Fordham Waiting Room

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
sibley
Posts: 2983
Joined: Wed Mar 04, 2009 2:38 pm

Re: Fordham Waiting Room

Postby sibley » Tue Apr 13, 2010 2:00 pm

H. E. Pennypacker wrote:
evilgenius wrote:
afghan007 wrote:
samiam123 wrote:any 1/29 completes still waiting on a decision from Fordham or am I the only one?


edit: thought so :(


1/29 here and waiting


Still waiting. 1/29 complete


You could pass the time by trying to take over the world...


who are you? pinky?
I'm trying to decide if I care to stay on the waitlist. I sent in my LOCI and everything but... well if GW goes back to its normal ranking I see no reason to...

joecane
Posts: 12
Joined: Wed Mar 31, 2010 1:47 pm

Re: Fordham Waiting Room

Postby joecane » Tue Apr 13, 2010 2:01 pm

evilgenius wrote:
afghan007 wrote:
samiam123 wrote:any 1/29 completes still waiting on a decision from Fordham or am I the only one?


edit: thought so :(


1/29 here and waiting


Still waiting. 1/29 complete


I went complete on 1/29 and received acceptance email on March 31st so it should be safe to assume that they should be getting around to the other applications complete on 1/29.

User avatar
evilgenius
Posts: 179
Joined: Fri Mar 19, 2010 12:18 pm

Re: Fordham Waiting Room

Postby evilgenius » Tue Apr 13, 2010 2:10 pm

H. E. Pennypacker wrote:
evilgenius wrote:
afghan007 wrote:
samiam123 wrote:any 1/29 completes still waiting on a decision from Fordham or am I the only one?


edit: thought so :(


1/29 here and waiting


Still waiting. 1/29 complete


You could pass the time by trying to take over the world...


I may not even get the opportunity to take over Fordham University. :-(

phonepro
Posts: 271
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 8:59 pm

Re: Fordham Waiting Room

Postby phonepro » Tue Apr 13, 2010 5:06 pm

if 50% of Fordhams 2009 class winded up at bigfirms, i dont understand why you would go to CLS for sticker over Fordham for free?

User avatar
SAE
Posts: 650
Joined: Thu Aug 20, 2009 5:47 pm

Re: Fordham Waiting Room

Postby SAE » Tue Apr 13, 2010 5:07 pm

Fordham dropped from 30 to 34. Discuss.

phonepro
Posts: 271
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 8:59 pm

Re: Fordham Waiting Room

Postby phonepro » Tue Apr 13, 2010 5:08 pm

SAE wrote:Fordham dropped from 30 to 34. Discuss.


where is the new list?

User avatar
SAE
Posts: 650
Joined: Thu Aug 20, 2009 5:47 pm

Re: Fordham Waiting Room

Postby SAE » Tue Apr 13, 2010 5:10 pm

phonepro wrote:
SAE wrote:Fordham dropped from 30 to 34. Discuss.


where is the new list?

--ImageRemoved--

phonepro
Posts: 271
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 8:59 pm

Re: Fordham Waiting Room

Postby phonepro » Tue Apr 13, 2010 5:11 pm

SAE wrote:
phonepro wrote:
SAE wrote:Fordham dropped from 30 to 34. Discuss.


where is the new list?

--ImageRemoved--


what # is Brooklyn Law School out of curiosity?

User avatar
SAE
Posts: 650
Joined: Thu Aug 20, 2009 5:47 pm

Re: Fordham Waiting Room

Postby SAE » Tue Apr 13, 2010 5:15 pm

phonepro wrote:what # is Brooklyn Law School out of curiosity?

67

User avatar
LaurenGayle
Posts: 397
Joined: Mon Oct 19, 2009 10:35 am

Re: Fordham Waiting Room

Postby LaurenGayle » Tue Apr 13, 2010 5:16 pm

SAE wrote:Fordham dropped from 30 to 34. Discuss.


