BU! woot. Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Mattalones

Silver

Re: BU! woot.

Post by Mattalones » Sat Apr 17, 2010 5:35 pm

Last edited by Mattalones on Wed Jun 09, 2010 2:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

dakatz

Gold

Post by dakatz » Sat Apr 17, 2010 5:38 pm

Mattalones wrote:Okay, someone on this thread has to be able to help me here. I can't figure out what constitutes applying for financial aid at BU. They say to do FAFSA, NeedAccess, and to mail in my/parents W-2, but there is no form to fill out for BU specifically that I can find. What did you guys do? PLEASE HELP!
There is no BU-specific form. As far as I remember, it was just FAFSA, NeedAccess, and tax returns/W-2's.

Mattalones

Silver

Post by Mattalones » Sat Apr 17, 2010 5:42 pm

Last edited by Mattalones on Wed Jun 09, 2010 2:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

dakatz

Gold

Post by dakatz » Sat Apr 17, 2010 6:02 pm

Mattalones wrote:
dakatz wrote:
Mattalones wrote:Okay, someone on this thread has to be able to help me here. I can't figure out what constitutes applying for financial aid at BU. They say to do FAFSA, NeedAccess, and to mail in my/parents W-2, but there is no form to fill out for BU specifically that I can find. What did you guys do? PLEASE HELP!
There is no BU-specific form. As far as I remember, it was just FAFSA, NeedAccess, and tax returns/W-2's.
And then, magically, they mailed you your financial aid? That seems sketchy! Oh-well, though, right?
Haven't actually heard anything about need-based aid yet, though I haven't been getting any from anyone thus far, and I doubt BU would be any different.

OneKnight

Bronze

Post by OneKnight » Sat Apr 17, 2010 7:42 pm

Withdrew with 15K/year. Good luck everyone!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Cupidity

Gold

Post by Cupidity » Sat Apr 17, 2010 7:49 pm

Yeah that simple, fafsa, needaccess...didnt even need the w'2s. make sure when you do need access you actually select BU.

ilovelawapps

Bronze

Post by ilovelawapps » Sun Apr 18, 2010 10:10 pm

Heres a stupid question-on the forms they gave us about submitting the deposit, it says include one deposit slip per check. I only got one deposit slip with a yellow carbon copy behind it. Were not supposed to tear that apart and submit one later are we? I assume they would need both copies.

Cupidity

Gold

Post by Cupidity » Sun Apr 18, 2010 10:21 pm

Anyone who lives in/knows Boston please confirm if this is right:

Trying to find housing to share with a friend going to Brandeis....it looked impossible until today. I realized if we both live in the Northend, IE:North Station area, we can each only have a 30 minute commute + a little walking time to North End, which is acceptable by my standards. I know rent is higher there, but considering its either a 2br there or alone, its still cheaper in this situation for me.

Does that make sense? Northend appx. 30 minute commute by Greenline to BU, 30 minute by commuter rail from North Station to Brandeis Robertson?

Bronze

Post by 174 » Sun Apr 18, 2010 10:42 pm

ilovelawapps wrote:Heres a stupid question-on the forms they gave us about submitting the deposit, it says include one deposit slip per check. I only got one deposit slip with a yellow carbon copy behind it. Were not supposed to tear that apart and submit one later are we? I assume they would need both copies.
They send you a slip for the second deposit after they receive your first.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

ilovelawapps

Bronze

Post by ilovelawapps » Sun Apr 18, 2010 11:10 pm

174 wrote:
ilovelawapps wrote:Heres a stupid question-on the forms they gave us about submitting the deposit, it says include one deposit slip per check. I only got one deposit slip with a yellow carbon copy behind it. Were not supposed to tear that apart and submit one later are we? I assume they would need both copies.
They send you a slip for the second deposit after they receive your first.
Thank you

OneSixtySix

Bronze

Post by OneSixtySix » Sun Apr 18, 2010 11:52 pm

Cupidity wrote:Anyone who lives in/knows Boston please confirm if this is right:

Trying to find housing to share with a friend going to Brandeis....it looked impossible until today. I realized if we both live in the Northend, IE:North Station area, we can each only have a 30 minute commute + a little walking time to North End, which is acceptable by my standards. I know rent is higher there, but considering its either a 2br there or alone, its still cheaper in this situation for me.

Does that make sense? Northend appx. 30 minute commute by Greenline to BU, 30 minute by commuter rail from North Station to Brandeis Robertson?

That logistically could work. The commuter rail isnt unreliable by any means but trains dont run anywhere near as frequently as the T, thus restricting when your friend could leave/arrive campus.

Its something somebody could do if they had to, but doesnt seem like a great option...If I was in undergrad and had a 40 minute commute with an awkward train timetable, I would probably skip alot of classes :D

As for north end to BU, I dont think thats to excessive of a commute if you want to go that route. North End is pretty much awesome and an excellent area for a law student (great access to nightlife but quiet and residential life).

Cupidity

Gold

Post by Cupidity » Mon Apr 19, 2010 1:42 am

OneSixtySix wrote:
Cupidity wrote:Anyone who lives in/knows Boston please confirm if this is right:

That logistically could work. The commuter rail isnt unreliable by any means but trains dont run anywhere near as frequently as the T, thus restricting when your friend could leave/arrive campus.

Its something somebody could do if they had to, but doesnt seem like a great option...If I was in undergrad and had a 40 minute commute with an awkward train timetable, I would probably skip alot of classes :D

As for north end to BU, I dont think thats to excessive of a commute if you want to go that route. North End is pretty much awesome and an excellent area for a law student (great access to nightlife but quiet and residential life).

Grad student, so the commute isn't so big a deal--fewer longer classes than UG.

