Fordham Waiting Room Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
sibley

Gold

Re: Fordham Waiting Room

Post by sibley » Mon Mar 29, 2010 11:29 am

starsong wrote:
hannah87 wrote: :lol: . thanks, starsong! the main reason i'm still considering dozo is the money. FREE law school sounds pretty awesome. also, i was impressed at their ASD. maybe it was just the shiny new building, though.

also, the fact that it IS possible to go biglaw from there. my husband's cousin (Cardozo '09) got offers at 2 biglaw firms and is working for Dewey LeBeouf (did I spell that correctly?). she was top 30% but had some connections. she had 30k/year at Cardozo (she maintained the scholly by meeting the GPA minimum) whereas I have full ride guaranteed. she has no regrets.
Oh really? Nice! Well, yeah, you're right, less debt = less risk. And you'll probably set the curve there. Between you and me, it would be nice to go to a school that gives you a break for Passover. My (top 30 private) UG has a 5-day Easter holiday but little for the Jewish among us.

I still think you should go to Fordham though. :-) Just think, you could have 5, 10 biglaw offers instead of 2. Make law review and you're in at a V5 firm like Skadden, which opens endless career opportunities down the road.
I think you should go to Dozo then transfer to Fordham the 2nd year. It's like going to community college before undergrad =D

hannah87

Silver

Post by hannah87 » Mon Mar 29, 2010 11:34 am

starsong wrote:
hannah87 wrote: :lol: . thanks, starsong! the main reason i'm still considering dozo is the money. FREE law school sounds pretty awesome. also, i was impressed at their ASD. maybe it was just the shiny new building, though.

also, the fact that it IS possible to go biglaw from there. my husband's cousin (Cardozo '09) got offers at 2 biglaw firms and is working for Dewey LeBeouf (did I spell that correctly?). she was top 30% but had some connections. she had 30k/year at Cardozo (she maintained the scholly by meeting the GPA minimum) whereas I have full ride guaranteed. she has no regrets.
Oh really? Nice! Well, yeah, you're right, less debt = less risk. And you'll probably set the curve there. Between you and me, it would be nice to go to a school that gives you a break for Passover. My (top 30 private) UG has a 5-day Easter holiday but little for the Jewish among us.

I still think you should go to Fordham though. :-) Just think, you could have 5, 10 biglaw offers instead of 2. Make law review and you're in at a V5 firm like Skadden, which opens endless career opportunities down the road.
ha- Passover break that Cardozo has this week sounds SO appealing right now. if I go to Fordham, I will be so stressed at this time next year about missing class. BUT- I agree with you and think Fordham is going to be worth it for the possibility of more offers (any offers, really, nowadays...the cardozo cousin interviewed in much better economic times).

starsong

Bronze

Post by starsong » Mon Mar 29, 2010 11:36 am

evilgenius wrote:Arrrgh. I just called the admissions office and their "systems are down". The person I spoke with told me they usually take 6-8 weeks to review applications. When I told her that I applied 10 weeks ago she basically said "oh well". Give it a couple more weeks.

Does anyone know if Fordham will refund the application fee if one withdraws their application? Fordham is taking entirely too long. And unlike most law schools, they haven't even sent teaser e-mails indicating that they care that I applied. I'm not impressed at all and if this is how they treat prospective students, willing to pay over $40K per year to attend, I can't imagine how I will be treated if I enrolled.
Their web site explicitly states that "Applicants whose files become complete (i.e., their LSDAS report is received by the Admissions Office) prior to February 1st should be notified of the admission decision on or before May 1st. " (http://law.fordham.edu/admissions/612.htm). They said "usually" 6-8 weeks, but promised you a decision by May 1. Until May 1 passes, they're keeping their word. What exactly are you upset about?

evilgenius

Bronze

Post by evilgenius » Mon Mar 29, 2010 11:44 am

starsong wrote:
evilgenius wrote:Arrrgh. I just called the admissions office and their "systems are down". The person I spoke with told me they usually take 6-8 weeks to review applications. When I told her that I applied 10 weeks ago she basically said "oh well". Give it a couple more weeks.