1. It's a bummer, especially since I don't believe Fordham should have dropped out of the top 30.

2. The rankings are pretty fluid, so I'm not super concerned. Staying in NYC makes the most sense for me, and since NYU and Columbia haven't really said a word to me since October, Fordham is still my absolute best choice.

3. My one big frustration -- the disparity now between GW and Fordham. 14 spots is a lot, and that fact alone would have made me consider GW a lot more. If nothing else, that could have been very helpful in negotiating scholarships if I hadn't already sent in my deposit.

User avatar
SAE
Posts: 650
Joined: Thu Aug 20, 2009 5:47 pm

Re: Fordham Waiting Room

Postby SAE » Tue Apr 13, 2010 5:22 pm

The numbers are rock solid. Is it the peer scores that are dragging Fordham down? Could the part-time program have anything to do with it?

User avatar
LaurenGayle
Posts: 397
Joined: Mon Oct 19, 2009 10:35 am

Re: Fordham Waiting Room

Postby LaurenGayle » Tue Apr 13, 2010 5:28 pm

SAE wrote:The numbers are rock solid. Is it the peer scores that are dragging Fordham down? Could the part-time program have anything to do with it?


Some people are saying that is the case (the PT program). I guess most places have trimmed down their PT program, while Fordham is just starting to do that this year. We'll see. I'm still happy with my choice.

But it was fun to email my boyfriend (who I am moving in with this summer) to say, "Look at the new rankings...you are so lucky I love you!" haha

User avatar
SaintClarence27
Posts: 700
Joined: Wed Jun 10, 2009 8:48 am

Re: Fordham Waiting Room

Postby SaintClarence27 » Tue Apr 13, 2010 7:06 pm

My eyes hurt!

Anyone have a text copy yet?

User avatar
SAE
Posts: 650
Joined: Thu Aug 20, 2009 5:47 pm

Re: Fordham Waiting Room

Postby SAE » Tue Apr 13, 2010 7:06 pm

SaintClarence27 wrote:My eyes hurt!

Anyone have a text copy yet?

No text yet, but this one's much better.

--LinkRemoved--

keg411
Posts: 5935
Joined: Tue Apr 21, 2009 9:10 pm

Re: Fordham Waiting Room

Postby keg411 » Tue Apr 13, 2010 7:13 pm

The only reason I applied to Fordham PT was to try and get into a Top 30. Now I have UGA's WL :D.

But seriously, Fordham is going to DING me anyway (whether now, or 2 months from now or whenever they see my GPA), so I don't have an issue getting my lulz in at their drop :lol:.

empire84
Posts: 100
Joined: Wed Oct 28, 2009 1:19 pm

Re: Fordham Waiting Room

Postby empire84 » Tue Apr 13, 2010 8:42 pm

not
Last edited by empire84 on Wed Jul 27, 2011 11:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
hannah87
Posts: 865
Joined: Fri Nov 13, 2009 10:37 am

Re: Fordham Waiting Room

Postby hannah87 » Tue Apr 13, 2010 8:53 pm

empire84 wrote:not loving fordham's rank. can i justify turning down ucla in favor of fordham?


totally comes down to wanting to work in nyc vs. wanting to work in cali.

empire84
Posts: 100
Joined: Wed Oct 28, 2009 1:19 pm

Re: Fordham Waiting Room

Postby empire84 » Tue Apr 13, 2010 9:00 pm

hannah87 wrote:
empire84 wrote:not loving fordham's rank. can i justify turning down ucla in favor of fordham?


totally comes down to wanting to work in nyc vs. wanting to work in cali.


you
Last edited by empire84 on Wed Jul 27, 2011 11:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

tesoro
Posts: 472
Joined: Fri Sep 11, 2009 8:10 pm

Re: Fordham Waiting Room

Postby tesoro » Tue Apr 13, 2010 9:04 pm

empire84 wrote:
hannah87 wrote:
empire84 wrote:not loving fordham's rank. can i justify turning down ucla in favor of fordham?


