Fordham Waiting Room

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Stellar

Re: Fordham Waiting Room

Postby Stellar » Fri Apr 09, 2010 11:46 pm

Foosters Galore wrote:Ok, so WL just came in the mail today. Was thinking about just stuffing my LOCI in the return envelope. Thoughts?

That's what I did. Worked like a charm. I know for sure they got it.

SaintClarence27

Postby SaintClarence27 » Sat Apr 10, 2010 4:09 pm

Okay, so I got my acceptance letter in the mail today - no word about merit aid. Does that mean I don't get any?

P.S. GIVE ME MONEY!

hannah87

Postby hannah87 » Sat Apr 10, 2010 9:20 pm

SaintClarence27 wrote:Okay, so I got my acceptance letter in the mail today - no word about merit aid. Does that mean I don't get any?

P.S. GIVE ME MONEY!

it's a separate letter!

SaintClarence27

Postby SaintClarence27 » Sat Apr 10, 2010 10:24 pm

hannah87 wrote:
SaintClarence27 wrote:Okay, so I got my acceptance letter in the mail today - no word about merit aid. Does that mean I don't get any?

P.S. GIVE ME MONEY!

it's a separate letter!

How long until I would conceivably get it? I'm just kind of in a need-to-know situation, as there's no way I will be attending Fordham without significant money. I just can't afford it! Should I email and ask about it? Call?

hannah87

Postby hannah87 » Sat Apr 10, 2010 11:32 pm

SaintClarence27 wrote:
hannah87 wrote:

P.S. GIVE ME MONEY!

it's a separate letter!

How long until I would conceivably get it? I'm just kind of in a need-to-know situation, as there's no way I will be attending Fordham without significant money. I just can't afford it! Should I email and ask about it? Call?

definitely call. they didn't answer either of my 2 emails about money. my merit aid letter came around 10 days after my acceptance letter. good luck!!

xokel87

Postby xokel87 » Sun Apr 11, 2010 1:25 am

SaintClarence27 wrote:
hannah87 wrote:

P.S. GIVE ME MONEY!

it's a separate letter!

I called a while ago and they told me my lsat looked too low but they'd get back to me. Yep, too low.. no money. 165/3.92. Good luck though!

SAE

Postby SAE » Mon Apr 12, 2010 6:06 pm

What? This thread has been inactive for 40+ hours??

NU_Jet55

Postby NU_Jet55 » Mon Apr 12, 2010 6:35 pm

SAE wrote:What? This thread has been inactive for 40+ hours??

1 hour for every day that the Fordham admissions office has been inactive.

evilgenius

Postby evilgenius » Mon Apr 12, 2010 7:48 pm

NU_Jet55 wrote:
SAE wrote:What? This thread has been inactive for 40+ hours??

1 hour for every day that the Fordham admissions office has been inactive.

LOL! I was just agonizing over getting the silent treatment from Fordham, but this comment immediately cheered me up. :-)

chicoalto0649

Postby chicoalto0649 » Mon Apr 12, 2010 10:38 pm

Not sure if everyone saw the most recent 2009 graduation stats. so I'd post it here. Seems pretty legit amirite?

Class of 2009
General Employment Statistics (98.93% of the Class of 2009 reported employment information)

At Graduation Employment Rate: 81.68%
9 Month Out Employment Rate: 96.13%

Salary Information:

• Average Salary: $128,017
• Median Salary: $160,000

I. Type of Employment
With 93.02% of graduates reporting salary information, the average and median salaries by employment category are:

