Fordham Waiting Room

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Always Credited

Re: Fordham Waiting Room

Postby Always Credited » Mon Mar 29, 2010 8:49 pm

tesoro wrote:
jl2032 wrote:
tesoro wrote:
Jacinda wrote:Can someone post a pic of the inside of fordham?

I don't have one. But it just looks like a high school or something.

Guys, we'll have a new building after 1L. If we have to experience some grime so they can complete their multimillion dollar project I'm cool with that. I guess I'm also super used to scrappy living, though.

To clarify, we won't see the new building... it might be done by the middle of 2013 so maybe the evening division will see it.

Oh, shit. They must have pushed back the end date- I read about it something like 6 months ago and was recalling that it will be done in 2011. This is disappointing, not the end of the world though.

Regardless, no one is complaining about Fordham's facilities, only the way in which those facilities were presented and kept. I understand its an old, dated building and I understand they don't have the money to tech out their classrooms. But they can pick up the old papers off the floor, and wash the desks they knew we'd be sitting at.

Sorry man, I'm not paying 100k+ to "deal" with grime. I'll deal with an old building, a small library, low-tech classrooms. But not grime.

SaintClarence27

Postby SaintClarence27 » Mon Mar 29, 2010 8:54 pm

Last edited by SaintClarence27 on Wed Jun 30, 2010 10:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tesoro

Postby tesoro » Mon Mar 29, 2010 8:58 pm

Always Credited wrote:
Sorry man, I'm not paying 100k+ to "deal" with grime. I'll deal with an old building, a small library, low-tech classrooms. But not grime.

Ha no need to apologize, we've all got our dealbreakers. There's a lot of schools that pay tons and tons on landscaping and facilities management, so you've got plenty of other good options at good schools that fit the bill I'm sure.

Always Credited

Postby Always Credited » Mon Mar 29, 2010 9:16 pm

tesoro wrote:
Always Credited wrote:

Ha no need to apologize, we've all got our dealbreakers. There's a lot of schools that pay tons and tons on landscaping and facilities management, so you've got plenty of other good options at good schools that fit the bill I'm sure.

I don't think it would require paying tons and tons on facility management to spend an hour cleaning up a law school that encompasses one building on the day your admitted students are visiting en masse.

It'd be like having two interviews for a position at a firm. Both have similar credentials, however one shows up underdressed and looking like he hasn't showed in several days. Which one is most likely to get hired? Putting your best foot forward matters, and shows a level of pride and self respect.

tesoro

Postby tesoro » Mon Mar 29, 2010 9:22 pm

Always Credited wrote:
tesoro wrote:
Always Credited wrote:

I don't think it would require paying tons and tons on facility management to spend an hour cleaning up a law school that encompasses one building on the day your admitted students are visiting en masse.

It'd be like having two interviews for a position at a firm. Both have similar credentials, however one shows up underdressed and looking like he hasn't showed in several days. Which one is most likely to get hired? Putting your best foot forward matters, and shows a level of pride and self respect.

Credited.

I had personal meetings with Dean Brown and a professor, and to me it seemed that all levels of administration don't slack in the one thing that matters most - advocating for the students as much as humanly possible in order to maximize their career opportunities. I am not saying I'm happy with the facilities. I'm just OK ignoring them knowing my education and employment opportunities are going to be fine despite the shabby building.

I also don't have two interviews. As far as evening programs go in NYC, it's either Fordham or BLS, and one's leagues ahead of the other. All the Pledge and Windex in the world couldn't sway me to the latter. I'm sure you're in a very different boat.

Jacinda

Postby Jacinda » Mon Mar 29, 2010 10:50 pm

It's not that bad. I've lived with worse. I think I'd just be happy being in a community atmosphere. It beats staying cooped up in my home 24/7.

LaurenGayle

Postby LaurenGayle » Tue Mar 30, 2010 9:19 am

In the most loving way possible -- It's New York City. You'll get used to "grime." Fordham is not a school in the middle of some idyllic landscape...it's city living. I loved the school at the ASD in January and didn't notice anything out of the ordinary about its cleanliness.

SaintClarence27

Postby SaintClarence27 » Tue Mar 30, 2010 9:22 am

Last edited by SaintClarence27 on Wed Jun 30, 2010 10:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LaurenGayle

Postby LaurenGayle » Tue Mar 30, 2010 9:27 am

SaintClarence27 wrote:
LaurenGayle wrote:In the most loving way possible -- It's New York City. You'll get used to "grime." Fordham is not a school in the middle of some idyllic landscape...it's city living. I loved the school at the ASD in January and didn't notice anything out of the ordinary about its cleanliness.

Hahahaha. I live in Washington Heights! I still don't think it's an excuse. Not to say it's a bad school, but the things people were saying sounded bad!

Ha -- I don't think it's an excuse, I'm just saying maybe people are being extra sensitive. My friends from outside of the city are always weary about the cleanliness of places that I wouldn't think twice about. I wasn't there this weekend, but in January I didn't notice anything out of the ordinary.

SaintClarence27

Postby SaintClarence27 » Tue Mar 30, 2010 9:33 am

even2flow

Postby even2flow » Tue Mar 30, 2010 9:38 am

SaintClarence27 wrote:Or maybe Fordham students are exceptionally messy?

Work hard/play hard.

chutzpah

Postby chutzpah » Tue Mar 30, 2010 9:48 am

I was there for eight hours on Saturday and didn't notice any dirt, grime, papers, dust, garbage, or anything like that. It didn't smell like lemon pledge but its Manhattan! I went to high school downtown in a brand new building and it was always a little grimey.

