Fordham Waiting Room

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
hannah87

Re: Fordham Waiting Room

Postby hannah87 » Wed Apr 21, 2010 6:45 pm

Hey-O wrote:
France121069 wrote:
hannah87 wrote:
France121069 wrote:Ugh. Denied just now via status checker. Not surprised, though. Applied PT, 160, 3.4, really good softs, work experience etc. but oh well. No fun in any event but what can you do.

so sorry, France :shock: . where do you think you're headed?

Oh, dear. You all will make fun of me but I need to get used to saying it so here goes. NYLS. I got into Brooklyn but NYLS gave me $$$. I'm also not a traditional student as I am older, with an MBA (and the debt that goes along with it) and already work in a super small law firm doing exactly what I want to get a law degree to do and where they have offered both to SERIOUSLY accommodate my schedule AND to hire me as an attorney when I am done at school (NYLS is also my boss' alma matter). I know that NYLS doesn't have a good reputation for people who need a strong alumni or biglaw connection, but for me, it really doesn't matter. I need to get the degree and pass the bar when it's over. Fordham was a bit of a pipe dream but worth the shot. So, yea, NYLS (with my head mostly held high). :roll: :)

This sounds like a perfect situation for you. I think that people at TLS are too snobby. Too many of them base their self worth on where they got into law school. Congrats on the $$$. Also kudos for going to law school later in life.

totally agreeing with Hey-o. congrats, France! sounds like you made the right choice :D !

NYCbound96

Postby NYCbound96 » Wed Apr 21, 2010 6:51 pm

France121069 wrote:Ugh. Denied just now via status checker..

+1

chicoalto0649

Postby chicoalto0649 » Thu Apr 22, 2010 1:23 am

NYCbound96 wrote:

+1

are you still nyc bound?

empire84

Postby empire84 » Thu Apr 22, 2010 1:25 am

some
Last edited by empire84 on Wed Jul 27, 2011 11:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

NYCbound96

Postby NYCbound96 » Thu Apr 22, 2010 1:27 am

chicoalto0649 wrote:
NYCbound96 wrote:

+1

are you still nyc bound?

LOL I live 30 minutes from the city... I'm always NYC bound :mrgreen:

chicoalto0649

Postby chicoalto0649 » Thu Apr 22, 2010 1:29 am

NYCbound96 wrote:
chicoalto0649 wrote:
NYCbound96 wrote:

+1

are you still nyc bound?

LOL I live 30 minutes from the city... I'm always NYC bound :mrgreen:

dawww thats cute... I <3 nyc every time i am there but when i leave I am always like zomgz i could never live there. welll I better got ready to spend the next 3 years there.

Aston2412

Postby Aston2412 » Thu Apr 22, 2010 2:26 am

empire84 wrote:someone convince me LA sucks and I should turn down UCLA for Fordham. Thanks.

LA is awesome. Yup. You should DEFINITELY go to UCLA.

even2flow

Postby even2flow » Thu Apr 22, 2010 7:34 am

Goddammit. It's take your child to work day today.

nygrrrl

Postby nygrrrl » Thu Apr 22, 2010 7:59 am

even2flow wrote:Goddammit. It's take your child to work day today.

Bummer. My kids are going to school, just like any other day.

even2flow

Postby even2flow » Thu Apr 22, 2010 8:18 am

nygrrrl wrote:

Kids are....everywhere.

I'm not opposed to children. It's just...overwhelming.

Also, I'm at work, I'm miserable and I really don't want to have to put on a smiley face :mrgreen: for Bobby Jr. At the same time I don't want them to know the harsh reality of the world once they leave the bubble and comfort of school.

nygrrrl

Postby nygrrrl » Thu Apr 22, 2010 8:35 am

even2flow wrote:
nygrrrl wrote:

Kids are....everywhere.

I'm not opposed to children. It's just...overwhelming.

Also, I'm at work, I'm miserable and I really don't want to have to put on a smiley face :mrgreen: for Bobby Jr. At the same time I don't want them to know the harsh reality of the world once they leave the bubble and comfort of school.