Does anyone know if Fordham will refund the application fee if one withdraws their application? Fordham is taking entirely too long. And unlike most law schools, they haven't even sent teaser e-mails indicating that they care that I applied. I'm not impressed at all and if this is how they treat prospective students, willing to pay over $40K per year to attend, I can't imagine how I will be treated if I enrolled.
Their web site explicitly states that "Applicants whose files become complete (i.e., their LSDAS report is received by the Admissions Office) prior to February 1st should be notified of the admission decision on or before May 1st. " (http://law.fordham.edu/admissions/612.htm). They said "usually" 6-8 weeks, but promised you a decision by May 1. Until May 1 passes, they're keeping their word. What exactly are you upset about?
I'm upset because I've noticed that others that went complete around the same time that I did received a response. Getting a response from them by May 1 would be fine, if almost every other school that I've been admitted to didn't have April 1 and April 15 deposit deadlines.

hannah87

Silver

Post by hannah87 » Mon Mar 29, 2010 11:46 am

evilgenius wrote:
starsong wrote:

I'm upset because I've noticed that others that went complete around the same time that I did received a response. Getting a response from them by May 1 would be fine, if almost every other school that I've been admitted to didn't have April 1 and April 15 deposit deadlines.
a lot of schools do this and you just have to accept it. for example, NYU says "end of april at the latest" and they routinely notify applicants after 4/15.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

starsong

Bronze

Post by starsong » Mon Mar 29, 2010 11:47 am

hannah87 wrote:
starsong wrote:

ha- Passover break that Cardozo has this week sounds SO appealing right now. if I go to Fordham, I will be so stressed at this time next year about missing class. BUT- I agree with you and think Fordham is going to be worth it for the possibility of more offers (any offers, really, nowadays...the cardozo cousin interviewed in much better economic times).
All kidding aside, some schools let you obtain audio recordings of the class if you have to miss it for religious reasons. It's worth checking out, at least.

And yes, despite the nascent economic recovery, we're still in a tough hiring period. Plus, if you do have some debt that you know you have to pay back, you are likely to work harder than if you are going to law school for free. Again, this will make life more difficult for the rest of us (thanks to the curve :-)), but it's worth it!

starsong

Bronze

Post by starsong » Mon Mar 29, 2010 11:50 am

evilgenius wrote:I'm upset because I've noticed that others that went complete around the same time that I did received a response. Getting a response from them by May 1 would be fine, if almost every other school that I've been admitted to didn't have April 1 and April 15 deposit deadlines.
But you were aware of this risk before applying. So why are you whining about it? I don't mean to be insulting, I feel the pain of possibly losing deposit money (I may be forced to do the same), but you lashed out at the admissions office for no reason. They told you that you may have to wait until May 1 before you applied.

evilgenius

Bronze

Post by evilgenius » Mon Mar 29, 2010 11:56 am

hannah87 wrote:
evilgenius wrote:
starsong wrote:

a lot of schools do this and you just have to accept it. for example, NYU says "end of april at the latest" and they routinely notify applicants after 4/15.
That's fine - I just want my money back. Based on the way they treat applicants I've changed my mind about wanting to attend. I had to call 3 times in order to receive a status checker five weeks after applying. I've had a bad experience with the office of admissions. They haven't communicated with me at all since then - no info on scheduling visits, etc. They refuse to look up my file when I call. And I have compelling offer$ from other schools. I grew up a few blocks from Fordham's undergraduate campus and I've always wanted to attend. But why bother.

ihurtmyselftoday

New

Post by ihurtmyselftoday » Mon Mar 29, 2010 12:01 pm

evilgenius wrote: That's fine - I just want my money back. Based on the way they treat applicants I've changed my mind about wanting to attend. I had to call 3 times in order to receive a status checker five weeks after applying. I've had a bad experience with the office of admissions. They haven't communicated with me at all since then - no info on scheduling visits, etc. They refuse to look up my file when I call. And I have compelling offer$ from other schools. I grew up a few blocks from Fordham's undergraduate campus and I've always wanted to attend. But why bother.
If you are ready to throw away going to your dream school just because of a few weeks of waiting, maybe you should take some time to develop some patience and maturity before re-applying.