Xiaolong

Bronze

Post by Xiaolong » Fri Apr 23, 2010 2:38 am

How is everyone going about securing housing? I won't arrive until about two weeks before classes start and finding something from abroad is a pain. I want to find a place that I am comfortable staying at for the whole three years and not move because of idiot roommates or problems with the apartment.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

ToriM

New

Post by ToriM » Fri Apr 23, 2010 2:44 am

tkicker182 wrote:Is anyone still waiting? I am. Complete 1/22. Should I just expect my rejection letter any day now?

I am, and I am completely perplexed. Applied in January and didn't get a Complete email or anything. Eventually, I sent a LOCI last month and they emailed back letting me know it would be added to my file. But no word after that. Maybe they don't even bother to send rejection letters this late in the game...?

McBean

New

Post by McBean » Fri Apr 23, 2010 8:43 am

The North End is a great neighborhood. Without considering the commute, I would prefer to live there than near campus. The nightlife is better, it's away from the horrible college bars, and is all around pleasant and beautiful. The neighborhood is full of mostly young professionals and the best food in Boston. Brighton is the complete opposite. It's nothing but college bars and ugliness. If you're into the undergrad scene though, it is perfect I guess.

But, I would give yourself about 45 mins from the NE to get to campus. The T can be great some days and a nightmare on others. Also, when you're coming home in the evening, you may have to switch trains or walk from Gov't Center. The B-line inbound only runs to Gov't center.

Another thing to consider is the social aspect. I don't know how much you plan on going out with your section, but most of them will be living in Brighton/Allston/Brookline and hanging out there as well. It's a decent trek from the NE to Brighton.

I doubt your only option would be living by yourself or living in the NE. BU has a roommate matching service and the FB group is helpful as well. I don't know anyone who had a problem finding a roommate.

Sorry if I just muddied the waters a bit. If you have any more questions about Boston or BU in general, let me know.

Oh, and congratulations.

utcris410

Bronze

Post by utcris410 » Tue Apr 27, 2010 10:52 am

McBean wrote:

The North End is a great neighborhood. Without considering the commute, I would prefer to live there than near campus. The nightlife is better, it's away from the horrible college bars, and is all around pleasant and beautiful. The neighborhood is full of mostly young professionals and the best food in Boston. Brighton is the complete opposite. It's nothing but college bars and ugliness. If you're into the undergrad scene though, it is perfect I guess.

But, I would give yourself about 45 mins from the NE to get to campus. The T can be great some days and a nightmare on others. Also, when you're coming home in the evening, you may have to switch trains or walk from Gov't Center. The B-line inbound only runs to Gov't center.

Another thing to consider is the social aspect. I don't know how much you plan on going out with your section, but most of them will be living in Brighton/Allston/Brookline and hanging out there as well. It's a decent trek from the NE to Brighton.

I doubt your only option would be living by yourself or living in the NE. BU has a roommate matching service and the FB group is helpful as well. I don't know anyone who had a problem finding a roommate.

Sorry if I just muddied the waters a bit. If you have any more questions about Boston or BU in general, let me know.

Oh, and congratulations.
McBean, are you attending BU in the fall?

Stephanie13

Bronze

Post by Stephanie13 » Tue Apr 27, 2010 11:15 am

Did anyone else just get the waitlist email?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

dreaming

Bronze

Post by dreaming » Tue Apr 27, 2010 11:17 am

Stephanie13 wrote:Did anyone else just get the waitlist email?
I did. The original waitlist e-mail sounded so promising and now this one sounds like no one is getting in. :oops: What do you think??

Stephanie13

Bronze

Post by Stephanie13 » Tue Apr 27, 2010 11:19 am

dreaming wrote:
Stephanie13 wrote:Did anyone else just get the waitlist email?
I did. The original waitlist e-mail sounded so promising and now this one sounds like no one is getting in. :oops: What do you think??
I don't think that the first email sounds any more promising than this one. Although when I first read it, I did get a feeling of hope. Perhaps false hope :/

McBean

New

Post by McBean » Tue Apr 27, 2010 11:21 am

No, I attend now. For anyone else looking for housing advice, another neighborhood to consider is Brookline. Nicer than Brighton, similar commute.

adav

New

Post by adav » Tue Apr 27, 2010 11:23 am

Wait, you guys got two waitlist emails? I have only received one so far, what did your second one say?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

dreaming

Bronze

Post by dreaming » Tue Apr 27, 2010 11:26 am

adav wrote:Wait, you guys got two waitlist emails? I have only received one so far, what did your second one say?
They had sent one when I first got waitlisted saying I was waitlisted. Today they sent one basically saying they might not take anyone from the waitlist and if they do it won't be until June. You didn't get this one?

adav

New

Post by adav » Tue Apr 27, 2010 11:31 am

dreaming wrote:
adav wrote:Wait, you guys got two waitlist emails? I have only received one so far, what did your second one say?
They had sent one when I first got waitlisted saying I was waitlisted. Today they sent one basically saying they might not take anyone from the waitlist and if they do it won't be until June. You didn't get this one?

nope haven't gotten anything :oops: don't no what that means. I do attend BU undergrad sooo I could stop by and ask lol

dreaming

Bronze

Post by dreaming » Tue Apr 27, 2010 11:32 am

adav wrote:
dreaming wrote:

nope haven't gotten anything :oops: don't no what that means. I do attend BU undergrad sooo I could stop by and ask lol
I feel like it could be good if you didn't get anything. Maybe ours were soft rejections?? Admissions plays too many mind games. I'm getting exhausted. :?

2013esq

Bronze

Post by 2013esq » Tue Apr 27, 2010 1:52 pm

dreaming wrote:

I got this one this morning.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”