here. I hope whoever you're talking about doesn't come here. If he does, he is not going to be well liked.
Melon, I know that isn't the culture of the campus. I was just trying to illustrate what the kids in my group were like and why I am so nervous about committing. But it really seems like most people had good experiences. I am trying to figure out how I decide, now that I feel like my first impression/gut feeling may have been completely off base.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”