Type of
Employer Percentage of
Reported
(known employed) Average
Salary Median
Salary
Private Practice
(Law Firm) 70.46% $145,494 $160,000
Business/Industry 8.14% $123,179 $95,000
Judicial Clerkship 5.12% $57,757 $59,500
Government 5.35% $56,486 $57,000
Public Interest 5.12% $33,765 $24,000
Academic 5.58% $31,000 $24,000
Military 0% -- --
Unknown 0.23% -- --
II. Law Firm Size
With 95.38% of graduates in Private Practice reporting salary information, the average and median salaries by firm size are:
Law Firm Size Pecentage of
Reported Average
Salary Median
Salary
Solo 0% -- --
2-10 Attorneys 8.91% $62,448 $60,000
11-25 Attorneys 2.31% $66,367 $66,000
26-50 Attorneys 3.63% $85,545 $81,000
51-100 Attorneys 4.95% $126,714 $127,500
101-250 Attorneys* 9.24% $149,111 $160,000
251-500 Attorneys* 12.54% $158,289 $160,000
501+ Attorneys* 57.10% $160,405 $160,000
Firm Size Unknown 1.32% -- --
Class of 2009: 50.85% of the graduating class reported employment at law firms with 101+ attorneys.
* In the Spring of 2009 some large law firms began to announce that incoming associates' start dates would be deferred by a few months to a year. Each firm had a different situation and not every firm deferred start dates. NALP provided guidance to law schools that they should report these students as employed at their firms regardless of their start date and if they were volunteering at public sector employers during their deferral period; so the above chart reflects that. To assist prospective and admitted students in understanding this situation, we undertook an effort to obtain specific start dates for each of these graduates:
(i) 44% started with their firm in Fall 2009;
(ii) 28% started with their firm in January/February 2010;
(iii) 4% will start with their firm in Spring 2010;
(iv) 9% will start with their firm in Fall 2010; and
(v) 3% will start with their firm in January 2011.
(Of the graduates employed at large law firms 88% responded with their specific start date; the remaining 12% while confirming employment did not provide us with their start date). Those whose start dates were deferred to the Spring 2010 or later, received stipends from their firms and are currently volunteering and gaining legal experience in a variety of public sector settings.
Regional/Geographic Information
With 99.30% reporting geographic information on their employment:

Region Percentage of
Reported
New England
(CT, ME, MA, NH, RI, VT) 0.93%
Mid-Atlantic
(NY, NJ, PA) 89.07%
South-Atlantic
(DE, DC, FL, GA, MD, NC, SC, VA, WV) 3.49%
East North Central
(IL, IN, MI, OH, WI) 0.47%
West South Central
(AR, LA, OK, TX) 0.47%

Mountain
(AZ, CO, ID, MT, NV, NM, UT, WY)
1.16%
Pacific
(AK, CA, HI, OR, WA) 2.32%
West North Central
(IA, KS, MN, MO, NE, ND, SD) 0%
East South Central
(AL, KY, MS, TN) 0%
International 1.39%
Unknown 0.70%
Representative Employers
Employers who visited Fordham Law during its 2009 Fall On-Campus Interview Program and 2010 Spring On-Campus Interview Program [PDF]. This list does not include employers who participated in our Resume Collect Programs nor our online Job Bank.
Information Regarding Fordham Law Recruitment

1. Spring Recruiting Program: Each year from February through Mid-April the CPC organizes a Spring Recruiting Program, which includes the Spring On-Campus Interview Program and the Spring Resume Collect Program. These programs primarily facilitate first year hiring. The predominant employers are from the public sector (government and public interest). The vast majority of first years spend their summer working in the Public Sector, interning with judges, at government agencies or public interest organizations. A small number of law firms and corporate legal departments also participate in this Program.
2. Fall Recruiting Program: This is the largest recruiting program held by the CPC each year. It includes Early Interview Week (mid-August), Fall Weeks (September through October), and the Fall Resume Collect Program. These programs facilitate upper division student hiring for summer and permanent positions (Pursuant to NALP guidelines first year law students may not contact employers until December 1st of their first year). Early Interview Week is primarily comprised of large law firms hiring for their summer associate programs. The Fall Weeks component welcomes additional large firms, mid-size firms, government agencies and public interest organizations. Fordham’s Fall On-Campus Interview Program operates under a partial system, where employers select 60% of their interview schedule and the remaining 40% is determined by the Student Preference System.
3. Fordham Law Job Bank: The CPC hosts a proprietary and password protected Job Bank accessible to current students and alumni.
4. Public Interest Legal Career Fair and Equal Justice Works Career Fair: The Public Interest Resource Center (PIRC) coordinates Fordham Law students’ participation in these two career fairs which feature government agencies and public interest organizations from around the country.
5. Job Fairs: There are numerous regional job fairs around the country that the CPC disseminates information to students about participating.
6. The CPC actively assists students in their job searches through individual counseling, career development programs, guides and resources many of which are proprietary to Fordham Law School.

