Fordham Waiting Room

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
greg11a

Re: Fordham Waiting Room

Postby greg11a » Thu May 06, 2010 11:33 am

May 17th is my deadline date.

H. E. Pennypacker

Postby H. E. Pennypacker » Thu May 06, 2010 11:40 am

Ladies and Gentlemen of the finest thread on TLS,

For many months now, I have wondered what the future would hold me. Would I be going to law school in the fall? Would it be at Fordham? Would I be retaking the LSAT and go through the agonizing application process again next year?

Well those questions have now been answered. In, PT. I can see no reason why I would not attend.

My fingers remain crossed for Rock, E2F, NyGrrrl, and the rest.

Thanks to all who have offered advice through the many ups and downs.

And I was just about to order the 10 latest prep tests....

starsong

Postby starsong » Thu May 06, 2010 11:41 am

H. E. Pennypacker wrote:Ladies and Gentlemen of the finest thread on TLS,

For many months now, I have wondered what the future would hold me. Would I be going to law school in the fall? Would it be at Fordham? Would I be retaking the LSAT and go through the agonizing application process again next year?

Well those questions have now been answered. In, PT. I can see no reason why I would not attend.

Congrats! See you in the fall!

rockthelaw

Postby rockthelaw » Thu May 06, 2010 11:44 am

Tears just welled up in my eyes. It might be allergies, or it might be me feeling genuinely excited for you,

But holy sh*t that is so awesome congratulations dude! I'd be lying if I said I wasn't a little jealous, but dude, you deserve it!

tesoro

Postby tesoro » Thu May 06, 2010 11:45 am

That's fucking awesome dude. Congrats.

LaurenGayle

Postby LaurenGayle » Thu May 06, 2010 11:55 am

CONGRATS!!! So excited for you!!! :-D

hannah87

Postby hannah87 » Thu May 06, 2010 12:00 pm

LaurenGayle wrote:

CONGRATS!!! So excited for you!!! :-D

FINALLY!!! that's amazing. congratulations!

Columbia Law

Postby Columbia Law » Thu May 06, 2010 12:07 pm

H.E. Pennypacker, What were your #'s? Congrats man.

H. E. Pennypacker

Postby H. E. Pennypacker » Thu May 06, 2010 12:10 pm

Columbia Law wrote:H.E. Pennypacker, What were your #'s? Congrats man.

164, 3.2X, 2 years unique WE, 6'5", 215lbs, yadda yadda yadda

krzyreeesh

Postby krzyreeesh » Thu May 06, 2010 12:10 pm

greg11a wrote:Agreed, but on that same token, who is to say I will get top 50% at Fordham, which is where I would need to be to get the most benefits of that degree.

Greg, I understand your rationale. Fordham PT is and has always been my #1 but St. Johns and Brooklyn threw me for a loop with their generous scholarship offers. I, too, am very debt-averse. That being said, I think it really depends on what you're looking for after you graduate. If BigLaw is what you want, you owe it to yourself to go to Fordham over SJU really no matter the cost. Even if you can't crack it in the top tier of the class, you have a better chance of connections and other factors there that would help you land a BigLaw job. If you want to be a judge or go into PI, I would almost encourage you to go to SJU as their connections in those two realms combined with your low debt load would make it hard to pass up.

As far as how well you would do at Fordham, I happen to know many current Fordham students and after speaking to them, perhaps I can provide some insight. It's safe to say that the level of student there makes for a much more competitive academic environment than SJU. That, coupled with the fact that you'll be a PT student with a job will probably make it even harder. Everything I've heard from students in the PT program who actually do work suggests that it's a juggling act that is not fun or easy to manage. From another perspective, I recently spoke to a current Fordham (FT) student who went to HYS undergrad with a 3.7 there and is still feeling the pressure at Fordham because they can't necessarily crack it beyond a certain percentage of their classmates no matter how hard they study. Call me naive, but when I went to visit SJU and sat in on a class, I just 'felt' like I could do very well there. The caliber of student combined with the commuter school feel also made it feel a lot more comfortable for a PT student.

At the end of the day, if Fordham comes through, I'm there. I just think the weight of the name in NY is too good to pass up and I just love the area. I'm also looking forward to be challenged academically and I don't know that I would get the same level of that at SJU. But, that said, I certainly don't think you're crazy for considering the other options.

P.S. Congrats Pennypacker!!! It's so great to see the PT class filling out with such awesome people.

Columbia Law

Postby Columbia Law » Thu May 06, 2010 12:10 pm

Cosmo Kramer stats?

H. E. Pennypacker

Postby H. E. Pennypacker » Thu May 06, 2010 12:14 pm

Columbia Law wrote:Cosmo Kramer stats?