totally comes down to wanting to work in nyc vs. wanting to work in cali.


you don't think ucla has a case that it can place as well as fordham in nyc? they seem to think they do.


please substantiate this claim

ViP
Posts: 419
Joined: Tue Oct 13, 2009 11:53 pm

Re: Fordham Waiting Room

Postby ViP » Tue Apr 13, 2010 9:08 pm

empire84 wrote:
hannah87 wrote:
empire84 wrote:not loving fordham's rank. can i justify turning down ucla in favor of fordham?


totally comes down to wanting to work in nyc vs. wanting to work in cali.


you don't think ucla has a case that it can place as well as fordham in nyc? they seem to think they do.


Don't count on it. Law school is about networking, and Fordham d.o.m.i.n.a.t.e.s NYC.

empire84
Posts: 100
Joined: Wed Oct 28, 2009 1:19 pm

Re: Fordham Waiting Room

Postby empire84 » Tue Apr 13, 2010 9:17 pm

tesoro wrote:
empire84 wrote:
hannah87 wrote:
empire84 wrote:not loving fordham's rank. can i justify turning down ucla in favor of fordham?


totally comes down to wanting to work in nyc vs. wanting to work in cali.


you don't think ucla has a case that it can place as well as fordham in nyc? they seem to think they do.


please substantiate this claim


Conversations I've had with alums and a current student have essentially touched on the fact that (obv) most UCLA grads self-select LA/SoCal, so while UCLA's overall network in NYC can't compare with Fordham's, their ability to place 25-50 students a year versus Fordham's 400-500 give them an edge up per student. They've stressed that to many firms and in several cases, rankings DO matter and sometimes strive for (school) diversity of their incoming associates. You know, more for the website. :)

I'm also not claiming I buy into this logic, but I'm trying to see both sides. I'll be inferring more during ASD this Sunday.

Having a really rough time with this decision...

User avatar
hannah87
Posts: 865
Joined: Fri Nov 13, 2009 10:37 am

Re: Fordham Waiting Room

Postby hannah87 » Tue Apr 13, 2010 9:26 pm

empire84 wrote:
Conversations I've had with alums and a current student have essentially touched on the fact that (obv) most UCLA grads self-select LA/SoCal, so while UCLA's overall network in NYC can't compare with Fordham's, their ability to place 25-50 students a year versus Fordham's 400-500 give them an edge up per student. They've stressed that to many firms and in several cases, rankings DO matter and sometimes strive for (school) diversity of their incoming associates. You know, more for the website. :)

I'm also not claiming I buy into this logic, but I'm trying to see both sides. I'll be inferring more during ASD this Sunday.

Having a really rough time with this decision...


good luck! see how much of a "fit" you feel at ASD, and then take it from there.

empire84
Posts: 100
Joined: Wed Oct 28, 2009 1:19 pm

Re: Fordham Waiting Room

Postby empire84 » Tue Apr 13, 2010 9:30 pm

hannah87 wrote:
empire84 wrote:
Conversations I've had with alums and a current student have essentially touched on the fact that (obv) most UCLA grads self-select LA/SoCal, so while UCLA's overall network in NYC can't compare with Fordham's, their ability to place 25-50 students a year versus Fordham's 400-500 give them an edge up per student. They've stressed that to many firms and in several cases, rankings DO matter and sometimes strive for (school) diversity of their incoming associates. You know, more for the website. :)

I'm also not claiming I buy into this logic, but I'm trying to see both sides. I'll be inferring more during ASD this Sunday.

Having a really rough time with this decision...


good luck! see how much of a "fit" you feel at ASD, and then take it from there.


thanks! if fordham was as generous with scholly $ for me as they were for you, this would be a much easier decision :)

tesoro
Posts: 472
Joined: Fri Sep 11, 2009 8:10 pm

Re: Fordham Waiting Room

Postby tesoro » Tue Apr 13, 2010 9:43 pm

empire84 wrote:Conversations I've had with alums and a current student have essentially touched on the fact that (obv) most UCLA grads self-select LA/SoCal, so while UCLA's overall network in NYC can't compare with Fordham's, their ability to place 25-50 students a year versus Fordham's 400-500 give them an edge up per student. They've stressed that to many firms and in several cases, rankings DO matter and sometimes strive for (school) diversity of their incoming associates. You know, more for the website. :)

I'm also not claiming I buy into this logic, but I'm trying to see both sides. I'll be inferring more during ASD this Sunday.

