Fordham Waiting Room

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
User avatar
SaintClarence27
Posts: 700
Joined: Wed Jun 10, 2009 8:48 am

Re: Fordham Waiting Room

Postby SaintClarence27 » Wed Apr 07, 2010 4:09 pm

WL to Minnesota. Damn. Damn. Damn.

It was my dark horse!

User avatar
chicoalto0649
Posts: 1172
Joined: Sat Dec 06, 2008 11:34 pm

Re: Fordham Waiting Room

Postby chicoalto0649 » Wed Apr 07, 2010 4:22 pm

SaintClarence27 wrote:WL to Minnesota. Damn. Damn. Damn.

It was my dark horse!



It took them that long to waitlist you?

User avatar
evilgenius
Posts: 179
Joined: Fri Mar 19, 2010 12:18 pm

Re: Fordham Waiting Room

Postby evilgenius » Wed Apr 07, 2010 4:28 pm

I still haven't heard from them and I had to send a deposit elsewhere (complete 1/14). I'm trying not to have another tantrum. Not sure if there's a way for schools to tell if you have sent a deposit elsewhere so I just e-mailed a LOCI explaining that I had to submit a deposit elsewhere, but Fordham is my top choice. Is anyone else on this thread still waiting for a decision? Or are most folks here waiting out the waitlist?

User avatar
SaintClarence27
Posts: 700
Joined: Wed Jun 10, 2009 8:48 am

Re: Fordham Waiting Room

Postby SaintClarence27 » Wed Apr 07, 2010 4:34 pm

chicoalto0649 wrote:
SaintClarence27 wrote:WL to Minnesota. Damn. Damn. Damn.

It was my dark horse!



It took them that long to waitlist you?


Well, it wasn't THAT long (in law school application relativism). I applied 1/29.

cnc2114
Posts: 33
Joined: Tue Dec 29, 2009 5:56 pm

Re: Fordham Waiting Room

Postby cnc2114 » Wed Apr 07, 2010 4:37 pm

Still waiting on a decision. Complete 2/22.

nymario
Posts: 239
Joined: Mon Apr 05, 2010 7:57 pm

Re: Fordham Waiting Room

Postby nymario » Wed Apr 07, 2010 5:06 pm

tesoro wrote:I have a different impression. Last year, WL was used extensively is the rumor. This year, Dean Brown gave the impression that they overadmitted (during ASD), saying they were shocked at an "overwhelming response" to offers of admission. It's just conjecture, but convincing enough that I'm sweating the fact they haven't yet acknowledged my seat deposit.

so yeah, make other plans but still keep your fingers crossed.

also, +1 to dating crazy people.


What you say is the general impression I had for Full Time (at many places, in fact). My question was more whether a FT WL with more of a PT profile has a decent shot when adding that to the mix. I know none of this affects the FT WL (and I'd still attend FL if they picked me up) -- specifically: would anyone rate the PT WL as a "good bet" (since I didn't initially apply to the PT program, only adding it after the WL)?

tesoro
Posts: 472
Joined: Fri Sep 11, 2009 8:10 pm

Re: Fordham Waiting Room

Postby tesoro » Wed Apr 07, 2010 5:42 pm

nymario wrote:
tesoro wrote:I have a different impression. Last year, WL was used extensively is the rumor. This year, Dean Brown gave the impression that they overadmitted (during ASD), saying they were shocked at an "overwhelming response" to offers of admission. It's just conjecture, but convincing enough that I'm sweating the fact they haven't yet acknowledged my seat deposit.

so yeah, make other plans but still keep your fingers crossed.

also, +1 to dating crazy people.


What you say is the general impression I had for Full Time (at many places, in fact). My question was more whether a FT WL with more of a PT profile has a decent shot when adding that to the mix. I know none of this affects the FT WL (and I'd still attend FL if they picked me up) -- specifically: would anyone rate the PT WL as a "good bet" (since I didn't initially apply to the PT program, only adding it after the WL)?