I completely agree that the ASD is an opportunity to show off the school and the staff should do everything possible to put their best foot forward, but I do not agree that a dusty hallway is comparable to an unkempt interviewee.

starsong

Postby starsong » Tue Mar 30, 2010 10:11 am

If you're really worried, you can always carry Lysol wipes with you :lol:

even2flow

Postby even2flow » Tue Mar 30, 2010 10:22 am

I personally decided I wasn't going to go to any school that didn't provide a Mary Poppins to follow me around, cleaning up, and singing to brighten my day.

Except when I'm studying, then I'd like her to be making me delicious baked goods.

Also ladies - I can do all of those things if anyone is looking for a trophy husband, I'm willing to let this law school ship sail. My mom says I'm a catch.

SaintClarence27

Postby SaintClarence27 » Tue Mar 30, 2010 10:36 am

Last edited by SaintClarence27 on Wed Jun 30, 2010 10:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

starsong

Postby starsong » Tue Mar 30, 2010 10:42 am

SaintClarence27 wrote:In at Notre Dame with $18K/year. It would take a pretty serious offer from Fordham at this point...

Congrats!

sibley

Postby sibley » Tue Mar 30, 2010 11:23 am

hi all! currently visiting wash u- on the metro around UM somewhere. just got a nice informal email from dean brown saying most/almost all of their decisions now are rejections. will convey whole message later just thought you'd like to know.

Always Credited

Postby Always Credited » Tue Mar 30, 2010 11:39 am

LaurenGayle wrote:In the most loving way possible -- It's New York City. You'll get used to "grime." Fordham is not a school in the middle of some idyllic landscape...it's city living. I loved the school at the ASD in January and didn't notice anything out of the ordinary about its cleanliness.

I was fortunate enough to be able to visit Columbia, and despite also being located in Manhatten...oddly enough, it wasn't dirty inside. Look, I understand so many people in this thread are die-hard Fordham lovers, and that's great. However, many people read these forums to gain a balanced view a school and, more specifically, that school's Accepted Student's Day. Many positives were mentioned about the Fordham ASD, and I agree with most of them. I simply wanted to shed some light on a negative I noticed.

Never did I mention the need for a Mary Poppins to follow me around. And yeah, if I make a mess, I'll find some Lysol wipes to clean it up. But I guess I'm weird like that.

Is cleanliness the single most important attribute I look for in a law school? Absolutely not. Is a lack thereof something that I noticed? Absolutely. Every school has its drawbacks, and they deserve to be mentioned - even in an unequivocally pro-Fordham thread.

SaintClarence27

Postby SaintClarence27 » Tue Mar 30, 2010 11:43 am

Last edited by SaintClarence27 on Wed Jun 30, 2010 10:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

chutzpah

Postby chutzpah » Tue Mar 30, 2010 11:47 am

SaintClarence27 wrote:
sibley wrote:hi all! currently visiting wash u- on the metro around UM somewhere. just got a nice informal email from dean brown saying most/almost all of their decisions now are rejections. will convey whole message later just thought you'd like to know.

Wow.

Well, it wasn't exceedingly likely at this point anyway. I'm sure it's a great school, but maybe it just wasn't for me.

maybe wait for the full context and details before getting too down. that's a pretty harsh thing to say w/o explaining further.

Kim617

Postby Kim617 » Tue Mar 30, 2010 11:50 am

ehhh, i lived in nyc my whole life, and i would never tolerate grime. not saying that fordham is grimy, because i didn't particularly notice that, just a little run down, but grime is not really part of city living...

SaintClarence27

Postby SaintClarence27 » Tue Mar 30, 2010 11:51 am

Last edited by SaintClarence27 on Wed Jun 30, 2010 10:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

beef wellington

Postby beef wellington » Tue Mar 30, 2010 11:55 am

chutzpah wrote:
SaintClarence27 wrote:
sibley wrote:hi all! currently visiting wash u- on the metro around UM somewhere. just got a nice informal email from dean brown saying most/almost all of their decisions now are rejections. will convey whole message later just thought you'd like to know.

Wow.

Well, it wasn't exceedingly likely at this point anyway. I'm sure it's a great school, but maybe it just wasn't for me.

maybe wait for the full context and details before getting too down. that's a pretty harsh thing to say w/o explaining further.

Just talked to the dean, he said everyone on the WL is getting rejected and they'll even have to rescind some acceptances. Will fill in details later after I wash my hair.

Kim617

Postby Kim617 » Tue Mar 30, 2010 11:56 am

SaintClarence27 wrote:
Kim617 wrote:

ehhh, i lived in nyc my whole life, and i would never tolerate grime. not saying that fordham is grimy, because i didn't particularly notice that, just a little run down, but grime is not really part of city living...

It is in Washington Heights!

washington heights is washington heights. it's not in chelsea, murray hill, or midtown west, or anywhere i've lived. not even in brooklyn, where i grew up. what i mean is the inside of places need not be grimy just because they're in the city. the outside, the subway, yeah of course, GRIMY. classrooms, offices, etc? not really. i'm not saying fordham is grimy at all, i didn't think so, but i think that you shouldn't have the expectation that a building will be dirty, because that's just not the case.

SaintClarence27

Postby SaintClarence27 » Tue Mar 30, 2010 12:00 pm

Last edited by SaintClarence27 on Wed Jun 30, 2010 10:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”