Fordham Waiting Room

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Bailarina08

Re: Fordham Waiting Room

Postby Bailarina08 » Wed Apr 14, 2010 2:33 pm

and the beast wrote:
ziggystardust23 wrote:
chicoalto0649 wrote:
Bailarina08 wrote:I have seen a lot of conflicting information on here in the past few days. There are still spots available, right? I spoke with the admissions office today to see where my application stood. (My mail delivery has been a mess since the flooding in MA, so I was worried I'd missed something.) They told me I'm under review and should hear in the next two weeks. I feel like it could go one of two ways:

1. They just slipped in the rankings and assume higher numbers will go elsewhere, so my 167/3.38 will get me in/waitlisted.

2. They just slipped in the rankings and want to push their numbers up, so they'll ding/waitlist me to try and raise their medians again.

Does anyone think either of these is likely?

I think there are definitely spots left as I was accepted last week, 167/3.4, so don't lose hope!

I met with an adcomm last week and she told me that they would definitely be pulling from the waitlist this year, because despite having so many applicants, they know many will choose other schools. So...i'm thinking, if they're planning on pulling from the WL, they're planning on still accepting people. so cheer up!

An acceptance would make my year. I've had a horrible cycle -- waitlisted at GW, American, W&M, and Notre Dame and the only place I was accepted is DePaul. I'm trying to decide if I should just re-apply if I don't get off a waitlist or into Fordham.

OperaSoprano

Postby OperaSoprano » Wed Apr 14, 2010 2:40 pm

starsong wrote:
OperaSoprano wrote:(That in itself is a major opportunity cost: you would have to be top 5% to do it, and giving up top 5% + law review at Fordham is a gigantic sacrifice. I honestly believe career opportunities would be better for that hypothetical student if he stayed.)

OS, just curious, do you know of any Fordham top 5% people who transferred to CLS and made the Columbia Law Review via the (pre-admission) write-on competition?

No, I don't know the people who actually did this. My information comes from a 2L who knew what his own classmates had done. I'm not in the top 5% presently, so it doesn't have an impact on me. :oops:

goosey

Postby goosey » Wed Apr 14, 2010 3:18 pm

I'm sad about the rankings slip as well, but at the end of the day I don't think it makes a difference for Fordham. It was next in line after the t14s for the nyc market and it still is.

I still have not officially withdrawn from Fordham. Can't do itttt. Brooklyns ranking slip actually scared me a bit--its only 1 point away from st johns now.

I wonder if I have a shot in getting off the waitlist for pt...

starsong

Postby starsong » Wed Apr 14, 2010 3:20 pm

OperaSoprano wrote:
starsong wrote:
OperaSoprano wrote:(That in itself is a major opportunity cost: you would have to be top 5% to do it, and giving up top 5% + law review at Fordham is a gigantic sacrifice. I honestly believe career opportunities would be better for that hypothetical student if he stayed.)

OS, just curious, do you know of any Fordham top 5% people who transferred to CLS and made the Columbia Law Review via the (pre-admission) write-on competition?

No, I don't know the people who actually did this. My information comes from a 2L who knew what his own classmates had done. I'm not in the top 5% presently, so it doesn't have an impact on me. :oops:

Gotcha. Thanks!

Mattalones

Postby Mattalones » Wed Apr 14, 2010 3:39 pm

Also, posted in Class of 12/13, but:

Called to deposit today. They said that they couldn't process my application b/c they still nee dot update my records. They also said they would call me Friday, which is after the deposit deadline. I asked if I could still be held accountable to the deadline. They said "no" but wouldn't put it in writing. They told me that I was NOT the only one. Has anyone had this happen here on TLS? Please let me know. I am a bit worried.

Columbia Law

Postby Columbia Law » Wed Apr 14, 2010 5:37 pm

Note to OS: I didn't mean the "Bye, Bye Fordham Factor" as anything bad. I always liked Fordham and I hope my brother gets in. We'll have a "Yankees/Red Sox" thing going in my family. Just wanted to see people's reactions to the rankings. Fordham is the "coolest" school in New York in my opinion. Not ranked too high so people think their s*** don't stink and still a great school. Good luck to all.

empire84

Postby empire84 » Thu Apr 15, 2010 10:36 am

down
Last edited by empire84 on Wed Jul 27, 2011 11:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

ShibaDan

Postby ShibaDan » Thu Apr 15, 2010 10:40 am

Withdrew just now! I hope it helps one of you guys! Good luck!

chutzpah

Postby chutzpah » Thu Apr 15, 2010 11:57 am

Hi Fordham Friends. I sent a note to Dean Brown and the admissions staff withdrawing and asking them to pretty please give my spot and $$ to any of the frequent posters in the TLS Fordham Waiting Room thread. Good luck all!

hannah87

Postby hannah87 » Thu Apr 15, 2010 11:59 am

chutzpah wrote:Hi Fordham Friends. I sent a note to Dean Brown and the admissions staff withdrawing and asking them to pretty please give my spot and $$ to any of the frequent posters in the TLS Fordham Waiting Room thread. Good luck all!

so Kennedy School it is??

and the beast

Postby and the beast » Thu Apr 15, 2010 11:59 am

chutzpah wrote:Hi Fordham Friends. I sent a note to Dean Brown and the admissions staff withdrawing and asking them to pretty please give my spot and $$ to any of the frequent posters in the TLS Fordham Waiting Room thread. Good luck all!