I wouldn't say it's a "good bet." Dean Brown stated that they are definitely adding seats to the FT class "due to interest" (read: they overenrolled and most of their applicants want to attend full-time), and are subtracting an equal amount of seats from the PT division to preserve the overall class size. The justification was that "most students transfer to FT after 1 year, so we're just frontloading the process," but the cynic in me thinks this is just how they're handling what happened in order to look like they planned for the situation. Or they're thinly veiling a run at the rankings. At any rate, switching your app to PT only is not a sound idea because there are significantly less seats, so if it's possible, you should probably keep yourself on both waitlists.

nymario
Posts: 239
Joined: Mon Apr 05, 2010 7:57 pm

Re: Fordham Waiting Room

Postby nymario » Wed Apr 07, 2010 5:55 pm

tesoro wrote:

I wouldn't say it's a "good bet." Dean Brown stated that they are definitely adding seats to the FT class "due to interest" (read: they overenrolled and most of their applicants want to attend full-time), and are subtracting an equal amount of seats from the PT division to preserve the overall class size. The justification was that "most students transfer to FT after 1 year, so we're just frontloading the process," but the cynic in me thinks this is just how they're handling what happened in order to look like they planned for the situation. Or they're thinly veiling a run at the rankings. At any rate, switching your app to PT only is not a sound idea because there are significantly less seats, so if it's possible, you should probably keep yourself on both waitlists.


To clarify, this was as addition, not a switch. I am now on both lists.

User avatar
badpixie
Posts: 240
Joined: Thu Feb 04, 2010 7:42 pm

Re: Fordham Waiting Room

Postby badpixie » Wed Apr 07, 2010 6:08 pm

Still waiting. Submitted 2/28. I have a feeling I'll be kicking around here for a while.

User avatar
MrSoOoFLy
Posts: 263
Joined: Mon Dec 29, 2008 5:36 pm

Re: Fordham Waiting Room

Postby MrSoOoFLy » Wed Apr 07, 2010 7:31 pm

complete as of 2/23 .... waiting for that wait list =]

User avatar
Columbia Law
Posts: 295
Joined: Wed Nov 11, 2009 7:51 pm

Re: Fordham Waiting Room

Postby Columbia Law » Wed Apr 07, 2010 8:56 pm

Yeah, I agree with tesoro. My brother talked to a few people who would know and it doesn't sound good. He has a 164/ 3.9x (3.8x) and applied for PT. They all said that they would be shocked if even a single person gets off of the waitlist this year. It was Fordham's toughest year yet and they over-extended their arm in admission. The impression I get is that 40 to 50 of the people who ACCEPTED their offer would have to turn before the waitlist is even considered.

He is pretty upset about the whole thing but I advise him to apply as soon as possible next year.

musicfor18
Posts: 692
Joined: Mon Feb 09, 2009 9:15 pm

Re: Fordham Waiting Room

Postby musicfor18 » Wed Apr 07, 2010 9:27 pm

MrSoOoFLy wrote:complete as of 2/23 .... waiting for that wait list =]


I'm complete about the same time. I feel like we're gonna be waiting a WHILE!

User avatar
goosey
Posts: 1543
Joined: Tue Aug 19, 2008 11:48 pm

Re: Fordham Waiting Room

Postby goosey » Thu Apr 08, 2010 12:07 am

hello fordham friends!

I have sad news :( I will be withdrawing my application because...well..I kind of have no choice. Brooklyn upped my scholarship to 45,200 per year, which means full tuition, books, and $110 extra dollars (unlimited metro card?)---I have a lot of reasons for taking this money and running with it. But I am really sad for sealing my fate at fordham. I hope I can atleast be a visiting student during 3L to take the classes I wanted to take.

I'm stoked about the brooklyn offer, but its still bittersweet because I really wanted to go to fordham. oh well.

best of luck to everyone!

User avatar
chicoalto0649
Posts: 1172
Joined: Sat Dec 06, 2008 11:34 pm

Re: Fordham Waiting Room

Postby chicoalto0649 » Thu Apr 08, 2010 12:11 am

goosey wrote:hello fordham friends!

I have sad news :( I will be withdrawing my application because...well..I kind of have no choice. Brooklyn upped my scholarship to 45,200 per year, which means full tuition, books, and $110 extra dollars (unlimited metro card?)---I have a lot of reasons for taking this money and running with it. But I am really sad for sealing my fate at fordham. I hope I can atleast be a visiting student during 3L to take the classes I wanted to take.

I'm stoked about the brooklyn offer, but its still bittersweet because I really wanted to go to fordham. oh well.

best of luck to everyone!




Aw. Nothing wrong with chasing the money! GL at Brooklyn

User avatar
NervousInKC
Posts: 153
Joined: Tue Feb 09, 2010 2:45 pm

Re: Fordham Waiting Room

Postby NervousInKC » Thu Apr 08, 2010 12:33 am

Complete 2/5. Still waiting!

I sent in a seat deposit to the University of Missouri today... they offered me full tuition so I couldn't really pass it up. Plus the COL is amazingly cheap there :D I just hope Fordham comes through for me so I can go there instead!