Having a really rough time with this decision...


What you say is valid. And let me be clear that UCLA is an awesome school. I'd be careful though. ITE, with less jobs available, networking has become more important than ever. UCLA places a tons of grads in SoCal, and UCLA alums know what to expect from graduating UCLA lawyers. So they're a lot more comfortable hiring their own.

The same phenomenon exists with Fordham. Many argue that Fordham grads self-select to NYC and that's why they don't have a strong presence elsewhere. While self-selection is highly likely, this lends itself to Fordham grads being in every corner of the NYC market. Since there are more Fordham alums in NYC than UCLA alums, there are likely more Fordham hiring partners than UCLA hiring partners. And when these Fordham hiring partners are hiring, who would they be more likely to pick? A top 25% UCLA student? Or a top 25% Fordham student? The converse exists in SoCal.

You can't make a poor decision here. But do realize that while UCLA has more portability than Fordham nationwide given its prestige, competing with Fordham grads in Fordham's home market will not be a walk in the park.

Going to ASDs is a great idea. Pick the better fit (both school and location) and make sure you'd be happy starting your career in that location. If I got into UCLA, I'd be seriously considering moving to LA myself and starting a new life there (I'd also be very, very torn with the idea of leaving NYC).

empire84
Posts: 100
Joined: Wed Oct 28, 2009 1:19 pm

Re: Fordham Waiting Room

Postby empire84 » Tue Apr 13, 2010 10:11 pm

tesoro wrote:
empire84 wrote:Conversations I've had with alums and a current student have essentially touched on the fact that (obv) most UCLA grads self-select LA/SoCal, so while UCLA's overall network in NYC can't compare with Fordham's, their ability to place 25-50 students a year versus Fordham's 400-500 give them an edge up per student. They've stressed that to many firms and in several cases, rankings DO matter and sometimes strive for (school) diversity of their incoming associates. You know, more for the website. :)

I'm also not claiming I buy into this logic, but I'm trying to see both sides. I'll be inferring more during ASD this Sunday.

Having a really rough time with this decision...


What you say is valid. And let me be clear that UCLA is an awesome school. I'd be careful though. ITE, with less jobs available, networking has become more important than ever. UCLA places a tons of grads in SoCal, and UCLA alums know what to expect from graduating UCLA lawyers. So they're a lot more comfortable hiring their own.

The same phenomenon exists with Fordham. Many argue that Fordham grads self-select to NYC and that's why they don't have a strong presence elsewhere. While self-selection is highly likely, this lends itself to Fordham grads being in every corner of the NYC market. Since there are more Fordham alums in NYC than UCLA alums, there are likely more Fordham hiring partners than UCLA hiring partners. And when these Fordham hiring partners are hiring, who would they be more likely to pick? A top 25% UCLA student? Or a top 25% Fordham student? The converse exists in SoCal.

You can't make a poor decision here. But do realize that while UCLA has more portability than Fordham nationwide given its prestige, competing with Fordham grads in Fordham's home market will not be a walk in the park.

Going to ASDs is a great idea. Pick the better fit (both school and location) and make sure you'd be happy starting your career in that location. If I got into UCLA, I'd be seriously considering moving to LA myself and starting a new life there (I'd also be very, very torn with the idea of leaving NYC).


I appreciate the response and, like you would be, I am considering a move, but very, very (very) torn with the idea of leaving NYC, even if it's only for just 3 years.




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: AustinLu, Cjsanders2, Long shot hero, MSNbot Media, stereolove14 and 15 guests