HAHA. i love you so much i just might marry you.

SAE

Postby SAE » Thu Apr 15, 2010 11:59 am

Niice! However, I don't think anyone outside of OperaSoprano has revealed themselves. :mrgreen:

OperaSoprano

Postby OperaSoprano » Thu Apr 15, 2010 12:12 pm

Columbia Law wrote:Note to OS: I didn't mean the "Bye, Bye Fordham Factor" as anything bad. I always liked Fordham and I hope my brother gets in. We'll have a "Yankees/Red Sox" thing going in my family. Just wanted to see people's reactions to the rankings. Fordham is the "coolest" school in New York in my opinion. Not ranked too high so people think their s*** don't stink and still a great school. Good luck to all.

Columbia Law (the poster, not the school, LOL), I was never upset with you, nor were you the reason that thread got shut down. There was a troll who made about ten alts, and it was a job for the mod team to catch and ban all his IP addresses. I also appreciate the people who tried to defend me, but I haven't made my rank public, and I know people will speculate now.

BTW, I've always liked Fordham's "spot", because the school is good enough that my friends at T14s respect me as a student there, but not so highly ranked that I would be an elitist douche for school trolling. (Can you imagine if some Harvard student came along and went on about all the ways in which HLS is amazing? It is, but trolling for HLS wouldn't work out too well.)

OperaSoprano

Postby OperaSoprano » Thu Apr 15, 2010 12:13 pm

goosey wrote:I'm sad about the rankings slip as well, but at the end of the day I don't think it makes a difference for Fordham. It was next in line after the t14s for the nyc market and it still is.

I still have not officially withdrawn from Fordham. Can't do itttt. Brooklyns ranking slip actually scared me a bit--its only 1 point away from st johns now.

I wonder if I have a shot in getting off the waitlist for pt...

Goosey, you should PM blsingindisguise. This person is quite informative, and truly knows what he/she is talking about.

chutzpah

Postby chutzpah » Thu Apr 15, 2010 12:19 pm

hannah87 wrote:

so Kennedy School it is??

Yup! I may wind up doing a joint degree so I haven't withdrawn from Georgetown yet and I'm staying on the CLS waitlist, but I'm 99% sure I'm going to Kennedy next year. I'm still not sure that I want to practice law, and I'm super excited about Kennedy, so I think its the better fit for me... for now at least.

Steve Zissou

Postby Steve Zissou » Thu Apr 15, 2010 1:19 pm

Well, I caved... I sent in a seat deposit to Brooklyn. The $45,200 scholarship per year with lax strings and an extra $5,000 housing stipend pretty much sealed the deal.

Uh, that and I'm waitlisted at Fordham (since December)... :lol:

Fordham waitlisters that are stuck in NYC: As for Brooklyn vs. Cardozo, it doesn't really matter, right? Either school and you'll have to gun for the top 10% to get most any job you want... I chose Brooklyn because it has more of the clinics I want.

Goosey: See you there. I haven't/won't withdraw from Fordham either. I really wanted to go there for familial/familiarity/neighborhood reasons... and I'm still curious if they'd accept me off the waitlist.

Cardboardbox

Postby Cardboardbox » Thu Apr 15, 2010 2:43 pm

Woo, I haven't been on here a while, 300+ pages O_O

Anyways, grats to all those accepted and put down your seat deposits! I get a little excited I read someone withdrew, hoping that'll open up a spot for me :x hope there'll be some movement soon!

MikeAttack

Postby MikeAttack » Fri Apr 16, 2010 10:07 am

Decided not to accept Fordham's offer of admission, so that's one more spot for you!

May all the waitlisters in the world find peace in the next few weeks. :)

rockthelaw

Postby rockthelaw » Fri Apr 16, 2010 10:10 am

Well, first deposit was due/had to be postmarked by yesterday, so maybe us waitlisters will start hearing something next week...

Anybody still complete with no initial accept/WL/deny decision?

Zapatero

Postby Zapatero » Fri Apr 16, 2010 10:30 am

Am I the only person who went complete in November and has yet to hear anything at all?

nygrrrl

Postby nygrrrl » Fri Apr 16, 2010 10:55 am

Zapatero wrote:Am I the only person who went complete in November and has yet to hear anything at all?

:: sneaks in. looks around. takes deep breath. ::
Me. 22 weeks, no decision whatsoever.
:: runs away ::

rockthelaw

Postby rockthelaw » Fri Apr 16, 2010 10:56 am

nygrrrl wrote:
Zapatero wrote:Am I the only person who went complete in November and has yet to hear anything at all?

OMG she's back!

We haven't seen Sibley around these here parts for a while, so you might be safe :D

hannah87

Postby hannah87 » Fri Apr 16, 2010 10:58 am

rockthelaw wrote:
nygrrrl wrote:

OMG she's back!

We haven't seen Sibley around these here parts for a while, so you might be safe :D

i was just wondering where nygrrrl was! have you been in touch with admissions lately?

SaintClarence27

Postby SaintClarence27 » Fri Apr 16, 2010 10:59 am

Just FYI, but they gave me an extension to the 23rd due to my late admission for the seat deposit. It was automatic.

rockthelaw

Postby rockthelaw » Fri Apr 16, 2010 11:05 am

SaintClarence27 wrote:Just FYI, but they gave me an extension to the 23rd due to my late admission for the seat deposit. It was automatic.

Good to know, thanks.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”