What do you guys think? Do you think a T30 education would be overwhelmingly better than a free education at Mizzou? I'm interested in corporate law/ securities regulation and maybe working for the SEC.

User avatar
danidancer
Posts: 841
Joined: Wed Jul 25, 2007 9:46 pm

Re: Fordham Waiting Room

Postby danidancer » Thu Apr 08, 2010 12:37 am

goosey wrote:hello fordham friends!

I have sad news :( I will be withdrawing my application because...well..I kind of have no choice. Brooklyn upped my scholarship to 45,200 per year, which means full tuition, books, and $110 extra dollars (unlimited metro card?)---I have a lot of reasons for taking this money and running with it. But I am really sad for sealing my fate at fordham. I hope I can atleast be a visiting student during 3L to take the classes I wanted to take.

I'm stoked about the brooklyn offer, but its still bittersweet because I really wanted to go to fordham. oh well.

best of luck to everyone!


CONGRATS!!

sibley
Posts: 2983
Joined: Wed Mar 04, 2009 2:38 pm

Re: Fordham Waiting Room

Postby sibley » Thu Apr 08, 2010 7:27 am

danidancer wrote:
goosey wrote:hello fordham friends!

I have sad news :( I will be withdrawing my application because...well..I kind of have no choice. Brooklyn upped my scholarship to 45,200 per year, which means full tuition, books, and $110 extra dollars (unlimited metro card?)---I have a lot of reasons for taking this money and running with it. But I am really sad for sealing my fate at fordham. I hope I can atleast be a visiting student during 3L to take the classes I wanted to take.

I'm stoked about the brooklyn offer, but its still bittersweet because I really wanted to go to fordham. oh well.

best of luck to everyone!


CONGRATS!!


free education = no worries. no worries = a happy goosey!

User avatar
rockthelaw
Posts: 475
Joined: Fri Nov 06, 2009 9:53 am

Re: Fordham Waiting Room

Postby rockthelaw » Thu Apr 08, 2010 9:35 am

OS, do you have anything to add to the discussion about overernrollment and the impact on us folks riding the waitlist?

User avatar
SaintClarence27
Posts: 700
Joined: Wed Jun 10, 2009 8:48 am

Re: Fordham Waiting Room

Postby SaintClarence27 » Thu Apr 08, 2010 9:49 am

rockthelaw wrote:OS, do you have anything to add to the discussion about overernrollment and the impact on us folks riding the waitlist?


Obviously I'm an idiot, so take it with a grain of salt, but I would say that the people at Fordham overenrolled because they have NO idea of the nature of this cycle (much like all of us). Applications are up an astounding amount, with applicants up as well (but less so than applications). So people are sending their applications to more places, which means that they are less likely to attend each individual school. It's a guessing game. My guess is that Fordham will end up using more of the waitlist than they expected. With their high numbers standards, a lot of people that got in there got money to attend higher-ranked schools (me, for instance). Fordham guesses that they overextended themselves a bit, and therefore will not be using the waitlist much.

tesoro
Posts: 472
Joined: Fri Sep 11, 2009 8:10 pm

Re: Fordham Waiting Room

Postby tesoro » Thu Apr 08, 2010 9:57 am

Columbia Law wrote:Yeah, I agree with tesoro. My brother talked to a few people who would know and it doesn't sound good. He has a 164/ 3.9x (3.8x) and applied for PT. They all said that they would be shocked if even a single person gets off of the waitlist this year. It was Fordham's toughest year yet and they over-extended their arm in admission. The impression I get is that 40 to 50 of the people who ACCEPTED their offer would have to turn before the waitlist is even considered.

He is pretty upset about the whole thing but I advise him to apply as soon as possible next year.


This is wrong. I took words spoken by the Dean of Admissions and made very small leaps to arrive at my conjecture. How could you possibly know that it's nearly impossible that even one person gets off the waitlist? Where do these numbers 40 and 50 come from? My goal was to help inform someone about whether or not banking on a Fordham WL was a "good bet," but what you're saying is far too misleading without any proper basis.

tesoro
Posts: 472
Joined: Fri Sep 11, 2009 8:10 pm

Re: Fordham Waiting Room

Postby tesoro » Thu Apr 08, 2010 9:59 am

More food for thought:

In the same speech, DB made two points:

1) We have way more enthusiastic a response to our offers of admission than we had expected.
2) We are admitting 14 more students this morning (i think it was 14, maybe 17 or something?)

