Fordham Waiting Room

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
H. E. Pennypacker

Re: Fordham Waiting Room

Postby H. E. Pennypacker » Mon Dec 07, 2009 1:31 pm

It's so quiet on here today....

....too quiet.....

rockthelaw

Postby rockthelaw » Mon Dec 07, 2009 1:51 pm

H. E. Pennypacker wrote:It's so quiet on here today....

....too quiet.....

Agreed. Anybody got an interesting weekend story to share? Names can be changed to protect the innocent.

LaurenGayle

Postby LaurenGayle » Mon Dec 07, 2009 1:58 pm

....too quiet.....

Agreed. So I want to wish everyone good luck and hopes that you all hear very soon. To be perfectly honest, just the fact that everyone on this forum seems so nice and normal makes me lean very heavily toward Fordham. Not that I judge the people who are freaking out on other forums, but you all seem like a great bunch of people with whom to spend the next 3 years.

Also, H.E. and anyone else interested, Festivus episode on TBS tonight!

jk11287

Postby jk11287 » Mon Dec 07, 2009 2:01 pm

LaurenGayle wrote:

....too quiet.....

Agreed. So I want to wish everyone good luck and hopes that you all hear very soon. To be perfectly honest, just the fact that everyone on this forum seems so nice and normal makes me lean very heavily toward Fordham. Not that I judge the people who are freaking out on other forums, but you all seem like a great bunch of people with whom to spend the next 3 years.

That's actually a valid point. Not that I'm absolved from the freaking out going on in the GULC thread, but everyone here seems fairly...sane. I have a question though, since I'm pretty sure I'm getting rejected from Georgetown and a little more confident in my chances at Fordham-how are you supposed to finance living in NYC, assuming that we are paying sticker price for school? I'm from LI originally, so I guess I should be used to it, but my fiance and I really don't want to live in a 300 SF studio in Harlem the first year of our married life, and I really don't know what we're supposed to do.

danidancer

Postby danidancer » Mon Dec 07, 2009 2:02 pm

LaurenGayle wrote:Festivus episode on TBS tonight!

YES!

H. E. Pennypacker

Postby H. E. Pennypacker » Mon Dec 07, 2009 2:10 pm

jk11287 wrote:
LaurenGayle wrote:

....too quiet.....

That's actually a valid point. Not that I'm absolved from the freaking out going on in the GULC thread, but everyone here seems fairly...sane. I have a question though, since I'm pretty sure I'm getting rejected from Georgetown and a little more confident in my chances at Fordham-how are you supposed to finance living in NYC, assuming that we are paying sticker price for school? I'm from LI originally, so I guess I should be used to it, but my fiance and I really don't want to live in a 300 SF studio in Harlem the first year of our married life, and I really don't know what we're supposed to do.

Well it's certainly not cheap, but at least this year rents are down and there are a ton of apartments available, so you might be able to get a good deal. It won't be cheap though, especially since you're married and probably won't be looking for a roommate.

H. E. Pennypacker

Postby H. E. Pennypacker » Mon Dec 07, 2009 2:10 pm

danidancer wrote:
LaurenGayle wrote:Festivus episode on TBS tonight!

YES!

Just set my DVR via the iPhone. Best. Invention. Ever.

beebs

Postby beebs » Mon Dec 07, 2009 2:25 pm

Cheers to sanity.

H. E. Pennypacker

Postby H. E. Pennypacker » Mon Dec 07, 2009 2:28 pm

beebs wrote:Cheers to sanity.

Yeah this is definitely the calmest of all the major waiting rooms. Always a pleasure to stop by.

Clair1331

Postby Clair1331 » Mon Dec 07, 2009 2:31 pm

jk11287 wrote:
LaurenGayle wrote:

....too quiet.....