I went complete in December and I'm still waiting. So I think a lot of people are in your shoes. Just be patient.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

starsong

Bronze

Post by starsong » Mon Mar 29, 2010 12:07 pm

evilgenius wrote:That's fine - I just want my money back. Based on the way they treat applicants I've changed my mind about wanting to attend. I had to call 3 times in order to receive a status checker five weeks after applying. I've had a bad experience with the office of admissions. They haven't communicated with me at all since then - no info on scheduling visits, etc. They refuse to look up my file when I call. And I have compelling offer$ from other schools. I grew up a few blocks from Fordham's undergraduate campus and I've always wanted to attend. But why bother.
Come on. Fordham's web site clearly states that the application fee is non-refundable (http://law.fordham.edu/admissions/347.htm). As a future lawyer, you should read more carefully. You knew you may not get a decision until May 1, you knew the fee was non-refundable, stop bitching and take responsibility.

evilgenius

Bronze

Post by evilgenius » Mon Mar 29, 2010 12:09 pm

ihurtmyselftoday wrote:
evilgenius wrote: That's fine - I just want my money back. Based on the way they treat applicants I've changed my mind about wanting to attend. I had to call 3 times in order to receive a status checker five weeks after applying. I've had a bad experience with the office of admissions. They haven't communicated with me at all since then - no info on scheduling visits, etc. They refuse to look up my file when I call. And I have compelling offer$ from other schools. I grew up a few blocks from Fordham's undergraduate campus and I've always wanted to attend. But why bother.
If you are ready to throw away going to your dream school just because of a few weeks of waiting, maybe you should take some time to develop some patience and maturity before re-applying.

I went complete in December and I'm still waiting. So I think a lot of people are in your shoes. Just be patient.
You're probably right. I'm just on the verge of having a meltdown. I have to make a decision on one school this week. And Fordham is making it harder.

ihurtmyselftoday

New

Post by ihurtmyselftoday » Mon Mar 29, 2010 12:19 pm

evilgenius wrote:
ihurtmyselftoday wrote:

You're probably right. I'm just on the verge of having a meltdown. I have to make a decision on one school this week. And Fordham is making it harder.
Don't most schools give you until April 15th to accept their offer?

If the deadline is coming up, is the decision binding? If not you may be able to give that school a seat deposit while still waiting for word from Fordham. I may have to do the same for some of the schools I've applied to. But if/when I do, I'm going to put down that deposit with the belief that I will attend that school in the fall. I will mentally prepare to attend that school regardless of where I stand with the admissions office of the schools I'm waiting on. That way, in the event that I do get accepted from a hold/waitlist, it will come as a pleasant surprise. And if I get rejected, who cares? I wasn't counting on that acceptance anyway.

In other words, if you have to make your decision now, make it off the info you have and be happy. You shouldn't throw away a chance to attend your dream school simply because you are being impatient. But you also shouldn't set yourself up for disappointment by putting too much weight on that acceptance.

starsong

Bronze

Post by starsong » Mon Mar 29, 2010 12:28 pm

ihurtmyselftoday wrote:Don't most schools give you until April 15th to accept their offer?

If the deadline is coming up, is the decision binding? If not you may be able to give that school a seat deposit while still waiting for word from Fordham. I may have to do the same for some of the schools I've applied to. But if/when I do, I'm going to put down that deposit with the belief that I will attend that school in the fall. I will mentally prepare to attend that school regardless of where I stand with the admissions office of the schools I'm waiting on. That way, in the event that I do get accepted from a hold/waitlist, it will come as a pleasant surprise. And if I get rejected, who cares? I wasn't counting on that acceptance anyway.

