Fordham Waiting Room

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
sibley

Re: Fordham Waiting Room

Postby sibley » Mon Mar 29, 2010 10:16 am

LaurenGayle wrote:
sibley wrote:
hannah87 wrote:
sibley wrote:
hannah! what's up with you lately? made any decisions?

hi :) . no decisions. still haven't heard from NYU!! i hate that i have to wait until april for a WL. i really liked Fordham on thursday night (when I met with OS and sat in on a class) and am sad I didn't get to go to ASD. i'm still considering Cardozo, too. did you get the pretty Dozo info packet in the mail over the weekend? i don't understand what's taking Fordham so long to send goodies!

yeah I got the packet! I loved the rubber band, lol. I was actually a little disappointed by it though. The letter was all "courses! woohoo!" but it was really just promotional materials. I want the real coursebook. I want to see what I can take!

Does the packet include forms to fill out? Or information about sending in deposits?

nope. the seat deposit info was in the first packet... but... we're talking about the Cardozo one, you know right?

LaurenGayle

Postby LaurenGayle » Mon Mar 29, 2010 10:18 am

sibley wrote:
nope. the seat deposit info was in the first packet... but... we're talking about the Cardozo one, you know right?

Ahh, ok. I'm still waiting for the Fordham one. Thanks!

sibley

Postby sibley » Mon Mar 29, 2010 10:20 am

LaurenGayle wrote:
sibley wrote:

I'm still waitlisted at Fordham. gotta send in my LOCI still. anyone know if they give out any need based grants?

LaurenGayle

Postby LaurenGayle » Mon Mar 29, 2010 10:23 am

sibley wrote:
LaurenGayle wrote:
sibley wrote:

I'm still waitlisted at Fordham. gotta send in my LOCI still. anyone know if they give out any need based grants?

Yup http://law.fordham.edu/financial-aid/1892.htm

sibley

Postby sibley » Mon Mar 29, 2010 10:28 am

LaurenGayle wrote:
sibley wrote:
LaurenGayle wrote:
sibley wrote:

Yup http://law.fordham.edu/financial-aid/1892.htm

thanks =) it's so good to know that if I get off the WL I might actually be able to get some money. I'm quite poor.

chutzpah

Postby chutzpah » Mon Mar 29, 2010 10:28 am

LaurenGayle wrote:
sibley wrote:

They gave out the admitted students booklet at the ASD. They said there were delays in the printing but they're ready now and should be going in the mail soon to those who werent at the ASD.

jk11287

Postby jk11287 » Mon Mar 29, 2010 10:29 am

starsong wrote:
chutzpah wrote:Aw shucks, thanks guys.

Let me say to everyone else: Fordham is great. Go there.

My biggest gripe, as a New Yorker, is when the sales pitch claims its "in the heart of the upper west side". I consider the area around 79th the true center of the UWS. The west 60s are just barely outside of midtown. ;)

Speaking of that, any tips on finding cheap apartments in the area? I've found reasonable prices in places like 79th, but it would be nice to be a little closer.

The Hell's Kitchen area is very (comparatively) reasonable if youre set on staying in Manhattan...and you can walk to school.

hannah87

Postby hannah87 » Mon Mar 29, 2010 10:29 am

chutzpah wrote:
LaurenGayle wrote:
sibley wrote:

They gave out the admitted students booklet at the ASD. They said there were delays in the printing but they're ready now and should be going in the mail soon to those who werent at the ASD.

cool. thanks! i have the 2009 viewbook but only because i met with admissions earlier this month.

jk11287

Postby jk11287 » Mon Mar 29, 2010 10:33 am

Anyway, I was also at ASD and I only went so I could cross Fordham off my list and put down my seat deposit at GW...and I'm putting down my seat deposit today at FORDHAM! I'm not going to lie, the location is the main attraction for me (I'm from NY, and have lived in other places for the last 5 years) because I'm anxious to be in NYC. However, I was genuinely impressed with what I saw. I'll agree with everyone else that the classrooms are really nothing to speak of, but that didn't bother me at all. I actually feel like a really high tech, brand new class room would be great, but its something that may cause you to choose a school for the wrong reasons. For example, I chose my undergrad based on dorm size...probably not the best idea. I think we have to take all the speeches from various deans/administrators with a grain of salt, but for some reason I really did get the impression that they are really interested in (if not the individual) preserving Fordham's reputation and recognize that taking extra measures to ensure success for the grads is the best way to do that.

hannah87

Postby hannah87 » Mon Mar 29, 2010 10:39 am

jk11287 wrote:Anyway, I was also at ASD and I only went so I could cross Fordham off my list and put down my seat deposit at GW...and I'm putting down my seat deposit today at FORDHAM! I'm not going to lie, the location is the main attraction for me (I'm from NY, and have lived in other places for the last 5 years) because I'm anxious to be in NYC. However, I was genuinely impressed with what I saw. I'll agree with everyone else that the classrooms are really nothing to speak of, but that didn't bother me at all. I actually feel like a really high tech, brand new class room would be great, but its something that may cause you to choose a school for the wrong reasons. For example, I chose my undergrad based on dorm size...probably not the best idea. I think we have to take all the speeches from various deans/administrators with a grain of salt, but for some reason I really did get the impression that they are really interested in (if not the individual) preserving Fordham's reputation and recognize that taking extra measures to ensure success for the grads is the best way to do that.

this is very encouraging. thanks! and congrats on your decision!!

starsong

Postby starsong » Mon Mar 29, 2010 10:47 am

hannah87 wrote:
starsong wrote:

My biggest gripe, as a New Yorker, is when the sales pitch claims its "in the heart of the upper west side". I consider the area around 79th the true center of the UWS. The west 60s are just barely outside of midtown. ;)

Speaking of that, any tips on finding cheap apartments in the area? I've found reasonable prices in places like 79th, but it would be nice to be a little closer.