Nope, all me. The similarity is purely coincidental

badpixie

Postby badpixie » Thu May 06, 2010 12:16 pm

Congrats Greg & H.E.P.!!!!

even2flow

Postby even2flow » Thu May 06, 2010 12:30 pm

Hooooooooooooooly shit! Congrats dude!!!

Not gonna lie, had to read that twice. That's absolutely amazing dude.

things fall apart

Postby things fall apart » Thu May 06, 2010 12:41 pm

things fall apart wrote:Hey guys I didn't go complete until Feb and just returned my waitlist sheet (btw did everyone get the barcode sheet in a mediumsized envelope?) But do you think I have a shot?
22 col senior af am male
3.3 158
Great softs - 3 professional internships, essay on work in developing African nation

I'm going for ft do you think ill make it off waitlist?

Any takers

H. E. Pennypacker

Postby H. E. Pennypacker » Thu May 06, 2010 12:43 pm

even2flow wrote:

Hooooooooooooooly shit! Congrats dude!!!

Not gonna lie, had to read that twice. That's absolutely amazing dude.

Thanks buddy! Hopefully they're calling you soon!!

In the meantime, enjoy this video of me working my last plate job of the '08 season in Staten Island; Aberdeen Ironbirds (Orioles) @ SI Yankees (Yankees). Beautiful ballpark.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EyYfXSPxK4I

Columbia Law

Postby Columbia Law » Thu May 06, 2010 1:00 pm

things fall apart wrote:
things fall apart wrote:Hey guys I didn't go complete until Feb and just returned my waitlist sheet (btw did everyone get the barcode sheet in a mediumsized envelope?) But do you think I have a shot?
22 col senior af am male
3.3 158
Great softs - 3 professional internships, essay on work in developing African nation

Any takers

Hey bud, odd are you are out. I would retake. It seems like everyone that is getting in had a 164 or better. I know of someone who had a 166 because he wanted the PT. My brother had a 164/3.9. This is a rough year and I believe they cut the class in half.

greg11a

Postby greg11a » Thu May 06, 2010 1:11 pm

things fall apart wrote:
22 col senior af am male
3.3 158

Any takers

FT I would say out. PT I think you may squeak in as I got in with a 162/3.6 non URM.

Emma.

Postby Emma. » Thu May 06, 2010 1:21 pm

WOOOT! Congrats H.E.P!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Surely now it is nygrrrl's turn???

H. E. Pennypacker

Postby H. E. Pennypacker » Thu May 06, 2010 1:39 pm

emrose wrote:

WOOOT! Congrats H.E.P!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Surely now it is nygrrrl's turn???

I can only hope.

greg11a

Postby greg11a » Thu May 06, 2010 1:55 pm

I know that Fordham is very stingy with money. Do they give out any money at all for PT, or only for FT? The scholarship I received from St Js was for PT. Does anyone with an acceptance to Fordham PT out there have a merit scholly of any kind?

badpixie

Postby badpixie » Thu May 06, 2010 2:29 pm

I know that this late in the cycle, chances of getting merit aid are slim, but for those of you who have received merit aid, how long after the acceptance email did you hear about schollys? My seat deposit is due in 2 weeks, and it would definitely make the decision easier if I knew about scholarship $ before the deadline. (At this point, I'd be very surprised if I didn't decide to go to Fordham, but giving up $$$ elsewhere to pay sticker is tough, even at Fordham.)

badpixie

Postby badpixie » Thu May 06, 2010 2:34 pm

greg11a wrote:
On a side note, what is the point of the status checker if they are just going to call you anyway. Mine still says complete.

Mine had changed within a couple of hours after I spoke with admissions. Maybe they didn't want to spoil the curprise, so they don't change the status until after the call.

Cardboardbox

Postby Cardboardbox » Thu May 06, 2010 2:36 pm

H.E.P. CONGRATS!! :D

I'm so glad that there is so much positive movement for the PTers in our awesome thread!!

jl2032

Postby jl2032 » Thu May 06, 2010 2:37 pm

greg11a wrote:I know that Fordham is very stingy with money. Do they give out any money at all for PT, or only for FT? The scholarship I received from St Js was for PT. Does anyone with an acceptance to Fordham PT out there have a merit scholly of any kind?

I got a $20k per year scholly for Fordham PT that I just gave up. I also received some need-based aid (which I really think was more merit aid dressed up as need because no other school gave me need-based aid).

FWIW, my experience is kind of unique in that I specifically applied for PT even though I had FT numbers (they said if I wanted to do FT, they'd make the scholly $25k per year plus the need-based).

Keep in mind it's also very late in the game, and I assume they are very low on grant money.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”