In other words, if you have to make your decision now, make it off the info you have and be happy. You shouldn't throw away a chance to attend your dream school simply because you are being impatient. But you also shouldn't set yourself up for disappointment by putting too much weight on that acceptance.
Good advice. The point is, you could have submitted your app in September. You chose to submit later. That's fine, but you have to recognize there are consequences to a late app, one of which is the high probability that you will have to put down a deposit at another school while waiting for an answer. This is Applications 101, it's really basic stuff. You're furious at a school for treating you how they said they would when you knew everything in advance. You have to get a grip on your emotions, realize that nobody owes you anything, everyone's doing the best they can, and this is just what happens when you submit late.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

evilgenius

Bronze

Post by evilgenius » Mon Mar 29, 2010 12:57 pm

starsong wrote:
ihurtmyselftoday wrote:Don't most schools give you until April 15th to accept their offer?

Good advice. The point is, you could have submitted your app in September. You chose to submit later. That's fine, but you have to recognize there are consequences to a late app, one of which is the high probability that you will have to put down a deposit at another school while waiting for an answer. This is Applications 101, it's really basic stuff. You're furious at a school for treating you how they said they would when you knew everything in advance. You have to get a grip on your emotions, realize that nobody owes you anything, everyone's doing the best they can, and this is just what happens when you submit late.
I know all to well that no one "owes me anything". But considering that I did pay them to review my application and make a decision, politeness or even acknowledgment doesn't seem like too much to ask.

After I applied, I didn't hear anything. I called two weeks later to see if they received my app - the person refused to look and told me to give it another week for an app acknowledgment. Called a week later - got the same response. E-mailed the following week (5 weeks after applying) and finally got a response with a status checker. No e-mails, updates, nothing since.

Every time I call I seem to reach some one that is either having a bad day or sick of students calling. I'm extremely polite and soft spoken on the phone (and in general). I usually apologize to the person for calling - though I shouldn't have to.

Patience was never my strong suit, but I wouldn't say that I'm "furious" with Fordham. However, the way I've been treated when I call combined with not receiving any communication, has made me extremely frustrated.

sibley

Gold

Post by sibley » Mon Mar 29, 2010 1:00 pm

Ok! LOCI is done (thanks to my helpful editors!) and sent. Sent to Kristina Haff, Dean Brown, and director of the clinic I'm interested in, just for the heck of it. Hopefully it leads to good news.

starsong

Bronze

Post by starsong » Mon Mar 29, 2010 1:17 pm

evilgenius wrote:
starsong wrote:

I know all to well that no one "owes me anything". But considering that I did pay them to review my application and make a decision, politeness or even acknowledgment doesn't seem like too much to ask.

After I applied, I didn't hear anything. I called two weeks later to see if they received my app - the person refused to look and told me to give it another week for an app acknowledgment. Called a week later - got the same response. E-mailed the following week (5 weeks after applying) and finally got a response with a status checker. No e-mails, updates, nothing since.

Every time I call I seem to reach some one that is either having a bad day or sick of students calling. I'm extremely polite and soft spoken on the phone (and in general). I usually apologize to the person for calling - though I shouldn't have to.

Patience was never my strong suit, but I wouldn't say that I'm "furious" with Fordham. However, the way I've been treated when I call combined with not receiving any communication, has made me extremely frustrated.
I understand. But remember, you are an applicant. There are thousands of others like you. Fordham doesn't have the resources to give every single applicant individualized attention. You paid for what they said they would give you: an answer by May 1. Demanding more than that makes you sound entitled. If May 1 passes and you don't have a decision, then you have every right to ask what's going on. But that's more than a month away. Give it some time... :-)

starsong

Bronze

Post by starsong » Mon Mar 29, 2010 1:18 pm

sibley wrote:Ok! LOCI is done (thanks to my helpful editors!) and sent. Sent to Kristina Haff, Dean Brown, and director of the clinic I'm interested in, just for the heck of it. Hopefully it leads to good news.
+1!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