You can certainly do NYC on a budget. Expect studios instead of bedrooms and commuting for 30-60+mins from the outer boroughs. My husband's mom lives in Flushing (eastern part of Queens) for about $500 in a 1 bedroom suite (private room, shared bathroom and kitchen with 5 others). The trade offs for living somewhere cheap is your time in commuting and not always living in the best of areas, especially if you try to live in Manhattan. It might be a bit financially painful, but NYC is well worth it. :)

H. E. Pennypacker

Postby H. E. Pennypacker » Mon Dec 07, 2009 2:43 pm

--ImageRemoved--

For other H&H fans out there, it's located on the UWS, a short walk from my favorite NYC bar, Prohibition (81st and Columbus). A perfect late night stop after listening to the Gilfords play live there.

RubyDoomsday

Postby RubyDoomsday » Mon Dec 07, 2009 2:46 pm

jk11287 wrote:That's actually a valid point. Not that I'm absolved from the freaking out going on in the GULC thread, but everyone here seems fairly...sane. I have a question though, since I'm pretty sure I'm getting rejected from Georgetown and a little more confident in my chances at Fordham-how are you supposed to finance living in NYC, assuming that we are paying sticker price for school? I'm from LI originally, so I guess I should be used to it, but my fiance and I really don't want to live in a 300 SF studio in Harlem the first year of our married life, and I really don't know what we're supposed to do.

It all comes down to space vs. location. For me, it's location (I live in a shoebox in Gramercy Park, and the apt. itself needed major repair before moving in), but for a married couple, it might be space.

My friends lived out in Winsor Terrace in Brooklyn in a HUGE two bedroom for $1,600. The commute was a bitch for one of them (upper east side school teacher) for the other it was only 30 minutes, max (she worked at city hall).

If you are going to be there for 3 years, I reccomend sucking it up an getting a broker (set aside some money that you recieve as wedding gifts). Especially if you are not living in the city and might only have a weekend to find an apartment.

frix0803

Postby frix0803 » Mon Dec 07, 2009 2:50 pm

H. E. Pennypacker wrote:--ImageRemoved--

For other H&H fans out there, it's located on the UWS, a short walk from my favorite NYC bar, Prohibition (81st and Columbus). A perfect late night stop after listening to the Gilfords play live there.

Haha, Prohibition is really your fav bar? Too loud for my taste. I do go to Matsu for my sushi right next to Prohibition all the time. At any rate, live on 87th between CPW and XXX (for privacy). At any rate, if we do end up going to Fordham, will be curious to know why you like prohibition...

But i do love H&H, though zabars good enough for me as well.

LaurenGayle

Postby LaurenGayle » Mon Dec 07, 2009 2:52 pm

Yes, NYC can be done on a budget. I currently live in Astoria, Queens, which is much more accessible to Fordham than one might think. It is also VERY family friendly and safe, so you might want to look in that area as well. Live near the N/W subway line and you'll be fine for the commute.

My apartment is affordable and really big, so you won't have to sacrifice size. I have a great broker if you would be interested later on.

sirchristaylor

Postby sirchristaylor » Mon Dec 07, 2009 2:52 pm

H. E. Pennypacker wrote:
jk11287 wrote:
LaurenGayle wrote:

....too quiet.....

Well it's certainly not cheap, but at least this year rents are down and there are a ton of apartments available, so you might be able to get a good deal. It won't be cheap though, especially since you're married and probably won't be looking for a roommate.

You can live in West Harlem, on the east side of Morningside Park in a great, spacious apartment for under $2k/month. I just moved out of a beautiful 1 bedroom apartment in a doorman building with an elevator, gym included in rent, and cheap in-building laundry that's just 1 block from the B/C line for $1800. (I live with my partner, and we split the rent)

H. E. Pennypacker

Postby H. E. Pennypacker » Mon Dec 07, 2009 2:55 pm

frix0803 wrote:
Haha, Prohibition is really your fav bar? Too loud for my taste. I do go to Matsu for my sushi right next to Prohibition all the time. At any rate, live on 87th between CPW and XXX (for privacy). At any rate, if we do end up going to Fordham, will be curious to know why you like prohibition...

But i do love H&H, though zabars good enough for me as well.

