Fordham Waiting Room

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
LaurenGayle

Re: Fordham Waiting Room

Postby LaurenGayle » Mon Mar 29, 2010 1:56 pm

starsong wrote:Yeah I know, I get the same feeling every three months when I get my statement on the interest accumulating on my UG loans. It's like ok f** not thinking about this lol. But then I remember that about 50% of Fordham c/o 2009 grads got jobs @ $160k, and I calm down again :-).

Haha, good point. Thanks :-)

adgirl13

Postby adgirl13 » Mon Mar 29, 2010 2:22 pm

LaurenGayle wrote:
starsong wrote:
LaurenGayle wrote:Anyone just get the "New Info Regarding Direct Loans" email? I'm still totally confused, but it's nice of them to address it and promise to keep us posted.

I did too. It just means that the fed government will be our lender, no other bank is involved.

Yeah, I guess I was confused because they started addressing previous loans. I just get really nervous when it comes to borrowing huge amounts of money haha.

Yeah, I just got the email. I was like heh? I guess it'll make more sense once I get my financial aid packet (I submitted the fordham thing late in the game...oops!)

even2flow

Postby even2flow » Mon Mar 29, 2010 2:45 pm

So a friend of mine is looking to head into the city for the night, and asked me about hotels. Seeing as I have no idea because I've never needed one in NYC, I was wondering either a) where Fordham put you ASW kids up, or b) if anyone could recommend something moderately cheap as close to the MOMA as possible.

sibley

Postby sibley » Mon Mar 29, 2010 2:47 pm

even2flow wrote:So a friend of mine is looking to head into the city for the night, and asked me about hotels. Seeing as I have no idea because I've never needed one in NYC, I was wondering either a) where Fordham put you ASW kids up, or b) if anyone could recommend something moderately cheap as close to the MOMA as possible.

Hostel it up at Chelsea Hotel.. or the Chelsea Star Hotel. Both can be cheap. And there's this really good bakery next to the Chelsea Star Hotel....

tesoro

Postby tesoro » Mon Mar 29, 2010 2:50 pm

even2flow wrote:So a friend of mine is looking to head into the city for the night, and asked me about hotels. Seeing as I have no idea because I've never needed one in NYC, I was wondering either a) where Fordham put you ASW kids up, or b) if anyone could recommend something moderately cheap as close to the MOMA as possible.

use priceline or hotwire. if you offer up maybe $80-$100 you can get a 3 star hotel off priceline if it isn't a holiday/busy weekend.

sibley

Postby sibley » Mon Mar 29, 2010 2:50 pm

herb watchfelll stole my avatar =( must change. I don't like anyone else having my legs. it's weird.

painsinmysides

Postby painsinmysides » Mon Mar 29, 2010 2:53 pm

Hey guys,

I am trying to decide between BU and Fordham. i want to work in NYC big law after graduation and I know the immediate response is go to Fordham.

For reasons I can't articulate, I am not excited about Fordham. I am hoping some of you can provide me inspiration. How are the facilities? The Professors? The student-community? The job market in this economy?

BU is also significantly cheaper for me, as they gave me 25k relative to Fordham's 10k.

I could really use some help making this decision. Thanks.

sibley

Postby sibley » Mon Mar 29, 2010 2:54 pm

painsinmysides wrote:Hey guys,

I am trying to decide between BU and Fordham. i want to work in NYC big law after graduation and I know the immediate response is go to Fordham.

For reasons I can't articulate, I am not excited about Fordham. I am hoping some of you can provide me inspiration. How are the facilities? The Professors? The student-community? The job market in this economy?

BU is also significantly cheaper for me, as they gave me 25k relative to Fordham's 10k.

BU. Ranked better, cheaper. Still NYC job market.

H. E. Pennypacker

Postby H. E. Pennypacker » Mon Mar 29, 2010 3:20 pm

sibley wrote:

And Sibley isn't waiting to get in off the waitlist there.... ;-)

sibley

Postby sibley » Mon Mar 29, 2010 3:21 pm

H. E. Pennypacker wrote:
sibley wrote:

lol. no, they just haven't even bothered giving me a decision yet. it wasn't of personal benefit I swear!

