Fordham Waiting Room

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
LaurenGayle

Re: Fordham Waiting Room

Postby LaurenGayle » Wed Mar 31, 2010 3:43 pm

SaintClarence27 wrote:
sibley wrote:Not closer to Westchester, no -- there are no trains directly from Queens to the Bronx. But my subway line (the N/W) runs 24 hours a day, and it takes me 10 minutes to get into Manhattan.

so not on metro north? =/

If you're looking to get to Manhattan, it's easy. If you're looking to get to Westchester, it's harder. To get to Fordham law, you'd hop on the V or the N/W to the B/D. 25 minutes max, and you could read on the Subway. In theory, you could take the Harlem Line to get to Westchester. But I'm not sure why you'd want to go to Westchester. The other comments mentioned that you can get to Penn Station pretty easily, too.[/quote]

The N/W will actually take you to 57th and 7th, which is right by Fordham. No need to transfer.

danidancer

Postby danidancer » Wed Mar 31, 2010 3:51 pm

<3 Astoria. :D

sibley

Postby sibley » Wed Mar 31, 2010 3:53 pm

ugh. I can't pick st louis over nyc. I just can't. I've always been a huge east coast snob. THIS is going to be my meltdown. not that georgetown thing.

rockthelaw

Postby rockthelaw » Wed Mar 31, 2010 3:54 pm

LaurenGayle wrote:
SaintClarence27 wrote:
sibley wrote:Not closer to Westchester, no -- there are no trains directly from Queens to the Bronx. But my subway line (the N/W) runs 24 hours a day, and it takes me 10 minutes to get into Manhattan.

so not on metro north? =/

If you're looking to get to Manhattan, it's easy. If you're looking to get to Westchester, it's harder. To get to Fordham law, you'd hop on the V or the N/W to the B/D. 25 minutes max, and you could read on the Subway. In theory, you could take the Harlem Line to get to Westchester. But I'm not sure why you'd want to go to Westchester. The other comments mentioned that you can get to Penn Station pretty easily, too.

The N/W will actually take you to 57th and 7th, which is right by Fordham. No need to transfer.[/quote]

If you were going to Lincoln Center on the Harlem Line, you'd still have to take the subway, or walk 20ish blocks.

jonnodotsg

Postby jonnodotsg » Wed Mar 31, 2010 4:01 pm

Last edited by jonnodotsg on Sat Sep 25, 2010 9:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

SaintClarence27

Postby SaintClarence27 » Wed Mar 31, 2010 4:02 pm

Last edited by SaintClarence27 on Wed Jun 30, 2010 10:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SaintClarence27

Postby SaintClarence27 » Wed Mar 31, 2010 4:07 pm

Last edited by SaintClarence27 on Wed Jun 30, 2010 10:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sibley

Postby sibley » Wed Mar 31, 2010 4:07 pm

SaintClarence27 wrote:In via status checker. What's the deal with scholarship money? Can anyone give me a rundown?

yay! congrats! I think it comes late.. the money.
(now please withdraw and mention me by name)

SaintClarence27

Postby SaintClarence27 » Wed Mar 31, 2010 4:08 pm

Last edited by SaintClarence27 on Wed Jun 30, 2010 10:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sibley

Postby sibley » Wed Mar 31, 2010 4:09 pm

SaintClarence27 wrote:
sibley wrote:
SaintClarence27 wrote:In via status checker. What's the deal with scholarship money? Can anyone give me a rundown?

Unless it's astounding, you can have my slot, Sibley. They'll do that, right?

of course they will!

smacroon

Postby smacroon » Wed Mar 31, 2010 4:10 pm

Me too :) Would def like to know $$ ya know sometime before I choose a law school in the next 2 weeks :wink:

SaintClarence27

Postby SaintClarence27 » Wed Mar 31, 2010 4:11 pm

Last edited by SaintClarence27 on Wed Jun 30, 2010 10:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sibley

Postby sibley » Wed Mar 31, 2010 4:13 pm

SaintClarence27 wrote:
sibley wrote:
SaintClarence27 wrote:[quote="sibley

Unless it's astounding, you can have my slot, Sibley. They'll do that, right?

of course they will!

I do like that there seem to be different schools or everyone. The problem lies when the student sees it as a fit, and the school doesn't. I hope that's not the case with Northwestern.[/quote]

yeah. it's weird how it works out oftentimes though... someone just got dinged at wustl with a 175/3.8 or something... I didn't see any other YPs.

Foosters Galore

Postby Foosters Galore » Wed Mar 31, 2010 4:15 pm

sibley, is that you a'swingin?
Because along with law, stalking has been a life long pursuit of mine.

Anyway, i wanted to ask you about the LOCI you sent regarding Fordham's clinics. Did you just pick one that vaguely interested you and BS about it? Also, did you just email them or choose the more formal snail mail route? Thanks.

sibley

Postby sibley » Wed Mar 31, 2010 4:19 pm

Foosters Galore wrote:sibley, is that you a'swingin?

Anyway, i wanted to ask you about the LOCI you sent regarding Fordham's clinics. Did you just pick one that vaguely interested you and BS about it? Also, did you just email them or choose the more formal snail mail route? Thanks.

yeah I'm swinging! making a really weird face (apparently I do that when I swing.... all of the pictures of me swinging that day are like that). feel free to stalk but let me know if you figure out who I am. so I can enter witness protection.