79th is too far?? i live in Sheepshead Bay :( :( :(

OK, I'm spoiled :-). You going to stay down there if you pick Fordham?

hannah87

Postby hannah87 » Mon Mar 29, 2010 10:49 am

starsong wrote:
hannah87 wrote:
starsong wrote:

hehe. yeah, at least for a while. it's my grandparents' building so it's free! commuting will be a bitch, though.

sibley

Postby sibley » Mon Mar 29, 2010 10:52 am

hannah87 wrote:
starsong wrote:
hannah87 wrote:
starsong wrote:Speaking of that, any tips on finding cheap apartments in the area? I've found reasonable prices in places like 79th, but it would be nice to be a little closer.

hehe. yeah, at least for a while. it's my grandparents' building so it's free! commuting will be a bitch, though.

oh nice! when I was with my old bf his grandparents sold an apartment they were keeping in the city that was just sitting empty. we begged them not to. if I end up in nyc I may move in with my now-bf's parents. at least for a little while.

Would anyone be willing to help me with a LOCI for Fordham? I really have no idea what I'm doing or what they'd like to hear. I don't want to turn them off.

starsong

Postby starsong » Mon Mar 29, 2010 10:53 am

hannah87 wrote:hi :) . no decisions. still haven't heard from NYU!! i hate that i have to wait until april for a WL. i really liked Fordham on thursday night (when I met with OS and sat in on a class) and am sad I didn't get to go to ASD. i'm still considering Cardozo, too. did you get the pretty Dozo info packet in the mail over the weekend? i don't understand what's taking Fordham so long to send goodies!

I can't believe you're still considering Dozo :-). Don't be a bozo, as they say... :-)

Seriously, you want biglaw right? A <10% chance is REALLY different from 50%+! What's bothering you, the debt @ Fordham? Don't forget about IBR, and with Obama's latest student-loan reform, it's even a sweeter backup plan. I'm not going to let you go on this one (even though with a 75k scholly you're obviously smart so I should be telling you to pick Dozo to make the Fordham curve easier for the rest of us! ;-))

edited to prevent emoticon overload.
Last edited by starsong on Mon Mar 29, 2010 10:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

chutzpah

Postby chutzpah » Mon Mar 29, 2010 10:56 am

starsong wrote:
hannah87 wrote:hi :) . no decisions. still haven't heard from NYU!! i hate that i have to wait until april for a WL. i really liked Fordham on thursday night (when I met with OS and sat in on a class) and am sad I didn't get to go to ASD. i'm still considering Cardozo, too. did you get the pretty Dozo info packet in the mail over the weekend? i don't understand what's taking Fordham so long to send goodies!

I can't believe you're still considering Dozo :-). Don't be a bozo, as they say... :-) :-) :-)

Seriously, you want biglaw right? A <10% chance is REALLY different from 50%+! What's bothering you, the debt @ Fordham? Don't forget about IBR, and with Obama's latest student-loan reform, it's even a sweeter backup plan. I'm not going to let you go on this one ;-) (even though with a 75k scholly you're obviously smart so I should be telling you to pick Dozo to make the Fordham curve easier for the rest of us! ;-))

omg emoticon overload!

starsong

Postby starsong » Mon Mar 29, 2010 10:57 am

jk11287 wrote:
starsong wrote:

The Hell's Kitchen area is very (comparatively) reasonable if youre set on staying in Manhattan...and you can walk to school.

Yeah? Nice, thank you!

starsong

Postby starsong » Mon Mar 29, 2010 10:58 am

chutzpah wrote:omg emoticon overload!

:| :| :| :| :| :|
:-)

Mathis

Postby Mathis » Mon Mar 29, 2010 10:59 am

sibley wrote:
hannah87 wrote:
sibley wrote:
hannah87 wrote:79th is too far?? i live in Sheepshead Bay :( :( :(

hannah! what's up with you lately? made any decisions?

hi :) . no decisions. still haven't heard from NYU!! i hate that i have to wait until april for a WL. i really liked Fordham on thursday night (when I met with OS and sat in on a class) and am sad I didn't get to go to ASD. i'm still considering Cardozo, too. did you get the pretty Dozo info packet in the mail over the weekend? i don't understand what's taking Fordham so long to send goodies!

yeah I got the packet! I loved the rubber band, lol. I was actually a little disappointed by it though. The letter was all "courses! woohoo!" but it was really just promotional materials. I want the real coursebook. I want to see what I can take!