H. E. Pennypacker

Postby H. E. Pennypacker » Mon Mar 29, 2010 3:30 pm

sibley wrote:
H. E. Pennypacker wrote:
sibley wrote:

lol. no, they just haven't even bothered giving me a decision yet. it wasn't of personal benefit I swear!

Haha I know, I would have loved BU. and an extra 45K doesn't hurt either.

danidancer

Postby danidancer » Mon Mar 29, 2010 3:33 pm

I would ordinarily say Fordham for NYC, but I think the monetary difference in this situation will more than make up for any location advantage. If you love BU, go to BU. Or try to negotiate more money out of Fordham. :D

Always Credited

Postby Always Credited » Mon Mar 29, 2010 6:04 pm

jk11287 wrote:Anyway, I was also at ASD and I only went so I could cross Fordham off my list and put down my seat deposit at GW...and I'm putting down my seat deposit today at FORDHAM! I'm not going to lie, the location is the main attraction for me (I'm from NY, and have lived in other places for the last 5 years) because I'm anxious to be in NYC. However, I was genuinely impressed with what I saw. I'll agree with everyone else that the classrooms are really nothing to speak of, but that didn't bother me at all. I actually feel like a really high tech, brand new class room would be great, but its something that may cause you to choose a school for the wrong reasons. For example, I chose my undergrad based on dorm size...probably not the best idea. I think we have to take all the speeches from various deans/administrators with a grain of salt, but for some reason I really did get the impression that they are really interested in (if not the individual) preserving Fordham's reputation and recognize that taking extra measures to ensure success for the grads is the best way to do that.

The terrible classrooms aside, its still inexcusable that they'd have actually left the place dirty, especially on the one day they'd be showing it off. The architecture/age of the building aside; it simply looked run down inside...certainly not well-cared for.

For those of you saying that its better this way, and perhaps it'll drive off the students who aren't deadset on giving their heart, soul, and first-born child to Fordham...well, yeah, I'd say it did a damn good job of that.

SaintClarence27

Postby SaintClarence27 » Mon Mar 29, 2010 6:09 pm

Last edited by SaintClarence27 on Wed Jun 30, 2010 10:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kim617

Postby Kim617 » Mon Mar 29, 2010 6:12 pm

SaintClarence27 wrote:
Always Credited wrote:
The terrible classrooms aside, its still inexcusable that they'd have actually left the place dirty, especially on the one day they'd be showing it off. The architecture/age of the building aside; it simply looked run down inside...certainly not well-cared for.

For those of you saying that its better this way, and perhaps it'll drive off the students who aren't deadset on giving their heart, soul, and first-born child to Fordham...well, yeah, I'd say it did a damn good job of that.

That's kind of sad, in my opinion. These are people that they are asking to spend gobs of money to attend, and then send in money after graduation. They should be presenting an air of class. We are the consumers here, and we deserve better. I don't think it would sway me one way or another (I still haven't heard back, but it would take a nice offer to persuade me to attend Fordham rather than Illinois), but still. I tend to judge how an institution is run based on small details - we don't have a real wealth of information to go on. Sure, it's NYC so building renovations, new buildings, and serious changes are going to be prohibitively expensive, so do the little things that you can.

you know, on my visit, i wouldn't have even noticed how "eh" the facilities were if my tour guide didn't go on and on about how great they were :) i probably would've noticed when i compared them with gtown's but it really didn't bother me until she kept saying how awesome everything was. i didn't think the classrooms were bad at all, but when she talked about the awesomeness of the library i was underwhelmed. she should've just been like "well, it's nice and it gets the job done!"

ryguy

Postby ryguy » Mon Mar 29, 2010 6:13 pm

Always Credited wrote:
jk11287 wrote:Anyway, I was also at ASD and I only went so I could cross Fordham off my list and put down my seat deposit at GW...and I'm putting down my seat deposit today at FORDHAM! I'm not going to lie, the location is the main attraction for me (I'm from NY, and have lived in other places for the last 5 years) because I'm anxious to be in NYC. However, I was genuinely impressed with what I saw. I'll agree with everyone else that the classrooms are really nothing to speak of, but that didn't bother me at all. I actually feel like a really high tech, brand new class room would be great, but its something that may cause you to choose a school for the wrong reasons. For example, I chose my undergrad based on dorm size...probably not the best idea. I think we have to take all the speeches from various deans/administrators with a grain of salt, but for some reason I really did get the impression that they are really interested in (if not the individual) preserving Fordham's reputation and recognize that taking extra measures to ensure success for the grads is the best way to do that.