There's nothing about the bar in particular, but I do love the live music they have on the weekends. The Gilfords, in particular. They play classic 80's rock ballads, and in my opinion, you can't beat that. Plus I know a couple of the waitresses so I can usually get a deal on my tab.

danidancer

Postby danidancer » Mon Dec 07, 2009 3:08 pm

LaurenGayle wrote:Yes, NYC can be done on a budget. I currently live in Astoria, Queens, which is much more accessible to Fordham than one might think. It is also VERY family friendly and safe, so you might want to look in that area as well. Live near the N/W subway line and you'll be fine for the commute.

My apartment is affordable and really big, so you won't have to sacrifice size. I have a great broker if you would be interested later on.

Astoria FTW! My roommate and I are a block from the Steinway Street stop (R/V trains). Very decently sized 2-bedroom for $1450 a month. Commute to Fordham (if I get in, FINGERS CROSSED) will be ~1/2 an hour. It can be done!

jk11287

Postby jk11287 » Mon Dec 07, 2009 3:10 pm

I mean, both my fiance's and my parents live within an hour of NYC by train, so we could live with them for free, although that doesn't strike me as an ideal situation, either. Of course I don't NEED to live in manhattan, but really it was the primary thing that attracted me to Fordham over comparable schools. Soooo I still don't know what to do, I guess just hope that if I get rejected from Georgetown, GW takes me. Or Fordham has an adminstrative error and gives me a full ride. That'd be nice, too.

LaurenGayle

Postby LaurenGayle » Mon Dec 07, 2009 3:16 pm

danidancer wrote:
LaurenGayle wrote:Yes, NYC can be done on a budget. I currently live in Astoria, Queens, which is much more accessible to Fordham than one might think. It is also VERY family friendly and safe, so you might want to look in that area as well. Live near the N/W subway line and you'll be fine for the commute.

Astoria FTW! My roommate and I are a block from the Steinway Street stop (R/V trains). Very decently sized 2-bedroom for $1450 a month. Commute to Fordham (if I get in, FINGERS CROSSED) will be ~1/2 an hour. It can be done!

Hi neighbor -- I'm at Broadway off the N/W :-)

RubyDoomsday

Postby RubyDoomsday » Mon Dec 07, 2009 3:20 pm

jk11287 wrote:I mean, both my fiance's and my parents live within an hour of NYC by train, so we could live with them for free, although that doesn't strike me as an ideal situation, either. Of course I don't NEED to live in manhattan, but really it was the primary thing that attracted me to Fordham over comparable schools. Soooo I still don't know what to do, I guess just hope that if I get rejected from Georgetown, GW takes me. Or Fordham has an adminstrative error and gives me a full ride. That'd be nice, too.

Hmmm, I would say if your wife is planning on working near where either of your folks live, then that is the best option (since, really, you will be in law school, you will be over worked and exhausted all the time, you can just use the commute time to sleep)

Save the money and use it to pay off your loans sooner...

jc631

Postby jc631 » Mon Dec 07, 2009 3:22 pm

Mine just updated to waitlisted :( FT 168/3.23

H. E. Pennypacker

Postby H. E. Pennypacker » Mon Dec 07, 2009 3:23 pm

jc631 wrote:Mine just updated to waitlisted :( FT 168/3.23

When did you submit / go complete?

NancyBotwin

Postby NancyBotwin » Mon Dec 07, 2009 3:23 pm

:cry: Mine too. Bit more of a splitter than you (>lsat, <gpa).

finalaspects

Postby finalaspects » Mon Dec 07, 2009 3:24 pm

wow... sorry to hear that man... i was expecting fordham to accept 168s...

miche1esim

Postby miche1esim » Mon Dec 07, 2009 3:24 pm

fuuuuuuuuuuuck.
waitlisted.
163/ 3.68 FT
not that i wasn't expecting it.
bah bah bah

i've heard fordham is pretty harsh with waitlists..anyone know?
good luck to everyone else.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”