I actually found a clinic that really interested me that I didn't know about previously. it did all the things I wanted to do if I went to a west coast school (except animal law... but native american law was included), plus immigration law, plus other stuff that just fit with my history nicely. I then emailed it to Kristina, to Dean Brown, and to the director of the clinic.

chutzpah

Postby chutzpah » Wed Mar 31, 2010 4:23 pm

Congrats to the recent admits. The scholarship offer (if any) will come via snail mail in a week or two, but Dean Brown mentioned at the ASD that only about 10% of admits are offered merit aid. If you're really coming down to the wire you *may* be able to contact admissions and see if they have a merit award on file for you. Dean Brown knew my scholarship amount well before I got the letter from the financial aid office.

Foosters Galore

Postby Foosters Galore » Wed Mar 31, 2010 4:28 pm

sibley wrote:
Foosters Galore wrote:sibley, is that you a'swingin?

yeah I'm swinging! making a really weird face (apparently I do that when I swing.... all of the pictures of me swinging that day are like that). feel free to stalk but let me know if you figure out who I am. so I can enter witness protection.

I actually found a clinic that really interested me that I didn't know about previously. it did all the things I wanted to do if I went to a west coast school (except animal law... but native american law was included), plus immigration law, plus other stuff that just fit with my history nicely. I then emailed it to Kristina, to Dean Brown, and to the director of the clinic.

Thanks, good to know. I think I may go that route. And damn you witness protection, why cant you just give me a hint?

kaydish21

Postby kaydish21 » Wed Mar 31, 2010 4:29 pm

Dean Brown did tell me basically all of the merit scholarships had been given out too but that I could get in touch with him or someone in the admin office to double check.

chutzpah

Postby chutzpah » Wed Mar 31, 2010 4:34 pm

kaydish21 wrote:Dean Brown did tell me basically all of the merit scholarships had been given out too but that I could get in touch with him or someone in the admin office to double check.

As people withdraw some funds will free up, but I think they usually overshoot their budgets with the assumption that a certain percentage won't accept the offers.

sibley

Postby sibley » Wed Mar 31, 2010 4:37 pm

so someone in the other thread said danidancer got in and negotiated a scholarship... that looks good for me getting off the wl, right? since my gpa's just a tiny bit lower than hers and my lsat's higher?

tesoro

Postby tesoro » Wed Mar 31, 2010 4:43 pm

sibley wrote:so someone in the other thread said danidancer got in and negotiated a scholarship... that looks good for me getting off the wl, right? since my gpa's just a tiny bit lower than hers and my lsat's higher?

That's a dangerous game to play. But hopefully.

sibley

Postby sibley » Wed Mar 31, 2010 4:45 pm

tesoro wrote:
sibley wrote:so someone in the other thread said danidancer got in and negotiated a scholarship... that looks good for me getting off the wl, right? since my gpa's just a tiny bit lower than hers and my lsat's higher?

That's a dangerous game to play. But hopefully.

well I'm already wl so can't get much riskier than that

Postby avatard » Wed Mar 31, 2010 5:19 pm

Does Fordham offer any scholarship money to transfer applicants?

I'm stuck on the waitlist because my GPA sucks. I might squeak in, but I doubt I'll get a dime. So I may have to enroll at Brooklyn.

I've got an 80% scholarship at Brooklyn with entirely tolerable strings. When I visit the big, top firm websites I see associates with Brooklyn JDs (Magna Cum Laude, top 10%... And I doubt they would fake these placements.) They also have at least 3 clinics and some externships that directly tie into the type of law I want to do (big, portfolio transactional stuff) in a field I have work experience in. So it's tolerable... But I have a nagging feeling that I can and want to do "better." Whateverthefuck that means.

Would it be better to be a complete asshole gunner with 80% of it paid at Brooklyn the first year and then try to transfer to Fordham or NYU? Do they provide any funds to transfers? Or, assuming I squeak into Fordham with a tiny scholarship, would I be better off there?

tesoro

Postby tesoro » Wed Mar 31, 2010 5:24 pm

avatard wrote:Does Fordham offer any scholarship money to transfer applicants?

I'm stuck on the waitlist because my GPA sucks. I might squeak in, but I doubt I'll get a dime. So I may have to enroll at Brooklyn.

I've got an 80% scholarship at Brooklyn with entirely tolerable strings. When I visit the big, top firm websites I see associates with Brooklyn JDs (Magna Cum Laude, top 10%... And I doubt they would fake these placements.) They also have at least 3 clinics and some externships that directly tie into the type of law I want to do (big, portfolio transactional stuff) in a field I have work experience in. So it's tolerable... But I have a nagging feeling that I can and want to do "better." Whateverthefuck that means.

Would it be better to be a complete asshole gunner with 80% of it paid at Brooklyn the first year and then try to transfer to Fordham or NYU? Do they provide any funds to transfers? Or, assuming I squeak into Fordham with a tiny scholarship, would I be better off there?

The idea is, if you are in a position to transfer at BLS, you don't really need to transfer because as you've discovered you're golden with regard to job opportunities. If you are not in a position to transfer, you're likely 100% locked out of biglaw opportunities as well.

If you end up at Fordham, a much larger percentage of the class is recruited to biglaw practice. So you don't need to be in a position to transfer at Fordham in order to have these opportunities.

So, there you go. Nothing you haven't already assessed. Debt, risk and reward are all things you'll personally have to weigh and prioritize what's worth the most to you.

SaintClarence27

Postby SaintClarence27 » Wed Mar 31, 2010 5:30 pm

Last edited by SaintClarence27 on Wed Jun 30, 2010 10:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”