I totally agree. Soap and water are not expensive, and neither is paint.

danidancer

Postby danidancer » Mon Mar 29, 2010 6:15 pm

Kim617 wrote:
SaintClarence27 wrote:
Always Credited wrote:

That's kind of sad, in my opinion. These are people that they are asking to spend gobs of money to attend, and then send in money after graduation. They should be presenting an air of class. We are the consumers here, and we deserve better. I don't think it would sway me one way or another (I still haven't heard back, but it would take a nice offer to persuade me to attend Fordham rather than Illinois), but still. I tend to judge how an institution is run based on small details - we don't have a real wealth of information to go on. Sure, it's NYC so building renovations, new buildings, and serious changes are going to be prohibitively expensive, so do the little things that you can.

you know, on my visit, i wouldn't have even noticed how "eh" the facilities were if my tour guide didn't go on and on about how great they were :) i probably would've noticed when i compared them with gtown's but it really didn't bother me until she kept saying how awesome everything was. i didn't think the classrooms were bad at all, but when she talked about the awesomeness of the library i was underwhelmed. she should've just been like "well, it's nice and it gets the job done!"

That's almost exactly what my tour guide said. The moot court is apparently lovely though.

Jacinda

Postby Jacinda » Mon Mar 29, 2010 8:24 pm

Can someone post a pic of the inside of fordham?

Kim617

Postby Kim617 » Mon Mar 29, 2010 8:28 pm

Jacinda wrote:Can someone post a pic of the inside of fordham?

i found this one of the library on google images:

--ImageRemoved--

tesoro

Postby tesoro » Mon Mar 29, 2010 8:29 pm

I don't have one. But it just looks like a high school or something.

Guys, we'll have a new building after 1L. If we have to experience some grime so they can complete their multimillion dollar project I'm cool with that. I guess I'm also super used to scrappy living, though.

jl2032

Postby jl2032 » Mon Mar 29, 2010 8:33 pm

tesoro wrote:

Guys, we'll have a new building after 1L. If we have to experience some grime so they can complete their multimillion dollar project I'm cool with that. I guess I'm also super used to scrappy living, though.

To clarify, we won't see the new building... it might be done by the middle of 2013 so maybe the evening division will see it.

tesoro

Postby tesoro » Mon Mar 29, 2010 8:38 pm

jl2032 wrote:
tesoro wrote:

To clarify, we won't see the new building... it might be done by the middle of 2013 so maybe the evening division will see it.

Oh, shit. They must have pushed back the end date- I read about it something like 6 months ago and was recalling that it will be done in 2011. This is disappointing, not the end of the world though.

jl2032

Postby jl2032 » Mon Mar 29, 2010 8:42 pm

tesoro wrote:
jl2032 wrote:
tesoro wrote:

Oh, shit. They must have pushed back the end date- I read about it something like 6 months ago and was recalling that it will be done in 2011. This is disappointing, not the end of the world though.

Yeah, they haven't posted a new end date yet, but judging from the fact they haven't started on it, the students said they hope for at the earliest a 2013 date.

Remember, on the panel, the students said the new building will be done just in time for us to pay for it through our donations... or was that on the tour?

tesoro

Postby tesoro » Mon Mar 29, 2010 8:43 pm

jl2032 wrote:
Yeah, they haven't posted a new end date yet, but judging from the fact they haven't started on it, the students said they hope for at the earliest a 2013 date.

Remember, on the panel, the students said the new building will be done just in time for us to pay for it through our donations... or was that on the tour?

That was the panel. I thought they were joking about their own situation, though, as they were primarily/entirely 2L/3L students so by my former count they'd barely miss the new building.

jl2032

Postby jl2032 » Mon Mar 29, 2010 8:47 pm

tesoro wrote:
jl2032 wrote:

That was the panel. I thought they were joking about their own situation, though, as they were primarily/entirely 2L/3L students so by my former count they'd barely miss the new building.

well, my tour guide a few weeks ago said 2013 as well. I think that's a realistic, maybe even optimistic, expectation.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”