There's no reason why they would admit even more students if they thought they already had an overenrolled class. More likely a scenario is they're anticipating a tight squeeze from those they admitted without waitlisting. The rest we'll have to wait and see...

User avatar
even2flow
Posts: 592
Joined: Fri Sep 25, 2009 5:03 pm

Re: Fordham Waiting Room

Postby even2flow » Thu Apr 08, 2010 11:38 am

So, I'm trying to put together a summer vacation for my buddies from college and myself. I've never really done this before, but since it was my idea, it's my responsibility (imminent failure). They said they wanted to some place kinda beachy, and I was pushing for the west coast because I've never left my New England/tri-state area bubble, but another friend suggested Key West, in FL (I think?), and another suggested a cruise around the carribean or something (cheap flights so more money can be spent on booze, I'm guessing).

What do you guys think, if I was gonna look out west, where should I look, and where could I go to find decent prices on hotels, with lots of stuff to do during the day and at night. Or any place down south on the east coast too I'd look at, but hopefully someplace with a good crowd. Also, a casino, I have gambling fever. Also, they all play golf so I'd like to try to include that in there for them too, fwiw. Gotta think of something moderately cheap too since they're all business kids and one's a law student, so they're all broke. This'll prob ideally take place in July (I don't think it's too late to try to book a trip for then) for like a week.

This is a very incoherent post, I know that. I'm gonna go grab lunch and think some more.

User avatar
H. E. Pennypacker
Posts: 1022
Joined: Thu Oct 15, 2009 2:26 pm

Re: Fordham Waiting Room

Postby H. E. Pennypacker » Thu Apr 08, 2010 11:48 am

even2flow wrote:So, I'm trying to put together a summer vacation for my buddies from college and myself. I've never really done this before, but since it was my idea, it's my responsibility (imminent failure). They said they wanted to some place kinda beachy, and I was pushing for the west coast because I've never left my New England/tri-state area bubble, but another friend suggested Key West, in FL (I think?), and another suggested a cruise around the carribean or something (cheap flights so more money can be spent on booze, I'm guessing).

What do you guys think, if I was gonna look out west, where should I look, and where could I go to find decent prices on hotels, with lots of stuff to do during the day and at night. Or any place down south on the east coast too I'd look at, but hopefully someplace with a good crowd. Also, a casino, I have gambling fever. Also, they all play golf so I'd like to try to include that in there for them too, fwiw. Gotta think of something moderately cheap too since they're all business kids and one's a law student, so they're all broke. This'll prob ideally take place in July (I don't think it's too late to try to book a trip for then) for like a week.

This is a very incoherent post, I know that. I'm gonna go grab lunch and think some more.


Rent a house on the beach in Oak Island, SC. It's cheap compared to other big beach spots (like Cape Cod). It's not much for crowds, but the weather will be great, so will the food, and you can definitely find some golf in the area. I think you'd find it very relaxing. Plus it's an easy drive down I-95.

User avatar
SaintClarence27
Posts: 700
Joined: Wed Jun 10, 2009 8:48 am

Re: Fordham Waiting Room

Postby SaintClarence27 » Thu Apr 08, 2010 11:53 am

Vegas, dude. You can swim in the hotel pool if you're looking for beach.

I went on a roundabout western trip in '97. We road tripped it, and saw the Badlands (AWESOME), Mount Rushmore (Less awesome), drove down and camped in Rocky Mountain National Park (SO fun), then headed to the Grand Canyon (OMG THE MOST AMAZING THING I'VE EVER SEEN). That was my favorite vacation. There are plenty of casinos in SD, by the way. Just don't stop in Wall.

User avatar
badpixie
Posts: 240
Joined: Thu Feb 04, 2010 7:42 pm

Re: Fordham Waiting Room

Postby badpixie » Thu Apr 08, 2010 12:01 pm

H. E. Pennypacker wrote:
Rent a house on the beach in Oak Island, SC. It's cheap compared to other big beach spots (like Cape Cod). It's not much for crowds, but the weather will be great, so will the food, and you can definitely find some golf in the area. I think you'd find it very relaxing. Plus it's an easy drive down I-95.


Another vote for the Carolinas here. My family is big on Topsail Island, NC, which is one of the barrier islands, a little bit north of Wilmington. No idea what rentals are going for anymore, because we have a family member who bought a place down there so we crash for free, but it's a great area.




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: addie1412, Aquinas, BigZuck, BrainsyK, Daaltaraan, dala77, genjustice, jdanz, katthegreat11, lawnerd87, okf731, studyingeveryday and 31 guests