LOL - hence... school. :wink:
edit: tbh, I understood when it was about bringing little girls to work to see that moms could have high-powered jobs, too... but the concept is now so diluted that I just don't buy it. My kids know I work. It's enough.

OperaSoprano

Postby OperaSoprano » Thu Apr 22, 2010 8:51 am

empire84 wrote:someone convince me LA sucks and I should turn down UCLA for Fordham. Thanks.

UCLA is my dad's UG alma mater, so I won't be trashing it (plus Santa Monica is gorgeous), but having to drive, pay for insurance and maintain a car are all downsides IMO. In any case, my classmate A turned down UCLA for Fordham this year. New York is her city all the way and she wants to practice here-- the networking opportunities really are second to none. I'm going to a fashion law panel tonight, with corporate counsel from several major design houses. Very excited!

I should note that I don't think UCLA is a bad choice at all. I brag about our location win but they can claim the same. :D

hannah87

Postby hannah87 » Thu Apr 22, 2010 9:07 am

OperaSoprano wrote:

UCLA is my dad's UG alma mater, so I won't be trashing it (plus Santa Monica is gorgeous), but having to drive, pay for insurance and maintain a car are all downsides IMO. In any case, my classmate A turned down UCLA for Fordham this year. New York is her city all the way and she wants to practice here-- the networking opportunities really are second to none. I'm going to a fashion law panel tonight, with corporate counsel from several major design houses. Very excited!

I should note that I don't think UCLA is a bad choice at all. I brag about our location win but they can claim the same. :D

so cool about the fashion law panel! what are you going to wear?? :P

even2flow

Postby even2flow » Thu Apr 22, 2010 9:21 am

What exactly is a fashion law panel?

OperaSoprano

Postby OperaSoprano » Thu Apr 22, 2010 9:23 am

hannah87 wrote:
OperaSoprano wrote:

Debating! Either a suit and a cool blouse, or my Zac Posen sheathe dress (I got this for 80% off, but I already wore it to our charity auction): Image

even2flow: a panel of attorneys who represent fashion industry clients. It's a niche business centered here in New York. Fordham was the first school in the US to offer a course in fashion law.

hannah87

Postby hannah87 » Thu Apr 22, 2010 9:24 am

OperaSoprano wrote:
hannah87 wrote:
OperaSoprano wrote:

Debating! Either a suit and a cool blouse, or my Zac Posen sheathe dress (I got this for 80% off, but I already wore it to our charity auction): Image

even2flow: a panel of attorneys who represent fashion industry clients. It's a niche business centered here in New York. Fordham was the first school in the US to offer a course in fashion law.

LOVE the dress! wear that!

H. E. Pennypacker

Postby H. E. Pennypacker » Thu Apr 22, 2010 9:25 am

even2flow wrote:What exactly is a fashion law panel?

I'm wondering that myself. I suppose the fashion police need some sort of guidelines to govern them.

SAE

Postby SAE » Thu Apr 22, 2010 9:27 am

What are some key issues in fashion law?

(other than not wearing the same dress twice, of course)

OperaSoprano

Postby OperaSoprano » Thu Apr 22, 2010 9:29 am

hannah87 wrote:

I'm debating. I just wore it to a school event in March, so people have seen it, but it's the best thing I have.

LOLOL- design copyright issues are huge.

http://www.fashionapparellawblog.com/

http://www.counterfeitchic.com/

even2flow

Postby even2flow » Thu Apr 22, 2010 9:30 am

OperaSoprano wrote:even2flow: a panel of attorneys who represent fashion industry clients. It's a niche business centered here in New York. Fordham was the first school in the US to offer a course in fashion law.

Huh, just googled it, had no idea this existed. I learned something today.

OperaSoprano

Postby OperaSoprano » Thu Apr 22, 2010 9:37 am

even2flow wrote:
OperaSoprano wrote:even2flow: a panel of attorneys who represent fashion industry clients. It's a niche business centered here in New York. Fordham was the first school in the US to offer a course in fashion law.