starsong

Postby starsong » Mon Apr 12, 2010 10:45 pm

Thanks chicoalto! There's a good analysis of these #s in the Choosing a Law Schools forum: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=110795

fenderjsm88

Postby fenderjsm88 » Tue Apr 13, 2010 12:16 am

withdrew today, freeing up about 22k.

musicfor18

Postby musicfor18 » Tue Apr 13, 2010 10:59 am

Have we seen any motion from the admissions office in the last day or so? I'm still at "complete" as of 2/21. Anyone know where they are in their reviewing at this point?

jl2032

Postby jl2032 » Tue Apr 13, 2010 11:42 am

I spent all this time obsessing over getting into CLS that I didn't think about how much I'm going to be paying. $240,000 in loans is ridiculous. It'll probably be more to cover my mortgage actually.

Fordham just raised the stakes with the financial aid package. It's basically free and I can work while I go since it's part time so COL is not an issue. I'll actually be able to save money while I go.

You guys would all take on the debt and go with CLS I assume?

starsong

Postby starsong » Tue Apr 13, 2010 11:43 am

jl2032 wrote:I spent all this time obsessing over getting into CLS that I didn't think about how much I'm going to be paying. $240,000 in loans is ridiculous. It'll probably be more to cover my mortgage actually.

Fordham just raised the stakes with the financial aid package. It's basically free and I can work while I go since it's part time so COL is not an issue. I'll actually be able to save money while I go.

Yes, which is why you should take Fordham and free up a spot! ;-)

hannah87

Postby hannah87 » Tue Apr 13, 2010 11:47 am

jl2032 wrote:I spent all this time obsessing over getting into CLS that I didn't think about how much I'm going to be paying. $240,000 in loans is ridiculous. It'll probably be more to cover my mortgage actually.

wow, tough call. you've had such a fantastic cycle! i would personally choose CLS, but would you want to work at your current firm after graduation? would it better your employement prospect to stay there during school?

jl2032

Postby jl2032 » Tue Apr 13, 2010 11:52 am

hannah87 wrote:

wow, tough call. you've had such a fantastic cycle! i would personally choose CLS, but would you want to work at your current firm after graduation? would it better your employement prospect to stay there during school?

I don't think I'd want to stay here long-term after graduation. If I did, I'd just take Fordham's offer.

I'm just scared that I'll get a better job out of CLS (and by better, I mean more interesting, better work environment), but it'll be wayyy longer hours than what I would do here for about the same pay.

hannah87

Postby hannah87 » Tue Apr 13, 2010 11:56 am

jl2032 wrote:
hannah87 wrote:

I don't think I'd want to stay here long-term after graduation. If I did, I'd just take Fordham's offer.

I'm just scared that I'll get a better job out of CLS (and by better, I mean more interesting, better work environment), but it'll be wayyy longer hours than what I would do here for about the same pay.

but it'd be more interesting and "better." i say go for CLS if you can possibly handle the debt because if you change your mind about what you want to do down the road, the degree will get you a lot farther.

a near-full ride at Fordham is nothing to sneeze at, though. they apparently see huge potential in you and expect you to do very well...which would put you in the same position for securing biglaw jobs as CLS would. so i basically just rambled and came to the conclusion that it's a super tough call. i would personally go with CLS.

starsong

Postby starsong » Tue Apr 13, 2010 11:58 am

jl2032 wrote:I don't think I'd want to stay here long-term after graduation. If I did, I'd just take Fordham's offer.