What packet is this? I'm accepted at Cardozo as well. I didn't get a second packet, but I got a letter in the mail from Dean Miller on Friday basically saying they hope to see me in the Fall. That was it. Anyone else get this?

chutzpah

Postby chutzpah » Mon Mar 29, 2010 11:00 am

jk11287 wrote: I'll agree with everyone else that the classrooms are really nothing to speak of, but that didn't bother me at all. I actually feel like a really high tech, brand new class room would be great, but its something that may cause you to choose a school for the wrong reasons.

So I've mentioned before that I went to UVA, which has some brand new gorgeous facilities, and a lot of old crappy facilities (and a few really really old but still beautiful buildings). I can pretty confidently say that there was no correlation between niceness of classroom to quality of class. I think it only makes a big difference in hard science lab facilities and law is not chemistry.

sibley

Postby sibley » Mon Mar 29, 2010 11:02 am

Mathis wrote:
sibley wrote:
hannah87 wrote:
sibley wrote:hannah! what's up with you lately? made any decisions?

What packet is this? I'm accepted at Cardozo as well. I didn't get a second packet, but I got a letter in the mail from Dean Miller on Friday basically saying they hope to see me in the Fall. That was it. Anyone else get this?

it's another mylar one, it just has a non-custom letter in it and promotional materials on the academics.

Mathis

Postby Mathis » Mon Mar 29, 2010 11:04 am

What packet is this? I'm accepted at Cardozo as well. I didn't get a second packet, but I got a letter in the mail from Dean Miller on Friday basically saying they hope to see me in the Fall. That was it. Anyone else get this?[/quote]

it's another mylar one, it just has a non-custom letter in it and promotional materials on the academics.[/quote]

Ah, ok. Maybe I will get it today!

nowinGA

Postby nowinGA » Mon Mar 29, 2010 11:07 am

Has anyone who took the February LSAT heard back from Fordham yet? I just called to follow up and she said it would be 6-8 weeks from when they go that score...though she added that they were trying to speed it up, and there is a possibility that it would be more like 4 weeks (which I guess would be sometime next week or so...)

Just curious if anyone who waited on that score has had a decision. I still show complete 1/29...

hannah87

Postby hannah87 » Mon Mar 29, 2010 11:18 am

starsong wrote:

I can't believe you're still considering Dozo :-). Don't be a bozo, as they say... :-)

Seriously, you want biglaw right? A <10% chance is REALLY different from 50%+! What's bothering you, the debt @ Fordham? Don't forget about IBR, and with Obama's latest student-loan reform, it's even a sweeter backup plan. I'm not going to let you go on this one (even though with a 75k scholly you're obviously smart so I should be telling you to pick Dozo to make the Fordham curve easier for the rest of us! ;-))

edited to prevent emoticon overload.

:lol: . thanks, starsong! the main reason i'm still considering dozo is the money. FREE law school sounds pretty awesome. also, i was impressed at their ASD. maybe it was just the shiny new building, though.

also, the fact that it IS possible to go biglaw from there. my husband's cousin (Cardozo '09) got offers at 2 biglaw firms and is working for Dewey LeBeouf (did I spell that correctly?). she was top 30% but had some connections. she had 30k/year at Cardozo (she maintained the scholly by meeting the GPA minimum) whereas I have full ride guaranteed. she has no regrets.

evilgenius

Postby evilgenius » Mon Mar 29, 2010 11:22 am

Arrrgh. I just called the admissions office and their "systems are down". The person I spoke with told me they usually take 6-8 weeks to review applications. When I told her that I applied 10 weeks ago she basically said "oh well". Give it a couple more weeks.

Does anyone know if Fordham will refund the application fee if one withdraws their application? Fordham is taking entirely too long. And unlike most law schools, they haven't even sent teaser e-mails indicating that they care that I applied. I'm not impressed at all and if this is how they treat prospective students, willing to pay over $40K per year to attend, I can't imagine how I will be treated if I enrolled.

starsong

Postby starsong » Mon Mar 29, 2010 11:28 am

hannah87 wrote: :lol: . thanks, starsong! the main reason i'm still considering dozo is the money. FREE law school sounds pretty awesome. also, i was impressed at their ASD. maybe it was just the shiny new building, though.

also, the fact that it IS possible to go biglaw from there. my husband's cousin (Cardozo '09) got offers at 2 biglaw firms and is working for Dewey LeBeouf (did I spell that correctly?). she was top 30% but had some connections. she had 30k/year at Cardozo (she maintained the scholly by meeting the GPA minimum) whereas I have full ride guaranteed. she has no regrets.

Oh really? Nice! Well, yeah, you're right, less debt = less risk. And you'll probably set the curve there. Between you and me, it would be nice to go to a school that gives you a break for Passover. My (top 30 private) UG has a 5-day Easter holiday but little for the Jewish among us.

I still think you should go to Fordham though. :-) Just think, you could have 5, 10 biglaw offers instead of 2. Make law review and you're in at a V5 firm like Skadden, which opens endless career opportunities down the road.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”