Huh, just googled it, had no idea this existed. I learned something today.

The irony is that I didn't even know the extent of it when I applied to law school, and I downplayed my academic credentials because I thought they were irrelevant to a legal career. I'm torn between wanting to pursue this (I know it's kind of a long shot, even with my background) and public interest, where I'm now working. This is definitely an emerging field, but for now only a few firms have practices like this.

hannah87

Postby hannah87 » Thu Apr 22, 2010 9:41 am

OperaSoprano wrote:
hannah87 wrote:

I'm debating. I just wore it to a school event in March, so people have seen it, but it's the best thing I have.

LOLOL- design copyright issues are huge.

http://www.fashionapparellawblog.com/

http://www.counterfeitchic.com/

when I studied abroad in italy, there was a major anti-counterfeit campaign going on all over europe. i've seen similar anti-fakes ads in magazines here lately. i wonder if you have to be a hard science type to get into this kind of intellectual property?

even2flow

Postby even2flow » Thu Apr 22, 2010 9:45 am

hannah87 wrote:when I studied abroad in italy, there was a major anti-counterfeit campaign going on all over europe. i've seen similar anti-fakes ads in magazines here lately. i wonder if you have to be a hard science type to get into this kind of intellectual property?

I'm a hard science type and I can safely say I wouldn't even know where to begin.

Chemical structures, methodology, and biological assays? No problem.

Anti-fake? No idea.

Side note - Hear that Fordham? I'm employable upon graduation!

OperaSoprano

Postby OperaSoprano » Thu Apr 22, 2010 9:59 am

even2flow wrote:
hannah87 wrote:when I studied abroad in italy, there was a major anti-counterfeit campaign going on all over europe. i've seen similar anti-fakes ads in magazines here lately. i wonder if you have to be a hard science type to get into this kind of intellectual property?

I'm a hard science type and I can safely say I wouldn't even know where to begin.

Chemical structures, methodology, and biological assays? No problem.

Anti-fake? No idea.

Side note - Hear that Fordham? I'm employable upon graduation!

LOL, yes you are. But generally, hard science is a pre-req for patent litigation, not so called "soft IP," meaning trademark and copyright work. Patents are generally sought for inventions, processes, and chemical or material compositions. Copyrights, as defined here, are for original (but not necessarily unique, interestingly enough!) works of art, literature, design, music, compilation, etc. Fashion design cannot generally be copyrighted because fashion, ie: clothing, is seen as a necessary item, and it would be contrary to public policy to drive up the cost of clothing. You could make an argument for fashion as art or sculpture, when talking about runway creations that will never be mass produced. It really is funny... I didn't realize how fascinating I found this stuff until I got here.

And to Hannah, other countries (IE: the EU) have much stricter copyright protections for their fashion industries. In the US, it is not illegal to buy a knock-off. In France I believe it is.

Note: it is both illegal and civilly actionable to sell knock-offs here, however.

hannah87

Postby hannah87 » Thu Apr 22, 2010 10:07 am

OperaSoprano wrote:
LOL, yes you are. But generally, hard science is a pre-req for patent litigation, not so called "soft IP," meaning trademark and copyright work. Patents are generally sought for inventions, processes, and chemical or material compositions. Copyrights, as defined here, are for original (but not necessarily unique, interestingly enough!) works of art, literature, design, music, compilation, etc. Fashion design cannot generally be copyrighted because fashion, ie: clothing, is seen as a necessary item, and it would be contrary to public policy to drive up the cost of clothing. You could make an argument for fashion as art or sculpture, when talking about runway creations that will never be mass produced. It really is funny... I didn't realize how fascinating I found this stuff until I got here.

And to Hannah, other countries (IE: the EU) have much stricter copyright protections for their fashion industries. In the US, it is not illegal to buy a knock-off. In France I believe it is.

Note: it is both illegal and civilly actionable to sell knock-offs here, however.

thanks, OS! i also find this super-interesting. i just spent the last 20 minutes at work reading Counterfeit Chic. awesome that Fordham offers a Fashion Law seminar!definitely going to look into that.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”