Seriously, from what I've heard, all biglaw gigs are basically the same: 90-100+ hour weeks, $160k starting pay at most NYC firms. Some shitty firms are starting people at $145k or instituting "performance" pay (read: salary cut), but you get the basic idea. CLS will definitely increase the likelihood of you getting a biglaw job at a better firm, but none (well almost none--WLRK is an exception) pay more than the published salary scale.

jl2032

Postby jl2032 » Tue Apr 13, 2010 12:08 pm

hannah87 wrote:
jl2032 wrote:
hannah87 wrote:

but it'd be more interesting and "better." i say go for CLS if you can possibly handle the debt because if you change your mind about what you want to do down the road, the degree will get you a lot farther.

a near-full ride at Fordham is nothing to sneeze at, though. they apparently see huge potential in you and expect you to do very well...which would put you in the same position for securing biglaw jobs as CLS would. so i basically just rambled and came to the conclusion that it's a super tough call. i would personally go with CLS.

Are you still waiting at NYU or CLS? Cuz if I could, I'd give up a spot and specify that it go to you.

I think I'm pretty decided on CLS. After four years, the difference really isn't too much.

Fordham - I'd come out of it in 4 years with no debt but no real savings because most of the $200,000 I'd make working part time for 4 years will be used up for COL.

CLS - If I use up some of my savings, and worked the summers, I'd come out in 3 years with a debt of at the most $200,000 and the fourth year, instead of being in school for another year, I could make $160,000 - only around $50,000 of which I would need for COL, so it would reduce the debt significantly. Financially, going to CLS would only set me back maybe one or two years. I think I'm willing to do that.

hannah87

Postby hannah87 » Tue Apr 13, 2010 12:19 pm

jl2032 wrote:
Are you still waiting at NYU or CLS? Cuz if I could, I'd give up a spot and specify that it go to you.

I think I'm pretty decided on CLS. After four years, the difference really isn't too much.

Fordham - I'd come out of it in 4 years with no debt but no real savings because most of the $200,000 I'd make working part time for 4 years will be used up for COL.

CLS - If I use up some of my savings, and worked the summers, I'd come out in 3 years with a debt of at the most $200,000 and the fourth year, instead of being in school for another year, I could make $160,000 - only around $50,000 of which I would need for COL, so it would reduce the debt significantly. Financially, going to CLS would only set me back maybe one or two years. I think I'm willing to do that.

it sounds like you've thought this through pretty carefully and i think you're making the right choice. also, if you took Fordham's offer and things didn't turn out the way you wanted, you would always wonder what would have happened if you'd gone to CLS.

that said, give me your spot at NYU :wink: !

seriously, though- congratulations! you really can't go wrong.

samiam123

Postby samiam123 » Tue Apr 13, 2010 12:44 pm

any 1/29 completes still waiting on a decision from Fordham or am I the only one?

edit: thought so :(

afghan007

Postby afghan007 » Tue Apr 13, 2010 1:07 pm

samiam123 wrote:any 1/29 completes still waiting on a decision from Fordham or am I the only one?

1/29 here and waiting

evilgenius

Postby evilgenius » Tue Apr 13, 2010 1:22 pm

afghan007 wrote:
samiam123 wrote:any 1/29 completes still waiting on a decision from Fordham or am I the only one?

1/29 here and waiting

Still waiting. 1/29 complete

H. E. Pennypacker

Postby H. E. Pennypacker » Tue Apr 13, 2010 1:54 pm

evilgenius wrote:
afghan007 wrote:

1/29 here and waiting

Still waiting. 1/29 complete

You could pass the time by trying to take over the world...

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”