sibley

Gold

Post by sibley » Mon Mar 29, 2010 1:20 pm

starsong wrote:
sibley wrote:Ok! LOCI is done (thanks to my helpful editors!) and sent. Sent to Kristina Haff, Dean Brown, and director of the clinic I'm interested in, just for the heck of it. Hopefully it leads to good news.
+1!
also, it sucks that the above poster had a crappy time dealing with them (and I got hung up on by the admissions receptionist once...but I called back and she was pleasant) but Kristina Haff already responded to my email =)

Foosters Galore

Bronze

Post by Foosters Galore » Mon Mar 29, 2010 1:26 pm

Ok, so after being WLed after expecting a rejection I have a few questions regarding the WL at fordham. I haven't been following this thread as I wasn't considering Fordham as a legitimate option, but now I'm definitely interested. How deep does fordham usually reach into the WL pool? Like most schools, I'm sure it varies year to year. I've yet to receive the WL letter, but do they address the ranking of WL candidates within? I am planning on drafting a LOCI as soon as the letter arrives. The fact that I know nothing about the school will certainly make this interesting

sibley

Gold

Post by sibley » Mon Mar 29, 2010 1:27 pm

Foosters Galore wrote:Ok, so after being WLed after expecting a rejection I have a few questions regarding the WL at fordham. I haven't been following this thread as I wasn't considering Fordham as a legitimate option, but now I'm definitely interested. How deep does fordham usually reach into the WL pool? Like most schools, I'm sure it varies year to year. I've yet to receive the WL letter, but do they address the ranking of WL candidates within? I am planning on drafting a LOCI as soon as the letter arrives. The fact that I know nothing about the school will certainly make this interesting
Go read up on their clinics for your LOCI... I just did mine =D I asked about the waitlist and they said to email them after April 15 (so they can see who puts down deposits). Still waiting on one response from them about it though.

LaurenGayle

Bronze

Post by LaurenGayle » Mon Mar 29, 2010 1:45 pm

Anyone just get the "New Info Regarding Direct Loans" email? I'm still totally confused, but it's nice of them to address it and promise to keep us posted.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

starsong

Bronze

Post by starsong » Mon Mar 29, 2010 1:46 pm

LaurenGayle wrote:Anyone just get the "New Info Regarding Direct Loans" email? I'm still totally confused, but it's nice of them to address it and promise to keep us posted.
I did too. It just means that the fed government will be our lender, no other bank is involved.

LaurenGayle

Bronze

Post by LaurenGayle » Mon Mar 29, 2010 1:51 pm

starsong wrote:
LaurenGayle wrote:Anyone just get the "New Info Regarding Direct Loans" email? I'm still totally confused, but it's nice of them to address it and promise to keep us posted.
I did too. It just means that the fed government will be our lender, no other bank is involved.
Yeah, I guess I was confused because they started addressing previous loans. I just get really nervous when it comes to borrowing huge amounts of money haha.

starsong

Bronze

Post by starsong » Mon Mar 29, 2010 1:53 pm

LaurenGayle wrote:
starsong wrote:
Yeah, I guess I was confused because they started addressing previous loans. I just get really nervous when it comes to borrowing huge amounts of money haha.
Yeah I know, I get the same feeling every three months when I get my statement on the interest accumulating on my UG loans. It's like ok f** not thinking about this lol. But then I remember that about 50% of Fordham c/o 2009 grads got jobs @ $160k, and I calm down again :-).

xokel87

Bronze

Post by xokel87 » Mon Mar 29, 2010 1:55 pm

Sry if this has been answered.. I tried to scan through the past couple of pages and didn't see it. Do we know if a lot of non-need based/loan money has gone out? I was accepted 2/12. lsat at median, gpa above 75th.
Last edited by xokel87 on Mon Mar 29, 2010 1:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”